Seriously...80-100% travel at most IBM-posted jobs?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (40)

Some Person in Aurora, Illinois

92 months ago

Micky...the idea of the comment was that NO company is worth wasting your life for, even IBM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ken F in Jacksonville, Florida

92 months ago

Actually there are many instances where 80-100% travel makes a lot of sense otherwise OHare and every other metro airport would not be filled with these folks leaving on Monday morning and returning Thursday night. I have been recruiting and placing such IT people for 25 years with companies that include IBM. Just placed 2 this month. Here are some of the reasons for doing it:
1. More money - since you are a billable resource being sent to clients each week you are in fact a profit center rather than being an expense item if you worked in-house. this changes the economics of the relationship between you and the company. The more they can bill you for the more they can afford to pay you. So you might ask why not just be an independent contractor, do the travel and get paid more.. 3 reasons a) marketing - they spend a ton of money and time marketing which keeps you billing b) training - they pay to keep you trained so that they can bill more for you c) management - there is a ladder to move up and they want you to move up that ladder - and if you do you reach a point where you don't have to travel.

2. Experience - it has been said that 5 years on road for one of these firms is like working 10 years inhouse plus adding an MBA - the reason is that you get to work in such a variety of situations - different size companies, different industries, different applications - and you become an advisor to the client telling them what to do..thus the term "consultant"

3. Network - imagine how many people you will know in how many different companies and how many will know you and your work after 5 years of working on different assignments. Compare that to working inhouse for the same company for 5 years. Now suppose these 2 people get laid off... which one has the best rolodex to find a new job?

4. Try before you buy - in many cases the client you are assigned to wants to hire you on to their staff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Ken F in Jacksonville, Florida

92 months ago

Now, with those benefits in mind who does this type of job make sense for? In my experience there are 4 groups:

1. Young, single, no family, no kids - if there was ever a time in your life to do this, this is it.

2. Older, experienced, divorced, grown kids - a great way to spread your wisdom and cover the alimony payments.

3. Married, several kids, want one parent to stay home but other has to make the income of 2 people to support family. Haven't seen this very often but remember a person whose wife had triplets and this was his solution.

4. Married, no kids, both spouses have this type of job. Have seen some young couples do this .. their plan is to do it for a few years, set themselves up financially so that when it's time for the kids one of them can stay home and the other takes a non-travel job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Rick Nerdahl - wasteing on the shelf in Saint Paul, Minnesota

92 months ago

"2. Older, experienced, divorced, grown kids - a great way to spread your wisdom and cover the alimony payments"

After 7 years on the road. Now 53. My experience, you are the traveling consultant; you have no connections with those you have worked for at all of those companies. You were a body to fill a need and nothing more. Yes, you are older and experienced, but most companies will not hire the older experienced person. "Reason unknown" You have made a lot of money, but that will soon be gone after a few years of unemployment along with any 401K and savings. Your first hint that your network is gone is when you receive more Christmas cards from employees at the hotels you have been living in than any of your "friends?" There is no company loyalty to any employee; you are there to make the bottom line and nothing more. When it has been decided that you are no longer of value because you are older, burnt out from the long hours and over weight from all of that restaurant food. You are done my friend – look for a new career field. “Would you like fries with that burger meal?”

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Kaylan in Irving, Texas

91 months ago

Great eye opener. Thanks a lot for sharing views. Made my decision easier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Durham, North Carolina

89 months ago

i know someone in global services who telecommutes into IBMs' network & their clients networks every day doing administrative tasks- Is it a sham or is it for real? Should she be concerned because she is a contractor, about their hiring & firing practices?

Never IBM again in Carrollton, Texas said: After a 2 yr stint and watching my friends be handled the same way - I left and will never go back....IBM has a terrible system in handling travel - they will fly across the country for work when the same or better skilled resource is available right around the corner. Many customers complained to me that they expected to get less expensive travel costs by using IBM since they figured SOMEONE had to be local....but never the case - the company only wants people who will sacrifice their family and personal lives for the job - they have no regard to treating employees fairly and or customers....even if you think it will help your resume, it won't....in fact, it may even hurt your resume based on what I have heard other company hiring managers say....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Never IBM again in Carrollton, Texas

89 months ago

Contractors have no worries....only as an employee will you experience the confusion that I describe!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

George in Hillsborough, North Carolina

88 months ago

The 100% travel is not even real. My position with IBM is supposed to be 100% travel but actually it is about 40% travel. The rest of the time I work out of my house, which is much nicer than any office IBM is willing to give me. My home office expenses are covered and I have 0 commute time. All in all a great deal.

