Rest in Relaxation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Tif in Hickory, North Carolina

80 months ago

My husband is in Afgan and has been since august ..He wants R&R in Feb which if its the 4 month rule he is due R&R in Dec. My question is are they (the powers that be ) good about giving R&R when its due them and what this thing about paying 800.00 or so to help with travle ???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Crystal01 in Maine

80 months ago

Tif in Hickory, North Carolina said: My husband is in Afgan and has been since august ..He wants R&R in Feb which if its the 4 month rule he is due R&R in Dec. My question is are they (the powers that be ) good about giving R&R when its due them and what this thing about paying 800.00 or so to help with travle ???

My husband hasn't been there his 4 mos. yet but he was told that once you are 60 days out (60 days from your 120th day), they schedule your R&R.

For the $860, it is a travel allowance toward the plane ticket home. I have read and heard that you have to pay for the plane ticket upfront (comes out of your check, I think?) and then on the next paycheck they give you the $860 back.

tashasvirgil in fayetteville

78 months ago

Crystal01 in Maine said: My husband hasn't been there his 4 mos. yet but he was told that once you are 60 days out (60 days from your 120th day), they schedule your R&R.

For the $860, it is a travel allowance toward the plane ticket home. I have read and heard that you have to pay for the plane ticket upfront (comes out of your check, I think?) and then on the next paycheck they give you the $860 back.

Yes you pay for the full price of the ticket once u confirm an itinerary and then KBR will re-imburse you back 860.00 plus 10 days of pay while you are on R&R. After u return.

anoceanmaid in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

You can also pay for your own ticket and they will reimburse you the $860. You can find lower priced flights than they give you. Just an FYI they include the $860 with you 10 days of pay and since it is all done just like your payroll they do take the taxes out of the $860 so remember to tell whoever is doing your taxes that you travel allotment is included with your pay.

Scott in Trenton, New Jersey

78 months ago

Out of curiosity, how much does a ticket cost and is it one way or round trip your paying for?

mellypryor in Fort Worth, Texas

78 months ago

I need to see if I can find some information and thinking ppl on here might know. My husband is in Afghanistan and he has been for four months. A guy that he flew in with had a Master license and so they made him some kind of supervisor needless to say now he has attitude, and it has just gone to his head. He treats ppl badly and always being a jerk. My husband wants to transfer out of that camp and go anywhere, he don't care where just as long as he don't have to work for this guy anymore. Also he has turned this guy into many different depts...just wondering if there is someone in Houston to call and make a complaint? Thanks ahead

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

asco00 in New Lenox, Illinois

77 months ago

What companies can you use to find cheaper flights then what KBR offers. I'm trying to get an idea of the expense we'll incur on flights.

Stephanie AJ in Corpus Christi, Texas

77 months ago

From my husband's experience:

Once you are eligible for R&R, you will need to fill out the paperwork and then go to HR to request the time off. If there are sufficient people to cover your job, then usually you'll get the time off that you want. My hubby's never had a problem getting the R&R that he wants.

Remember when booking airfare, if there is a delay in your departure or return and you've booked your own travel arrangments, KBR does not help you with that.

My husband's first R&R was delayed by "the worst sand storm they had ever seen" and he didn't get to leave until 4 days after his initial R&R start date. If he had booked his own travel arrangements, he would have to deal with rebooking and trying to get a refund and all that all by himself. You can probably save a little money, but in our experience, it was best for us to let KBR arrange everything. They took care of everything during that sand storm delay. He did not have to do a thing but worry and wait anxiously.

KBR rearranged everything so that his R&R dates still equaled the number of days he had wanted off. In other words, because his departure date was delayed by 4 days, he did NOT miss out on 4 days of his R&R.

The reimbursement of $860 will only happen after you've returned to Iraq. It usually takes two paychecks for processing. They do that because there are many, many people who go home on R&R and decide to not go back.

Stephanie AJ in Corpus Christi, Texas

77 months ago

As far as making a complaint about bad supervisors...

My husband's advice is to keep it quiet. The company won't do anything about it (except probably give the guy a promotion) and the person filing complaints and alerting people usually wind up being sent home (fired.)

My hubby's worked for a terribly mean and lazy man. Even the camp's mayor and other Marines complained about him. Every single employee that has worked for this guy has complained within 3 months of working for him. But, yet, he's still there after 5 years and every year or so they promote him.

Even with this company's hunger for money, they still didn't get rid of him after finding unnecessary and unwarranted overspending coming straight from him.

As far as being transfered, good luck! My hubby was told they do not allow vertical transfers. He was finally able to go to a new camp when his old camp was closed. Only to find out two weeks later that his bad supervisor was moved to that same base. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mellypryor in Fort Worth, Texas

76 months ago

Has anyone heard of Camp Cobra in Afghanistan? It's pretty new but maybe someone knows.

Melinda Pearson in Woodstock, Georgia

76 months ago

It is all about the money. Your husband needs to make it work. Complaining could get him transferred to a less than preferable part of the country.

Melinda Pearson in Woodstock, Georgia

76 months ago

asco00 in New Lenox, Illinois said: What companies can you use to find cheaper flights then what KBR offers. I'm trying to get an idea of the expense we'll incur on flights.

None...KBR gets the lowest rates... I know, I have looked.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michael- G in Farmington, New Mexico

76 months ago

How long does it take to get to the states from Iraq and do those day come out of your R&R?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.