info on what to expect in Dubai?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Crystal01 in Thorndike, Maine

71 months ago

My husband just got sent out (after 22 days in Houston!) and was flying to Dubai yesterday. He should have arrived some time this morning around 10 am, our time. It's now 8 pm and I haven't heard from him and am just a little worried.

Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes, once you are in Dubai, before you have access to communications?

Also, anyone know how long you are typically in Dubai? His final destination (at this time anyway) is Iraq.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

switch in Austin, Texas

71 months ago

22 Days in Houston? what happened?? I thought that it was only taking 10 days. My husband goes to Houston 26th and i hope he is not there that long!! Does your husband have an international prepaid card with him to call you? They told me to send one with my husband. What camp is he going to in Iraq?
Ive heard their trip is very long and tedious so maybe he hasnt had a chance yet, dont worry i expect you will hear from him before too long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

switch in Austin, Texas

71 months ago

Crystal01 in Thorndike, Maine said: My husband just got sent out (after 22 days in Houston!) and was flying to Dubai yesterday. He should have arrived some time this morning around 10 am, our time. It's now 8 pm and I haven't heard from him and am just a little worried.

Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes, once you are in Dubai, before you have access to communications?

Also, anyone know how long you are typically in Dubai? His final destination (at this time anyway) is Iraq.

Thanks

By the way you might want to post on the KBR Salaries forum. There is usually someone there that has all the info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Crystal01 in Maine

71 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: 22 Days in Houston? what happened?? I thought that it was only taking 10 days. My husband goes to Houston 26th and i hope he is not there that long!! Does your husband have an international prepaid card with him to call you? They told me to send one with my husband. What camp is he going to in Iraq?
Ive heard their trip is very long and tedious so maybe he hasnt had a chance yet, dont worry i expect you will hear from him before too long.

I guess things were a little delayed because of the hurricane but then other things fell through the cracks for him.

First it was his medical. His records hadn't been updated, or something like that. He didn't know until he went to scan and got some error telling him to see a KBR rep. This was over the weekend and he was expecting to be flying out on the Monday.

After that got taken care of he was supposed to be flying out on a Friday but his form to work over there (forget what that's called) hadn't been signed so they held him over until this Monday. Come Monday it still wasn't done (because of the holiday) so they sent him anyway and said they would take care of it via e-mail/fax. We'll see...

We didn't get an international calling card and I wish we had been told that. We were just thinking we'd use the internet. I did end up talking to him earlier, he found a card and we got to talk for 12 minutes before his $6 card was expired, lol! I was just glad to get the chance to talk to him. It was a long flight (14 hrs.) and they got in a midnight, Dubai time, so he went right to bed. It was weird talking to him at night here and it was 5 am there.

Anyway, he is supposed to be stationed in Victory. I'm curious to see now how long he ends up in Dubai before he gets sent out. His luck so far hasn't been very good. Atleast he's getting paid now, though. 2 months without pay for us is going to stink!

switch in Austin, Texas

71 months ago

Hi Crystal, once he gets to camp you might want to send him some domestic calling cards. The phones there are Houston phone numbers. Once he gets to Camp Victory its only a short bus ride from Baghdad airport and ive heard they have tons of ammenities there. How funny, my husband has been told he is going to camp victory. He is a journeyman electrician , What does your husband do? Im so nervous about my husband going and the waiting for a paycheck is not gonna be fun for us either. I wonder what the guarantee is that they make it to the camp they are told that they are going to . It will be interesting to see if your husband actually ends up there. I hope that he does. Please keep me posted. Im sure it wont be too long, it seems to go fast in Dubai.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

switch in Austin, Texas

71 months ago

By the way you might be lucky and get some money this month. Time goes in last saturday of each month and you get paid the friday after. So you have 11 or 12 days of money coming, although sometimes in goes in the next month. You might get a check on oct 31st or dec6th. good luck.

