What's the company culture at Jacobs?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Jacobs?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Jacobs?

Reply - Report abuse

Jacobs employee in Los Angeles, California

95 months ago

Very bad culture....If you are in the field you are screwed.....
Cos then ur just a multiplier.....for them...they will keep u in that position forever..Its a white company with No forward movement..POOR salaries...no more...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jacobs employee in Los Angeles, California

95 months ago

Oh my Lord... DO you really want to get a Job at this White Boy Company.
You can get in....Cant move up....no matter how good you are.
If you are in the field ...Forget about raises and promotions...
You will see your boss once in a year....when he Hires you !
This company will Promise a lot....but deliever nothing....
I am a Project Engineer....promised a lot of different opportunities with hiring...but good luck...with trying to diversify or get on another project...
Pretty bad Health insurance...you have to shell out 200 a month if you are single...and 400 a month if you have a spouse...
Vacations start acrruing only after 6 months of service...
By the way...this is how you get your raisess.....
JFI gets approximatley 200,000 for a staff of 300 people..so they divide it evenly ...it is not performance based...
So though they have grown a lot...They do not take care of their employeess....They are just like a Car salesman...DO NOT Join them..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hospital CM in Los Angeles, California

95 months ago

I left this company because they dont pay attention to you as an individal. I worked with great people on a hospital project.Jacobs has grown to a 8 billion USD company but it is ruled by few. It is very hard to Change projects. It is definatley a Beauracratic Organization.
Try someone else like Parsons, URS, Bechtel etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

George Hron in Los Angeles, California

95 months ago

Jacobs does not value its people, i am sorry to say but the VP's do not know who is doing what. It has grown too big for its own good. Everthing here is based on your billability. The Cypress JFI is totally out of whack. The VP's have no clue what is going on in the field. It is only a FEEL GOOD company.Try others JFI is poor i am leaving for Parsons who is giving me a good salary. Do not recommend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dee Dee in Baltimore, Maryland

94 months ago

Appreciated reading the comments because they're always advertising, and appear to be discriminatory in contacting diverse candidates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

tom clawson in Murrysville, Pennsylvania

92 months ago

dead end job...I worked for them!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kenneth Rosenlund in Longwood, Florida

82 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Jacobs?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Jacobs?

In Florida it is business casual no tie, but no jeans.

You do need dress the code of the customer for Jacobs in Orlando is at customer location.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Any stories of age descrimination?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anti-jacobs in Baltimore, Maryland

68 months ago

I worked for Jacobs as a contractor. They hired me for a lab job, but put me in an administrative job that I was not comfortable with. I was fired two hours after I talked to HR about possibly having a high risk pregnancy (I'm 4 months pregnant). They do not train you properly and expect you to do your job perfectly! My husband has worked there for over 6 years and was hurt on the job. Jacobs has fought him for 8 months over the workman's comp and we have drained our savings and ran up our credit cards and now, I'm unemployed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Former employee in Houston, Texas

28 months ago

This is the most unprofessional, inequitable, discriminating, Good Ole Boys company you will find. They have their heads up their a$$es when it comes to their saying "People are our greatest asset" - YEAH RIGHT. They do not enforce their policies equitably - what one gets persecuted for, 10 more who do the same thing are never reprimanded for anything. They will assign you to a position, then give you NO work to do, and THEN.... ACCUSE YOU OF NOT DOING YOUR JOB!!!! They can not be trusted, and HR is a JOKE. RUN - DON'T WALK - AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Engineer in Houston, Texas

17 months ago

It is a company where I felt in the third world. Low ethics. Forget to improve your skills ion your field, just learn how to master office politics and do your effort to get into the inner circle of the dept. manager. If you want to become a mediocre professional go in here. Very unpleasant experience from the professional point of view.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

