Hyatt Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Host

It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Hyatt?

Any advice on striking the right note?

Reply - Report abuse

sarge smith in Alameda, California

87 months ago

Host said: It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Hyatt?

Always emphasize on customer service and friendliness. Remember customer always comes first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Host said: It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Hyatt?
Just relax and let the interviewer lead the conversation. Be prepared to dress in your best business attire suit.always smile and never use the the word "I don't know" always have a sentence or two on a yes or no question from the interviewer. Hyatt personnel are probably some of the best in the business and they would treat you professionally and courteously during the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Arrive at least 10 minutes before your interview time. Dress professionally. No heavy perfume or cologne. Make sure your hair is neatly combed and your shoes polished. Believe me they will observe this.
Hyatt is in the business of guest services. So your answer should emphasize on customer service and treating them efficiently and always with a smile. I got the job because my answer was always on customer service first. Your hours should be flexible as i always receive a call to work on my days off. The benefits are great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

David in Osseo, Minnesota

87 months ago

I interviewed at Spikes a few weeks ago for Bartender position, nice Manager, nice Bar, they plan on updating the menu and get away from the Breaded Chicken wing food that all sport bars offer.

The pay is $14 an hour plus tips, BUT you have to pay to park in the ramp every night.....so subtract $ back out.

I asked what the average sales were and the answer was "I don't know.......somewhere between $0 and $500..."

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

sarge smith said: Just relax and let the interviewer lead the conversation. Be prepared to dress in your best business attire suit.always smile and never use the the word "I don't know" always have a sentence or two on a yes or no question from the interviewer. Hyatt personnel are probably some of the best in the business and they would treat you professionally and courteously during the interview.

"Best Business Suit or attire" = You look scared and uptight. Worst yet you look and sound like everyone else.

Be professional in the interview....have fun and be yourself.

"Always smile"
Talk about looking like a phoney....you don't need a smile pasted on your face.....once again...BE YOURSELF.

and never use the the (phrase) "I don't know"
What if the question was: Do you know our internal guidelines for handling guests who are intoxicated.

The honest answer would be "I don't know" or "I do not".

Once again.........BE YOURSELF.

always have a sentence or two on a yes or no question from the interviewer.

If you do that you will sound like a blabbermouth. Don't answers yes or no to EVERY closed ended question but don't blabber one when asked "Have you ever stealed from your employer?"

Once again.............BEEEEEEEEEEE YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

andrew in Federalsburg, Maryland

87 months ago

"stealed" from your employer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

tatater in Erie, Colorado

86 months ago

If you want to work in hospitality business, you better put on your best business suit for the interview. Casual or "business-casual" are not acceptable.

So far, I went trough a screening call with Hyatt, and it was 90% based on my resume. There was maybe one of those standard questions:"If I would ask your colleagues at your current job about you, what would they tell me?" Here they want to know whether you are a team player or whether you created many conflicts at your work. Starwood and Marriott ask those questions a lot. Like: "Can you give an example how you went an extra mile to get the job done?" Here you want to have a story ready. Make sure you do not describe anybody in your story in a negative way. You do not want to criticize your boss, colleagues or customers at an interview.

Or: "What do you like and what do you dislike about your current job?" Make sure to tell them what you dislike. Otherwise they will ask why you are looking for a new one. Do not focus on a specific project, or a person.

On Monday I am going for a real interview. So, we will see how that goes.

TIP: From my experience with screening calls I noticed, if you mention your desire to come for an interview a couple of times, it is hard for them not to invite you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Speaking from the experience of been OFFERED a bartender job at Spike's in Mpls (and turned them down.)

"If you want to work in hospitality business, you better put on your best business suit for the interview. Casual or "business-casual" are not acceptable."

I dressed business casual. The point is you don't look like some desparate schmuck who needs a job. You look professional, assured and relaxed. Exactly who they want to hire.

"If I would ask your colleagues at your current job about you, what would they tell me?"

For specific detail on the reason for this question: Read Harvey McKay's book "Swimming with the Sharks", in it are all the standard interview questions, what the interviewer is trying to uncover and what the best responses are.

"Make sure you do not describe anybody in your story in a negative way."

You don't mind workers who steal and/or slack off? C MON!!!!!

I have no problem talking about a "server who will remain nameless who comes late and leaves early and leaves her sidework for others to do.." (i.e. you are sticking up for your co-workers...you are not personally jilted, another sign of good teamwork.)

"{On}: What do you like and what do you dislike about your current job? Make sure to tell them what you dislike."

Unless its things like: too much sidework, too many rules, held accountable....hopefully you get the idea. A good response is a negative that is really a positive such as: "I wish to work in an enviroment where things are more organized, schedule is posted a week in advance so I can (be responsible) and plan accordingly.

