What's the company culture at Home Depot?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 153)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Home Depot?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Home Depot?

Reply - Report abuse

hek0017 in Glassport, Pennsylvania

91 months ago

I can't speak for home depot, but I work for Lowes so it may be similar and may help you. I've been there about 3 years now. Employees are usually in jeans and a nice shirt. (but not too nice.. it's bound to get ruined) The managers (including the hr managers) usually are dressed up more than the floor assosiates. Typical dress for a male manager is slacks and a polo. For a female manager it's slacks and a nice button down shirt. (but they still wear the vests)

To get a job there was easy. I was contacted after I had completed an online application from the Lowes website. I had 3 interviews with three different managers. Another benifit to working at Lowes is that we get a 10% discount (home depot does not give employee discounts ;-) and we also have great stock options!

The best time to apply is in May. That is usually when they do most of their hiring so everyone can train at the same time.

It is a great enviornment and a great place to work. A lot of employees from our store go to a local spot on Friday nights so we can all sing and have a good time after work.

Your work hours will vary from day to day depending on corperate schedule. I don't mind because I wouldn't like the same shift over and over.

Again, this is speaking on behalf of Lowes but I'm sure things work very similar at the Home Deopt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

XXXX in Fairbanks, Alaska

90 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Home Depot?
Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

It was casual dress even for the office people. Management did have dress nice, no jeans for them.
At the store I worked at you had to be part of the clique to be invited to anything.
Most employees in the store I worked in pretty much walked around or hung out in the break room, or Human Resource managers office if you were her friend. Try finding someone on the sales floor who knew what was going on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Mike M in denver in Denver, Colorado

90 months ago

What does the typical floor sales associate make at Lowe's?

hek0017 said: I can't speak for home depot, but I work for Lowes so it may be similar and may help you. I've been there about 3 years now. Employees are usually in jeans and a nice shirt. (but not too nice.. it's bound to get ruined) The managers (including the hr managers) usually are dressed up more than the floor assosiates. Typical dress for a male manager is slacks and a polo. For a female manager it's slacks and a nice button down shirt. (but they still wear the vests)
To get a job there was easy. I was contacted after I had completed an online application from the Lowes website. I had 3 interviews with three different managers. Another benifit to working at Lowes is that we get a 10% discount (home depot does not give employee discounts ;-) and we also have great stock options!
The best time to apply is in May. That is usually when they do most of their hiring so everyone can train at the same time.
It is a great enviornment and a great place to work. A lot of employees from our store go to a local spot on Friday nights so we can all sing and have a good time after work.
Your work hours will vary from day to day depending on corperate schedule. I don't mind because I wouldn't like the same shift over and over.
Again, this is speaking on behalf of Lowes but I'm sure things work very similar at the Home Deopt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Jon in Salt Lake City, Utah

90 months ago

Home Depot is much like Costco in that they hire friendly people, train to work for their style of retail, and many people stay for a very long time. Employees of both companies frequently refer to their coworkers, both superiors and subordinates, as family.

That said, both companies promote from within. Much like royalty, this results in certain types of "inbreeding", with a lack of outside influence to help spice up the gene pool.

If you do well working with friendly people, without the desire to actually provide your own contributions beyond what is spelled out clearly in your job description, then Home Depot is for you. If you're the analytical type who frequently knows how to improve things (even with a proven record of success) then Home Depot will be nothing more than a headache for you.

Great company, but not for everyone. (I personally haven't worked there, but have several friends and one family member who do or have, and this is my summary of their experiences.)