When I am on the road I video conference with my family through Skype. My wife is a stay at home Mom and my son gets to see me plenty when I am not on the road.

IBM has the working remote thing down cold. In fact they are cutting way back on travel because they are realizing that they don't need us on-site that much. I have only traveled 4 weeks this year. I would like to get out more for I am getting a little stir crazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

contr in Halethorpe, Maryland

88 months ago

I telecommuted for IBM, they paid nothing. I was a contractor and basically you service their accounts until they can get a team together overseas. Then they'll either move you to a new account or let you go. In my case, they put me on a new account by myself. I was about 60% qualified to do the new work. This would have been a disaster for the customer and to my career. There was tons of travel involved and had to be available 24/7. There was NO extra money available for me. We had a standoff about these issues and the consulting company cancelled the contract. Stay away from IBM. They're reckless with their customers, contractors and employees. I saw this crap go on every day. I've been doing IT for over 20 years and can't believe the level of BS we have to take these days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Yes - you are singing the same song....too bad that they treat employees and customers like crap and yet people keep giving them money for services and products and EVERYONE thinks they are a great company to work for...until you do and then you swear them off for life!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in Elyria, Ohio

88 months ago

George in Hillsborough, North Carolina said: The 100% travel is not even real. My position with IBM is supposed to be 100% travel but actually it is about 40% travel. The rest of the time I work out of my house, which is much nicer than any office IBM is willing to give me. My home office expenses are covered and I have 0 commute time. All in all a great deal.

When I am on the road I video conference with my family through Skype. My wife is a stay at home Mom and my son gets to see me plenty when I am not on the road.

IBM has the working remote thing down cold. In fact they are cutting way back on travel because they are realizing that they don't need us on-site that much. I have only traveled 4 weeks this year. I would like to get out more for I am getting a little stir crazy.

Hi,
Would you happen to know which IBM office/person would I contact for electrical engineering?

I worked at IBM Cleveland 6 years during college. My last year they downsized and laid many people off, including me. I moved on, but again a victim of downsizing from my last employer.

I would like to try to get back into IBM. What recruiter did you use? All the people I knew have since retired or was laid off so I do not know anyone inside.

I have a Bachelor of Electrical Engineer degree.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sue in Wethersfield, Connecticut

87 months ago

I was married to an IBMer for 26 years. During the seventies it was great - raises, increased benefits every year, it was like a family. Then about 1980 things changed. We moved 4 times for his job because it was good for our future together and then he leaves. Every holiday and event was interrupted by phone calls from someone at IBM with problems that were always an emergency. If you work for IBM remember - they consume your life, take out your backbone, destroy your marriage and cut your pension every chance they get. IBM is not the company it was prior to 1980.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in Elyria, Ohio

87 months ago

I think back in the day, many many many days ago, they gave you a rolex after so many years of service?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sue in Rocky Hill, Connecticut

87 months ago

Did your resume say you were trained in SAS. That file type is associated with native SAS files? It sounds like they were checking to see if you would ask the right questions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

harveyscott in Garland, Texas

87 months ago

Ken F in Jacksonville, Florida said: Actually there are many instances where 80-100% travel makes a lot of sense otherwise OHare and every other metro airport would not be filled with these folks leaving on Monday morning and returning Thursday night. I have been recruiting and placing such IT people for 25 years with companies that include IBM. Just placed 2 this month. Here are some of the reasons for doing it:
1. More money - since you are a billable resource being sent to clients each week you are in fact a profit center rather than being an expense item if you worked in-house. this changes the economics of the relationship between you and the company. The more they can bill you for the more they can afford to pay you. So you might ask why not just be an independent contractor, do the travel and get paid more.. 3 reasons a) marketing - they spend a ton of money and time marketing which keeps you billing b) training - they pay to keep you trained so that they can bill more for you c) management - there is a ladder to move up and they want you to move up that ladder - and if you do you reach a point where you don't have to travel.

