ITT - Tech Is A SCAM!!!!!!!!!! DON"T DO IT!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 885)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Former_Instructor in Houston, Texas

79 months ago

From a former ITT-Tech instructor (4.5 years in Houston) - the school is a scam that preys on s tupid, uneducated (and uneducable) people for the $40,000 federal student loans that they obtain. The books are a joke, the cirriculum is written for morons (because only a moron would attend there) and the credits don't transfer.

How can a person who picks his/her nose in class; who doesn't bathe regularly; who can't read OR write expect to get a professional job earning sufficient income to pay off a $40,000 student loan?

To summarize: the school is a scam for s uckers, the credits will NEVER transfer to a REAL university or college (DeVry doesn't count, stupid!), and only mo rons enroll.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (751) / No (1314) Reply - Report abuse

kirk watson in Noblesville, Indiana

75 months ago

this guy has no clue

not only did i get interviews for cia they came to school to recruit. so much for his story

i now work for verizon as a switch tech working on fiber optics, gtd-5's,dms-100's, 5ess, dco's, dms-10's, i work on ss7, fiber transports from t1's oc48,s oc12,s..
now we are expanding fiber to home with fios'
last yr i made 69,000
so tell me again how bad this school is

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (830) / No (314) Reply - Report abuse

dcplace2009 in Spokane, Washington

59 months ago

kirk watson in Noblesville, Indiana said: this guy has no clue

not only did i get interviews for cia they came to school to recruit. so much for his story

i now work for verizon as a switch tech working on fiber optics, gtd-5's,dms-100's, 5ess, dco's, dms-10's, i work on ss7, fiber transports from t1's oc48,s oc12,s..
last yr i made 69,000

I am almost certain that you did not make that income working as a line tech for a cell company...I got some ocean-front property in Arizona for sale for those who think he made that salary...Even in small print on ITTs commercials they talk about credits not transferring...unreal...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (302) / No (322) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

dcplace2009 in Spokane, Washington said: I am almost certain that you did not make that income working as a line tech for a cell company...I got some ocean-front property in Arizona for sale for those who think he made that salary...Even in small print on ITTs commercials they talk about credits not transferring...unreal...

who are you to question me

i have no reason to lie
and you are showing that you dont know what your talking about base pay for a central office tech is 54000 a yr with out overtime
look it up can you say verizon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (304) / No (146) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

dcplace2009 in Spokane, Washington said: I am almost certain that you did not make that income working as a line tech for a cell company...I got some ocean-front property in Arizona for sale for those who think he made that salary...Even in small print on ITTs commercials they talk about credits not transferring...unreal...

in fact i made MORE than i posted as i get double time on weekends and holidays and at nights a an hourly bonus
and if its WEEKEND NIGHT holiday look out

its funny how some folks get on here and say someone did not make that when they have NO CLUE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (283) / No (127) Reply - Report abuse

Itt tech is a Scam

56 months ago

All these positive rebuttals are from fake students and are actually paid by ITT Tech to say bogus and fake message, I am working for ITT and I know what’s going on, everybody knows ITT-TECH and their fabricated information and invented reports, I am surpassed they still in the education business, they should be in the Sublime loans or any fraud and unethical business. The only concern of the management in the HQ is to increase profits and do not care about students, I believe ITT Tech soon will go down because I know about many lawsuits waiting for ITT.

Please think 98,000,000 times before attending ITT Tech, at ITT Tech you are a "start number” you are not a students in any way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (286) / No (259) Reply - Report abuse

Itt tech is a Scam

56 months ago

I was an admissions advisor and I am writing this because sometimes you are going to read positive remarks from current students(All these encouraging comments are from fake students and are actually paid by ITT Tech to say bogus and phony messages) In the year I was working for ITT TECH I have only heard complaints from students.

I am working for ITT and I know what’s going on, everybody knows ITT-TECH and their fabricated information and invented reports, I am surpassed they still in the education business, they should be in the Sublime loans or any fraud and unethical business. The only concern of the management in the HQ is to increase profits and do not care about students, I believe ITT Tech soon will go down because I know about many lawsuits waiting for ITT.
Here is the main problem with this company -- they are extremely misleading and what they describe as their "Mission Statement" and what is being said and reviewed behind closed doors is the definition of hypocritical. They claim to be changing students lives (yes this is true will bleed you dry, ITT TECH is nothing but money launderers, it is a mafia) at ITT TECH You are not a student -- you are a "start number".
Absolutely, no good reasons to work for this unethical institute, most horrible management practices, bogus and fake reports and information about the company.
Who would have thought that ITT TECH can be permitted to be up and running with so many , morals complaints, ethics violations, and educational deception and hoax.
I totally agree, ITT TECH is nothing but money launderers, you are not a student you are a "start number” ITT TECH is a big MAFIA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (220) / No (208) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah Lindow in Duluth, Minnesota

55 months ago

All colleges are a scam these days. It's not jut ITT Tech, it's 4 year universities too. I graduated from a great school, with a great degree, and I can't find work. All of college is a hoax these days. There's even a forum out there for it now www.thegreatcollegehoax.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (167) / No (180) Reply - Report abuse

runfastfromITT in Rainbow City, Alabama

53 months ago

(continued from above thread)
No other accrediting agency's primary mission is to offer certificates or diplomas, as is stated in the very first line of the statement defining the scope of their operation.

