KBR in Afghanistan (1st timer)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 82)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

barnsie in Elmira, New York

96 months ago

I am glad that I found this website. I do have a couple of questions if anyone can answer them. Sorry if I am repetitive. I leave 2 weeks from today for Houston to process. I then go to Afghanistan provided there are no issues. How are we flown to Afghanistan? How long does it take? Is the recruiter correct when she said the length of stay is generally 7-10 days in Houston? And I think I read that there are no ATM'S over there? That isn't correct is it? When we ger out R&R how are the arrangements made? And last but not least, my buddy went over last month though he has yet to call or email, when he went to Iraq the first time he could call and email, we haven't heard from him yet this time. The wife is bugging out a little about me not being able to call or email home? Sorry for any repeats.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (195) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

debbiecreery in Gatesville, Texas

96 months ago

Your flight could be 20 to 26 hours. Not sure of ammeneties in Afganistan my husband is in Iraq. You could be in Houston longer then 10 days especially due to Hurrican in Houston delaying flights out. I have heard the conditions in Afganistan are very cold winters and even less then Iraq. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Cam A in Khost, Afghanistan

96 months ago

The average stay in Houston if 14 days. Not all bases have ATM machines, but the main bases do have them (Bagram, Kandahar). It's about a 21 hour flight, you'll have 1 to 2 layovers. Computers are everywhere, hell I sit in front of one all day long here. Phones are everywhere as well, KBR will provide land lines routed through Houston, therfore when using a KBR phone it's like your calling from Houston and not Afghanistan. KBR has a travel dept. that will halp you schedule your R and R's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

mememe39 in Chesapeake, Virginia

89 months ago

Does anybody know if KBR is still on a hiring freeze for foodservice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (101) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

kerry mcgraw in Dundee, United Kingdom

86 months ago

my boyfriend has been contacted by KBR to go to iraq or afghanistan he,s an electrician,he,s unsure if he will ow if he,need a drivers liscence,does anyone know if he,ll need one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

anoceanmaid in Leeds, United Kingdom

86 months ago

kerry mcgraw in Dundee, United Kingdom said: my boyfriend has been contacted by KBR to go to iraq or afghanistan he,s an electrician,he,s unsure if he will ow if he,need a drivers liscence,does anyone know if he,ll need one?

Yes he will need one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

culfor1 in Valrico, Florida

83 months ago

Help, My husband just recieved word that he will be working in Afghanistan as an electrician through kbr. What are the living conditions over there? We have eight kids, I want to know what he is in for and if this is going to be worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (89) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

alcoa in greenville, South Carolina

83 months ago

culfor1 in Valrico, Florida said: Help, My husband just recieved word that he will be working in Afghanistan as an electrician through kbr. What are the living conditions over there? We have eight kids, I want to know what he is in for and if this is going to be worth it.

go to Houston For Processing you will find it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

culfor1 in Valrico, Florida said: Help, My husband just recieved word that he will be working in Afghanistan as an electrician through kbr. What are the living conditions over there? We have eight kids, I want to know what he is in for and if this is going to be worth it.

Depending on the camp he is assigned the conditions will vary. The larger camps that have been there are much better living conditions. In the newer developng camps he may be sleeping in large tents, eating MRE's. Winter is near and the winter's can be harsh. Be prepared to send winter clothing gear, lots of snow in the mountain areas. The money is good so save as much as you can and ride it out as long as you can. My hubby has been there 2 1/2 yrs in Iraq but will be coming home for good in the spring. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I've seen post about people cheating and appparently having a great ole time over there, have you had any of these problems? And I'm guessing since he has been over there for several years that saftey is.....ok? I do not want to be a single mom! And how often does he get to come home or does he? Thanks for your help!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

alcoa in greenville, South Carolina said: go to Houston For Processing you will find it

Where can I find this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

whatsthegreenwirefor in Navarre, Florida

83 months ago

culfor1 in Valrico, Florida said: Where can I find this?

www.indeed.com/forum/cmp/KBR/Going-Houston-Processing/t87443

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

When he was working for KBR he came home every 120 days. He is now working for IAP and he comes home every 6 months. It could be more they every 120 days depending on the people in his department and when they have their R&R scheduled. It is relatively safe in Iraq but always remeber they are in a war zone and issues are much more in Afghanistan, but as my hubby says the odds are greater to be killed in an automobile accident then in a war zone. I just don't think about that part and stay busy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Does he have a computer and or cell phone to comunicate on a regular basis? I'm sorry for all the questions but I'm very nerveous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

He has a computer but has never been able to get an internet connection but they are getting connections in some areas. He has always called every day. We purchase phone cards. The call will be from a Houston number so its state to state not international call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Does your husband leave the base?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

kodiak570 in Houston, Texas

83 months ago

Pretty good little site I found from a guy over there:

[link=www.iraq-up-close-and-personal.com/afghanistantimezone newwindow]Link[/link]

I just googled Kabul Nato baseand got another story. It's a little old but tells about day to day life. I tried to post the link, but it says you can't post phone numbers. I guess it's reading the article number.

