IBM openings in Rochester, MN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

techy81 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

92 months ago

I am relocating to Rochester, MN and have been actively looking for jobs at IBM in Rochester. There are lot of openings that match my Java/J2EE skills and I have applied directly? Whats the chance of being called for an interview. I am just a bit concerned as how to approach IBM if I am not getting a call. But I do know that they have a lot of contract positions. Can anyone advice me if such contract positions are a safe bet as it might get converted to full time later?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tommy N in Gilbert, Arizona

89 months ago

I worked at IBM Rochester 2001-2005 as a regular. You must have a good reason to go to Rochester. Otherwise, it's a poor job market. You may end up better at Mayo but that place is even harder to get in. If you're a regular at IBM, there's a constant fear of being laid off. If you're a contractor, it's the same fear plus the pay is terrible (not that regulars are paid any better). Not like many companies that pay contractors by hours and overtime, IBM hires contractor through companies like CIBER/ADECCO. They do convert contractors to regulars but not very often. Bottom line: Rochester is a good place to live but not for a hi-tech career. You can always commute to Minneapolis. It's a much better job market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

techy81 in Ames, Iowa

89 months ago

I am moving to Rochester as my fiance got a job in Mayo Clinic. I never had any luck with IBM, but luckily have got a call for onsite interview from Mayo Clinic for an Analyst Programmer position. Can you provide some inputs on how the interviews are? It would be helpful to prepare for the same

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.