Johnson Controls Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

Host

It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Johnson Controls?

Any advice on striking the right note?

Reply - Report abuse

J. Lynell in Slinger, Wisconsin

81 months ago

Host said: It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Johnson Controls?

When interviewing with JCI, be sure to ask the expected hours per week and the expected travel. This is something not mentioned up front and by the time you are on the job you realize the expectation is you work 70 hours per week and travel 50% of the time and you quickly realize you are not paid enough, there is no consideration for family or personal well-being. If you don't believe me, see how many times JCI has ranked as a best place to work for anyone but engineers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

barrytate in Little Rock, Arkansas

81 months ago

Host said: It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Johnson Controls?

Drink Heavily bfore, during and after. JC has issues. All kidding aside, JC is a great company and I would reccommend them at any given opportunity. I was employed as JC employee some years ago when I should have been employed as a union dude but things didn't work out. Great place, get your requirements straight from the beginning and things will work for you. later, bear

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

barrytate in Little Rock, Arkansas

81 months ago

Drink Heavily bfore, during and after. JC has issues. All kidding aside, JC is a great company and I would reccommend them at any given opportunity. I was employed as JC employee some years ago when I should have been employed as a union dude but things didn't work out. Great place, get your requirements straight from the beginning and things will work for you. later, bear

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

JCI employee

80 months ago

JCI has been a great company to work for. You can work long hours but I do get paid overtime. The base pay is not as competitive as it should be.
I never had any problems with taking time off for family issues or personal time when I needed. It's all what you make of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lori from wis in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

80 months ago

J. Lynell in Slinger, Wisconsin said: When interviewing with JCI, be sure to ask the expected hours per week and the expected travel. This is something not mentioned up front and by the time you are on the job you realize the expectation is you work 70 hours per week and travel 50% of the time and you quickly realize you are not paid enough, there is no consideration for family or personal well-being. If you don't believe me, see how many times JCI has ranked as a best place to work for anyone but engineers.

What kind of work did you do with JCI?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

TTP in Aurora, Colorado

80 months ago

If you drink in any amount either at home or on the road with JCI,
be very careful they will hold it against you. Political obediance
is expected of you and at any time they will judge if you are or not.
If your judged as different or further advanced than your peers you will
be singled out and let go. Be careful of the management structure.( does
the term snakebite mean anything to you?)If you do not blend in with the
"good ol'boy" network that's reason enough for them to deem you as a political
subversive.
Advice on striking the right note........try your spoiled little rich kid
routine. As a matter of fact polish up ALL of your acting skills.....You'll
needto draw on all of them.
My advice to you is not to apply at JCI at all. Save yourself the pain
and suffering of humiliating yourself for your masters,working yourself to
death for little money and no recognition,and finally being terminated on some
political grounds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

AFL in Marlton, New Jersey

62 months ago

TTP in Aurora, Colorado said: If you drink in any amount either at home or on the road with JCI,
be very careful they will hold it against you. Political obediance
is expected of you and at any time they will judge if you are or not.
If your judged as different or further advanced than your peers you will
be singled out and let go. Be careful of the management structure.( does
the term snakebite mean anything to you?)If you do not blend in with the
"good ol'boy" network that's reason enough for them to deem you as a political
subversive.
Advice on striking the right note........try your spoiled little rich kid
routine. As a matter of fact polish up ALL of your acting skills.....You'll
needto draw on all of them.
My advice to you is not to apply at JCI at all. Save yourself the pain
and suffering of humiliating yourself for your masters,working yourself to
death for little money and no recognition,and finally being terminated on some
political grounds.

WOW! I think I just got laid off from the exact same company yet with a different name......good to have this info, because I would be the one getting laid off again, had I applied and been accepted at JC. THANK YOU for the honest opinion!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dubs da bunny in Denver, Colorado

61 months ago

This is very interesting - especially to someone in the position of possibly hiring JCI. The way they treat their employees and this inside look at their operations is certainly something to consider when weighing the pros and cons of a rosy sales pitch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

FBI09 in York, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

Don't bother applying to JCI. Not worth it. I worked long hours, and gave my all just to be laid off because I did not run around socializing. If you're not the "boss's pet" look out.

Their political games and "favorites" is like being in school again. Not professional at all. Look elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DANHA in Alachua, Florida

59 months ago

Johnson Controls is a very large company with many divisions and job descriptions. I work for the Fire and Security Division. I love my job. I work with many people that have been with JCI for 5,10, 20 and 25 years. They all still like their job. I have been with the company for 2 years now and still like the company and the way I am treated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

oO-SmartCookie-Oo in Michigan

55 months ago

J. Lynell in Slinger, Wisconsin said: When interviewing with JCI, be sure to ask the expected hours per week and the expected travel. This is something not mentioned up front and by the time you are on the job you realize the expectation is you work 70 hours per week and travel 50% of the time and you quickly realize you are not paid enough, there is no consideration for family or personal well-being. If you don't believe me, see how many times JCI has ranked as a best place to work for anyone but engineers.

TRUE TRUE TRUE - If you want a family life - FORGET IT!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rajukundara in Naperville, Illinois

55 months ago

callme an interview

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

musicman in Oak Creek, Wisconsin

21 months ago

I LOVE working for Johnson Controls! It's a big company, and like any company, it has it's issues. Overall, though, this company is going in a great direction and if you want to be, you can be part of something really great!

As for the interview, you'll get asked a lot of "behavior" questions like, "give me an example of a time when you..." - that kind of stuff. The interview process can be long, but it's a good company and worth it - just be patient. It's a company that is growing like mad, so there's a lot of great opportunity for development once you get in!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Just me

8 months ago

Any comments about working for JC battery group in Yuma AZ? Is there any health problems for working with batteries? Thanks,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.