2. Experience - it has been said that 5 years on road for one of these firms is like working 10 years inhouse plus adding an MBA - the reason is that you get to work in such a variety of situations - different size companies, different industries,

I would just like to have a job - do you have any openings for an outta work physical security director that will travel?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Rick Nerdahl - wasteing on the shelf in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: "2. Older, experienced, divorced, grown kids - a great way to spread your wisdom and cover the alimony payments"

After 7 years on the road. Now 53. My experience, you are the traveling consultant; you have no connections with those you have worked for at all of those companies. You were a body to fill a need and nothing more. Yes, you are older and experienced, but most companies will not hire the older experienced person. "Reason unknown" You have made a lot of money, but that will soon be gone after a few years of unemployment along with any 401K and savings. Your first hint that your network is gone is when you receive more Christmas cards from employees at the hotels you have been living in than any of your "friends?" There is no company loyalty to any employee; you are there to make the bottom line and nothing more. When it has been decided that you are no longer of value because you are older, burnt out from the long hours and over weight from all of that restaurant food. You are done my friend – look for a new career field. “Would you like fries with that burger meal?”

amen brother - i worked my ass off for Perot and after 15 years i am out on my own. 37 years of experience buys you nothing when you are trying to get a job...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sue in Rocky Hill, Connecticut

87 months ago

Wow, this sounds like a problem with the person who got you the contract. I agree it stinks but I would want to know where the problem occurred. If it is IBM then why would you want to work for them. There are many good companies out there to work for besides IBM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

I'm open to any ideas? Because I've already applied at 90% of those good companies. I don't have a degree but i do have over 35 years experience. I need to get my resume to the executive responsible for the corporate security of these companies and not some pencil neck recruiter.
What do you think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lissie in Chandler, Arizona

87 months ago

As an undergrad, a starter in reality, I don't mind 100% travel. People who can take it gets in, right? I heard IBM has great training programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

so how do we get in?

EM in Atlanta, Georgia

87 months ago

Looking for a contact at IBM I can send my resume to for Technical Sales position in Atlanta, GA.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tim Bukktuu in New York, New York

87 months ago

You sound like a bitter, cynical person. If I were your husband, I'd prefer 100% travel. Good day. Tim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ghartog in Hillsborough, North Carolina

84 months ago

I am sorry that it took so long to get back to you....

I applied through an online ad on Dice. No trick, really.

I am part of GBS. While there is definitely a hierarchy of regular employees at the top, long term supplementals in the middle and contractors at the bottom, it is better to be a contractor if you are a technical person. Here is why:

GBS favors project managers and has them run the show. The project managers are not technical yet that does not stop them from making decisions and promises that are not qualified to make. They then expect you to fulfill these promises even though they are not reasonable. On top of that, they feel compelled to micro-manage you each step of the way.

All of this results in getting very little done so in order to meet the unreasonable deadlines, you have to put in extra hours. As a contractor, you won't get the love, but you will be paid for each and every hour you work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anthony Ragusa in Montreal, Quebec

76 months ago

Does anyone know where I could get a traveling job in computer technician.I am looking for a 100% travel and would like to do it now than when im older.Anyone want to send me there email or if anyone knows of someone that does the recruiting .I am will to do the traveling around the US.Can anyone help???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RR12345 in Los Angeles, California

74 months ago

I would like to apply and work as a travlling consultant at IBM. I do not know the point of contacts of IBM Hiring Managers. I live in the Los Angeles area. I would appreciate you members providing details regarding the point of contact of IBM hiring managers. I can work in the telecommunications projects as a Senior Engineer in the Network Planning and Design of Wireless Networks and Wide Area Networks both in the public AT&T, Sprint, Verizon Wireless and similar companies as well as in the DoD Government projects. I would appreciate your response as soon as possible.
Thank you very much for your time in advance.

Best regards,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

marylyn in Woodbridge, Virginia

36 months ago

Thank yu for the comment . I have offers from IBM GBS and KPMG Consulting.

I don't know how easy it is to move up the ladder at IBM (I have been offered a band 7)

Really struggling as I think KPMG would allow me to progress upwards faster but I am concerned that the work life balance and culture at IBM would be much tougher than KPMG . I would like a life outside of work, I am prepared to work hard but not doing 60hr/70hr weeks every week.