In response to the previous post about having worked for both Lowes and Home Depot, let me give you a little insight from the customers perspective: Nobody shopping for raw lumber or caulk or a large spool of industrial wire cares if you're dressed better than the guys at the other store. They want good customer service with rapid response. For me Lowes is an extra 10 or 12 minutes away (each direction), but I find the trips to be much faster because the employees, who are willing to work beyond their own specific job description, are far more helpful when you need to find something. I get a lot more vague pointing and "I think it's on like Aisle 21 or 23 or something" type answers at Home Depot and a lot more "I'll help you find that" type service at Lowes. Not absolutely true in all cases, but consistent enough to send me to Lowes more often than not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

the "CHAB" in Norfolk, Virginia

90 months ago

I work in one of Home Depot's 65+ million boxes. I really enjoy my job allthough the department supervisors position is one of the hardest positions in the store. I am a female and on the sales floor you will not catch me in a nice button up shirt. I am just as hands on in the dusty and dirty overheads as any of the men are. Most of the DSUPs in my store wear blue jeans with a polo or a button. We have two store managers and they both wear slacks---they are new to our store and I have never seen either one of them in an apron. FRANKY PIPES---she always wore an apron on the floor. She was the best manager to work for but unfortunately we lost her to TARGET. They probably cut her pay to settle with big bob.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Head Cashier in San Diego, California

90 months ago

I was hired 6 months ago as a Head Cashier at the Home Depot. Working at the HD isn't so bad when there are ENOUGH employees on the sales floor. Ofcourse, that means sales drives more hours and manpower into the store. But even so, both HD and Lowe's have the opportunity to hire random associates to work in their stores with the EXCEPTION that for some reason, Lowe's (from what i hear A LOT) associates are friendlier(spellcheck) to their customers. There's something definitely different when comparing customer service as a whole. I'm sure both companies have their VOC's(voice of the customers) and the same names come up time and time again. I've seen great days, awesome days when we associates say hello to one another with a smile on their faces. The rhythm of customer service just isn't as consistent at the HD than it is with Lowes. btw about the dress codes, mainly you are expected to wear pants and a collared shirt. depending on the geographical regions of your HD you could possibly wear shorts if its okay with your store manager. myself as a HC and some of the gentlemen in the plumbing dept that i talk to a lot would wear dress pants and nice (church-like) shirts to work. ofcourse you wouldnt find an employee in building materials or lumber like that considering how DUSTY and dirty their jobs in their depts can get. overall, the lifestyle at the HD is a wide-range of cliques just as you'd find in any business. friendships are classified just like they are when you meet someone new; by seeing how much you have in common etc. HD or Lowes, well..just remember to treat customers the way YOU would want to be treated. the rest is decided by wages per hour. In our region, Lowes offered our associates more money to work with them...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Woodeen in Novato, California

89 months ago

I worked for Home Depot. They have very few female managers for one thing. I have never been treated so badly in any job I have previously had. I was involved with the opening of a store. I worked my butt off and in the beginning thought Home Depot cared about it's employees. This did not turn out to be true. I was fired just before Christmas. It wounded me deeply. My confidence has been compromised entirely.

When the store opened they did not come near to the sales goal they thought they were going to achieve so they started firing people left and right. The most experienced workers started quitting because the management style horrendous. They fired people for trumped up reasons just to get them off their payroll to make their bottom line look better.

Customers were angry about lack of service, lack of knowledge and long lines. I watched people leave their carts behind because they couldn't handle the wait. Meantime Home Depot management kept firing the knowledgeable employees for any reason they could come up with because they were the employees that got paid more. They stripped the store of older more experience talent and that left the store with a high percentage of very young inexperienced staff.

I would not recommend Home Depot as a work place to anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Murphy in Cleveland, Ohio

89 months ago

This is a horrible company to work for. The harder you work for them the worst they treat you. They need a good dose of UNION ACTIVITY in their stores to wake them up so they start treating everyone "equal"!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

William in New York, New York

88 months ago

Used to run a Home Depot (N.E. Region) true when Bob came to town they "Removed" all the experianced workers so they could reduce the bottom line. Problem being the Eight Dollar an hour help really doesn't care. Would you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

T. in New Hampshire in Derry, New Hampshire

88 months ago

I work at Home Depot and have been there for a year now. Definitely wouldnt recommend working there if you have any self respect. Employees arent treated like people, but more like robots. They expect the world out of you, but when it is time to give back to us, there is NOTHING. We have a new store manager who walks by us like we are strangers, and doesnt even care to know our names. You have to realize this is a huge company that isnt going to change.. why would they when they can just get rid of the problem? They will tell you whatever you want to hear to your face but do the complete opposite. It's actually sickening. If I didn't love the people I work with so much I would have been out of there months ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

liz pace in Stoughton, Massachusetts

87 months ago

What do you do about an employee that is wearing black for the 1st year after a loved one passes because of religion. Do you make them wear the apron and go against their religion? Do you give them a black apron? Or do you let them not wear an apron for that year?
Liz Pace

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (49) Reply - Report abuse

hdtex in Atlanta, Georgia

87 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Home Depot?

