The Overall Working Conditions @ JnJ

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

jat in Canton, Michigan

87 months ago

It seems everyone is really bashing JnJ. My husband is being flown to Memphis for an interview this week. Does anyone have anything nice to say about JnJ? Should we consider staying where we are now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Former J&J Memphis in Memphis, Tennessee

86 months ago

Tell your husband to stay far away from the Memphis J&J site. The site manager is crazy and the site is the most dysfunctional place I have ever seen. They
hit 500% turnover in just over 3 years. No one who has an option stays there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tell it like it is in Penfield, New York

86 months ago

If you want your husband to come home frustrated and depressed, feeling like anything he does will never be good enough to get ahead with this company... Then purse it.. The job I found this post site with is my old job and the posters here are telling it like it is, They might as well shred their precious CREDO because the company has become so dilute with other organizations and managements So many young managers from the "Me" generation, that the CREDO setup by General Johnson is now one big sheild that the corporation can hide behind. I consistanly brought up issues concerning FDA violations, Cgmp policies, and OSHA violations... Still managed to hang onto my job until at a supposed confidential meeting regarding "THE CREDO" I bought up UNION REPRESENTATION as a way to improve the working conditions and the relationship with HR, 3 weeks later I was suspended for one week due to time reporting issues and then terminated the following week. Funny how that worked out since my coworker had been warned repeatedly for years about attendance issues is still working there and I had never recieve a warning about attendance or time reporting (a case can be built against anyone). This company does not care about the employee... I held a position in a lab and was given a chance on a 1 yr. assignment as a scheduler before the year was up they filled my old job forcing me to stay in scheduling. Then moved into bio-formulation, While there a Teamleaders position opened up once there found out they considered it a lateral move and recieved no compensation for taking on the responsiblility of 16 - 20 people at the time. Back to formulation... Made a Tech II but my wages overlapped so there was no increase for the promotion after 19yrs. 6month and 25 days they fired me ... for attendance reporting problems ... 3 weeks after I said UNION REPRESENTATION

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

tell it like it is in Penfield, New York

86 months ago

It's like I said so much for their precious "Credo" this is how the management of this company operates now the "Credo" is meaningless. Now JnJ wants to sue the AMERICAN RED CROSS!! A multi-billion dollar company trying to take away a way to raise money for people who are in need, All because of a symbol of a red cross? the credo will not all fit here I paste as much as I can the full version can be found at JnJ.com We believe our first responsibility is to the doctors, nurses, and patients, to mothers and fathers and all others who use our products and services. In meeting their needs everything we do must be of high quality. We must constantly strive to reduce our costs in order to maintain reasonable prices. Customers' orders must be serviced promptly and accurately. Our suppliers and distributors must have an opportunity to make a fair profit.

We are responsible to our employees, the men and women who work with us throughout the world. Everyone must be considered as an individual. We must respect their dignity and recognize their merit. They must have a sense of security in their jobs. Compensation must be fair and adequate,
and working conditions clean, orderly and safe.
We must be mindful of ways to help our employees fulfill
their family responsibilities. Employees must feel free to make suggestions and complaints. There must be equal opportunity for employment, development and advancement for those qualified. We must provide competent management,
and their actions must be just and ethical.

We are responsible to the communities in which we live and work and to the world community as well.
We must be good citizens - support good works and charities
and bear our fair share of taxes. We must encourage civic improvements and better health and education. We must maintain in good order the property we are privileged to use,
protecting the environment and natural resources.

Our final responsibility is to our stockholders.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

THE NEW J&J CREDO in Cheltenham, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

We believe our first responsibility is to give high paying jobs to our friends and relatives regardless of their qualifications, knowledge or experience. In meeting their needs everything we do must be to make certain that they acquire their beachfront condo and their new hybrid vehicle.We must constantly strive to reduce our costs by hiring temporary employees to do all of the work that our highly paid friends and relatives are unable to do in order to maintain reasonable prices for our clients. Being related and connected gives them a sense of security in their jobs. Compensation must be high to friends and relatives and lower for the non-related, non-connected and temporary employees who are made to do all of the work.
We must be mindful of ways to help our friends and relatives fulfill
their family responsibilities. Related and connected employees must feel free to make suggestions and complaints about those working in the company who are not connected or related. We must hire and provide competent management who we find at the country club, and their actions for hiring all of their friends and relatives must be just and ethical. We are responsible to the communities in which we live and work and to the world community as well. That is why it is in our best interest to sue the American Red Cross.
We must be good citizens - support good works and charities so that we can receive large tax deductions so that we can award larger bonuses to our friends and relatives.
We must maintain in good order the property we are privileged to use, so we hire temporary agencies to clean up the messes sustained after each office party banquet.
Our final responsibility is to our stockholders, so bail out now while you can because we are going to lose our patents and our stock values wont be worth a nickel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

