Electrician Going to Texas (Houston) on the 9th feb - Any Information regarding on Iraq would be Much Appreciated

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 71)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Liam Pickburn in Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

79 months ago

Hello all 7just thought id leave a few concerns and hopefully people will put my mind at rest:

Im 21 years old from England :) Im unemployed, So I see this as an opportunity to make money aswell as experience.

Can Anybody as an electrician tell me what kind of work I will be doing?

I have been told to expect 120,000 a year. Is that correct?

What is R & R?

If you have any more info please tell me

Much appreciated, Liam

What is R

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

Liam Pickburn in Middlesbrough, United Kingdom said: Hello all 7just thought id leave a few concerns and hopefully people will put my mind at rest:

Im 21 years old from England :) Im unemployed, So I see this as an opportunity to make money aswell as experience.

Can Anybody as an electrician tell me what kind of work I will be doing?

I have been told to expect 120,000 a year. Is that correct?

What is R & R?

If you have any more info please tell me

Much appreciated, Liam

What is R

Hi Liam, If you go to www.indeed.com/cmp/kbr and scroll down to the Salaries and bonuses forum you will find all the answers that you need. It is very active with people going over, through processing and with wives that have hubbys over there. Good luck and hope to see you there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Thank You very much - You know anything about -F1A which is between Bagdad and the airport

Thats where Im going if I pass the processing..

thanks.

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

Liam Pickburn in Middlesbrough, United Kingdom said: Thank You very much - You know anything about -F1A which is between Bagdad and the airport

thanks.

That is Camp Victory/ Camp Liberty. You will go there for one weeks training before being assigned your camp.That is standard procedure for electricians.

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

Liam Pickburn in Middlesbrough, United Kingdom said: Thank You very much - You know anything about -F1A which is between Bagdad and the airport

thanks.

You shouldnt have a problem passing processing. They will screen out the drug users, diabetics and people that have high blood pressure must have medication.

79 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: You shouldnt have a problem passing processing. They will screen out the drug users, diabetics and people that have high blood pressure must have medication.

Cheers - Whats the training like? And as an electrician..
I know Iraq's a war zone but are we protected at all times?

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

Liam Pickburn in Middlesbrough, United Kingdom said: Cheers - Whats the training like? And as an electrician..
I know Iraq's a war zone but are we protected at all times?

Im an electricians wife. My hubby left for Iraq in November. You will never leave the base, so its pretty safe. The training is all about British Standards, grounding bonding. It will be a piece of cake for You !!

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

I hear things are getting bad in England, but is KBR advertised over there?. There have been a couple of English guys on the other forum, i think one just left and there is one from Birmingham trying to gat on as a truck driver.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

Are you licensed or going over as an apprentice? My hubby is a journeyman and he said the work is not hard. It takes a bit to get used to the long hours. Seven days a week, 12 hours a day.

79 months ago

ha ha I hope so, Im only 21 so dont have all the experience..

ive been offered 120,000 does that sound right?

I appreciate all the help thank you

79 months ago

Im qualified as an electrician here in England, But not approved, need two years to be approved so that will happen in september - Does 120,000 sound bad ?

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

A journeyman electrician makes 122,000 a year. Im not sur what the dollar rate is to the pound. Also 91,500 is taxfree provided you stay out of country for 33o days. I think any chunk of change is good with this economy.

TipperarySparks in Nenagh, Ireland

79 months ago

Liam Pickburn in Middlesbrough, United Kingdom said: Im qualified as an electrician here in England, But not approved, need two years to be approved so that will happen in september - Does 120,000 sound bad ?

it works out £83,000 a year tax free, KBR UK are only paying uk sparks £53,000 a year, so go for it, if you've got your IEE 16th or 17th Regs you will be ok, as switch said goto the main KBR forum and all your questions will be answered there

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

Dont forget to go to the other forum. They will tell you all about processing etc and you might meet someone going the same date as you. Ill watch out for you.

79 months ago

Thanks all you lot, been a great help and that forum you mentioned does help me :)

Ive been in touch with my recruiter and he said im getin paid at a journeymans rate at 122,000 - So whats above that? The 'master electrician'?