You'll never come across a more disfunctional unhappy group of people.Imagine working at a company so large and disjointed that it combines the worst of the post office, the IRS, and a secret cult....I worked at the SSC in Atlanta for 3 years of misery. It's not what you know, but WHO you know, and how fast and thouroughly you can lick and kiss ass.
I can count the number of "good" days on one hand.
Hugely stressful and futile...if you don't drink the "orange kool-aid" you are doomed.
To be avoided at all costs....
Run...don't walk away from this sick sick environment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Nora in San Antonio, Texas

87 months ago

I just have to tell this story...

Y'all remember when MSN posted a story about how HD was losing market share due to shoddy customer service? It was one of their stories they opened up for comments. I understand they had to close the board for new comments because they were swamped within hours with people writing about their experiences. A few days later, the new CEO of HD posted an apology for the poor service and said he wanted to know what were people's experiences. There was an email address to send messages to. I wrote an email detailing how when my sister and I needed help, the two HD employees who saw us heading toward them scattered like wet kittens. I also wrote about the interview my husband had with a director and how this person did not interview him. Only complained about how bad HD was and how he didn't want to work there.

About 2 weeks later, I received at call from Ms. So-and-so from Mr. Big CEO's office to say he had received my email and she was calling to follow up. You could have knocked me down with a feather! She seemed to be mostly concerned about what I thought HD could improve in the stores. I pointed out that the attitutes in the stores didn't appear from the void, they trickled down from middle and upper management. She spoke with me for about 40 minutes. She told me that they were bringing back the "subject experts" to the stores. That means when you ask a plumbing question someone with actual experience in plumbing will be there to answer your question. It was the most surreal thing to ever happen to me.

I can only hope that this is evidence of the real decision makers growing a brain. I will believe this is a change for the better for HD when the "subject experts" are still employed a year later and that this is not just a quick fix.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Lawton, Oklahoma

87 months ago

hek0017 in Glassport, Pennsylvania said: I can't speak for home depot, but I work for Lowes so it may be similar and may help you. I've been there about 3 years now. Employees are usually in jeans and a nice shirt. (but not too nice.. it's bound to get ruined) The managers (including the hr managers) usually are dressed up more than the floor assosiates. Typical dress for a male manager is slacks and a polo. For a female manager it's slacks and a nice button down shirt. (but they still wear the vests)

Home Depot does not give a 10% discount because twice a year they have bonus checks that are paid out. The checks vary is amounts based on your departments goals and how they did for that time period but so far everyone is telling me that they are around $500. The 10% discount may save you the taxes from your purchase but unless it is somewhere like Wal-Mart were you shop all the time it will never add up to $500. Or unless you are a contractor on the side and spend every other day in Lowes. I just wanted to make sure that folks know the reason there is not a 10% discount at Home Depot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

head cashier in San Diego, California

87 months ago

you're right about why HD doesn't do the 10% discounts..plus, the HD is affiliated with many other companies for example, phone companies and gym memberships whom all give a discount.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Tommy in Huntsville, Alabama

87 months ago

Y'all can gripe all you want. Bottom line is that working at HD or at Lowe's is a retail job. The odd catch is that not only are you expected to sell stuff like any retail job, you are basically explaining "how to" on many levels. You basically are telling people how to fix stuff and are accountable for what you tell them. If you want something better (or expect something different) then you should try to go to college. Home Depot has a dress code, men must wear a collar, no cut off shorts. Don't know about women.

I have been with HD for almost 3 years now. I enjoy what I do, am good at what I do, and I am paid well for what I do, but that's about it. The politics of the store are awful. The decision making process from the store management is laughable. The decision making process from corporate is mostly out of touch (although we hope this will change somewhat with the new CEO).

