How to get a job at IBM.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

Host

Do you work at IBM? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Chas in Monkton, Vermont

87 months ago

You need to make contacts with people that actually have the capacity to hire you. Today, it seems like the social networking web sites are your best bet.

If you are not getting any responses from job applications, you have to consider the possibility that you do not have the necessary requirements to fit the job (skill set) or some one else has more of what they are looking for. If that's true, then you need to aquire more skills that they are looking for. Hard skills. Otherwise, consider re-working your resume. Key Words! Key Words! Key Words!
If your resume isn't making past the built in filters based on the key words they are looking for, you can be assured no human eyes will ever see how great you really are.

I'm not making this up off the top of my head. I've worked for IBM in three different divisions spanning 4 different jobs. IBM is a many headed hydra.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (81) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

IBMer in Winchester, Massachusetts

87 months ago

maybe you already know us: www.linkedin.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

brett in Lancaster, Ohio

82 months ago

Any suggestions for companies to apply to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Kirsten Pochert in Charlotte, North Carolina

82 months ago

IBM just opened up a mortgage division in Charlotte that I am trying to get into. Does anyone know who is running that division/hiring of the division and an e-mail address or phone# of said person?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

kristen in Charlotte, North Carolina

80 months ago

Kirsten Pochert in Charlotte, North Carolina said: IBM just opened up a mortgage division in Charlotte that I am trying to get into. Does anyone know who is running that division/hiring of the division and an e-mail address or phone# of said person?

Hi kristen,

i m the person who is also interested for the same info u r looking for, plz let me know if u get any contact email or phone no.
if u get the same will contact you.

Thank you ,
smita

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

IBMMuff in Fremont, California

80 months ago

IBMer in Winchester, Massachusetts said: 1.) know someone in a department/competency/practice that is hiring

or

2.) submit your resume through the web site or in response to a job posting and includes the right keywords for the job -- this will get you passed from the recruiters to the interviewers -- after that, its up to you to impress

know someone in a department/competency/practice that is hiring

--- How are we suppose to find information on people that are in dept/competency/practice? I have dont A LOT of networking, emailing people at IBM, to have NOT one IBM person email me back? I dont know what other routes to take??

Any help will be great!

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Margie Garcia in Morrisville, North Carolina

77 months ago

Hello,

I was wondering if you finally got hired by IBM..I've been applying for a few months now and have not heard anything yet.

Please let me know. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

l6sman in Lancaster, Ohio

77 months ago

No not yet. I pretty sure they're under a hiring freeze until after the 1st of the year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NLW in Detroit, Michigan

76 months ago

You basically have to have a contact with some pull to make it into IBM I believe, as is the same with almost all major corporations. I know a couple of people in IBM who basically had some lucky circmstances to get in who have not been able to help me get work there, I'm a recent college grad. You can also get into IBM through a temp agency and hope to get hired full time after that which is how one person I know got her job there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mallet17 in Toronto, Ontario

70 months ago

In response in an entry level sales job with IBM, it's either based on luck or how well you've made the attention to the hiring manager.

I called up the HR rep responsible for a position posted online, and had a brief conversation with her. She then agreed to forward my resume to the sales department.

A week later, I got a call from the sales manager. He asked me a few screening questions (about 4). Company/product knowledge didn't get me the interview in the end, but I was able to impress the manager with telephone etiquette, sense of humour and professionalism. I come from a retail sales background so I was able to display some transferrable skills over, and most importantly, I was being myself.

The next day, I had the interview with the same sales manager.
He wanted to hire me right away. Funny enough, he wanted to hire me based on the previous day's telephone conversation/interview.

Long story short, call the HR rep, or try the sales manager if you can reach him. It's a sales role you're after so treat it like it's your sale!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Geoff in Los Angeles, California

69 months ago

I'm trying to get into the same position. How did you find out the HR Rep?

mallet17 in Toronto, Ontario said: In response in an entry level sales job with IBM, it's either based on luck or how well you've made the attention to the hiring manager.