You see, ITT preys on the ignorant and desperate. I would bet, based on the classmates I had and the ease of the entrance exam, that the majority of ITT students could not get in to a more traditional college or university. It's a numbers game...A certain percentage of people who visit an ITT campus are in a desperate situation, and after an hour of being there they can have a MPN in front of you. All you have to do is vaguely, or just say that you understand the terms and implications of those loans (which they play down tremendously, they want you at ease, feeling comfortable signing your life away, a very popular sales tactic I used selling vacation properties).

People can talk themselves into about anything, especially to keep themselves from feeling or looking foolish. I'm sorry, but I can't sugar coat it, I AM A FOOL. I was duped by the same tactics I used to push timeshares.

“The Bait & Switch”: First you spend time w/the recruiter who's job it is to relate to you, to get friendly w/you and make ITT appear as if it has been made just for you. The recruiter is your peer, the primary sub-pitch man. When the recruiter feels you're starting to bite, you are handed off to “The Closer”, a stiff in a suit that TELLS you you've made the right decision, how happy they are for you (and to get your 40 grand) and just how easy and affordable all this is (even though 40G IS a lot of money), then you're whisked off to financial aide, and your life is signed away before you've had any time to truly think about this decision objectively. Its classic Bait and Switch. Anyone that has been through the admissions process at ITT can not deny this. If you do, you're lying to yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (186) / No (132) Reply - Report abuse

Scott Tudehope in Tracy, California

52 months ago

I Care! in Lexington, Kentucky said:

The problem with the former ITT Tech manager and instructor's analysis of the accreditation system, is that she conveniently forgot to mention that these proprietary schools PAY for their salaries, staff and other expenses. Seriously, do you really think that the way that the current system is set up that an unbiased critique results from this set up? Think again.

While many of the credits now transfer, when I was there just two years ago in San Bernardino, Calif., none of the general education credits did. What ITT Bleech doesn't quite comprehend that is when you constantly attack helpless teachers, making a game of it in actuality, this detracts from your core mission. I saw managers roaming the hallways peering into rooms to see if teachers were in class, I saw teachers quit on the spot, I saw (and became) sacked without due process and much, much more. I now work for one of ITT's competitors, which has to gall them. Heck, I even invest in this competitor.

Buyer, beware. You've been warned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (114) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Brewster, New York

52 months ago

Scott,
ITT is a very expensive option for those uninformed. You are correct in that it is a rip off - in terms of $$$$$. You can (and should) attend your local community college - same degree, software and 85% cheaper.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (128) / No (98) Reply - Report abuse

Love ITT in Wheaton, Illinois

48 months ago

ITT is awesome! it's not the school that's the problem. It's the people that goes there and don't do anything about learning. Everyone always wants to blame someone or something for there problems. I know plenty of people that goes to ITT and are very successful in their career. You can go to any four year and still come out a dumb ass. In this world you have to be a man and make your own decision in life. I am sick of all the people on here that is trying to down the school (ITT). Get a life, ITT will be around forever. If you don't like ITT go somewhere else, as for the ex-teachers...keep it that way. And for those who are trying to find the right school, don't be afraid to go to ITT. (Be a master of your craft)|don't let the devil on your shoulder talk you our of your dreams and aspirations. Learn, get it all and create a life that you always want. Ask yourself why is all these people talking trash about ITT, why are they trying to stop you from moving up in life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (252) / No (159) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

It's no different at DeVry. I worked briefly for Advanced Academics, Inc., an online ripoff subsidiary for grades 6-12 until just recently. I have now experienced (outside of ITT Bleech) what it's like to be in the McDonalds of education. At DeVry, the CEO made about the same amount of money last year - in the depths of a tough recession - meanwhile four teachers including myself were about to be laid off without notice. I saw it coming, but didn't say too much, as who needs that in a small office?

