How to get a job at Iron Mountain.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Host

Do you work at Iron Mountain? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

ion mata in Springfield, Massachusetts

89 months ago

i want to get a job at iron mountain as a driver from 6pm at niht to midniht thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Park Forest, Illinois

68 months ago

Applied to this company for a driving job many of times and I keep getting the same "canned" email response that I do not fit the needs of the company. Comparing my resume to the job qualifications that they list I meet the needs 100%. I am starting to think they do not even have an opening but they are just collecting our info for some kind of database. Conspiracy theory? Sure why not

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rummah Kasai in Collegeville, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

I was able to get a phone interview for one of the telesales positions they keep advertising. It was a complete waste of time. Not only did the interviewer fail to keep the appointments he made, but he had no interest in the telemarketing work I had previously done. Once he discovered I had not sold to "Fortune 500" companies, he lost interest. It didn't matter that I'd done telesales for years and built up an impressive list of clients. I didn't fit his profile and he wasn't interested.
I think the ads you see this company running all the time are just means to chum the waters so they can find the occasional big fish. Don't waster your time with them unless you've done 6 years of telesales to huge companies and can prove you had some kind of "goal" sheet you had to meet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

Rummah Kasai in Collegeville, Pennsylvania said: I was able to get a phone interview for one of the telesales positions they keep advertising. It was a complete waste of time. Not only did the interviewer fail to keep the appointments he made, but he had no interest in the telemarketing work I had previously done. Once he discovered I had not sold to "Fortune 500" companies, he lost interest. It didn't matter that I'd done telesales for years and built up an impressive list of clients. I didn't fit his profile and he wasn't interested.
I think the ads you see this company running all the time are just means to chum the waters so they can find the occasional big fish. Don't waster your time with them unless you've done 6 years of telesales to huge companies and can prove you had some kind of "goal" sheet you had to meet.

Five years ago, when I was last out of work, I had responded to one of the ads for Inside Sales Reps by sending my resume to Dick (but now I can't remember his last name). He never responded, but then I got a call from somebody else in the company about a Customer Service opening, but I couldn't get there because it wasn't accessible by public transportation. Five years later, they are still running ads on the Internet for the same position.

Speaking of telemarketing; let me tell you this little doosy. In 1989, I had applied for a telemarketing job over in New Jersey, and the woman asked about the calls that I made. I even went over there for an interview and she said that my background was more customer service. This is because most of my previous telephone contact experience has been with these telemarketing service agencies and market research firms; who are hired by other companies to do their various sales, marketing, and research projects. But anyway, this job was making appointments for their sales reps by cold calling out of the telephone book. This was crazy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Rummah Kasai: if you have had previous telemarketing experience, you should be able to get a job in telemarketing. It doesn't matter whether or not you have ever sold to Fortune 500 companies: if you have the experience, you should be able to do the job. And even if you did get hired, they still have to train you. I mean, this is crazy!

In my previous telephone contact experience, I have talked to doctors and other medical and business professionals, and residential consumers. I have solicited newsletter subscriptions to both business and legal professionals, solicited credit card accounts to residential customers, detailed doctors and other medical professionals by sending out sample over-the-counter medications, recruited doctors and other participants for focus group discussions, and telephone surveys to both business professionals and residential consumers on various topics for market research purposes.

Your skills are transferrable into any industry. I don't know what type of telemarketing that you've done, but just keep plugging away. Don't give up. Just keep on trying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Maybe I should have you try to explain this to the a-hole recruiter who was working for them. Not only did this genius fail to keep two appointments with me, but when I did get him on the phone he didn't know my name.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

And I see they are still baiting their traps all over the Internet. Don't be fooled people: this company has no intention of hiring anyone who doesn't fit their secret qualifications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PJH in Penfield, New York

52 months ago

There was a posting for a Transportation Manager in Rochester, NY. I applied through the Iron Mountain website.I received an email response that I was not qualified for the position.I looked over the qualifications and matched up with every last one of them.I then printed out my resume and mailed it.I received a call about 10 days later from Jenn in Boston.She is a recruiter.We set up a phone interview.It went well enough that I made it to round 2 with the HR Director for the Western NY territory--she was located in Pittsburgh??Dena was her name.We had about a 90 minute phone interview (which I hate doing!!)She called me back the next day and said that the VP of Operations would be in the area that Friday which was 2 days later.I made the appointment and that went really well.About a week later I received a call from Jenn again saying that the General Manager for Transportation wanted to meet with me.I was heading out on vacation the following week so I had her push it up and made the 90 minute drive out to Syracuse to meet Tim Murphy.I sat down with Tim and he told me that I had the job, he just wanted to meet with me to make sure that he liked me.He went over starting salary numbers and said that he would get with Dena to put a formal offer together.He wanted to make sure that I had email and that I would be willing to sign it and fax it back while on vacation.Needsless to say I left that meeting with a very positive feeling.Before I even made it home Dena called me to let me know that the VP of Ops or the entire Northern US territory wanted to interview me.That's 4 interviews.I emailed Tim to find out who he was and what role he played in Transp.Tim emailed me back and said that I have nothing to worry about. I had a 20 minute convo with Mr Kelly.He said Tim would follow up that day with an offer.I never heard anything back from Tim. HR emailed a rejection letter.I have no idea to date what happened.They will not share any feedback.No spaces due to size-sorry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

pjh in Penfield, New York

52 months ago

Just to be clear, I thought that perhaps they received information from a previous employer that they did not care for--I asked them not to check references unless an offer was made and they agreed to that throughout the process. I have never left a job on negative terms but I did not want my current employer to get nervous that I was looking elsewhere. It turns out that was a good decision. In hindsight I am glad I didn't get the job. It doesn't sound like they have their crap together. It sounds like quite the revolving door in middle-management due to a poor conveyance of what the expectations are. The same job was posted a year ago. Everything happens for a reason--I just wasted a ton of time on nothing is why I am frustrated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

What you went through doesn't surprise me in the least little bit. Something is very messed up with this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jszczepanski@roadrunner.com in Buffalo, New York

43 months ago

WHY, WHY .WHY. EVERY TIME I TRY TO LOG IN IT TELL'S ME THE PASSWORD IS
NO GOOD.PLEASE HELP.WHAT THE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

This company is still posting ads for inside sales reps. They definitely must have very high turnover there.

25 months ago

I would be curious to know if anyone has ever worked inside sales for this outfit. Do these jobs even exist?

jzu jzu in Denton, Texas

17 months ago

they only hire black people

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nurlenz in new orleans, Louisiana

20 days ago

I work at Iron Mountain. The secret on how to get a job is.......YOU HAVE TO KNOW SOMEONE WHO WORKS HERE!!!!! Not just anyone mind you, it has to be someone who kisses a_ _ with management. That is why I am still here because that is one of the requirements. IM does not have rules but laws. You are not allowed to talk on company time with other employees or you will be written up. So you kind of work in fear. This is the only place I have ever worked where most employees have to take nerve pills and pain pills (due to lifting heavy boxes). The pay and medical ins. is the only reason I am still here. My own doctor told me to quit my job before I had a heart attack. This company is run like New Orleans is run by crooked politicians. You still want a job here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nurlenz in new orleans, Louisiana

20 days ago

Host said: Do you work at Iron Mountain? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Hang it up son.....the only way you will get a job at IM is if we buy out the company you currently work for. Then we will observe you for a few weeks to see if you IM material. If you are not you will be set up for failure and fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.