Crystal01 in Maine

71 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: Hi Crystal, once he gets to camp you might want to send him some domestic calling cards. The phones there are Houston phone numbers. Once he gets to Camp Victory its only a short bus ride from Baghdad airport and ive heard they have tons of ammenities there. How funny, my husband has been told he is going to camp victory. He is a journeyman electrician , What does your husband do? Im so nervous about my husband going and the waiting for a paycheck is not gonna be fun for us either. I wonder what the guarantee is that they make it to the camp they are told that they are going to . It will be interesting to see if your husband actually ends up there. I hope that he does. Please keep me posted. Im sure it wont be too long, it seems to go fast in Dubai.

Well he ended up calling me at 3 am to say that his flight for Iraq was leaving in an hour, so that was relief!

My husband is a master electrician. I wonder if our husbands will bump into each other!?

I had no idea the phone numbers there were Houston numbers, so thats great to know...thanks!

I'll definitely let you know once I've heard from him and know that he in fact at Victory.

Hopefully things will go much faster for your husband then they did for mine (in Houston). If my husband had had his passport before going, he probably would have gotten out sooner. Needing a passport was another thing that held him up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

switch in Austin, Texas

71 months ago

My husband already has his passport so i do hope that helps. Oh i bet they will work with eachother how exciting. Lets hope they both do in fact make it to camp victory. please keep me posted on how it goes, he should be there by now...
take care. jane

switch in Austin, Texas

71 months ago

Oh by the way. Did you make it to visit him in processing. Im planning to go visit my hubby if i can. Any info you can give me? did you have to book a hotel room etc thanks jane

Kristi88 in florala, Alabama

70 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: Hi Crystal, once he gets to camp you might want to send him some domestic calling cards. The phones there are Houston phone numbers. Once he gets to Camp Victory its only a short bus ride from Baghdad airport and ive heard they have tons of ammenities there. How funny, my husband has been told he is going to camp victory. He is a journeyman electrician , What does your husband do? Im so nervous about my husband going and the waiting for a paycheck is not gonna be fun for us either. I wonder what the guarantee is that they make it to the camp they are told that they are going to . It will be interesting to see if your husband actually ends up there. I hope that he does. Please keep me posted. Im sure it wont be too long, it seems to go fast in Dubai.

my husband is a journeyman electrician too, he has been in afganistan since oct 17, our two daughters and I are waiting on the first check...december 6 i am guessing....anyhow. my hubby calls home everyday around the same time, he says that having a routine makes the time go by faster and since the calls are routed through houston i call the number that shows up on the caller i.d. right back and it doesnt use up his phone card...!!!

Crystal01 in Maine

70 months ago

Kristi88 in florala, Alabama said: my husband is a journeyman electrician too, he has been in afganistan since oct 17, our two daughters and I are waiting on the first check...december 6 i am guessing....anyhow. my hubby calls home everyday around the same time, he says that having a routine makes the time go by faster and since the calls are routed through houston i call the number that shows up on the caller i.d. right back and it doesnt use up his phone card...!!!

You have not gotten a check yet?! Has he been able to take an advance and send you some money? Also have him ask and see if they are able to cut him a check early. My husband got to Iraq around the 15-16th of October and he got a partial paycheck last week. It wasn't a regular pay day, they just cut early because of when he started in the month and having to wait so long for a check. Maybe have your husband ask and see if that is a possibility for him as well?

70 months ago

well, we have just been living off of savings here and that is about gone now...he said he can take an advance now if i need him too but i don't know is that deposited into the bank or how does it work>?

switch in Austin, Texas

70 months ago

Kristi88 in florala, Alabama said: well, we have just been living off of savings here and that is about gone now...he said he can take an advance now if i need him too but i don't know is that deposited into the bank or how does it work>?

My hubby just got an advance of $500, i think you can go up to a $1000.He sent it to me by Western Union and i picked it up the next day at HEB grocery store. They charged him $30 to do that but for us it was worth it. Most camps have Western Union, if they dont im not sure what you would do. Good Luck

69 months ago

This might be a silly question but if the guys get paid on Friday is that their Friday or my Friday? Cause my hubby is a day ahead of me so When he called me today (wednesday) it was already thursday for him...So that means tomorrow is Friday for him....but thursday for me....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

switch in Austin, Texas

69 months ago

Kristi88 in florala, Alabama said: This might be a silly question but if the guys get paid on Friday is that their Friday or my Friday? Cause my hubby is a day ahead of me so When he called me today (wednesday) it was already thursday for him...So that means tomorrow is Friday for him....but thursday for me....