Apparently, the for-profit institutions are going to be investigated soon by Congress. A man who helped blow the whistle on the greedy banks has made it his mission to take them all down. I wish him luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (88) / No (100) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

The places are mere money factories, pure and simple.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (96) Reply - Report abuse

Amy Smith in Indianapolis, Indiana

48 months ago

It was $426.00 per credit hour for AAS and BS. The MBA was 456.00. Whatever, still too much unless one graduates and is making 60,000+. The engineering degrees on campus do see a higher salaries, equipping them with the ability to actually handle their student loan payments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (74) Reply - Report abuse

itt_instructor in Dallas, Texas

47 months ago

I saw the post by luvbnamommy and wanted to respond.
> luvbnamommy stated: I do not agree they offer an inferior product.
>>> My Reply - How would you define inferior regarding this topic? I would say that if someone enrolled in ITT Tech in order to get a recognized degree, one which may also allow them to transfer to a Regionally accredited college or university…the yes! They are in fact getting a vastly inferior product. During my time teaching there I had many students approach me thinking they could get into a state university…only to be upset when they found out their degree is never going to be recognized…nor any of the classes they took.
Here’s the latest report on places like ITT Tech (which is for-profit) and what they are doing: www.gao.gov/new.items/d10948t.pdf
Another link here: www.beta.coolstatela.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1329%3Afeds-investigate-for-profit-colleges&Itemid=559
> luvbnamommy stated: Many people are speaking on subject they are unfamiliar with.
>>> My Reply - I taught for over a year, working many late nights and working hard to provide the education the students paid ITT Tech for. I was also approached many times and asked if I wanted to become a full time instructor. Note most of the instructors are now adjuncts…it saves a lot for the company.
> luvbnamommy stated: All instructors at ITT have their masters or phd; but a masters is the minimal requirement in order to teach at any ITT.
>>> My Reply - Not so. Although I have a masters degree…the majority of the faculty did NOT have a masters…they mostly had bachelor degrees. And there were NO PhD’s on staff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (88) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Continued from previous post...
> luvbnamommy stated: In addition, our facility also aquires instructors who actually work in the profession for which they are teaching. I have personally witnessed instructors who do not meet teaching standards get cut.
>>> My Reply - Not exactly. The instructors I saw get fired (I actually had to pick up a few classes) were very substandard and even the students who like goofing off did not appreciate how dumbed down the teaching was. This posed a very touchy issue…ITT Tech did not want to lose any of their ‘customers’ (aka..students). So, the instructors in question were let go. I even had students re-taking (actually sitting in) on courses I taught which they had from other instructors that did not teach the material (although the students passed).
Oh, it’s spelled ‘acquires’ not ‘aquires’.

> luvbnamommy stated: ITT is very particular in their selection of teachers. After each quarter, students fill out a survey based on every class, each instructor, and the curricula. ITT bases their decisions based on these surveys. I have even seen instructors get booted a few weeks in to a quarter due to student complaints. Maybe people should consider the source before giving creedence to these entries.
>>> My Reply - The surveys are actually done during each course, about half to three quarters through, and (the electronic versions) are registered with ITT Tech headquarters. Note there is one that is administered a little earlier during each course, but that one is paper based and reviewed by the Dean and department chair so they can head off any problems. The instructors get bonuses for high ratings…some even buy the students pizza so they get more favorable reviews.
Oh, it’s spelled ‘credence’ not ‘creedence’.

One more to follow...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (85) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

I can understand luvbnamommy, and everyone else for that matter, sincerely wants the decisions and direction they choose to follow in life to be good ones. No one wants to be stuck in the middle of a bad situation, especially one that you willingly (and probably enthusiastically) walked into. It's easy to see, just check out any forums on this subject, that people will abandon all reason and common sense to defend a bad decision they've made. Nobody wants to FEEL 'stupid' or duped, and many will eternally be in denial.

Of all the very fine, pertinent information itt_instructor in Dallas has provided, maybe the most important is that no one flunks! Students are given a free pass. They do just as much as they have to to minimize lawsuits. All they care about at the end of the day is the stockholder.

Also, what brings all of these 'pro-itt' people here? Why would someone, if they were entirely confident w/ITT, be searching for ITT-bashing forums? They are filled with doubt, that's why. They are finally beginning to wonder how bad a mistake they made, or they are a shareholder.

If you are happy w/ITT, good for you I guess, but don't try to influence some poor idiot to go in debt 50k for an associates degree that no one will recognize or appreciate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (94) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

*No one in my classes flunked out (unlike university attended), the admin made sure of that. Each chair is at least 38k profit. We had two instructors that were very good, they were very challenging, and were the only technical instructors NOT to hand out or give us, in the form of notes, the tests (midterms, finals, ext) verbatim the week before the tests. people graduated w/3.0+ while only attending about 30% of classes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (84) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

*sorry for the number of posts, but I stated that "Each chair is at least 38k profit", which was simply a guesstimate (price of ITT associate - price of recognized associate). It could be more or less. . .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (83) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

I believe what you're saying. When I taught in San Bernardino, a job which I was later fired for (real reason - got caught between two powerful men and came up on the losing end), I was constantly pressured to prove that so-and-so had failed, or for that matter earned a C or D. Grade inflation is rampant there, and the quality of education is directly linked to its national accreditation. The accreditation team is PAID by the very corporations through fees, so you tell me if they don't have a vested interest in keeping the machine greased.