Can I take my lap top?

And what kind of clothing should I take? That brochure isnt that helpful..

79 months ago

Liam Pickburn in Middlesbrough, United Kingdom said: Thanks all you lot, been a great help and that forum you mentioned does help me :)

Ive been in touch with my recruiter and he said im getin paid at a journeymans rate at 122,000 - So whats above that? The 'master electrician'?

Can I take my lap top?

And what kind of clothing should I take? That brochure isnt that helpful..

master is 150,000 US$ roughly but you have to be a UK approved sparky to get that rate and only after you been there for a least a couple of months, did not take your laptop yet, until you've been there for at least a month, you can get it posted to you, a lot of lads get moved to different bases where they are not allowed.

remember its tax free, if you return to the uk this tax year 2009 on R&R you will have to pay tax on it, ie lose half or 60% to the tax man. look up the uk revenue site and see the in's and out's, you will be classed as a expat.

all clothing must be neutral and no camo gear allowed, including shorts the info pack has a recommend list which wont steer you to far wrong, you can always buy clothes when you get there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

TipperarySparks in Nenagh, Ireland said: master is 150,000 US$ roughly but you have to be a UK approved sparky to get that rate and only after you been there for a least a couple of months, did not take your laptop yet, until you've been there for at least a month, you can get it posted to you, a lot of lads get moved to different bases where they are not allowed.

remember its tax free, if you return to the uk this tax year 2009 on R&R you will have to pay tax on it, ie lose half or 60% to the tax man. look up the uk revenue site and see the in's and out's, you will be classed as a expat.

all clothing must be neutral and no camo gear allowed, including shorts the info pack has a recommend list which wont steer you to far wrong, you can always buy clothes when you get there.

Ahh right, I thought it was tax free even if you returned to the uk But no longer than 30 something days.
So If I go for four months and then decide Im sick of Iraq, I could come home and have to pay the tax man!

Well what happens If I just stay out there for a year and have the 'Mrs' come meet me In Dubai for My R and R it would be cheaper.

No matter where I work england or Iraq you still have to declare where your working for tax reasons so who sorts the tax out, Is it sorted by KBR or are we seen as self-employed so we sort out own tax etc out?

Cheers.

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

Liam Pickburn in Middlesbrough, United Kingdom said: Ahh right, I thought it was tax free even if you returned to the uk But no longer than 30 something days.
So If I go for four months and then decide Im sick of Iraq, I could come home and have to pay the tax man!

Well what happens If I just stay out there for a year and have the 'Mrs' come meet me In Dubai for My R and R it would be cheaper.

No matter where I work england or Iraq you still have to declare where your working for tax reasons so who sorts the tax out, Is it sorted by KBR or are we seen as self-employed so we sort out own tax etc out?

Cheers.

You are not seen as self employed. You work for SEI out of the Caymen islands !! I thought you would have the same restrictions when it comes to tax. Americans just have to stay out of country for 330 days im not sure on English tax rules.You could meet your Mrs in Europe,they will pay for your R&R ticket up to $840 from Dubai.

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

Its getting nippy over there, take your long johns !!

79 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: Its getting nippy over there, take your long johns !!

When you say from Dubai.. So what bout from Iraq to Dubai, Who pays that fair?

Just read a little there on Taxes and you have to pay like 'tipperary spark mentioned' So im going to give them a call tomoro and ask themm what percentage etc

Cheers!

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

Liam Pickburn in Middlesbrough, United Kingdom said: When you say from Dubai.. So what bout from Iraq to Dubai, Who pays that fair?

Just read a little there on Taxes and you have to pay like 'tipperary spark mentioned' So im going to give them a call tomoro and ask themm what percentage etc

Cheers!

The flight from Baghdad to Iraq is taken care of by the Military. You just need flights to and from Dubai. Dont think Dubai is very exciting for a vacation. Lots of undesirables there!!

79 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: The flight from Baghdad to Iraq is taken care of by the Military. You just need flights to and from Dubai. Dont think Dubai is very exciting for a vacation. Lots of undesirables there!!