I called up the HR rep responsible for a position posted online, and had a brief conversation with her. She then agreed to forward my resume to the sales department.

A week later, I got a call from the sales manager. He asked me a few screening questions (about 4). Company/product knowledge didn't get me the interview in the end, but I was able to impress the manager with telephone etiquette, sense of humour and professionalism. I come from a retail sales background so I was able to display some transferrable skills over, and most importantly, I was being myself.

The next day, I had the interview with the same sales manager.
He wanted to hire me right away. Funny enough, he wanted to hire me based on the previous day's telephone conversation/interview.

Long story short, call the HR rep, or try the sales manager if you can reach him. It's a sales role you're after so treat it like it's your sale!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kirsten Pochert in Charlotte, North Carolina

66 months ago

kristen in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Hi kristen,

i m the person who is also interested for the same info u r looking for, plz let me know if u get any contact email or phone no.
if u get the same will contact you.

Thank you ,
smita

Hi Smita,

I'm just now going through the process - b/c of the job market and all the resumes they have been receiving they are going through contract companies to bring people in. They were just being overwhelmed with resumes. If you are still interested I would start with a contract company. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Davosil in Marietta, Georgia

66 months ago

Hi Kristen,

We have recruited for IBM for many years and are experts on the IBM recruiting process; we know they are a 'black hole' for resumes; It's very rough on us as recruiters, but near impossible if you apply directly. Your best shot is to go thru a recruiter, and we are one of their best, or so they have told us for years!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Davosil, what is your contact info for sending resumes to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Hari Pandya in Indianapolis, Indiana

65 months ago

Davosil in Marietta, Georgia said: Hi Kristen,

We have recruited for IBM for many years and are experts on the IBM recruiting process; we know they are a 'black hole' for resumes; It's very rough on us as recruiters, but near impossible if you apply directly. Your best shot is to go thru a recruiter, and we are one of their best, or so they have told us for years!

Hi, I am also seeking a job with IBM. What recruiter are you and how can I get a hold of you? Thanks!

Harvey

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

FezB in Fremont, California

65 months ago

Hello Davosil,
I am interested in working with IBM, can you please send your contact information.
Thanks
Fez

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AA1229 in San Leandro, California

62 months ago

Hi Davosil! I am also very interested in working with IBM. I am seeking a consulting opportunity and wouldn't mind going through a reputable recruiter. If possible, please provide your email address and I will send you my resume. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

James in Salisbury, North Carolina

44 months ago

I am a recent college graduate majoring in Information Technology. I am interested in securing an entry level position with IBM..I have forwarded my application several times, but have not had any luck.. Does anyone have a contact name/number or suggestions for employment with this company..I am extremely qualified...I am interested in any entry level position....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

James in Salisbury, North Carolina

44 months ago

I am a recent college graduate majoring in Information Technology. I am interested in securing an entry level position with IBM..I have forwarded my application several times, but have not had any luck.. Does anyone have a contact name/number or suggestions for employment with this company..I am extremely qualified...I am interested in any entry level position....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

JCS Poughkeepsie NY in Poughkeepsie, New York

36 months ago

I too am interested in a job at IBM. I have an exceptional, demonstrated senior sales experience including being a top producer at Nixdorf Computer. To break into IBM, a forum with meaningful contacts would be helpful. We should not have to jump though hoops to secure a job. Let us work together to make job seeking easier and more productive. Any ideas, feel free to email me at quickmailbox@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

S in Newark, Delaware

29 months ago

I am looking a job at IBM. I completed my PhD in electrical engineering with concentration on RF circuit design and fabrication. I apllied through IBM website but didn't get any response. Can anyone tell whom to contact?