The entire organization, from top to bottom (and it's VERY top down, trust me) is profit driven. They look at numbers DAILY and constantly berate, belittle, and demean good instructors like me. As I was LED OUT OF THE BUSINESS LIKE A CRIMINAL, I told them that eventually what comes around goes around. The best thing that they ever did was get rid of me. Within a month I found a real teaching job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (76) Reply - Report abuse

Amy Smith in Fishers, Indiana

47 months ago

To the former San Bernadino professor, you nailed it and are 100% correct about the profit. I was amazed by the treatment of online recruiters. You got by w/murder if you recruited. If openly factual and honest about all related information (i.e. credits not transferring to regional schools) your recruiting numbers were not w/in the minimum standards of 19 students. Actually, I was stunned by what I overheard in terms of false promises. There were instances when one online rep was talking so inappropriately (very nasty to a parent)-mgmt should have escorted him out immediately. But he was still around when I left....Oh,BTW, big congrats on landing your teaching position!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (69) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Amy Smith in Indianapolis, Indiana said: It was $426.00 per credit hour for AAS and BS. The MBA was 456.00. Whatever, still too much unless one graduates and is making 60,000+. The engineering degrees on campus do see a higher salaries, equipping them with the ability to actually handle their student loan payments.

I have no problem someone wanting to attend here for sheer pleasure (hey, I saw it) and the joy of learning. What I object to is the misuse of federal loans and military benefits. As soon as they find out that you're a veteran, you are on their "C20L" (Call 20 times list) designation. Notice how many times that they called you to just get you campus? They do that because statistics have shown that if you show up they are more likely to close the deal, which is just common sense. What is scary is that they have statistics which show exactly what percentage of people sign up. They know before you sign if you'll sign, in other words.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (75) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

We speak the truth about a corrupt organization, that's why. What I observed in my two years and seven months of hard work in general education was an underemphasis on academic standards and an elevation of profits. The number one concern at ANY for-profit institution in money, purely and simply.

Finally, may I comment upon your poor grammar? I counted something like nine or ten grammatical errors in your post out of Wheaton. College students are expected to have conquered this set of problems by now and it points to what I was saying earlier. This is disturbing at best, and indicative of what passes for OK at this 'college'.

My advice, from someone who damaged his career by teaching there: Don't waste your time or precious money at ITT Tech, who were SUED by ITT for the use of its name decades ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (75) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

ITT Tech is hardly selective in whom they allow to teach there. I was thrust into the classroom without having even been taken through the stupid "boot camp" preparation class. This became an issue when I issued term paper (!) guidelines. The students knew that they wouldn't have to actually write, and they were correct. I was quickly taken aside and told that I couldn't assign large writing assignments.

In short, my brand new General Education chair, who would get fired for making homosexual passes at some of the male teachers, "forgot" to tell me about the preparation session. I recovered, but it was embarrassing.

I saw 'teachers' there who REFUSED to show up the second time because the students there were rough, tatted up menaces. On two occasions my students were taken out of my class in handcuffs. One of my students was wanted for MURDER in Riverside, Calif., and apparently he enrolled in class in order to get closer to his next target. Wouldn't you know that both students were in the same room as the murderer was taken away by the law. My God!

I knew of instructors who got students pregnant, who went out drinking with their students, who did deals for grades and other horrible stuff. God, the place is the stuff of nightmares!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (73) Reply - Report abuse

lilly in Riverside, California

46 months ago

I would like to add my two cents I have learning problems that a regular university doesn't help with I like that I only see these studnets and teachers for at my school not itt for 5 weeks and then I get another class. I know itt works every 11 weeks you get 3 new classes I like that. At a jc or 4 yr. I am stuck with students and teacher who in no way have helped me with the quick pace of iit or me school I find for me works great. Thanks for reading.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

Stpn2me in Carlisle, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

Hello Guys...

I am a graduate student at Webster University. Since I am in the military, alot of my education has been online with some of it being the traditional brick and Mortar. I have been seeing the ITT commercials lately and so has a cousin of mine. We are both in the IT fields and he has been asking me about schools lately. I told him not to mess with ITT. I have no affiliation with the school.

If you are thinking about going there, think of these things...

Why when you apply do you <I>have</I> to speak with a counselor? You shouldnt have to speak with anyone to apply to the school. When you look on the website, you can barely find anything on their accredition. And it doesnt say it's regionally registered. And the high price. God, my master's in IT Tech at Webster's is cheaper per credit hour than this scam! An AA degree should be no more than $30 a credit hour. Period.

