Interviewing and Hire time frames

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Billy in New Hyde Park, New York

92 months ago

How long does it typically take J and J to hire you if they are interested from the time you interview. I am going in next week and hoping for the best.

I know it varies from place to place but just wondering what the typical time is there.

Also, are the salaries good...meaning will they at least beat my current compensation by a bit or am I going to have to negotiate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

being honest in Montclair, New Jersey

92 months ago

J&J will post lots of jobs and the jobs are not really available. Many of them have been filled with inside employees. Also, note how J&J will have you fill out detailed essay type questions for about 95% of their positions. Do people really have hours to spend formulating essays????? The salaries at J&J are average and at times below average because they are J&J.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Billy in Hauppauge, New York

92 months ago

Good to know. I should look at it positively that they are even letting me come in for an interview. I guess if they are interested in will turn into a waiting game!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

blogMeTender in Hayward, California

92 months ago

In terms of making more than you're currently making, I've never found it effective to tell an employer of any kind large or small what I'm making. A place like J&J definitely has its bureaucracy in place, and that means it has salary ranges predetermined for a position.

The notion of an employer pressing you for your current earnings is a brilliant disguise for laziness. It means they want the previous company to do their homework. It's really imperative for both candidate and employer to focus exclusively on the current opportunity. What do you bring to them, and how is that expressed in terms of the current job market salarywise? Then what is their range for the position, and how does it compare marketwise? Also, what about other forms of compensation, like benefits, stock options, bonuses, etc.

One other thing. It has been said that it is better to have worked for a big company than to work for a big company. At the very least, you'll get the prestige of a big name like J&J to punch on your resume "ticket" for future positions.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Billy in New Hyde Park, New York

92 months ago

Good points. I guess they must have a predetermined salary range...just hopefully IF I get an offer it won't be a lateral move.

I have friends that work there, they say stock options are pretty much nonexistent when it comes to an offer. Maybe a sign on bonus.

Well, I guess I have to weigh things out. for all I know they could come at me with a great interview, then never make an offer...or even make an offer WAYYY down the line. Like I said, I am really not sure what typical turn around time is if they decide to extend an offer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.