MisterEd in Wellesley, Massachusetts

86 months ago

Good advice! Whatever you do, do not move there. Your husband will being trying to get out of there in 2008. Everything what people have reported above is all true. You can be a total dolt and show up 2 hours late every morning but if you are friends with the right people, it's ok.
Stay away from Raynham! This company is crumbling and should go under by 2010.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jack in Las Vegas, Nevada

86 months ago

jat in Canton, Michigan said: It seems everyone is really bashing JnJ. My husband is being flown to Memphis for an interview this week. Does anyone have anything nice to say about JnJ? Should we consider staying where we are now?

They Flow me to Phili and was interviewed by 5 for a Director level. Never bothered to give me a YES or NO for weeks. I pushed for an answer, their HR responded <they hardly even communicate with us>. I said JnJ better shove their job up their managements ass.

DjP in Portland, Oregon

86 months ago

jat in Canton, Michigan said: It seems everyone is really bashing JnJ. My husband is being flown to Memphis for an interview this week. Does anyone have anything nice to say about JnJ? Should we consider staying where we are now?

I worked for a division of J&J, and all the negative comments are correct. The Credo is a joke, they care nothing for family, and will lie as needed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dn32844 in Broomfield, Colorado

86 months ago

Flying someone in for interview means nothing, every company does it. They did with me on couple of occasions; all went great to the point of decision making. Never happened, apparently those occupying decision making positions have no capability or desire to come up with a simple YES or NO for weeks and when applicant pushes, he/she receives a generic response. JnJ is a great company run by a bunch of incapable individuals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

tell it like it is in Fairport, New York

85 months ago

Kudo's to everyone brave enough to speak up!! With everything I read here it seems like JnJ operates the same all over not just here in Rochester N.Y. (Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics). Since they (JnJ) make such a big deal over their commitment to the "Credo" I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a Class action that should be pursued. After all they can't hang their hat so heavily on the "Credo" and then not live up to their own philosophy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

James Free in Marlborough, Massachusetts

85 months ago

DjP in Portland, Oregon said: I worked for a division of J&J, and all the negative comments are correct. The Credo is a joke, they care nothing for family, and will lie as needed.

I can't believe it's like this all over the country! I thought all the "good ole boys" were here in Mass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robyn in Walnut Creek, California

85 months ago

LifeScan in Milpitas is totally dysfunctional. I worked there for 1 month and found it unbearable. Micro-managing bosses, redundant and complex processes, poor morale, finger-pointing, empire-building, to name just a few. Nice campus and good pay, but most of the jobs are temp, so no benefits. if you temp there you can't be converted to employee status unless you leave for 6 months! Consider that before taking a temp job anywhere in J&J.

Robyn in Walnut Creek, California

85 months ago

Also agree that the Credo is just something they put on the wall for decoration. they don't follow it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

abc in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

An aquaintance's father works at the Horsham, PA facility and he loves his job. He was laid off from his previous company and was concerned about finding another position at his "age", but J&J was as happy to find him as he was them. Good pay, benefits, and work environment. I believe he is in management for the manufacturing/packaging division there.

It is such as large company with many, many, divisions or "company families", so I don't think a blanket statement applies.

I had an interview in NJ once. The people were very nice and seemed happy there. The campus was lovely with a day care center there too and they even gave me two souvenirs which were pretty cool.