If you want to go to school just to get the experience, then do it. But if you plan on moving to a master's or having a job recognize your degree, dont go to this school.

Luvbnamommy,

I am from that area. You could have gotten a much better deal from Forsyth Tech or Guilford Community College. I went to Winston Salem State for about two years and those base credits followed me for several years when I was working on my first B.A. They were accepted by every university I went to. A BA or AA doesnt cost that much, especially in the Triad area. Get out of that school and get into a true N.C. school!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (73) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

The ultimate scam they perpetrated was the HUGE # of Gov. secured loans they procured for themselves, which led to the Sallie Mae Freddie Mac Bailout, and that, in turn, COST THE TAXPAYERS (i.e., you and I) ONE HUNDRED TWELVE BILLION DOLLARS. Students are played, conned by their (ITT's) financial aid dept. They push Sallie Mae on EVERY enrollee, and about 80% bite. Its a HUGE scam, and John Q. Taxpayer is the mark. ITT gets their money every quarter, every penny of your gov. backed loan whether it gets paid back or not. Then, because more than 90% of ITT grads default, as a result of this huge pile of "worthless loans" (which AREN'T worthless, because they nullify tax refunds for those loans and can't be discharged through bankruptcy) we give Sallie Mae Freddie Mac $112,000,000,000.00 to keep the ponzie scheme greased! Its Incredible! Billions and billions of dollars that ITT knows will fall on taxpayers.

Their game is ZERO percent about the student, one hundred percent about the buck. People should do as I did, I let my congressman know that I would NOT stand for it, and my vote would reflect that! Everyone should do the same & ITT will soon be out of business with no more gov. secured loans. It's 100% our tax dollars that's fueling this golum. W/O gov. funds, ITT will sink!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (79) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

You know, I looked at this comment from Iluvbnamommy...

...it doesn't mean is not any less milk than what you get from your local grocer; it just means you paid more for it due to circumstance.

But what if that milk wasnt accepted by the dept of Agriculture as being true whole milk? What if your local resturant wouldnt give that milk to their customers? What if local daycare centers wouldnt serve that milk to kids? Would you still buy it?

That is essentially the case with ITT. The education is worthless among upstanding employers, colleges and institutions...

Go to WSSU or to Wake Forest or to Forsyth Tech and see if their credits will transfer. Make sure you tell them that ITT isnt REGIONALLY accredited. Then look at the cost per hour. Wake Forest is even cheaper I think...Now tell me, why would you pay more than Wake Forest for a degree that isnt recognized by 98% of the United States?

Doesnt make sense to me...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (72) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Perely,

That isnt a straight sentence, but, ok...

ITT is what's called a trade school. It's not designed for higher education. It's designed for students who otherwise would not go to college. It's like a plumber's school or an electrician's trade school. Credits at those colleges usually will not transfer to traditional brick and mortar schools either. The problem is, they are selling themselves as if they are an institution of higher learning, that is accredited like a normal school. They are not. If you go to ITT, you will not be able to transfer the "BA" from ITT to get a master's. That might not mean much to you, which is why you went to ITT. You cant work for the govt with a degree from ITT. Well, you can work for the govt, just not in a job that requires a degree from a legit institution. The govt doesnt accept ITT degrees. I used to be a company commander in the military. Some soldiers who went to ITT couldnt go to OCS because the degree wasnt accepted...And yes, most of the time, everyone does check to see if the college is accreditited or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (76) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

What I am saying Perely,

The school is not representing itself correctly. ITT charges WAY too much for what they are offering. $40k for an associates? WHAT? Are you kidding me? $80K for a bachelors? LOL.

I am a graduate student and it's not costing that much for me to finish my MASTERS at Webster University, a PRIVATE school.

If you are not planning on going to grad school and you dont want to worry about actually having to qualify to get into a school, ITT is for you. There is no competition to get in. But that should tell you something about the school. People are saying the school is a scam because they are saying ITT is like a UNC or a Phoenix or a George Washington University. It just isnt. I can almost guarentee you, that if you go up against someone with a traditional degree for a job and everything else is equal, you will lose. Period. Alot of the pro-ITT people wont tell you that. But it's true....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (72) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

kirk watson in Noblesville, Indiana said: this guy has no clue

last yr i made 69,000

As a former instructor at ITT Tech, I couldn't be happier to hear that you are doing well, Kirk. It is such a relief to see that a few of our graduates are getting good paying jobs, and for what it's worth, I was never offered more than $54,000 a year to teach at ITT Tech in San Bernardino.

What I observed, however, was anything but success. A large minority of my adult students were harassed, hoodwinked, and even outright lied to. What I did was teach English composition and economics, telling the truth the entire way. That was the real reason that I was asked to leave. I got between an honest assistant dean in GE and his boss, the so-called dean in San Berdoo. I backec the wrong horse and out I went.

