Personal banker position?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 718)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

danne in Dallas, Texas

97 months ago

Blue...I have a friend that I worked with at Wells Fargo. He works for the bank there now as a personal banker and he likes it alot. I just spoke with him yesterday, but he is in the san antonio branch. That may be something you want to look into since Chase wasn't as welcoming to you. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Diane in Dallas, Texas

97 months ago

I applied for the PB position and accepted the job offer. I am now unsure of it, as I am currently making $60k+ and do not want to take a decrease in pay. I was told by the branch manager that I would easily make $60k, but it appears that 12K commission is average. If you are a current PB or know one, would you suggest I stay where I am at as far as the income goes? The base they offered is $32k. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

danne in Dallas, Texas

97 months ago

Diane what do you do for a living currently? That will help me to help you in your decisioning process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

countdown66 in South Bend, Indiana

97 months ago

Diane,

I would see if you could take a day and spend it at the brach where you would be working. There is quite a bit of money to be made, by being a person banker. The more traffic you have the more profitable you will be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

danne in Dallas, Texas

97 months ago

I currently work as a loan officer too and I made quite a bit of money, but honestly the market has become very unstable and I think that it is smart to take the position because you always have the ability to make commissions. I think it all depends on the branch that you work at. I am going for it. I know that I will take a loss the first year, while I learn the products and procedures, but the peace of mind is worth it. I know people who are personal bankers after doing mortgages and they love it, especially if you specialize in sub prime. that market is trully changing..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

blue in Irving, Texas

97 months ago

danne in Dallas, Texas said: Blue...I have a friend that I worked with at Wells Fargo. He works for the bank there now as a personal banker and he likes it alot. I just spoke with him yesterday, but he is in the san antonio branch. That may be something you want to look into since Chase wasn't as welcoming to you. Good luck

Thanks! I was actually able to get an interview with another Chase branch manager in another market. She was so nice and I really liked her. I hope she liked me too. I am waiting to hear back from the recruiter on if and when I will meet with the district manager. How long did it take for the recruiter to get back to you after your interviews with the branch and sales managers?

Also, does anyone know if the training for 7 weeks is paid or not?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bears85 in South Bend, Indiana

97 months ago

you get paid for the training and I think there is a $1000 bonus that you get after you pass your series 6 & 63 exams.

blue in Irving, Texas

97 months ago

bears85 in South Bend, Indiana said: you get paid for the training and I think there is a $1000 bonus that you get after you pass your series 6 & 63 exams.

That's good. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ajay Jain in Garland, Texas

97 months ago

I think sub prime is the villian out here. Its turning the industry upside down on its head. The problems of sub prime due a flood of foreclosures may affect the WHOLE mortgage industry or better yet burst the housing bubble!

danne in Western Springs, Illinois

97 months ago

Ajay you are correct, but I would go even further and say that it and say that the problem started with the crazy margins that the banks issued and the individual loan officers who did not educate their customers on the loan and how it works and what they need to do. also loan officers qualifying customers to buy more house than they can afford.

danne in Bellwood, Illinois

97 months ago

I met with the district manager today and I think it went well I should have word on the job in a few days I will keep you all posted.

blue in Irving, Texas

97 months ago

Hi Danne,

I have not heard back from my recruiter yet. How long after meeting with the branch manager did the recruiter get back to you to set up an interview with the district manager?

Hello in Salt Lake City, Utah

97 months ago

I applied online and took the personality questionaire. Then I was called in and went in for an interview with the recruiter, took the test first then did the interview. If you do not pass the test, then you are not considered eligible for the job. The test is very simple, only 10-12 questions. They are pattern questions, very similar to the SAT but easier if you ask me. The last two questions were analogies exactly like in the SAT. I took the GRE for graduate school and did well, so this test was a piece of cake for me, but honestly, do not worry about it. It will be fine. Then I was called in for an interview with the branch manager that same day (friday). On Monday, I went in for an interview with another corporate manager. Chase is a great company! It is the number 2 bank in the country after Bank of America. They offer great perks too. You make a starting salary of 28-32k, and can make up to 40k in commissions if you are really good. Most bankers get 10-20k in commissions. Honestly, it's a great job, especially in communities where the level of income is low. I just moved from California and 30k would never have been enough there, but here in Utah, that kind of money is great! Luckily I am bilingual, so I hope that helps in getting hired. I am just waiting for their offer, but of course I'll say yes.