The only advise I would give anyone who is trying for a job at HD or Lowe's -- when you first negotiate your pay, shoot for the moon. Do not let them hire you on at $7 - $9 an hour. Demand the more! One thing I often see is that someone who doesn't come in and negotiate hard for their starting salary will never make much more than they start at, no matter how long they are with the company. I know people who have been there 15 years and are just now making $13 an hour. Of course they want to blame that on the company when in fact they are responsible for agreeing to a lower pay-rate. Basically, after 3 months IF they decide to hire you, you get a .50 raise. After that you should expect around $.20 - $.40 cents per year. Using that math you can expect to work for HD for up to 5 years before getting a dollar more an hour than what you started at! So if you want to stay with the store, there is no one to blame but yourself for your own salary. That's one problem I see a lot; people come in young and don't know that their hourly pay rate is negotiable ONLY ONE TIME.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (94) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

..thank you. you're exactly right on all fronts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Inquiring in Columbus, Ohio

87 months ago

What would you say is ballpark salary for an assistant manager and/or a branch manager at HD?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

june

87 months ago

i just started working for homedepot and i love it, i love the pay and i love my hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

june

87 months ago

the workers are dress down,and they sound like they love to work there and they pay more, lowes i no my friend works at lowes but he wants to come to homedepot because we pay more

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

june

87 months ago

the culture is great where i work at, and the people i work with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

heck yeah, im glad i live and work in southern california. a lot of people want to come here because the culture is more lax' and nicer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

needajob in Des Moines, Iowa

87 months ago

how old do you have to be to work at either of them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

head cashier

87 months ago

18 yrs old

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

june

87 months ago

head cashier in San Diego, California said: heck yeah, im glad i live and work in southern california. a lot of people want to come here because the culture is more lax' and nicer.

but its to hot i love philly the perfect temperture all year round and down hear we are real diverse people from all walk of work here we dont discriminate. see on the flip side cali

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

june

87 months ago

18yrs because of the machinery in there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

I'd like to see the letter in Carrollton, Georgia

87 months ago

hdtex in Atlanta, Georgia said: You'll never come across a more disfunctional unhappy group of people.Imagine working at a company so large and disjointed that it combines the worst of the post office, the IRS, and a secret cult....I worked at the SSC in Atlanta for 3 years of misery. It's not what you know, but WHO you know, and how fast and thouroughly you can lick and kiss ass.
I can count the number of "good" days on one hand.
Hugely stressful and futile...if you don't drink the "orange kool-aid" you are doomed.
To be avoided at all costs....
Run...don't walk away from this sick sick environment.

I totally agree!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

wrongstuffgoingon in Oakland, California

87 months ago

The dress code at Home Depot is casual, but the work enviroment is not good. Management is poorly trained and don't care how many people they hire or fire. They have a high turn over rate because of how poorly they treat the employees, so people quit a lot and then there are a lot of unqualified people working in the store. They also will fire anyone who they feel is not one of "them." It is very much like being in a dictatorship with a grade school mentality operating the place. Highly stressfull because of the lack of employees willing to stay and put up with the dumbies running the place!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

disgruntled in Chandler, Arizona

86 months ago

I just quit HD as an HR manager, exactly for the reasons you just stated. Firing people for trumped up reasons, I didn't want any part of it. Horrible place, treated female managers like crap.
Don't work there people!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Diana in California in Murrieta, California

86 months ago

disgruntled in Chandler, Arizona said: I just quit HD as an HR manager, exactly for the reasons you just stated. Firing people for trumped up reasons, I didn't want any part of it. Horrible place, treated female managers like crap.
Don't work there people!

