What are the chances of getting hired from a contract position?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Anthony C in San Diego, California

86 months ago

I have the opportunity to take a contract position at Intuit for which I'm frankly overqualified. However, I'm attracted to the company and culture and would hope to be hired permanently in a higher level position at the termination of the contract. In other words, I'd be looking at the contract position as a "foot in the door" at Intuit, assuming another position for which I'm qualified arises.

I'd like to know Intuit's track record/policy for hiring contractors to permanent roles...Is this a good way to get into the company? What is the probability for being hired this way?

This is a critical question for me, as I expect to receive an offer of permanent employment from another company and am weighing the option of "rolling the dice" with Intuit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gail Houston in San Diego, California

86 months ago

Intuit will always look to our contract staff when we have additional openings...while I have not been with Intuit that long I have seen a number of people move to a perm role and I recommend this as an option to people if I don't have a full time opening at the time. It is a great way to start your career with Intuit.

That being said, you have an offer in hand and you need to carefully evaluate the pros and cons of accepting that offer since their is no guarantee that you will go perm. Is the offer a company you can see yourself having a long term future with? How does it compare to the position with Intuit you are trying to move into? Have you discussed the other offer with your Intuit leaders to see if and when they think they could move you into a perm role?

I wish you the best as you work through these questions...it is a difficult decision that you will be making. Let me know what you decide and thank you for interest.

Gail Houston
gail_houston@intuit.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anthony C in San Diego, California

86 months ago

Thank you so much Gail! Those are exactly the questions I am struggling with. However, it's good to know that Intuit has an established practice of hiring contractors to perm roles. The hiring manager for the position at Intuit said the same thing and it seems there are some opportunities for advancement for someone with my skill set (marketing/communications/editorial). I'll factor this into my decision process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wap in Iowa City, Iowa

33 months ago

Hi Anthony C,
Did you join Intuit? Were you able to get a perm position in Intuit? Please update.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.