That's life. What I learned from that was to follow all corporate rules, keep my big mouth shut and smile, smile, smile. Live and learn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (69) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

You have a point there. The FBI actually shut down the entire ITT Tech campus at San Bernardino for alleged violations. They actually came up clean, but trust me, they were sweating bullets when that happened about ten years ago.

If ITT Tech would've just listened more to their instructors, rather than constantly harassing us on a regular basis, then two things would occur: more creativity and acceptance in the academic community. Because ITT Tech typically draws students who aren't always focused on solely academic concerns, the WASC accreditation, which I constantly proposed, was out of reach. They settled on an accreditation for national accreditation, which is intellectually and institutionally weaker than the WASC.

Remember that we are talking merely about a business here. I found it difficult to take them seriously for any length of time, as I knew that ultimately they were interested mainly in high salaries and bonuses for management, and profits for all. Again, they're just a business and I refuse to get all excited or emotional about any mere business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (69) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

(Regular words which are in ALL CAPS below are for emphasis only)

ITT Technical Institute is just that, a ‘Technical Institute’. Although it is accredited by the Department of Education, that accreditation is by a National Accreditation agency. What that means is the degree/credits earned ARE NOT GENERALLY accepted by an institution which is Regionally Accredited. With that being said I know of other FOR-PROFIT institutions (Kaplan University being one) which will accept an associate degree from ITT Technical Institute as credit towards one of their Regionally Accredited bachelor degrees.

If an ITT Tech degree was not accepted by an organization (military included), that could be due to the lack of Regional Accreditation, which seems to happen quite a bit. Plus that lack of Regional Accreditation could result in the degree as being seen as one from a trade school as the gentleman had previously pointed out.

I know of some folks who have gotten their associate degree from ITT Tech and have gone on to work for the federal government, because, it is technically a valid degree as far a hiring requirements (block check) go.

The reality is very few, if any, of those poor folks get to move up in their careers because of the ITT Tech degree. Rather, the few that do excel do so in spite of having an ITT Tech degree because they were quality applicants to begin with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (66) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

<I>I know of some folks who have gotten their associate degree from ITT Tech and have gone on to work for the federal government, because, it is technically a valid degree as far a hiring requirements (block check) go.</I>

No, sir, it's not a valid degree. Period. I seriously doubt anyone got a job with the requirement of a degree with the govt. You know why? Because if people with valid, regionally accredited degrees found out, they would have a case for arbitration, and the govt doesnt want that. I'm not saying they couldnt get a job, just not one with a requirement of a degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (67) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Yes sir, it does count and there is no case for arbitration. I know of folks right now working with at least one federal agency which took them right out of ITT Tech. They were good to go due to the fact that ITT Tech is accredited by the Department of Education.

A search at this site for 'ITT Tech' will turn up quite a few ITT Tech locations and list their recognize accreditation:

ope.ed.gov/accreditation/search.aspx

(I had pasted the results the this forum though it was a phone number)

I agree that the degree may not be looked upon favorably by industry, but the government will accept it in certain instances, and so will some companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (57) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Yes sir, I agree with you 100%. I too have seen the inflated prices of a worthless degree - $45,000.00 for an associate 'degree', and over $80,000.00 for a bachelor 'degree'.

When I was teaching there I found the books and materials they were using to be comparable to those used at a real college; however, the quality of the education provided was very poor. This was due to the mindset by administration that the students were 'customers'. We also had to call every evening during the first break to try to find out why a student hadn't shown up. We were expected to try to get them to come in to attend, even if it was for an hour.

Heck, two weeks of perfect attendance in a class won them 'free pizza' for the night. There was a lot of that going on, and, unfortunately, some poor instruction when some of the faculty didn't know the material.

Again, I totally agree with your statement and I would not have believed it had I not worked there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (67) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

ROTFLMAO,

Free pizza??? LOL..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (66) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

I never saw that. But I do believe you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (51) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

<I>I never saw that. But I do believe you.</I>

Yes,

It is there. But it's shown so fast, like a fast talking car salesman, that you dont see it. Why would a school do that? Is it because they dont want you to know the real nature of their business? Its it because they want you to think they are a matriculating school and not that they are a trade school? Think guys! THINK!!!

Again,

I'm not hating on ITT, but it's what they are NOT telling you that's bad for you. And that tells me something about the people who are running it. If they have to sell you a view of something they are, that tells me the school is unethical. This school is not like any other college but they are trying to masqurade(sp?) as a real college. Especially when during their commercials they are showing "schools" like a technology school or a business school or a criminal justice "school". It makes them sound legit. But they are only good for trades and not an institution of higher learning. Use them for what they are for if that's what you want.