This company was the worse experience in my entire career. No only the huge damage caused to me and my family it was professional humilliating experience, humiliated by a team of a couple of incompetent managers and other sheeps covering their butts. I was laid off because lack of work and inmediately place another engineer in my place. Unless you do not have another option do not work for this factory of engineering aka known af a engineering sweatshop. Very frustating experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Jacobs:
First let’s come to an agreement on the relationship of contractor, and employee. It cannot be anything but defined as you work, you get paid for what you are going at your contracted wage as long as that opportunity is open. Now let’s season that with the spice of reality. Working for the government (extremely highly dysfunctional people) or a private contract you cannot avoid the hard fact is you will not be treated as a valued employee or a shareholder. IT IS NOTHING MORE THAN A JOB, YOU GET PAID FOR EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO. You will not get a trophy at the end of each game, you will more than likely only get the least recognition of a job well done, you are not special just functional more importantly you will be exploited. Having put all of that in place. Your bosses will still be egotists and selfishly skimming your achievements as being their own while stunting financial advancement or rewards are stunted by budgetary constraints. Is the reel slime the government you know the answer to that, maybe you may not be able to admit to it?
When I was contracting the Government employees were in class all day to learn the profession that you were brought in to perform. After you set up the process and even mentored the public sector worker you get the door. Is this fair, no and yes. The no is you were misused as a human the yes is, you had a job so stop lusting for what you will not have, a permanent position, you won’t see that working for Jacobs or any other contractor.

15 months ago

Kenneth I think that industrial relations between employer and employee are much more complex than the linear thinking your are exposing. For instance I think that the way how Jacobs manage those industrial relations is very stinky. Just using my freedom of speech as an advert to others do not work in such unethical company.

15 months ago

Your point is interesting but does not respond to the hypothesis. Consider the fact that your work should never define who you are. Linear thinking is not what is being discussed and has not reel standing in the conversation. Cognitive understanding of the principle is the subject of endeavor. I am not sure if I can prescribe to industrial relations as a valued contributor to ROI. Jacobs managers are nothing more than the arms or legs that parrot the movement of the objective to the prime. I have heard it called as the Arm and Back of the effort. Their job has been nothing more than interface customer/company. You may want to look deeper to your relationship of you and your employer not the what they do for you, but what you do for them for pay. Very little is reel in a liberal work world as well as very little is accomplished when the primary objective is feelings. To use your word industrial relations is very stinky I am not sure if I understand what you are saying. Given the liberty of interpretation without sufficient foundation I can only assume that there must be some value to this title that may be interpreted like trail boss, foreman, team leader or manager. Human Resources or industrial relations as I have experienced in my work environment have almost always been tasked to the keeping the kids from messing up the sand box. They are part of the overhead of doing business, they are the fire extinguisher that keeps the temperature below the flash point. Do I think Jacobs managers are competent. Some are but most are not. Even with places of employment that have fair or unfair or even challenging environments is not the nexus of my comments. The point restated is that commerce is only successful when efforts (labor or material) is an integral part of the contribution to the ROI.
Oh I am replying with using my freedom of speech but remember each freedom has its costs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Anger does not resolve dispute. Walking away knowing your dignity is intact is one of the answers. As I say it is only one of many. Your answers come from within.

14 months ago

You are right, the ROI is the most therein even above of your dignity. One has to think on this to work for that company, so one has to estimate the wage (i.e the employee's ROI) depending on how much is his dignity when considering on taking a position there.

14 months ago

Question Kenneth?, additional to the fact I pay taxes, is there any cost on using my civil rights?

Kenneth Rosenlund in Youngsville, North Carolina

14 months ago

I have no opinion on your question. I feel that your question seems self-evident. We do pay for our rights of speech and freedom. Not always by money though. Arlington cemetery is full of people who have paid the ultimate price. Only you can see if you need or should pay.

I as you pay my taxes and have for over 50 years in the work force. I am not happy to pay for the Moocher class who don’t get out and work. This administration feels that not everyone has to work and to that I can only say Get Reel.

But I digress and come back to how does that come back to working at Jacobs.

KVR

Kenneth Rosenlund in Youngsville, North Carolina

14 months ago

You are spot on. This is the same with any company. We no longer a fair work world, it still is dog eat dog and alas we do not have the luxury of those who work for themselves, though I have done that and it is not the bed of roses that is painted by Hollywood. Leverage is all over in private weather working for a company or our self. We all work under fear and are leveraged by those with the edge. It stinks yes, but being the only game in town we can see have two choices, live with it and suck it up, or quite. This brings us back to the basic fact jack. No one is going to feed us and pay our bill if we want to live a life that we can be proud of. So as men we have no other choice but walk on off to jobs we may hate and get beat on by bullies, or discover that our situation is sanctioned by the milieu that we allow ourselves to be cast into. It took retirement to help open up the door of the prisons that I had lived in. Good Luck with that.

Employee in Houston, Texas

12 months ago

Worse company to work with. It is unbelievable the lack of profesionalism in this company. Consider this employment option as the last one.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.