You mean from baghdad and Iraq to Dubai are taken care of by the military, yes? 'cheers Switch'
I always though Dubai was the place to be, But expensive. Alot of brits go there on holiday.. what do you do switch??

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

Yes the flight from Baghdad to Iraq and the other way around when you come R&R... Im a stay at home mum. Hubby is at Camp Warrior in Iraq, he left 3 months ago. Gotta do what you can to bring the money in !!
Ive been in the States 18 years but originally im from, Burnham , Buckinghamshire near Windsor. Take care

79 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: Yes the flight from Baghdad to Iraq and the other way around when you come R&R... Im a stay at home mum. Hubby is at Camp Warrior in Iraq, he left 3 months ago. Gotta do what you can to bring the money in !!
Ive been in the States 18 years but originally im from, Burnham , Buckinghamshire near Windsor. Take care

Ahh right cheers for you help and hope he's doing great!!
What does your hubby do then? Do you hear from him much?
Cheers x

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: Yes the flight from Baghdad to Iraq and the other way around when you come R&R... Im a stay at home mum. Hubby is at Camp Warrior in Iraq, he left 3 months ago. Gotta do what you can to bring the money in !!

Gotta go, will check back later

79 months ago

Liam Pickburn in Middlesbrough, United Kingdom said: When you say from Dubai.. So what bout from Iraq to Dubai, Who pays that fair?

Cheers!

KBR will fly you to dubia, then from there anywhere in the world and KBR will pay the first $840 towards the flight on your return back to work i.e. you pay it first and claim it back later, i think how its work with KBR

as you said, ring the tax man tomorrow and explian your sitution, also tell him your umemployed, there could be tax break, you will also have to pay your National Insurance stamps for the first 52 weeks while you are overseas, give them a call as well

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

Liam Pickburn in Middlesbrough, United Kingdom said: Ahh right cheers for you help and hope he's doing great!!
What does your hubby do then? Do you hear from him much?
Cheers x

Hes a journeyman electrician and he calls me everyday after he finishes work. He has a calling card that he uses.

Diego rocksntoiletrolls in Spain --located on the other side of the pond, GMT+1

79 months ago

hey Liam,

just wondering whether you had to take the WABI test (workplace attitude behaviour thing), and if so, where was that, in the UK? or perhaps on the phone, online?

glad you are getting through,

all the best sparkman

ps: hey tipperary, helpful info that of regarding taxation. also, that interest of you in your profile amazes me greatly.

79 months ago

Diego rocksntoiletrolls in Spain --located on the other side of the pond, GMT+1 said: hey Liam,

just wondering whether you had to take the WABI test (workplace attitude behaviour thing), and if so, where was that, in the UK? or perhaps on the phone, online?

glad you are getting through,

all the best sparkman

ps: hey tipperary, helpful info that of regarding taxation. also, that interest of you in your profile amazes me greatly.

I didnt have to take the WABI Test because if from the uk aparently..
I rang the HM Revenue today about the tax issue but there far to busy because of people trying to get there tax returns in by end of january, So they told me to ring back february the 1st.

Mite be silly going to Iraq if im paying back 60 pence for every pound in britain for tax!

Diego rocksntoiletrolls in Spain --located on the other side of the pond, GMT+1

79 months ago

Cheers pal for that.

Back on taxes, what about a finance advisor? Mustnt be that expensive for just a consultation and FWIW. Just suggesting, I dont really know much.

79 months ago

Diego rocksntoiletrolls in Spain --located on the other side of the pond, GMT+1 said: Cheers pal for that.

Back on taxes, what about a finance advisor? Mustnt be that expensive for just a consultation and FWIW. Just suggesting, I dont really know much.

I aint sure on anything about tax if im honest, Just know that Kbr dont do tax.