They promptly responded to my application and sent an email week after my interview that they had chosen someone else. I don't think you could ask for more than that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

tell it like it is in Fairport, New York

85 months ago

It's not that this company dosen't have benefits, the fact of the matter is what its like to work there. Poor management, repetitive manual work (where automation would be more appropriate) FDA regulations sidestepped (whenever the FDA comes in they stall and clean up paperwork and areas) OSHA regulations ignored (always and excuse of changes in process the changes are rarely made) Your asked to go above and beyond take on projects and once a project is ready to implement the funding drys up or some other internal regulatory group isn't willing to approve it, Therefore alot of things are done behind JnJ's internal regulatory groups back. Alot of internal conflict between coworkers (its actually encouraged or stirred up by supervision) to keep coworkers from getting too close to one another. It could be a good company... probably once was... but is no longer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

unknown in Denver, Colorado

85 months ago

Please, Please tell your husband to run for the hills!!!! He will eventually find a job that will better suit him in the long term!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jack in Denver, Colorado

85 months ago

All FDA regulated companies are mismanaged, deficient and ethically corrupt just due to lack of qualified leadership. JnJ is not alone in this mess, look at GE Health, Medtronic etc. They make 1000+% profits out of their products just because we need those products to remedy our pains. And our government is nothing but their servant as is servant of Oil companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Scott Scott in Cincinnati, Ohio

85 months ago

Very tired of working so hard for the company. Very tired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Quite Capable in Horsham, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

The credo is something that is believed so blindly! Do not feel you can believe it either. This passage regarding employees:
"We are responsible to our employees, the men and women who work with us throughout the world. Everyone must be considered as an individual. We must respect their dignity and recognize their merit. They must have a sense of security in their jobs. Compensation must be fair and adequate,
and working conditions clean, orderly and safe.
We must be mindful of ways to help our employees fulfill
their family responsibilities. Employees must feel free to make suggestions and complaints. There must be equal opportunity for employment, development and advancement for those qualified." is so false and misleading. Speaking up will get you demoted or unemployed. Even making money saving suggestions will get you on the wrong side of management. Development and advancement is not equal, just if you are a chosen few and if you are liked. HR turns the other cheek if you happen to bring up issues detrimental to management. Recall, they are the first line to discuss matters beyond your supervisor. To compensate for all of this incompetence- the company benefits are good. Ask many employees and they will tell you, the stay for the benefits, certainly not most of the management!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Amen... This company is as crooked as they come,Fairness is not in their vocabulary. They have written policies that they pick and choose when and where to enforce them. With insecure managers all you have to do is ask questions and come up with ideas and you will be history. They will pick a policy out of their bung hole and bye bye.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dr. Douglas XXX

82 months ago

I keep hearing that a lot of the cancer we are seeing today can be traced directly back to the Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder our mothers sprinkled on us as infants. So here's the so-called most socially-responsive company in the world and they're the ones that have been killing everybody for years. Talcum powder induced malignancies, you are going to read about this in the future, I can guarantee it. The lawsuits will bankrupt this company. If this is indeed true, then the company has been killing for decades and deserves everything they get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Lens maker

82 months ago

I believe your comments are particular to the site you are working for. I work for Vistakon and we make the Acuvue contact lenses. I have been there for ten years. I took a job initially as a technician to get my foot in the door. I am now a manager. Vistakon goes out of their way to treat everyone fairly and equally. I do use the Credo to make daily decisions and I am not saying that to be a kiss A$$.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Lens maker said: I believe your comments are particular to the site you are working for. I work for Vistakon and we make the Acuvue contact lenses. I have been there for ten years. I took a job initially as a technician to get my foot in the door. I am now a manager. Vistakon goes out of their way to treat everyone fairly and equally. I do use the Credo to make daily decisions and I am not saying that to be a kiss A$$.

LMAO!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kjk in Eatontown, New Jersey

74 months ago

Actually, J&J sued the Red Cross because the Red Cross was licensing the symbol for profit:

"But in 2004, the American Red Cross began licensing the symbol to commercial partners selling products at retail establishments. According to the lawsuit, those products include humidifiers, medical examination gloves, nail clippers, combs and toothbrushes." “What we’re talking about here is their deviation from a longstanding partnership and collaboration around the use of this trademark and their push to commercialize this trademark in the for-profit arena,” Mr. Leebaw said. “We deeply regret that it has become necessary to file this complaint. The company has the highest regard for the American Red Cross and its mission.”-nyt.com, 8/9/2007

You have every right to be pissed, but you undermine everything you say when you supply emotionally charged rhetoric instead of facts.

By the way, I work at JnJ Corporate in HR and I love it there. The people that I work with care, and we challenge what doesn't make sense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shiloh97 in dayton, Ohio

74 months ago

DOes anyone have any feedback on DePuy Orthopaedics?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Laureena in Southampton, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

to the person who wrote about corp. HR, do you know Vicky Walker?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.