IBM News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does IBM stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Chester, New York

116 months ago

seems like FIshkil and POughkeepsie are triming the next 3 years... but
software group seems well positioned

face it, they had record profits in 2006 and have the longest record in the IT business of 80 years

Lotus and Rational seem tighter than Software group.... IMD seems tightest

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bubba in Los Angeles, California

116 months ago

Tight being good? Tight being understaffed?

San Francisco in San Francisco, California

116 months ago

Anyone know if the hiring freeze has been lifted now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

exibmer in Tucson, Arizona

116 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

The company will still shed. They play musical chairs with their employees always. Its not the same IBM. If you get hired you may get laid off in 2 years. Thats all you can expect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

james in Carmel, New York

116 months ago

My thought is that IBM will continue to churn for the next 10 years (buying & selling sub-divisions, etc). At that point the entire company will be bought out by a consortium of other companies who will immediately split IBM into the particular divisions each consortium member wants. For example, EDS could be a partner in the buyout in order to grab the Global Services division, Hitachi or Fujitsu would take the zSeries/mainframe group, Sun could take the pSeries group, HP, Dell or Gateway would take the xSeries (PC servers) division, etc. The company names aren't necessarily the ones that *would* be involved, just examples from the current market.

Bubba in Los Angeles, California

116 months ago

Is this a good thing or a bad thing, if you're an investor?

It sounds like a prettty crappy thing for an employee to deal with.

james in Carmel, New York

116 months ago

I'm sure they'll find a way to make it bad for the investors.

Ken in Missouri City, Texas

116 months ago

Yes this is a good company to work for if you do not have a life. They will work you to death. That is why their stock is rated so high. I will never work for them again. I do not want to die early.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Exo Supplemento in Elyria, Ohio

115 months ago

I talked to an excoworker in Cleveland and I was told some new boss was brought in to downsize. No details were given but apparently the way it was handled was horrible. This was years ago but if they d business the same now, I would recommend look for a job elsewhere.

I was a supplemental and when I parted they mailed me a slip that listed my "termination date" with info like total hours worked, etc.

Victoria in Broomfield, Colorado

115 months ago

I have worked for IBM for eight years. They will have more layoffs. They give very few raises any more, it's almost impossible to bet promoted regardless of how much more you do or how much more responsibility you have.

My suggestion is that you can do much better elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shin in Champaign, Illinois

115 months ago

It seems like people have negative points about IBM. However, IBM is a huge company and I just got an offer for the foundry at Poughkeepsie, NY. Is it a good and stable place to stay?

Bleeds Blue in Saint Charles, Illinois

115 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

I've worked for IBM Global Services, IBM Software Group and now back as an independent consultant for a total of 10 years.

I've you live in India.. IBM will be good to you.. In the US.. They will constantly throw their politically correct BS of "Global resourcing" aka (off shoring) at you basically implying... why do we need to give you a raise or even keep you employed.. we can do it for so much cheaper and hold that over your heads..

What you say? But you add value.. Big deal we have quarterly percentages we need to make we don't care what happens long term.

Good luck at the Big Blue Pig.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.