79 months ago

Liam Pickburn in Middlesbrough, United Kingdom said: I aint sure on anything about tax if im honest, Just know that Kbr dont do tax.

even if you paid tax and national insurance you would still take home £55,000 a year, just over a 1000 a week but if you stayed out of the country for the financial tax year, but still came home for 30 days holidays in that year but no more, you would get the full £83,000

the tax year is april 6th to april 5th

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

TipperarySparks in Nenagh, Ireland said: master is 150,000 US$ roughly but you have to be a UK approved sparky to get that rate and only after you been there for a least a couple of months, did not take your laptop yet, until you've been there for at least a month, you can get it posted to you, a lot of lads get moved to different bases where they are not allowed.

Ahh right, I thought because from what you said the other day, If I ruturned even once id pay 60 % tax

79 months ago

Liam Pickburn in Middlesbrough, United Kingdom said: Ahh right, I thought because from what you said the other day, If I ruturned even once id pay 60 % tax

it's a bit of a minefield liam but once you've spoken to the tax office or even better go down to your local tax office and speak to someone face to face it should all become clear.

you still need to pay the 52weeks of national insurance this means that when you came back you can stiall avail of social welfare benifits, NHS etc. When i went overseas, a go few years ago, i had to pay about £1800 for the year for national insurance

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

Hi Liam, i just spoke to an English guy thats about to fly to Iraq. I asked him briefly about the tax deal and he said something about you need to get some forms from the Inland Revenue, something like a PAT form or P85 form. He said you have to let them know before you leave. But yes it is tax free, so check it out.

79 months ago

Yeah you right bout that form
cheers for the info mate!!

mellypryor in Fort Worth, Texas

79 months ago

Hello everyone. Hey I need to know if anyone knows about CJOA? My husband is coming home for R&R but when he goes back he will be going CJOA.

79 months ago

What does that stand for?

mellypryor in Fort Worth, Texas

79 months ago

Im not sure!lol It means they go camp to camp and work and live out of a bag.

79 months ago

Combined joint operations it is in Afghanistan only they from base to base doing small jobs

hope that helps.

79 months ago

My dates been moved back to the 9th february so I can travel with my friend :) Geting closer and geting nervouse!

79 months ago

Having some problems with my insurance tho.

Any help??

the website www.aetnaglobalbenefits.com

but when I try and register it asks for a code/enrolement number

And ive trie my KBR number - NO GOOD

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

Liam Pickburn in Middlesbrough, United Kingdom said: Having some problems with my insurance tho.

Any help??

the website www.aetnaglobalbenefits.com

but when I try and register it asks for a code/enrolement number

And ive trie my KBR number - NO GOOD

Try to call the customer service number. They are very helpful and should walk you through it. Good luck.

79 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: Try to call the customer service number. They are very helpful and should walk you through it. Good luck.

thanks, how do i ring from the uk? what number do it put infront?

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

Liam Pickburn in Middlesbrough, United Kingdom said: thanks, how do i ring from the uk? what number do it put infront?

mmm sorry i dont know. Same as you would to call your recruiter?

79 months ago

Cheers Ive sorted all my insurance out.

few questions, Did the people who went to Iraq take a suitcase or rather a large sports bag?
the long zipped type?

cheers.

79 months ago

What clothes are advised and footwear? That brochures pants!

switch in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

Most of the people took large duffel bags, some had the pull out wheels on. Steel toe boots.Didnt you get a list of stuff to take ? At least 7 days of clothing.

J.briers in Houston, Texas

79 months ago

Can somebody tell me about W2 from KBR?My husband worked at Afghanistan ,less then year,he missed W-2 forms,and now we have so much problems with IRS,What we can do? And do they pay taxes?

79 months ago

J.briers in Houston, Texas said: Can somebody tell me about W2 from KBR?My husband worked at Afghanistan ,less then year,he missed W-2 forms,and now we have so much problems with IRS,What we can do? And do they pay taxes?

I dont know what W2 forms are but from what ive been told from the uk Inland revenue who sort all the tax issues out here in england is that when it comes to working away abroad theres alot of grey areas. people may think its tax free but I aint so sure just yet. Ive got a few meetings with the bank and the tax office before I go to Houston.
And hopefully we can sort this tax situation out between us.
I asked myrecruiter about the taxes and he said 'I' as a person will have to saught them out between me and paying a good accountant!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.