Perosnal Banker

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

michiganmatters in Detroit, Michigan

61 months ago

Just wondering whats going on. I applied for a few PB positions @ Chase and each one of them I got turned down. And when I say turned down I don't mean after an interview, I didn't even get an interview, a call, or anything, all I did was submit my resume and got the response "not interested."

I hold a Series 7 (better than S6), Series 66 (better than 63 or 65), and LAH licenses and have been in the business for 2 years at a much larger institution. And can't for the life of me figure out why they would turn down such a qualified candidate. It makes more sense to me to welcome in experienced professionals who are already licensed than bring in someone new, pay to get them licensed, and it not work out because they don't understand how tough the business is.

Is it because Chase isn't really seeking to hire someone right now? They're just "testing the waters" to see what talent is out there? They only hire new brokers, don't train old ones (Boiler Room)? I'm just looking for a clue here because I'm REALLY perplexed by how that went because I really wanted to work at Chase.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mimi in New York, New York

61 months ago

I am not sure what happened with you, but Chase is ALWAYS hiring. I work at Chase and they are hiring. There is a guy that just came in who is being tested by working as a Personal Banker before they hire him permanently. If you REALLY want to work at Chase keep applying but I WOULD NOT recommend it. Go to HSBC. They pay a lot more. If sales is your thing then Chase maybe the answer for you. Good Luck!!

61 months ago

Mimi in New York, New York said: I am not sure what happened with you, but Chase is ALWAYS hiring. I work at Chase and they are hiring. There is a guy that just came in who is being tested by working as a Personal Banker before they hire him permanently. If you REALLY want to work at Chase keep applying but I WOULD NOT recommend it. Go to HSBC. They pay a lot more. If sales is your thing then Chase maybe the answer for you. Good Luck!!

Do you recall the guy coming into the branch prior to him being hired? I'm thinking about dropping resumes at all the local branches but I don't feel like I should have to.

61 months ago

You are right, you shouldn't have to drop your resume at all of the local Branches. Besides, they are just going to tell you to go online. That is the only way to get the job and of course the if you know someone game. I don't remember him coming into the Branch before being hired at all. Why do you really want to work at Chase? Have you applied to any other Banks?

Can you tell me exactly what you did when you applied? Did you just set up a profile and that was it or did you set up a profile and started applying to all of the positions in your local area?

61 months ago

Mimi in New York, New York said: You are right, you shouldn't have to drop your resume at all of the local Branches. Besides, they are just going to tell you to go online. That is the only way to get the job and of course the if you know someone game. I don't remember him coming into the Branch before being hired at all. Why do you really want to work at Chase? Have you applied to any other Banks?

Can you tell me exactly what you did when you applied? Did you just set up a profile and that was it or did you set up a profile and started applying to all of the positions in your local area?

I want an organization I can grow to a Senior Level Management position with and Chase, being one of our countries largest banks seems to present that opportunity. I think having some experience at my bank, plus receiving my MBA should accelerate my career progress. My focus is in banking so yes, I have applied at other banks.

When I applied online I set up the profile, completed a tax credit survey, and applied to all the positions in my area.

61 months ago

Hmmm... Thats interesting. I am not sooo sure what to tell you. Chase will hire almost anyone. Experience or not. I can't say you are overqualified because I know someone who works in Chase as a PB and is now a BB and has a MBA too. He got his MBA before working at Chase. Most of the bankers at Chase don't even have degrees nor have they ever worked in a Bank before. Some of them do but its not a requirement.

Have you applied for a Business Banker Position instead of a regular Personal Banker Position?

The turnover rate in Chase is extremely high so I am very shocked they aren't hiring people who are obviously qualified.

61 months ago

Mimi in New York, New York said: Hmmm... Thats interesting. I am not sooo sure what to tell you. Chase will hire almost anyone. Experience or not. I can't say you are overqualified because I know someone who works in Chase as a PB and is now a BB and has a MBA too. He got his MBA before working at Chase. Most of the bankers at Chase don't even have degrees nor have they ever worked in a Bank before. Some of them do but its not a requirement.

Have you applied for a Business Banker Position instead of a regular Personal Banker Position?

The turnover rate in Chase is extremely high so I am very shocked they aren't hiring people who are obviously qualified.

No business banker positions are open in my area. What's the difference between the PB and BB?

60 months ago

PB is Personal Banker and BB is Business Banker.

60 months ago

Mimi in New York, New York said: PB is Personal Banker and BB is Business Banker.

I knew that! What I meant is how are their jobs different? As I understand it, PB's are mainly responsible for opening new checking accounts. Some information I've read says they may also handle loans, safe deposit banking, etc.

Do BB's do all that and more? Do they work specifically and only with business clients, and what are their general responsibilities to those clients?

60 months ago

Business Bankers usually open Business Accounts. I am not too sure if they are opening checking accounts. They do have some Bankers who do half Business and half Personal. I forgot what they are called. They usually become full blown Business Bankers. The thing is the Personal Banker can still open the Business account and as far as I know the Business Banker still gets half commission but his name doesn't go on the sale. Don't think that if you are still getting half the commission that is all that matters because you are not making the sale whether you get the commission or not. It will eventually cause a problem with you not meeting your sales goals. Chase is all about sales. That is all they care about. PB and the BB have targets and so do the Tellers. They handle all of that other stuff with loans too. I am not too sure about the deposit banking.

