Getting a job at IBM

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

Shawn P. in Canton, Georgia

93 months ago

I work at IBM in a leadership position. I have some information which may be of some help. Unless you have a very specific skill, such as skills with SAP or Security at a very high level, it will be almost impossible to find a permanent position at IBM. Contractor positions are a slightly different story, but still, only college hires are typically hired as generalists. The moral of this story: If you want a job at IBM complete a degree program at a major university and apply to IBM through their career services. It's about the only way to get in without having a very specific skill set which is needed at a very specific time for a very specific customer. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Apex, North Carolina

92 months ago

Shawn,

How about positions as a Technical Writer? I have a Masters in Technical Writing and seven years experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Glenn

92 months ago

I have applied for numerous procurement positions online with IBM with absolutely no response. I only apply for positions I know I can perform. Getting any real response from IBM is non-existant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gennadiy Krivdyuk in Saint Augustine, Florida

92 months ago

Shawn P. said: I work at IBM in a leadership position. I have some information which may be of some help. Unless you have a very specific skill, such as skills with SAP or Security at a very high level, it will be almost impossible to find a permanent position at IBM. Contractor positions are a slightly different story, but still, only college hires are typically hired as generalists. The moral of this story: If you want a job at IBM complete a degree program at a major university and apply to IBM through their career services. It's about the only way to get in without having a very specific skill set which is needed at a very specific time for a very specific customer. Good luck!

I have this skill.

Thanks,

Gennadiy

Glenn

92 months ago

I am glad you have "the skill". I also like your canned comment which I have seen before.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gennadiy Krivdyuk in Saint Augustine, Florida

92 months ago

Thanks

Glenn

92 months ago

You are welcome.....I guess IBM provides you with the script since Shawn P. from Canton, GA has the exact same one! Moving on.........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shawn P in Stone Mountain, Georgia

92 months ago

Glenn said: I have applied for numerous procurement positions online with IBM with absolutely no response. I only apply for positions I know I can perform. Getting any real response from IBM is non-existant.

Perfect example of what I was saying before about grammar and typos.

That last sentence doesn't even make any sense, not to mention the word is non-existent, not existant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Glenn

92 months ago

Thanks for pointing that out. I realized I had spelled it incorrectly after I pressed the "send" button. I must have overlooked your comments on grammar and typos...sorry about that.

Supply Chain in Keller, Texas

91 months ago

I am a headhunter (15 years for electronics manufacturing)and have local supply chain management with high volume electronic manufacturing experience at contract manufacturers, and traveling globally to suppliers and factories. It looks like IBM needs them.

Can you tell me who I should contact at IBM, or forward my info to the hiring managers? Please.
John Myers jmyers at kbic. com ph9723655235

vina in Royal Oak, Michigan

91 months ago

hi ,
i want to know if IBM RECRUIT SAP BASIS on contract basis like corp to corp? can u provide some inputs on this..
regards

Shawn P. said: I work at IBM in a leadership position. I have some information which may be of some help. Unless you have a very specific skill, such as skills with SAP or Security at a very high level, it will be almost impossible to find a permanent position at IBM. Contractor positions are a slightly different story, but still, only college hires are typically hired as generalists. The moral of this story: If you want a job at IBM complete a degree program at a major university and apply to IBM through their career services. It's about the only way to get in without having a very specific skill set which is needed at a very specific time for a very specific customer. Good luck!

Derrick Devine in Richmond, Virginia

91 months ago

I quit applying for jobs at IBM despite having over 10 years experience using Linux and 5 years with project management. Reason? I've applied for over 20 jobs there and have yet to receive a single reply. Red Hat called me back within 2 hours of applying.

Absolutely silly if you ask me. Applying for jobs at IBM is such a hassle I just don't do it anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jester in Warner Robins, Georgia

18 months ago

you have to be referred by an employee nowadays

NJC in Greensboro, North Carolina

5 months ago

Glenn said: I have applied for numerous procurement positions online with IBM with absolutely no response. I only apply for positions I know I can perform. Getting any real response from IBM is non-existant.

I applied for Software Developer position with IBM with no employee referral, and am a new college grad and will have my third interview with the hiring manager for the team I would be working on tomorrow. I am pretty sure he will make me an offer also. Don't give up!

dkdevine in Richmond, Virginia

5 months ago

NJC in Greensboro, North Carolina said: I applied for Software Developer position with IBM with no employee referral, and am a new college grad and will have my third interview with the hiring manager for the team I would be working on tomorrow. I am pretty sure he will make me an offer also. Don't give up!

I'm pretty sure they see you're a recent grad...they love being the first ones to break in someone fresh out of college because you haven't learned anything they would consider a 'bad habit'

It's sad, but there is a stigma attached to those of us who have actually been in the field for a while. Soon, I'll be at an age where I am unhirable and will most likely have to freelance or go into a different field.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.