FYI, I also applied for Wells Fargo, and their personal bankers really are just flies on the wall that sell checking accounts. They start you off with 28k and their bonus structure sucks! I think you top off at 34-35 if you make max bonus. I think they have a more aggressive sales motto too. If you're not doing great by 6 months- a year, you're out. Chase expects you to get it within the same time frame, but they give you great training and make you become licensed during the first month of two.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hello in Salt Lake City, Utah

97 months ago

Diane!

do not give up your position! personal bankers make on average 12k and being an underwriter will get you much more money. whatever money they counteroffered you, you should take it. especially because you will loose money that first year. you will make the 32,000 plus whatever commission you can get. only the top bankers make 70k, and i think that it the max you can get, but it takes years to get there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

San Antonio Personal Banker in San Antonio, Texas

97 months ago

I am a personal banker with JPMChase. The initial is exam is an indicator of whether you would pass the NASD 6 and 63 exams not an indicator of how good you are as sales person. If you can't get licensed then you can't be a Personal Banker.

I have been on the job since February (not counting the two months spent getting licensed since I passed all the tests on the first attempt) and I 'm loving it. Every banker here starts at 32k (yuk) however I see no reason as to why I would make any less than 60k just by seeing the way things are going although my personal goal is higher than that. I do confess that I am in an affluent area and the city in general keeps growing and I would probably not be making these incentives so quickly if I was in a less affluent part of town.

The horror stories about sales tactics posted above are so hard for me to believe. Chase does have a "work the lobby" sales system but it is not "predatory" by any means. I am NOT an agressive sales person, I don't even feel like a sales person!!! I never had a sales job before (I am a young guy in my early 20s) Working the lobby is just about talking to your customers and uncovering needs. I would NEVER sell anyone something they did not need! I would not be doing my job as Personal Banker if I was advising my clients to do something that is not in their best interest.

If you are trying to get someone to get a second mortgage to buy playstation then you do not need to be a banker at Chase and it is no wonder you are pursuing opportunities elsewhere. Another thing I can say about Chase is the advancement opportunities are great, at least in my market. Eventhough I can see I will be a succesful banker I don't want to stay one for much longer than a year when there is so much more opportunity outhere. Whether I stay with Chase or not (which I want to stay and go to their investment bank overseas) if I decide to leave at least I will take my NASD registrations with me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

danne in Willow Springs, Illinois

97 months ago

I'm sooo glad to finally hear from someone who likes the job. I personally believe that those who complain and son't like it are just not great sales men, because everyone I know who has this position that is a sales man says this is a real cushy easy job! I am going to take it if I get the offer...which should be in a couple days.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

danne in Willow Springs, Illinois

97 months ago

Hi Danne,

I have not heard back from my recruiter yet. How long after meeting with the branch manager did the recruiter get back to you to set up an interview with the district manager?

Blue, The way that my experience has gone is
1. Took the test
2. Had interview with recruiter and then immediately with branch manager and sales manager at the branch
3. took 3 days for recruiter to call me back to schedule the district manager interview (but I did call her twice during the waiting period)
4. met with the District manager yesterday morning and I should hear something about the job in a few days....

I believe I got the job... I am claiming it for myself. This was the last interview that I had to do before I get the offer. I hope that helps you Blue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

WCS in Appleton, Wisconsin

97 months ago

To: PB in San Antonio

Nice to hear some positive feedback.

I am scheduled to take the assessment test this Friday. From the way it sounds math and personality are the two sections you are tested on. For the math section do you happen to remember approximately how many questions there are? If so, do you know how many you are allowed to get wrong?

Thanks for the help!

blue in Irving, Texas

97 months ago

There are 9 or 10 math/logical questions. I am not sure how many you can get wrong though.

97 months ago

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

97 months ago

There are 10 math questions and they are supposed to all have CORRECT answers so take your time and arrive at thge correct answers because you are not entitled to get wrong answers. Best of luck. Rest of the test is all personality so think SALES when answering.

97 months ago

Simply put the crux of the matter is:

Great Commissions corrupt great Bankers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

Right away. The next day to be interviewed the next day!

97 months ago

Wow. So even if I get one single question wrong I cannot interview for a PB position. Seems odd that if I got one question wrong the next thing you know that means I am not capable of passng the 6&63 test. Interesting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

I have heard that they are SAT/ACT style for the math questions. I am not a math wiz by any means but would consider myself above average. The way it sounds if I just take my time and write it out(they sound wordy)I should be ok. Now that I know that you have to get a perfect score there is always that fear of one or two of them really stumping a person.
Thanks for the help and feedback in your past replies regarding the test.

danne in Dallas, Texas

97 months ago

Blue!!! I too did not get the job with chase and am looking to interview with another district manager in the area. Wish me luck Blue. How did your meeting go with the second district manager that you interviewed with? It was very dissapointing to get work of this, but I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles....... I am going to keep on trying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

xixi in Brooklyn, New York

97 months ago

I will have the assessment test tomorrow. Can anyone give an example of the math question and the 2nd part of the test in the assessment test?

ken in Brooklyn, New York

97 months ago

What is the number 195 stand for?
I don't understand the question, does it mean the number of the reports one needs to order? that doesn't make sense.