I am not sure if Bankers Open Personal Accounts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Mimi in New York, New York said: Business Bankers usually open Business Accounts. I am not too sure if they are opening checking accounts. They do have some Bankers who do half Business and half Personal. I forgot what they are called. They usually become full blown Business Bankers. The thing is the Personal Banker can still open the Business account and as far as I know the Business Banker still gets half commission but his name doesn't go on the sale. Don't think that if you are still getting half the commission that is all that matters because you are not making the sale whether you get the commission or not. It will eventually cause a problem with you not meeting your sales goals. Chase is all about sales. That is all they care about. PB and the BB have targets and so do the Tellers. They handle all of that other stuff with loans too. I am not too sure about the deposit banking.

I am not sure if Bankers Open Personal Accounts.

Well I finally got a call from Chase, I think its one of the banker positions but I've applied for a few others that I qualify for. What work do you do at Chase?

60 months ago

I am just a Teller at Chase lol.

Congrats on your phone call from Chase.

Let us know what happens and how it goes.

60 months ago

Mimi in New York, New York said: I am just a Teller at Chase lol.

Congrats on your phone call from Chase.

Let us know what happens and how it goes.

Got turned down... oh well.

60 months ago

michiganmatters in Detroit, Michigan said: Got turned down... oh well.

Why do you think you were turned down?

I bet you won't believe this but I interviewed with Chase twice before getting hired. I had the first interview and they turned me down. Then I was called in for the second interview a few weeks later for another branch. They hired me. It all depends on that Branch. I don't know how it is where you are at but where I am at the lady told me that If they were going to hire me they would have called me already. So the lady didn't call me and to be honest I knew she wasn't lol. The second Branch interview I just had a feeling I had the job and I did.
I am not sure if they have a main HR dept that hires and then places or if the Branch decides who they want. Where I am at its the Branch and not the HR dept.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

michiganmatters in Detroit, Michigan said: Got turned down... oh well.

How many branches did you apply to?

Sonul GH in Las Vegas, Nevada

58 months ago

Hey guys!
I am thinking to apply for PB position at Chase, currently I work as a bookkeeper for a grociery store and I have an international bachalor degree in Business Administration. I want to take series 63 exam before applying. What do you think guys is that a good idea? And is there any chance for me to get hiered?

not hired in Bay Village, Ohio

57 months ago

I guess I was fortunate because I did get an interview but my interview was a joke. I walked in the branch and a young man walked up to me and asked if he could help me. I told him that I was here for an interview for a PB position. I sat down and he walked over to a group of people which consisted of the district manager,branch manager and a young man and told them that I was here for an interview. They all turned to look at me and all of them laughed and I knew at that point that I had no chance of getting a job.I did get a short interview but it was obvious to me that the way I looked was not what the District manager was looking for. The next day all the PB jobs I had applied for were gone. I did not have a chance to talk with anyone else. Everyone in the branch was young and looked like models which is I guess what there looking for. After my experience I am glad I did not get the job and can just imagine what kind of service customers get if they are not the perfect model type person that comes in for help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kind Enuff in Chicago, Illinois

56 months ago

michiganmatters in Detroit, Michigan said: Just wondering whats going on. I applied for a few PB positions @ Chase and each one of them I got turned down. And when I say turned down I don't mean after an interview, I didn't even get an interview, a call, or anything, all I did was submit my resume and got the response "not interested."

I hold a Series 7 (better than S6), Series 66 (better than 63 or 65), and LAH licenses and have been in the business for 2 years at a much larger institution. And can't for the life of me figure out why they would turn down such a qualified candidate. It makes more sense to me to welcome in experienced professionals who are already licensed than bring in someone new, pay to get them licensed, and it not work out because they don't understand how tough the business is.

Is it because Chase isn't really seeking to hire someone right now? They're just "testing the waters" to see what talent is out there? They only hire new brokers, don't train old ones (Boiler Room)? I'm just looking for a clue here because I'm REALLY perplexed by how that went because I really wanted to work at Chase.

It easy, u have all these SPONSORED licenses, which means you were sponsored by ur employers to sit for the exams, now u want a new job, they see you as jumping ship. its that easy. U will most likely do it to them too once they have invested in you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ROB in Lavaca, Arkansas

46 months ago

michiganmatters in Detroit, Michigan said: Just wondering whats going on. I applied for a few PB positions @ Chase and each one of them I got turned down. And when I say turned down I don't mean after an interview, I didn't even get an interview, a call, or anything, all I did was submit my resume and got the response "not interested."

........sounds like your over qualified and the managers are scared you won't do as your told!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ROB in Lavaca, Arkansas

46 months ago

Mimi in New York, New York said: Hmmm... Thats interesting. I am not sooo sure what to tell you. Chase will hire almost anyone. Experience or not. I can't say you are overqualified because I know someone who works in Chase as a PB and is now a BB and has a MBA too. He got his MBA before working at Chase. Most of the bankers at Chase don't even have degrees nor have they ever worked in a Bank before. Some of them do but its not a requirement.

...because the managers are afraid to hire qualified people that might take their job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

LuLopez in New York, New York

46 months ago

ROB in Lavaca, Arkansas said: ...because the managers are afraid to hire qualified people that might take their job!

Bingo. Many of the branch managers don't hold college degrees and will know very little about personal finances, loans or investments. They are just there to oversee the staff and say "we need more checking accounts!!" multiple times per day, as if that will help the bankers get more business.

It's sad, but at least the bankers usually make more than the managers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Art in Brooklyn, New York

39 months ago

LuLopez in New York, New York said: Bingo. Many of the branch managers don't hold college degrees and will know very little about personal finances, loans or investments. They are just there to oversee the staff and say "we need more checking accounts!!" multiple times per day, as if that will help the bankers get more business.

It's sad, but at least the bankers usually make more than the managers.

What do you mean bankers make more than the managers?

According to indeed's salary rankings, Bank Branch Managers make 76k, over 45k for Personal Bankers.

Who's right, you or indeed? No sarcasm here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.