KBR requiring SF85 now? Will my bad credit screw me

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Ryanek9freak in ColoradoSprings, Colorado

52 months ago

I have been offered a position with KBR as a heavy wheel mechanic. I have my passport, and have been sent all the neccessary forms, including the SF85. I went through a nasty divorce 3 years ago, whoch I am still recovering from. I lost my house, and had my truck and tools repoed. The things I still do have, credit cards, cell phone, rental history etc. Is in very good standing.

I have a zero criminal history, no prior drug use. Nothing, just my horrible credit. I currently have a really good job, for the states anyway, and will obviously have to quit, to go to houston for processing. I will be crushed and furious if they tell me that I can't be hired due to my past credit history.

I guess my question is, do I have to worry about it, and should I take the chance? If I quit my job, there's not a chance in hell I will be able to go back, so I will be royally screwed if KBR denies me.

ANyone have any input that has been in this situation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Northof48 in Anchorage, Alaska

52 months ago

Ryanek9freak in ColoradoSprings, Colorado said: I have been offered a position with KBR as a heavy wheel mechanic. I have my passport, and have been sent all the neccessary forms, including the SF85. I went through a nasty divorce 3 years ago, whoch I am still recovering from. I lost my house, and had my truck and tools repoed. The things I still do have, credit cards, cell phone, rental history etc. Is in very good standing.

I have a zero criminal history, no prior drug use. Nothing, just my horrible credit. I currently have a really good job, for the states anyway, and will obviously have to quit, to go to houston for processing. I will be crushed and furious if they tell me that I can't be hired due to my past credit history.

I guess my question is, do I have to worry about it, and should I take the chance? If I quit my job, there's not a chance in hell I will be able to go back, so I will be royally screwed if KBR denies me.

ANyone have any input that has been in this situation?

Dont quit your job till you are on the plane going to Dubai. get a 2 week leave from your employer and quit only when you make it thru Houston.

You must be honest on the SF85. It is a government form of public trust. If you lie and they catch it ( and they will sooner or later) they you arnt trustworthy. Explain what happened. That is your best bet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Northof48 in Anchorage, Alaska said: Dont quit your job till you are on the plane going to Dubai. get a 2 week leave from your employer and quit only when you make it thru Houston.

You must be honest on the SF85. It is a government form of public trust. If you lie and they catch it ( and they will sooner or later) they you arnt trustworthy. Explain what happened. That is your best bet.

Oh, I plan on being 100% honest. I have nothing to hide. I will explain everything in detail. Oh and yeah right on the 2 week leave lol. My employer would tell me to pound sand....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Ryanek9freak in ColoradoSprings, Colorado said: Oh, I plan on being 100% honest. I have nothing to hide. I will explain everything in detail. Oh and yeah right on the 2 week leave lol. My employer would tell me to pound sand....

Well, it works for some. I would wait till I got the flight to Houston first.
Let your background and stuff clear with KBR.

52 months ago

Oh, I would certainly wait until I have my itinerary in my hands, but man, if I go all the way to Houston, just to get turned down.....will that be a bummer.

52 months ago

Ryanek9freak in ColoradoSprings, Colorado said: Oh, I would certainly wait until I have my itinerary in my hands, but man, if I go all the way to Houston, just to get turned down.....will that be a bummer.

I was in Houston last Nov. with the same concerns.

At that time they wern't processed till in country, a few months later or so I was told. I never had a problem...but was turned away for medical

52 months ago

if only those who have great credit can get jobs, then what are folks supposed to do? No one will work except for those at the credit bureaus

52 months ago

Northof48 in Anchorage, Alaska said: if only those who have great credit can get jobs, then what are folks supposed to do? No one will work except for those at the credit bureaus

Yea, I have to imagine that they won't be processed till some time down the line. The govt. has an insane amount of them to do.

I never understood why credit can or should preclude you from a job. IT should be illegal for companies to check it, unless you're a banker or something.

Koko Wilson in Altamonte Springs, Florida

52 months ago

As far as debt--Such is the times that this issue/ concern comes up a lot. As others said , best advice, I note you already plan to do–is to just be honest as it does sound as if you have a mitigating factor–if any issue even comes up for you. Please be reassured that the cause of debt is generally more important than the amount of debt, because it can reveal insight into a person’s reliability, trustworthiness, and judgment. However, financial problems can be mitigated by showing that the conditions that resulted in the financial problems were largely beyond a person’s control. ( some examples as depicted in the federal guides : job loss, business down turn, death, medical, divorce or separation) If the debt occurred is due to situations beyond the applicant’s control, the significance of the problem is substantially reduced. Most agencies look at business downturns/failures, job loss, medical problems and divorce etc, as a mitigating factor--as such honesty is an important factor in fact the KEY when filling out these forms.

www.indeed.com/forum/cmp/KBR/Credit-requirements/t233209

Also above is another thread that covers this issue with a post on this very topic that was addressed directly to a KBR recruiter that may reassure you–look at Chris Twopher in Fremont, California said:

Best of luck =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.