Some people get it on Thursday and others friday. I am personally hoping for tomorrow !! I think i remember your hubby arriving mid month? he will get paid till the last saturday of the month and dont forget to take out the 500 they gave him in Houston and the medical. There wont be much. Sometimes they just put it on the following month.

69 months ago

okay...sorry i'm confused...again, it's a normal occurence for me :o)...I am definetly hoping for tomorrow! He did end up getting a partial check before it was like the next day after my last post...anyway so when you said they take out the medical and 500 did you mean for the first check? I don't know if they took it out or not...since he arrived on the 17th and they gae him a check already (he said it was only like a week) he will get a full month check this time right? I guess it doesn't matter ...anything will be better than what i have...I am ready to go get christmas shopping over with (I am very behind I normally have all christmas shopping done by halloween cause I hate the crowds!)I guess I will know in the morning when I check the bank account hopefully it is there! I'm crossing my fingers for you and I both!

69 months ago

switch in Austin, Texas said: Some people get it on Thursday and others friday. I am personally hoping for tomorrow !! I think i remember your hubby arriving mid month? he will get paid till the last saturday of the month and dont forget to take out the 500 they gave him in Houston and the medical. There wont be much. Sometimes they just put it on the following month.

also, have you guys planned out what you are going to do for his first r&r? me and my hubby are planning a romantic reunion in London! I am so excited! I love my kids but they are making me crazy...so they are gonna sit this one out!...i didn't realize how much easier it was with him around, at least when he was here I could take a bath or go to the grocery store alone!

switch in Austin, Texas

69 months ago

Kristi88 in florala, Alabama said: also, have you guys planned out what you are going to do for his first r&r? me and my hubby are planning a romantic reunion in London! I am so excited! I love my kids but they are making me crazy...so they are gonna sit this one out!...i didn't realize how much easier it was with him around, at least when he was here I could take a bath or go to the grocery store alone!

Oh i just noticed he went out in october. Yes you will get a full check tomorrow Yipee !! Which camp is he at ?
My hubby will come home for his first R&R and we are thinking of driving to New Mexico for a few days. Then we will just relax at home and spend quality time as a family. You are going to London? Thats great you will love it but very expensive there. I come from England but havent been home in 3 years. One of these days we will plan a trip. For right now we have some catching up to do...

switch in Austin, Texas

69 months ago

Kristi, Try to make it to the other forum. There are a lot of wives and people just going over or in processing. You can ask any kind of question there and its very active.
Go to www.indeed.com/cmp/KBR and scroll down to Salaries and Bonuses. Hope to see you there !!

switch in Austin, Texas

69 months ago

You will probably find a wife whose husband is on the same camp as your hubby !

Sara Conner in Austin, Texas

68 months ago

Switch- I'm in the same boat. After he left Houston on Sunday December 18 I missed his 5 AM call from the London airport. Said he was taking a flight out Monday Dec 20 to Dubai, then to Iraq. I haven't heard from him AT ALL. I know there's a lot of isolation and security but, I would think the company provide access to safe communication for their employees, or something. Do you know the standard procedure? Or-how to find out all is well, so I can quit worrying? Thanks for any help, in advance...

Bushmaster in South Carolina

64 months ago

KBR Mclovin in Ogden, Utah said: To all those KBR wives at home your Husband is spending his Cash Advance at the York International Hotel spending his money on all the Beautiful Russian . African and Chinese Prostitutes . plus the Hotel they stay at there are dozens hanging around the hotel . Good luck ladies your Husband will bring home more than a Paycheck (STD)

Why would u even come on here and say that?THAT IS SO NOT TRUE!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.