I was one of those female managers, now on a workers comp for nearly four years and still fighting for treatment... 5 herniated discs. I actually was demoted after a stress leave and paid a great deal of money to NOT go to the Regional HR with my story, and went back into the same district.. My NEW assistant manager was TOLD by the District Manager to find something on me to have me fired...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Budd Lake, New Jersey

86 months ago

I'm a loader at Lowe's and I really can't say anything negative about Lowe's and the way it runs it's business. I get treated with respect by my fellow associates and it is a healthy environment to work in. Since I work in the front end, I constantly hear customers complain about how much better Lowe's is than HD and couldn't agree more from my past experiences. Lowe's is the way to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

cindy in Farmington, Minnesota

85 months ago

I work in Home Depot in Minnesota, in the garden center. It's strictly a summer job for me, yet I have never been treated so poorly by a company in my life. My first day of work the manager (who never introduced himself or asked my name) told me to go over to the computer and take a quick monthly quiz. He said "You know, you have to do it once a month just like a period."!!! Luckily I don't work with him often! The next time I saw him was about a week later and I walked up to him and said, "Wow, that was a busy weekend." He told me to "Shut up, zip it, and quit my b------." He is intolerable!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

I am so sorry that this is your experience. I realy think you should consider reporting him to HR, expecially if this is only a summer job, then change departments or go to Lowe's... no, seriously... I also would reccommend you having the meeting with the Store Manager and the HR... together. I know that reporting his behavior potentially puts you on the "black" list, but when do we start to stand up for what is right???
Again, I am so sorry that you have endured this, I promise you, and I am sure this won't exactly make you feel good... you are not alone with this story.
:)
Diana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Matt in Budd Lake, New Jersey said: I'm a loader at Lowe's and I really can't say anything negative about Lowe's and the way it runs it's business. I get treated with respect by my fellow associates and it is a healthy environment to work in. Since I work in the front end, I constantly hear customers complain about how much better Lowe's is than HD and couldn't agree more from my past experiences. Lowe's is the way to go.

I now shop at Lowe's except for Behr paint.. that is the only thing I buy at HD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

James in Flintville, Tennessee

85 months ago

WOW ... After spending an hour reading everyone's comments all I can muster is WOW! I found this site search for the hourly rate that HD pays employees and what I found was several reasons not to apply. Moreover I am having a difficult time finding a good reason to even shop there period.
You see I have an excellent job as a manager at a very large corporation, I am paid very well, and I know some of you are thinking why am I seeking a position at HD? My wife and I had our fist child and she is going to stay home to raise her ... I figured if I took a part time weekend job at say ... HD, it may off set a very minimal portion of what my wife has lost no longer working. HD seemed like a good fit for me since I spend my days under an immense amount of stress at my regular position, but after reading your comments it would seem to me that I was going from the frying pan into the fire. Thank you all for your insight and comments. You may all and I mean ALL want to seek another position somewhere else ... life is too short to deal with those types of personalities and issues.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Deanna in Great Falls, Montana

84 months ago

The one here is biased. Men get promoted faster and get raises
faster than the women. They have a real big Good Ole Boy sydrome
going on here. If you are one of their boys, you can do a crappy job and only get a slap on the wrist. Most of the long term experienced employees have left. They have a skelton crew during the week to cut on store hours so the managers will get a bigger
bonus check. Trying to find help during the week is next to impossible. The customers complain about it all the time. Then at the morning meetings, they yell at you because we aren't getting enough sales. A customer comes to your department wanting help in another. We are not allowed to help them in that department. We are suppose to call that department and tell them we are sending a customer down. Either that department has customers waiting 10 deep for the one associate there or there is nobody in that department because of hours being cut.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

A friend in LA

84 months ago

cindy in Farmington, Minnesota said: I work in Home Depot in Minnesota, in the garden center. It's strictly a summer job for me, yet I have never been treated so poorly by a company in my life. My first day of work the manager (who never introduced himself or asked my name) told me to go over to the computer and take a quick monthly quiz. He said "You know, you have to do it once a month just like a period."!!! Luckily I don't work with him often! The next time I saw him was about a week later and I walked up to him and said, "Wow, that was a busy weekend." He told me to "Shut up, zip it, and quit my b------." He is intolerable!

Hi Cindy...I would see to it that this guy was hung upside down. they say "hurt people..hurt people". How sad for someone to do this to another. He will get what is coming to him...only a matter of time and everyone will get a wake-up call that workplace actions like this can ruin people and the hurt is real and tough to shake off. Hang in there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

PeterDunn in Denver, Colorado

84 months ago

Truth in Florence, Alabama said: Lowe's has a lot of catching up to do when it comes to running a wherehouse and HD seems to have mastered this now that there are 13 stores in China and numerous in Canada and Mexico. We even have a new CEO that is already showing how much he cares about the little guy! Good luck with your job hunt.