One question for example had the following percentages that indicate accuracy on reports:

97, 98, 96, 96, 97, 98, 96, 96

If you had to order the next reports and you needed exactly 195. How many reports should you order?

a) 201
b) 189
d) 195
e) 203

97 months ago

I have it tomorrow as well and from the help of some others (re: the above comments) it sounds like the math will be ACT/SAT style...maybe wordy type problems where you have to use some logic and also percentages. The second half which is the personality test just put yourself in your natural sales state of mind the way it sounds and you will be fine. Good luck!

97 months ago

Wouldnt the answer be 2? If you go by the number series/pattern the next two numbers would be 97 and 98. If you add those two together it is 195. So the actual # of reports would be 2. i dont know. i am not a math wiz but that is what i came up with.

ken in Brooklyn, New York

97 months ago

What is the number 195 stand for?
I don't understand the question, does it mean the number of the reports one needs to order? that doesn't make sense.

One question for example had the following percentages that indicate accuracy on reports:

If you had to order the next reports and you needed exactly 195. How many reports should you order?

a) 201
b) 189
d) 195
e) 203

97 months ago

I am thinking the person that originally posted that meant to put something like...what would be the next two numbers in the number series. if you look there is a pattern...kind of like 2,4,6...what would be the next number. the number would be 8. dont worry. it didnt make sense to me either but i knew what they were getting at. i wasnt worried and i know i will do well until i heard that you have to get a perfect score and i am already hoping that if i get stumped on one that my guess is a good one!

MP02 in Elgin, Illinois

97 months ago

No, it is exactly right. If you guys are going to miss that, you are going to fail the test. You don't add the reports together. The series of numbers are PERCENTAGES of how accurate each set of reports are.

There is a pattern.

Break it down:

97, 98, 96, 96
97, 98, 96, 96

So whats next? 97% Why? Because the pattern starts over after 96 with 97 then 98 and so on.

If you need exactly 195 reports and you're next batch that need to order will be 97% accurate then you take 195/97% (.97) = 201. You need to order 201 reports next time around to have 195 perfect reports. Check your answer. Take 201 reports order multiply that by 97% (.97) and it equals 195 perfect reports. This are the type of questions you will get along with other pattern questions. READ the ENTIRE question and understand what the problem is. If you're still not understanding then give up.. you're going to fail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

Yep. You're right. Gotta take your time on these. I knew what the pattern was but wasn't exactly sure what the question was asking at first but after looking at it again it made sense. Just have to make sure to write out the keywords.

Thanks!

xixi in Brooklyn, New York

97 months ago

it's such a simple problem, but the question is not clear enough. If they say" you needed exactly 195 accurate reports", that I will be able to figure out immediately.

97 months ago

You do not HAVE to GET a perfect score but you always aim for one. Don't you?That is why they tell you in the begining that all ten questions have CORRECT answers so you may not have any doubt! Best of luck.

97 months ago

Of course you always aim for a perfect score but once in a great while in life you get or do something wrong so I was just wondering before going in. Thanks for the feedback.

97 months ago

xixi in Brooklyn, New York said: it's such a simple problem, but the question is not clear enough. If they say" you needed exactly 195 accurate reports", that I will be able to figure out immediately.

I agree. The word "accurate" for 195 clears it up a lot.

97 months ago

Ajay Jain in Garland, Texas said: You do not HAVE to GET a perfect score but you always aim for one. Don't you?That is why they tell you in the begining that all ten questions have CORRECT answers so you may not have any doubt! Best of luck.

Ajay...when you said the following that made me think that you had to get 10 out of 10. Just wanted to clear that up. Thanks.:

you are not entitled to get wrong answers

jd in North Ridgeville, Ohio

97 months ago

do not work for chase! that is friendly advice- if you do decide to work for chase, you will soon see why i warned you not to...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

in Irving, Texas said: Okay first off, that math question in this thread is not an actual question on the test. It is *similar*. The real question does not contain whole numbers in the word problem - the numbers are in decimal form. However each of the answers you have to choose from are whole numbers. I honestly don't think that you have to get all of the answers on the math part correct. I would be surprised if I had made a perfect score because I was iffy about a few of my answers. I think you probably have to get a majority of the answers correct. Some of you guys seem to be stressing too much over that section. Like people have said before, just take your time and use the scratch paper they give you. Spend as long as you need on each question. Also, please take your time on the personality section. Don't just fly through the questions on that section - put some thought into your answers and make sure you keep *sales* in mind. After all, when it comes down to it the PB job is a sales job.