If you dont want to go to graduate school, ITT may be for you. If you dont want to compete to get into some of the best schools in the nation, then ITT is for you. If you want to pay more than twice what it costs to get a comparable degree, ITT is for you. If you want to be in debt with a worthless degree and that debt equal what it takes for a normal school to get a master's AND a legit BA, then go to ITT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (68) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Why? its all about bodies in chairs, Enrollment is the bottom, no, the ONLY LINE. Not only do they have zero respect in the academic community, THEY DINT CARE!! It's strictly a numbers game, a certain # of people that are pitched will bite. Its a sales tactic as old as people. Anybody thats ever been in sales knows exactly what I'm talking about. The problem is that ITT has no accountability to the public, even though their extremely profitable operating budget is completely dependent on taxpayer funds because the # of defaults. Their advertising targets the hopeless . . . people desperate to improve their quality of life. They don't care, or have to care if you succeed, only that you come as close to graduating as humanly possible. ZERO accountability is the problem, our voices to and our votes for our representatives is the only way to stop this monster.

Zero gov.-backed loans until until the income taxes of ITT grads justifies the cost. Their doors will close forever and society will be a better place for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (67) Reply - Report abuse

Scott Tudehope in Etiwanda, California

42 months ago

I can't agree with you more. I felt that the longer that I stayed with ITT Tech, the more that the experience damaged my teaching career. On the other hand, it's merely a business and it's hard for me to take what they do all that seriously.

I never once read a book written by an ITT instructor, or saw an academic paper, for that matter. They're just business people, trying to compete against the real thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (68) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Sophroniscus...

CAL State? Oh really? What do you mean by "accepting"? Do you have a link, or PROOF?

250K a year? Really? Even with a BA, I find that hard to believe. Cabling? LOL. Who is going to pay someone 250K to run cable? That's an entry level job in the military that PVT's do!! LOL. Security? I know of no jobs paying 250K in security that pay that amount. Especially one that will take ITT's trade school degree. And when you say "Security", what are you talking about? That's pretty broad. That's how we know you are a fake or someone who works for ITT...

<I>I hate it when you sign up for core classes </I>

"Core" classes?? A trade school doesnt have "core" classes..LOL Why are you trying to pass off this trade school as a traditional school?
People..

DONT be fooled!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (72) Reply - Report abuse

Scott Tudehope in Etiwanda, California

41 months ago

As far as I know, no Cal State accepts ITT Tech's vocational degrees. This is not to say that people who attend there and graduate don't get good jobs. I am all for them, as they are my former students and I miss them terribly. I fought tooth and nail to up academic standards in San Bernardino, Calif., but to no avail, as we probably would have lost too many students had I prevailed.

I learned over time to just relax, enjoy my students' company, teach them what I knew and go with the flow. I was asked to leave after writing my own economics exam, instead of using the corporation's version. The real reason that I was asked to leave was that I refused to be afraid of management any more, was outspoken and controversial, I guess. I got between an assistant dean who transferred out and the remaining "dean" who was autocratic, brutal and mean spirited. On the other hand, Capenegro was under a lot of pressure from his bosses. He just chose to take it out on those beneath him.

Again, I want to stress that I loved what I did there. I taught economics and English, and made one or two lifetime collegial friends. I never want to give any of you the impression that ITT Tech is a worthless education. It isn't, and I admire my former students and colleagues.

Capenegro did the worst thing to me that he could. He took me away from my students in July 2009. Sure, I found a job within a month, but it meant that I had to move away from my family and live largely by myself. The recession blasted me out of the water, as it did a lot of others. What I've learned in life, ITT Tech students, is to be brave, outspoken if necessary, truthful and honest. This company often rewards loyalty to corporate dictates over any other trait. I just didn't fit in, and probably never did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (60) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Got it Scott. And dont get me wrong. The school has it's place. My problem comes in how they are marketing the school. People need to understand this school is basically a trade school, like being a plumber or electrician or a hair dresser. People need to understand that this degree isnt going to let them advance into the upper realms of IT, they will be stuck running cable, configuring servers and loading patches. If that's your thing, then go for it. But always know, the education you get at ITT CAN BE GOTTEN FOR CHEAPER. It shouldnt cost $40k to become a systems administrator. And if you want to furthur your education, you will have to go back to another college to get a real "BS" degree to get a master's, as no accredited school is going to accept your prior scholarly work, as you havent done any, you have only went to a trade school for entry level technical skills. Anybody can become an IT administrator these days, and what the school isnt telling you, those jobs arent there like they used to be. Why should they be? A computer can do it's own backups now. Databases are ready made out of the box. Why do companies need 15 administrators now? What's needed are Database engineers, not database babysitters, but people who can truly code the database objects on a higher level. What's needed are systems analysts who can see the network on an enterprise level and create it from there. You wont get that level of education at ITT. The skills ITT is training people for, those skills are already over-saturated in the market place, which is why people with ITT degrees cannot get jobs, employers have too many people with legit computer science degrees to choose from...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (65) Reply - Report abuse