I was actually being considered for a position there, but haven't heard any word back yet. I hope this helps. You may also want to google some KBR spouse forums. They could have some good info as well.

Kodiak570

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Only time he leaves camp is to fly to Baghdad for flight home. Usually by chopper, sometimes charter plane.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Thank you for all your help. If you can think of anything he or I might need or would like to know please please let me know! He is supposesd to be in Houston by the 11th.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

e-mail me at afscme3920@aol . com and give me your phone number and I will give you a call.

Debbie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

clintea

83 months ago

Hello can anyone help me I have been applying with KBR for over a year and have never heard anything back. I know I am qualified to do the work. Is there some sort of trick to get hired or do you have to know somebody. I have tried to get a recruiters number but have been unsuccessful. Any help would be appreciated. cje7271easton@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

kodiak570 in Houston, Texas

83 months ago

clintea said: Hello can anyone help me I have been applying with KBR for over a year and have never heard anything back. I know I am qualified to do the work. Is there some sort of trick to get hired or do you have to know somebody. I have tried to get a recruiters number but have been unsuccessful. Any help would be appreciated. cje7271easton@aol.com

I am in the same boat. I am a former employee who completed their contract, came home, and now I am looking to return. I have submitted resumes every month or two for over 2 years, and can't get anyone to call me back. I was qualified the first time, and now I guess I am no longer qualified?? Anyways, I know this is what I want to do for my career and not some flash in the pan job. So I sit and search and apply (on avergae about 12 hours a week) to get my ticket back to the Sandbox. Good Luck and don't get discouraged.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

freddiebosch in DESPATCH, South Africa

83 months ago

why do you say so dear mr,madam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

myfairjuliet in McKinney, Texas

83 months ago

Debbie Creery in Gatesville, Texas said: e-mail me at afscme3920@aol . com and give me your phone number and I will give you a call.

Debbie

Debbie... when do you stop holding your breath every day waiting for thier call? Or wasting time at work reading through this blog just because other wives and girlfriends and posted thier own worries on it? When do you get used to thier absence?

83 months ago

myfairjuliet in McKinney, Texas said: Debbie... when do you stop holding your breath every day waiting for thier call? Or wasting time at work reading through this blog just because other wives and girlfriends and posted thier own worries on it? When do you get used to thier absence?

myfairjuliet My husband has been over almost two weeks.......it will be 14 days on Monday and I do not know if I will ever get used to him being gone. And I'm reading on the forum all the time as well..........Good question.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

culfor1 in Valrico, Florida said: myfairjuliet My husband has been over almost two weeks.......it will be 14 days on Monday and I do not know if I will ever get used to him being gone. And I'm reading on the forum all the time as well..........Good question.

Mine left on the 17th... I assume it will get easier. I know we're strong enough to do this. Still miss him though. Don't think that will change. Don't think anyone else understand except the other folks on here.

83 months ago

myfairjuliet in McKinney, Texas said: Mine left on the 17th... I assume it will get easier. I know we're strong enough to do this. Still miss him though. Don't think that will change. Don't think anyone else understand except the other folks on here.

Did he leave Houston on the 17th? Is he in Bagram?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

culfor1 in Valrico, Florida said: Did he leave Houston on the 17th? Is he in Bagram?

He left Houston on the 17th... he's at Camp Anaconda for about another week - Where's yours?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

fayro in Ohio

82 months ago

My husband just got to Bagram a week ago. I was wondering, how do you mail them something there. He said he will send me his address soon, wants to make sure of where he will be staying before I send him something. Do you send it regular mail, Fedex, DHL, UPS??? If anyone could help with this it would help.. Also is it gonna be really high to send him stuff?? Let me know, Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Wait until he provides you with a permanent address. Mail will take from 7 to 21 days to get to him. You can get flat rate boxes in several differnt sizes at the post office or order them online through the USPS website. Cost is $11.95 per box, there is no weight limit. You will also need to get some custom forms as they are required on each box sent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

fayro in Ohio

82 months ago

Thank you so much, Debbie!! I had no idea, I never heard of those flat rate boxes before. That will help a lot cause he packed for Iraq. And two days before he left Houston, they switched him to Afghanistan. Thanks again!! :)

82 months ago

Your welcome. Glad to help. My e-mail in afscme3920@aol.com if you have ant other questions. My hubby has been over in Iraq for 2 1/2 years so we have dealt with most issues.

starbrite81 in Kingwood, Texas

82 months ago

Fayro in Ohio said: My husband just got to Bagram a week ago. I was wondering, how do you mail them something there. He said he will send me his address soon, wants to make sure of where he will be staying before I send him something. Do you send it regular mail, Fedex, DHL, UPS??? If anyone could help with this it would help.. Also is it gonna be really high to send him stuff?? Let me know, Thanks!!