I like to get stuck into projects and can't be that bothered getting too involved in politics but not sure I would fit in wnith the IBM 'cuture' it is the only reason I am edging towards kpmg any advice appreciated

jane in Wethersfield, Connecticut

36 months ago

Marilyn - If I were you I would go to Linked In and try to connect with some current IBM employees. They can give you an unbiased view of the current work environment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

I would stick with kpmg - I've heard they have a great environment for women, and travels demands are less. IBM does not consider your personal life when it comes to travel - they believe you signed up for the job and do not tolerate excuses about excessive travel. If you want an company who does have a much more flexible demand load on women, as well as men, than go with kpmg.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cathy QuickDraw in South Carolina

35 months ago

In my opinion and based on observation, IBM is restricting business travel to keep cost down so the travel requirements you have seen might be exaggerated. Do expect to work 20% or more over time. I enjoyed being maxed out - so it became a way of life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rc in Sarasota, Florida

33 months ago

The more travel the better, especially international. Point me to the jobs where I'm always on a plane.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Fed Up in Matthews, North Carolina

32 months ago

Some Person in Aurora, Illinois said: Micky...the idea of the comment was that NO company is worth wasting your life for, even IBM.

I agree 110% !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fed Up in Matthews, North Carolina

32 months ago

jane in Wethersfield, Connecticut said: Marilyn - If I were you I would go to Linked In and try to connect with some current IBM employees. They can give you an unbiased view of the current work environment.

Right. Like they're going to speak HONESTLY about the company while the company monitors their social media messages. OK. You people must think we're ALL idiots.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jwrogers in Vine Grove, Kentucky

25 months ago

Hey Ken. Are you still placing people in travel positions? I am greatly interested. Just last year got back from working over 7 years in Ecuador, Iraq, Afghanistan, and various other countries in the middle east mostly.

jwrogers in Vine Grove, Kentucky

24 months ago

ghartog in Hillsborough, North Carolina said: I am sorry that it took so long to get back to you....

I applied through an online ad on Dice. No trick, really.

I am part of GBS. While there is definitely a hierarchy of regular employees at the top, long term supplementals in the middle and contractors at the bottom, it is better to be a contractor if you are a technical person. Here is why:

GBS favors project managers and has them run the show. The project managers are not technical yet that does not stop them from making decisions and promises that are not qualified to make. They then expect you to fulfill these promises even though they are not reasonable. On top of that, they feel compelled to micro-manage you each step of the way.

All of this results in getting very little done so in order to meet the unreasonable deadlines, you have to put in extra hours. As a contractor, you won't get the love, but you will be paid for each and every hour you work.

What is GBS's link? I see many on the internet.

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

24 months ago

jwrogers in Vine Grove, Kentucky said: What is GBS's link? I see many on the internet.

Hi jwrogers. If you are interested in limiting your IBM job search to GBS positions, I have a suggestion:

Navigate to jobs3.netmedia1.com/cp/search.jsp;
Fill in/select the four fields to narrow the results;
On the next page, click on the arrow to the right of "Business Group" (I think it's the third column);
From there you can scroll down to "Global Business Services" to look at available openings....provided the GBS business group has an opening that matches your other selection criteria (ie location, job title, &c).

If anyone out there has a more direct method, please share.

And to the poster--best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

24 months ago

Indeed left off the url's prefix.

So type in

h t t p s : / /

Aubrey in Panama City, Florida

18 months ago

I have recently applie to IBM for a traveling position I hope it goes well!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

passport ready

12 months ago

I would be the best travel employee a company could ask for. No kids, no husband at home, in great health, and I desire to work all the time. What company pays the most while needing a hard working workaholic?

passport ready in Nashville, TN

12 months ago

I would be the best travel employee a company could ask for. No kids, no husband at home, in great health, and I desire to work all the time. What company pays the most while needing a hard working workaholic? Willing to be trained starting a new career at $58
,000/yr

Stan Byrdsell in Orlando, Florida

2 months ago

Looking for new opportunities 80-100% travel M-T please view my linkedin profile or contact me at your earliest convenience :stan_byrdsell@yahoo.com

www.linkedin.com/pub/stan-byrdsell/0/846/117

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.