I worked at HD for two years and for one of their vendors after that. As far as working conditions go, HD has overnight freight teams that stock the store between 9am and 6pm. When I interviewed at Lowe's, I was surprised to see that all the freight is put in the aisles STARTING at 6am and the departments do their own up- and down-stocking. At HD, there are so many contractors in the store at 6am, there was no way you could block all those aisle.

Dress code at HD was a collared shirt (polo type) and jeans or shorts during the summer. As a department supervisor, I could't wear shorts, but my associates could. ASM's and higher had to wear polos and Docker-type pants.

Most of the managers I knew were terrific, and the company is very GLBT-friendly, and -- not as a stereotype, but as my personal experience -- the female managers worked as hard or harder then the guys, and had better people skills to boot.

That said, there are a few stinker-managers in there. They do eventually get weeded out, but it may take a year or two. I am glad that the useless Bob Nardelli is gone as CEO. Some of the ASM's I knew had lost over $1M in stock value during his tenure.

Long-term, HD is still a good career. I was paid $13/hr as a paint associate in 2002, and $15/hr as a DH the next year. Specialty associates can make much more, and the benefits kick in after about 90 days. Not bad for retail, but it is still retail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

It is such a tough situation, the managers are over tasked and undertrained and they do not know how to treat people. I used to say if you can throw freight at Home Depot, you will become a manager, because it is a "boys club"... I am sorry :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Oh my gosh, it is so sad and comforting simultaneously to think someone else has experienced the exact same things I have and felt to express themselves the same as well. I mentioned in an earlier post, that if you can throw freight at home depot you can be a manager... ( and we all know who throws freight the best)??
Thank you for your comment and I am sorry, too... I know how you feel.
Diana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

linda in Elyria, Ohio

84 months ago

hek0017 in Glassport, Pennsylvania said: I can't speak for home depot, but I work for Lowes so it may be similar and may help you. I've been there about 3 years now. Employees are usually in jeans and a nice shirt. (but not too nice.. it's bound to get ruined) The managers (including the hr managers) usually are dressed up more than the floor assosiates. Typical dress for a male manager is slacks and a polo. For a female manager it's slacks and a nice button down shirt. (but they still wear the vests)

home depot store manger wears jeans and a polo, and the hr of depot wears nice dress clothes, on occasion she may wear jeans or capris. the assistants may wear jeans or dockers. i know this because i worked for home depot. they offer 401 k and stock plans. but no discount, workers are put on back burner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

linda in Elyria, Ohio

84 months ago

Murphy in Cleveland, Ohio said: This is a horrible company to work for. The harder you work for them the worst they treat you. They need a good dose of UNION ACTIVITY in their stores to wake them up so they start treating everyone "equal"!

you are so right!!!!!! i worked for them for 6 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

linda in Elyria, Ohio

84 months ago

PeterDunn in Denver, Colorado said: I worked at HD for two years and for one of their vendors after that. As far as working conditions go, HD has overnight freight teams that stock the store between 9am and 6pm. When I interviewed at Lowe's, I was surprised to see that all the freight is put in the aisles STARTING at 6am and the departments do their own up- and down-stocking. At HD, there are so many contractors in the store at 6am, there was no way you could block all those aisle.

Dress code at HD was a collared shirt (polo type) and jeans or shorts during the summer. As a department supervisor, I could't wear shorts, but my associates could. ASM's and higher had to wear polos and Docker-type pants.

Most of the managers I knew were terrific, and the company is very GLBT-friendly, and -- not as a stereotype, but as my personal experience -- the female managers worked as hard or harder then the guys, and had better people skills to boot.

That said, there are a few stinker-managers in there. They do eventually get weeded out, but it may take a year or two. I am glad that the useless Bob Nardelli is gone as CEO. Some of the ASM's I knew had lost over $1M in stock value during his tenure.