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

marylyn in Woodbridge, Virginia

28 months ago

I would welcome your thoughts on what it is like to work for IBM in the Global Business Services division. Any IBMers out there, I would appreciate your views/experiences in working for IBM and whether working for the company would be a good fit verses kpmg ?

marylyn1971@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

No thank you to IBM in San Francisco, California

26 months ago

Host said: Do you work at IBM? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

The worst job I've ever had! Please, don't have any fantasies about working at IBM. You are a number and nothing else. They treat you horribly, work you to death and are never, ever, ever happy with you. My conclusion about this experience is that WORK is Horrible, so just get used to it. Seriously, IBM is no cake walk, and zero job security. 6 months and then they go after you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

malexlantz@yahoo.com in Larsen, Wisconsin

24 months ago

Anyone know what the first face-to-face interview questions will be for an IBM Web Developer position? It looks like I will have my first interview with IBM and I would like to at least be prepared for some of the questions they might ask.

malexlantz@yahoo.com in Larsen, Wisconsin

24 months ago

Anyone know what the first face-to-face interview questions will be for an IBM Entry-Level Web Developer position? It looks like I will have my first interview with IBM and I would like to at least be prepared for some of the questions they might ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ChatoItaly in Hebron, Connecticut

21 months ago

!!!!!! READ THIS !!!!!

If you would like to work for IBM, please send your information to chatoitaly@fastmail.fm
I have enjoyed working here for almost a couple of decades now.
Please let me know what areas you would be interested in and I'll do some searches for you on open listings.
Having been a developer, project manager, people manager and program manager with exposure across all the hardware brands within IBM (Z, X, P, Storage & Networking, RSS) I won't waste either of our time. If I can find a good fit, let's see what we can do !
We have a revamped employee referral plan so it's in both of our best interest to quickly see if a good match can be found.
Best of luck to all of you in whatever job you land.

- Chato

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

worked as a contractor at ibm in Yorktown Heights, New York

12 months ago

that looks like spam chato

anybody know if the deskside service rep in yorktown ny job posted over and over is real? I've just had my fourth recruiter(all major recruiting firs(who all claim to be IBM's "preferred vendor")) contact me about it. I've already been told that "the job is on hold", "the IBM hiring manager doesn't reply" to my recruiters manager's requests", etc. I don't want to waste anymore time and emotions on IBM if they aren't really hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tina in New Delhi, India

10 months ago

HEY!

I don't actually work at IBM, and i am looking for vacancies too. IBM is my dream company,
and while tracking the jobs, i came across this site where they help you , to get the job with the help of a referral method. If you are interested for IBM job in India, Do Check it out.

jobsinindia.roundone.in/jobs-in-india

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

10 months ago

If you're following the news, IBM is cutting their workforce--worldwide--as I write this.

This is good news for contractors, though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JMan84 in Flint, Michigan

8 months ago

I got an interview from a job fair at Michigan State University. I was subsequently hired after the interview.

If you are a recent (or soon to be) college grad, that would likely be the best way to go about getting your foot in the door.

There are entry level positions in East Lansing, Michigan, Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Baton Rouge, Louisiana - perhaps there are other locations as well, but those are the locations that I have heard of that are offering entry level positions. East Lansing in particular plans to hire as many as 125 new employees by the end of 2013. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JMan84 in Flint, Michigan

8 months ago

Note that my interview/experience was from 2009.

I have been at the East Lansing office for the past 4 years - they have been hiring hundreds of people every year as they continue to grow. If it is possible for you to move to Michigan, I think that would be one of the best ways to get in. I have heard that the Louisiana office (Baton Rouge) is similar.

Both offices are working together with those state's local government AND the major university that is nearby too (MSU and LSU obviously). But even if you didn't go to either of those schools, you could still likely get a look as long as you have the skills they are looking for and are willing to live in either city.