ITTFORMERCAREERSERVICES in Los Angeles, California

41 months ago

To the guy who said he was making $250,000 per year, I can guarantee that is a lie. Even certified electricians don't make that much money. I was a Career Services Specialist for ITT for three years, and I can tell you that we had to beg employers to take our students. So many employers had been turned off by the fact that ITT students/grads had stood them up for interviews, that they wanted NOTHING to do with our students or graduates. I would spend nearly all day on the phone trying to convince employers to at least review our graduates' resumes.

My job was very trying because I had many students who were very smart and eager to get a job, but I had MORE students who wanted Career Services to do everything for them. Let me state for the fact that Career Services does not guarantee interviews or jobs to anyone, They were simply there to help you put together a resume, get it out to employers and of course we would send your resume to employers too.

I couldn't believe how many students (mind you adults,) that would create resumes and use numbers that were disconnected or inappropriate emails. We had to baby a ton of the students and I felt like ITT treated their grads and students like high school kids. There is no way you can call this "Corporation," a College or a University. The kids are taught out of outdated books and the poor professors have to call the kids if they don't show up for class and basically give them a rundown of what they missed. This wouldn't happen at a reputable college. I had one professor tell me that the director and dean told him that he would be fired if he failed anymore students (even though the students did NO work and didn't show up for class.) ITT wants to churn the students through the system and they want their dough. They don't care about education. They are a corporation that cares about money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (65) Reply - Report abuse

Sophroniscus in San Diego, California

41 months ago

I go around the world installing Network systems for companies so they have the same NEC as we do in the US. Yeah I do make more than a typical PVT like you said do. ITT Tech is expensive you got to think about it University are ran by sate and federal so that is why their tuition is cheaper. In California mostly all state universities cannot afford to have students and cutting back due to budget cost. If you think they treat you like a kid then you must act like one. Few years ago I have no problem after serving the military and having them pay for my school was fine by me. I bust my ass work hard and went out there showing them I know plus getting my certs in the mean time while attending school. It about the students not the degree, you can have a 1.0 GPA student with a BS in computers that went to SDSU and pass but don;t know stuff about computers while the other student went to some tech school got a 3.0 or better with a BS in computer. Who are you going to hire on their resume one says SDSU and the other ITT Tech. I believe its who you are and the degree gets your foot in the door with employers. On the other hand if you want to go to the campus when they have students graduate and ask the employers over there why they hire ITT Tech grads. In my graduation they had Sony, Intel, Intuit and some other government contract employers. I started out low with my degree my employer was in the same boat of thinking like you. Well I prove him wrong I work circles around of his "Legit computer degree people" Its not where you get it its the person you are. Come on its not becoming a medical doctor with an online degree YEAH that is a different story. And I am sorry that you have bad experience with ITT Tech most people do, but my experience has been wonderful. Just remember someday you will have a boss that went to a college you don't like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Whatever Sophroniscus,

I havent had a bad experience with ITT because I'm not stupid enough to go there. ITT isnt telling the students the truth about their degrees. And Universities are not cheaper just because they are run by the state and federal govt. Dude, I am getting a master's degree in IT management from Webster's University and it's about 20k CHEAPER THAN A B.S. from ITT!!! Dude, my B.A. in Business/Information Systems from St. Leo University combined with my Master's from Webster's wont be CLOSE TO 40k that YOU paid for a "degree" from ITT! People are getting scammed by this school. Period.

"I go around the world installing Network systems for companies "

Sophroniscus,

Do you even understand how THAT statement sounds to people who are already in the business? No one "goes around the world" just to install "Network systems". What are you talking about? Can you see why this is suspect? You arent even talking the lingo of IT professionals in a professional way. You sound like if you are even in the IT realm, you are nothing more than a cable runner or server installer, no way would anyone let you create a network or put together a Work Statement to create one. And by the way, a "degree" from ITT would not get you ready to do what Systems Analysts do. Look it up. Job Recuiters can smell when someone is blowing sunshine up their asses and it sounds like that's what you are doing...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (59) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

And by the way Sop,

Webster's and St. Leo are PRIVATE Universities and are not state supported schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

James in Chalfont, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

I agree with Stpn2me just look at the complaints to stupid "schools" like ITT tech

what a shame the government doesn't shut these diploma mills down

all they care about is getting the most amount of students in the door for maximum revenue via federal student loans

i've also heard of employees making these fake positive posts touting how great there school is

people like these should be ashamed of themselves to

they're no better the slimey salesmen doing whatever they can do for money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (58) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.