Send it priority through the post office. I used to get huge packages within 6 days to 2 weeks at the longest.

gumsjohn in Newton, Massachusetts

81 months ago

Hi,
Check out this really helpful site where you can refill prepaid phone cards of your family members in Afghanistan living there or serving there www.etopuponline.com

freddiebosch in DESPATCH, South Africa

81 months ago

IF I STAY IN SOUTH AFRICA CAN I STILL WORK FOR KBR, BLACKWATER,ECT OTHER AMERICAN FIRMS IN AMERICA, KUWAIT, IRAQ AFRICA OR AFGANISTAN?
OR AM I WAISTING MY TIME TO GET A JOB? I HAVE ALSO TRIDE TO GET WORK ON AMERICAN FARMS AS A TRUCK DRIVER ETC, IT ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION FOR ME PLEASE HELP
THANK YOU GOD BLESS
FREDDIE BOSCH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ivan denkovski in Western Springs, Illinois

79 months ago

how can i work in afganistan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Steve 81 in Skopje, Macedonia

72 months ago

How can i get a job in afganistan?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sahara in Twin Lakes, Wisconsin

72 months ago

Barnsie in Elmira, New York said: I am glad that I found this website. I do have a couple of questions if anyone can answer them. Sorry if I am repetitive. I leave 2 weeks from today for Houston to process. I then go to Afghanistan provided there are no issues. How are we flown to Afghanistan? How long does it take? Is the recruiter correct when she said the length of stay is generally 7-10 days in Houston? And I think I read that there are no ATM'S over there? That isn't correct is it? When we ger out R&R how are the arrangements made? And last but not least, my buddy went over last month though he has yet to call or email, when he went to Iraq the first time he could call and email, we haven't heard from him yet this time. The wife is bugging out a little about me not being able to call or email home? Sorry for any repeats.

how did you get the job help me i want to go too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sahara in Twin Lakes, Wisconsin

72 months ago

am going throw the same thing,if you get respond let me know lpease.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

erichurks in Fresno, Texas

72 months ago

sahara in Twin Lakes, Wisconsin said: how did you get the job help me i want to go too.

I am looking to go also can you help with a contact?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

john in Kathmandu, Nepal

69 months ago

I want to work in afganisthan with dynacorp. I am much intersted to make my career with dynacorp, greatly appreciated if anybody can help me to send TCN recruiter or any contact address of dynacorp. I am HSE and QA/QC and IT experienced person.
i want help in mail: universejb@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rmjackson1 in The Dalles, Oregon

68 months ago

i am also interested in working in Afghanistan or Iraq for 6 months, a year, or longer..... I am an electrician from Oregon and any help would be greatly appreciated and helpful... thanks... Ray rmjackson1@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mixermike2 in Tallil, Iraq

68 months ago

go to kbr.com dude

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rmjackson1 in The Dalles, Oregon

68 months ago

thanks!

68 months ago

jez in Keighley, United Kingdom said: I have been trying to get a job with a logcap company for over 2 years. I now have a offer from one of the big companys but I am due to get married abroad and already booked a 2 week holiday. I have not told the recruiter this as I think they may withdraw the offer. I am interested in what you guys would do? wait until I deploy or try and sort some r&r before I go.

I'd go over and tell them while you're working...it may be an "emergency R/R" in which case you may not get reimbursed anything...not sure...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

deerhog83@*****.*** in Blackwood, New Jersey

68 months ago

I am a licensed plumber in NJ and I am in the same boat.I've applied to everything coming down the road and don'seem to be getting anywhere at all.I could also use some help in this area. Thanks,
Chris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Irish Sparks in Dublin, Ireland

67 months ago

Hi Guys,
I am a qualified Electrician from Ireland and i have been applying for a Logcap position with KBR for twelve months and never even got a call back.I would really appreciate it if there was anyone out there who could give me any help or advice.
Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

kodiak570 in USD-S, IRAQ

67 months ago

Irish Sparks in Dublin, Ireland said: Hi Guys,
I am a qualified Electrician from Ireland and i have been applying for a Logcap position with KBR for twelve months and never even got a call back.I would really appreciate it if there was anyone out there who could give me any help or advice.
Thanks in advance.

Email address?? I may have some info that might help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

deerhog83@gmail.com in Blackwood, New Jersey said: I am a licensed plumber in NJ and I am in the same boat.I've applied to everything coming down the road and don'seem to be getting anywhere at all.I could also use some help in this area. Thanks,
Chris

like the people in that show, Jersey Shore?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.