P Woody in Pine Island, Minnesota

8 months ago

Host said: Do you work at IBM ? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

IBM has jobs listed on their website. The facts are:I worked for IBM for seven years as a Financial Analyst and was part of a resourse action (employeee layoff) they took in June of 2013. I was told it was a cost saving measure. They then hired 20 new people the day I was walked out the door. It may be a place short term but not something you can count on a for lifetime employment. Just something to consider when looking at todays job market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Englewood, Colorado

8 months ago

I have applied to IBM well over 100 times, have a lot of high tech sales background so no longer will I waste my time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Zahid in London, United Kingdom

5 months ago

I am a IBM Recruiter (not a agency!) recruiting for IBM UK and IBM USA.. Contact me directly if you think you have the skill set to be a consultant. Connect with me on LinkedIn to see the latest jobs. My profile is www.linkedin.com/in/zm0001

Femi in Columbia, Maryland

4 months ago

I am interested in a project management consulting opportunity with IBM. Can you send me your contact info? Thanks

4 months ago

AA1229 in San Leandro, California said: Hi Davosil! I am also very interested in working with IBM. I am seeking a consulting opportunity and wouldn't mind going through a reputable recruiter. If possible, please provide your email address and I will send you my resume. Thank you.

I am a former PM for IBM and would be interested too. Please provide your contact info. Thanks

Rod-IBM in Leesburg, Florida

4 months ago

I am a Recruiter for the IBM Business Analytics and Optimization division within GBS. Our group looks for candidates within the Business Intelligence industry (Data Modelers, Architects, Advanced Analytics consultants, up to Associate Partner level. As far as getting a job at IBM, first whether you find a position on our career portal or not, you should at the least fill out a generic application (You can search for openings or fill out generic application here bit.ly/19kdoVE). Then make sure you have a profile on LinkedIn. From there you can connect and network with IBM recruiters. We all link our openings to LinkedIn. My LinkedIn info is LinkedIn - www.LinkedIn.com/pub/rodney-reese/4/123/15a

San in Sunnyvale, California

3 months ago

Rod-IBM in Leesburg, Florida said:
Hi. Thank you for the valuable information. Generally, in IBM would a potential candidate would receive a notification (positive email/rejection letter) after an interview at IBM. Because I attended an interview in December at IBM and everything went on well. But it has been a month and I'm sending follow up emails to the Recruiter and hiring Manager. I haven't got any response. I'm curious to know my status in the hiring process either the process is still going on or another candidate has been chosen. Your response would be greatly appreciated.

San in Sunnyvale, California

3 months ago

Rod-IBM in Leesburg, Florida said: I am a Recruiter for the IBM Business Analytics and Optimization division within GBS. Our group looks for candidates within the Business Intelligence industry ( Data Modelers, Architects, Advanced Analytics consultants, up to Associate Partner level. As far as getting a job at IBM, first whether you find a position on our career portal or not, you should at the least fill out a generic application (You can search for openings or fill out generic application here bit.ly/19kdoVE ). Then make sure you have a profile on LinkedIn. From there you can connect and network with IBM recruiters. We all link our openings to LinkedIn. My LinkedIn info is LinkedIn - www.LinkedIn.com/pub/rodney-reese/4/123/15a

Please ignore the previous comment!

Hi. Thank you for the valuable information. Generally, in IBM would a potential candidate would receive a notification (positive email/rejection letter) after an interview at IBM. Because I attended an interview in December at IBM and everything went on well. But it has been a month and I'm sending follow up emails to the Recruiter and hiring Manager. I haven't got any response. I'm curious to know my status in the hiring process either the process is still going on or another candidate has been chosen. Your response would be greatly appreciated.

subhashree.G in Bangalore, India

2 months ago

how can i send submit my resume?any particular website are available?

Lorenzo in Wayne, New Jersey

7 days ago

How long does it usually take for them to review your application? It's been a week since I sent in my application. I heard sometimes it the status, "under review" doesn't even change for some applicants even after they got calls or emails.

Just wondering if my application is still indeed under review or it's already been rejected for the position.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.