What's the company culture at Jones Lang LaSalle?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Jones Lang LaSalle?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Jones Lang LaSalle?

Reply - Report abuse

Lo Zuckerman in San Francisco, California

74 months ago

I worked for a bit as an assistant in the San Francisco JLL office in 2006. I can tell you that the people there are not incredibly nice. Some women were straight out catty/condescending/stuck-up. They will not try to get to know you as a person at all. Maybe it was because I was a temp, I don't know.

There is also very little diversity. Out of the ~100 people in the SF office, maybe 10 of them are minorities. The demographics are surprising, especially since they're in the Bay Area.

Culture is pretty fast-paced. Office space is open (no offices, just cubicles with low partitions) so there is not much privacy. The people are also very cliquish. Like I said, I felt like many (not all) people were NOT genuinely nice.

Dress code is business casual. There is no casual Fridays and brokers are in suits all the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cecilia Garcia in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

The culture is terrible. It seem like there are two Jones Lang LaSalle’s, the one they tell good things about and the one you actually work for. They talk about ethics, but I guess it only applies to the hourly employees; it appears that the managers are exempt. I spent 11 years with this company and they have changed for the worse. The managers are so removed from the day-to-day activities that the have no idea what the employees are doing for the clients. Most of the upper management will not return phone call or emails, but demand that you are available 24/7. The managers are so bad that they rely on the few good employees to delegate all of their work to. And the earlier comment about cliques is so true that it impacts your bonus. The bonuses are pooled for each account, so the less people getting bonuses the more there is for upper management. Do yourself a favor and don’t work for Jones Lang LaSalle. They will literally work you to death. In my 11 years with the firm, I have not seen one retirement, but I’ve been to many funerals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No Reply - Report abuse

rkn in Boonton, New Jersey

60 months ago

Keep in mind that there are many fields in real estate such as brokerage (leasing and sales), real estate development, property management, and asset management (portfolios). I worked for the brokerage side at Jones Lang LaSalle. As with any real estate brokerage firm, it's a cut-throat environment because it's all about sales and how much revenue you can generate for the firm.

I have seen brokers work together on a large project for a client, and at the end of the project they fight over commission splits by pointing fingers and turning the conference room into a war zone. It wasn't pretty. But these scenes are rare, and people do learn from their mistakes. In other words, these two brokers won't be working together anymore in the future. In fact they don't even talk to each other in the office anymore.

Is brokerage for everyone? Not really. It certainly is designed for the lone-wolf who is capable of hunting his own meat. Of course, no one expects you to catch big fish as soon as you begin in the business. Usually they pair you up with a senior broker-mentor to learn the ropes first. Brokerage is less about teamwork and less about survival of the fittest. If you can't pull your own weight, no brokerage firm has any reason to keep you on board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rkn in Boonton, New Jersey

60 months ago

Typo on the last part:

Brokerage is less about teamwork and MORE about survival of the fittest. If you can't pull your own weight, no brokerage firm has any reason to keep you on board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.