"Otherwise they will ask why you are looking for a new one."

Just say you want more consistant hours, more days hours, night hours, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

"Speaking from the experience of been OFFERED a bartender job at Spike's in Mpls (and turned them down.) "
Well, I guess a bartender interview process is different from corporate employee. I am being interviewed for a job HR department, and it might also be different from city to city.
I interview with three people from HR management on Monday. All of them were very nice, and overall athmosphere was very diverse. I do not think I will turn that one down, because there is a lot of room to grow from this opportunity.

"I dressed business casual. The point is you don't look like some desparate schmuck who needs a job. You look professional, assured and relaxed. Exactly who they want to hire. "
Some employers do not want to hire somebody who looks "relaxed". As my current boss told me, when they were looking for the right person to fill my position once I am gone: "If a person did not bother to look polished for an interview, he/she never will for the job".
"You don't mind workers who steal and/or slack off? C MON!!!!!"

Here is what I said on Monday: "I find it difficult to relate to somebody who plays Solitaire at work. However, I always treat any person with respect and politeness, and make sure that my personal feelings do not stay in the way when it comes to getting the job done".

So far, they are checking my references and background.

We will see what comes next.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Forgot to mention the following:

One of the candidates for my position had to give an example how she handled some issue at work. So, she told my boss: "I was responsible for this very complicated filing system, and I did not want anybody to touch it, so that I do not have to deal with their errors. I took a day off, and sure enough my boss messed it all up..."
Of course, she was not considered for the second round of interviews. My manager wanted to hear how she would be handling stress from the issue. Instead the lady drew a whole picture of how disfunctional her communication at work was. She is not a team-player, she thinks that her boss is not smart enough to use her filing system. And of course, she could not organize that system in such a way so that it was easy to use.

LESSON: Do NOT criticize people you work with. You will be just exposing some negative stuff about yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

tatater said: Forgot to mention the following:
One of the candidates for my position had to give an example how she handled some issue at work. So, she told my boss: "I was responsible for this very complicated filing system, and I did not want anybody to touch it, so that I do not have to deal with their errors. I took a day off, and sure enough my boss messed it all up..."
Of course, she was not considered for the second round of interviews. My manager wanted to hear how she would be handling stress from the issue. Instead the lady drew a whole picture of how disfunctional her communication at work was. She is not a team-player, she thinks that her boss is not smart enough to use her filing system. And of course, she could not organize that system in such a way so that it was easy to use.
LESSON: Do NOT criticize people you work with. You will be just exposing some negative stuff about yourself.

That is hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

I was offered a job at HR Department, Hyatt. The Director of HR called me on a speaker phone with others who interviewed me. I accepted.

So, as I said, if you are going for a job with Hyatt or other hotel chains like Hyatt, you better put on your best professional outfit and get your answers ready.

Of course, all of them asked why I was interested in Hyatt. Get that answer ready, as well. Review their official statements about their mission and their values. Compare them to your professional goals and your values. Build your answer on that. Show them that it was not a spontaneous application, that you did your homework.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No Reply - Report abuse

Confidential in Saint Louis, Missouri

86 months ago

Background check, Academic check, Character check and CREDIT check? Somethings things should be on a need to know basis. This market has become too invasive and discriminatory!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Deltona, Florida

82 months ago

Confidential in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Background check, Academic check, Character check and CREDIT check? Somethings things should be on a need to know basis. This market has become too invasive and discriminatory!

David in Mn - you're too angry. It is th industry standard that you present well, which includes dressing appropriately. Do Not say I'don't know. Of course, you don't lie. But part of the interview is to see how you respond to situations.

To this post. Yes,it does seem it has all become too intrusive. However, you want, as an employer to avoid horror stories of potential employees - criminals, high risk people, etc. I'm not sure what the answer is...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

caseyeisenman in Houston, Texas

6 months ago

Some job interviews are in the moment, they know right off the bat if your sincere, and a good fit for their hotel. I know backround checks are important as far as criminal records are concerned, but having bad credit has nothing to do with doing a great job. As far as wearing a suit, depends on what your applying for, dishwasher, room service, etc. I would just wear nice pants and a shirt. I have an interview with the Hyatt for room service and have a suit, but not sure in 92 degree weather is the best option.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

crisrabino@yahoo.com in Koloa, Hawaii

4 months ago

It is always been a company policy to satisfy every customer.To do this, the company have always the right to choose every individual(applicant)who intend to join and work with them. In this way,there will be a smooth transaction in order to deliver a good quality of job assigned.
An applicant must show his best to satisfy question that every interviewer might asked. It must be noted that attitude is very important for every applicant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.