Long-term, HD is still a good career. I was paid $13/hr as a paint associate in 2002, and $15/hr as a DH the next year. Specialty associates can make much more, and the benefits kick in after about 90 days. Not bad for retail, but it is still retail.

you are lucky, i worked as a dh i left may of 2007 making 13.85

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

linda in Elyria, Ohio

84 months ago

an employee in Lansdale, Pennsylvania said: I work at Home Depot. There is no dress code!

The menagement doesn't know how to run a business.

The store manager does not make the decissions about running the store, the distric manager does.

Employees are not treated as humans. They do not care about the person at all.

Yeah, come work for this company and help put back the $210 million dollars the CEO took.

I wish someone would have the balls to change the way the company treats their employees. I am surprised a union hasn't gotten in there. It is ripe for the taking.

home depot frowns on unions,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

I am sorry you are experiencing this still, I am sure you can find a better place to spend time and still pay off bills. I am not sure if there is actually comfort in realizing others have shared these experiences too, for me... it makes me sad. Good Luck to you.
D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

annonymous in San Diego, California

84 months ago

THANK YOU DIANA, AND I AM SO SORRY FOR WHAT YOU HAD TO EXPERIENCE AND TRULY HOPE YOU ARE MUCH HAPPIER NOW AND PERHAPS WORKING SOME WHERE ELSE. SUCH HORRIBLE TREAMENT, I AM APPALLED AT WHAT THEY MANAGED TO DO TO YOU!!!! YES I KNOW THERE ARE OTHER PLACES, BUT THIS IS CLOSE TO HOME AND I REALLY ENJOY MY CO-HEARTS. BUT THIS IS NOT FOREVER, JUST FOR TODAY ONE DAY AT A TIME. I AM OLDER AND I GET IT, I HAVE NO DESIRE OR INTENTION OF MOVING UP!!! SO, ONLY THROUGH WISDOM OF YEARS I SEE IT FOR WHAT IT IS. THERE WILL BE AN OPPORTUNITY I AM MOST SURE IN THE NEAR FUTURE TO LEAVE AND GO TO SOMETHING BETTER. I SPEAK FOR ABOUT 3/4 OF THE STORE, AS I PASS PEOPLE INSIDE AND OUTSIDE THE COMMON SPOKEN WORD IS "I HATE THIS PLACE"! GREAT ISN'T IT, WHAT A SHAME! I JUST KEEP ON SMILING AND TRY TO KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE, THAT IS WE ARE NOT THIS STORE NOR WHAT WE DO, BUT REALLY DECENT KIND PEOPLE WITH GOOD INTENTIONS. THANKS AGAIN!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

just a loving home depot associate in Waitsfield, Vermont

84 months ago

A typical day in the life of home depot: i've been there almost a year, doing everything the best i can and always doing whats asked of me, and a typical day consists of assist managers barking down your neck telling you our not getting ennough done and constant threats of being fired, completely randomly also- basically a scare tactic, which is why there is such a high turn over rate- why stick around and deal with it? Proper dress wear is jeans and a polo shirt of anything collared, always the apron. Biggest downfall to home depot- Lack of training for the assistant managers and the ones they do hire are always on a power trip generally doing basically what was stated up above, threats and such to attempt to keep people in line- good work home depot. If theres a lowes near you, go there; if there was one near me i'd be there also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

work again.. I have been on a workers comp injury case for 4 years from Home Depot. The insurance company Sedgewick is fighting this case all the way... they seem bent to turn me into a suicide case. I have 5 herniated discs and have a subjective test called a discogram that indicates I need surgery. I am in a great deal of pain ALL the time.. Home Depot broke my heart, and my back... I will move on, I always do.... but there is no work on the horizon for me... and they should show enough integrity to honor their promise and treat me.
Thanks for you kind words and I honestly pray for the best for you, a positive attitude will help a lot!!!
D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Laura Mercer in San diego, California

80 months ago

I have worked at Home Depot for the past 2 years. My position is very different than most people in the store. I work in the vault. I spend all day sitting on my ass, reading magazines, surfing the internet, chatting on the phone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.