Danne, that's too bad that you didn't get the job the first time around. I know how you feel. I have not set up the interview with the district manager yet as the recruiter and I seem to be playing a little phone tag right now. Hopefully I will find out something soon.

Thanks for your positive feedback. It was helpful. Yeah, its just a math test not the bar exam.

Good luck to everyone.

97 months ago

jd in North Ridgeville, Ohio said: do not work for chase! that is friendly advice- if you do decide to work for chase, you will soon see why i warned you not to...

Thanks for the warning but any larger place is going to have its pros and cons and the cons you just haave to somehow deal with. I have worked for two national companies and know what it's like to work for a place where you are somewhat of a # but I also know 2 people that work for Chase. A friend and an Aunt who has been with Chase for 20 years and worked her way from Teller to Branch Mgr and loves it. Its just what you make of it like any job...especially with larger organizations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Diane in Dallas, Texas

97 months ago

Hi everyone, just a quick heads up on my experience. I was offered the job in a very ritzy area and I had accepted the offer. They called to make sure I put in my notice in at work and the next week I received a phone call telling me I will now most likely be working out of a different branch. The one they are offering me now is in a less desirable part of town and would really effect sales/commissions. Thankfully, my current job countered prior to this and I decided to stay where I am.

If you are accepting the PB position, beware of the bait and switch they pulled with me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Diane in Dallas, Texas

97 months ago

I thought this forum was to help people and have an open discussion, not insult people? People tend to take advice better from a sane, logical source not a disgruntled employee. Just a thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

I am not saying it is a "great" place to work because I have never worked there. I have worked for other large companies and smaller companies and there are pros and cons to both sizes. I am just curious as to why the people that HAVE worked at Chase in the past and no longer are employed by them even take the time and effort to go onto a job/message board for Chase? Fine if you really want to help possible future employees I guess by I can't imagine dwelling in the past about one of my old jobs to be whether it is good or bad. Unless this is a hobby of course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

jd in North Ridgeville, Ohio said: San Antonio Banker, o my o my o my. started in february did you? well don't you worry, the honeymoon is about to wear off my dear. why is it that the only positive postings are largely from people who have either been at chase for a very very very short time, or people who have NEVER worked there at all (Danne)? listen, i've had several years experience there, and it is terrible. it ages you, compromises your integrity, and makes you sacrifice your own life's well being. it is laughable that you say that 'your market' looks like it has great advancement oppotunity san anton bnkr. you wouldn't have the slightest effing clue, you haven't been there long enough to really know any of the important stuff. and danne, thank your lucky stars that you got turned down for the pb job. oh and in response to your comment about the 'negative posters' being bad salespeople, don't speak out of your league sweetypie, k? i was a national achiever with chase (something you never would have achieved even if you did ever get that pathetic job you were turned down for yet you are still clawing to try and get). i left there for a much much much beter job with a much much much much better company in a better industry. oh and finally, i almost forgot- san anton 'baker'- you "wouldn't ever sell anybody something they don't need?" well then you are in for a short stint at chase. better call your old manager at burger king back and see if they still need a drive thru scumbag.

Scumbag? have you ever even met or talked to the guy in San Antonio? So what if he likes his job and is giving it a chance with a positive attitude.

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas

97 months ago

b in Irving, Texas said: Will the administrator please remove my email address in the prior comment? I accidentally put it the wrong place in my comment. Thanks!
I can't change your screen name, but I can delete the comment. If you want to save the text first so you can repost then let me know when to delete it. Thanks!

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas

97 months ago

Diane in Dallas, Texas said: I thought this forum was to help people and have an open discussion, not insult people? People tend to take advice better from a sane, logical source not a disgruntled employee. Just a thought.
I agree! Please let us know about these kind of disruptions in the future by clicking "report abuse". Thanks for keeping things positive.

b in Irving, Texas

97 months ago

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas said: I can't change your screen name, but I can delete the comment. If you want to save the text first so you can repost then let me know when to delete it.
Thanks!

Hi, you can delete my comment and I will repost it. Thanks!

b in Irving, Texas

97 months ago

I guess you will have to edit where people quoted me that have my email included in them too. Hope it isn't too much of an inconvenience! Thank you!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.