Kaplan Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Kaplan?

What do you like best about working at Kaplan? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

Lydia in Chicago, Illinois

83 months ago

Run, don't walk, away from Kaplan University and Kaplan in general. It is a low-class organization. It's the worst organization I've ever had the misfortunate to be associated with. They are constantly finding new and creative ways to cheat their employees out of compensation and benefits. That's why they have to advertise constantly. They have tremendous turnover in both academic and admissions advising, and even higher-level academic areas of the organization. They don't care, either - you are expendable and replaceable. Someone else will take your place, then they'll chew them up and spit them out too.
And I once made the unfortunate mistake of trying to take a couple of their courses -- what a joke. Their faculty can't even write proper English.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

ineda rest in Boca Raton, Florida

72 months ago

Let me tell you about kaplan! working for this company has been the worst experience of my life! The two week training is awful. be prepared to take an exam every single day and if you do not score 80 or above they will fire you. they actually spend half a day going over all the reasons you will be fired. it is totally degrading. once you get on the floor to work (after and if you pass the tests)it is even worse! you are micromanaged beyond belief. most of the people that i was in training with were like me desperate for a job or too young to realize that this isn't normal.
it is a mentally toxic company to work for. your every move is watched like a hawk. you have to log in and log out for every single break. you have to account for everysecond you are not on the phone. you are not allowed to stop dialing the phone even to do paperwork. you have 3 people on your case a team leader an associate director and a director. they are like the GESTAPO! everyone is greedy and they are just trying to meet there goal. it is a hard sell and if you have students you are working with they can take them away from you at any time they talk about working as a team but they backstab you any chance they can get. you will not be treated differently or paid any better if you have 0 enrollments or 10 enrollments. their are people there with 3 enrollments a month and after a year are still only making 30k. they try to lure you in with the idea that you will be reviewed in 90 days with a pay increase up to 75k. very rare that anyone gets to that because its not JUST about enrollments. every phone call is monitored and recorded and if you forget to say your department or anything from the SCRIPT you get points taken off and it kills your review.
1 enrollment is so time consuming and if they drop out within the first 7 days you did all that work for nothing.
they expect you to stay overtime if you are enrolling someone without getting paid overtime. so much more i can say.. RUN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole H in New York, New York

70 months ago

My experience with Kaplan has been a lot better than the posters above. I used to work as a Student Advocate (think Customer Service) in the KTPL center in Manhattan about a year ago. It paid pretty decently (30K plus a monthly bonus) and I started off with benefits on day 1 (perfect for a recent college grad fresh off her parent's medical plan).

We trained as a group for 1 week learning the company culture, what was expected of us, and what we could expect from them. We then trained one-on-one with an associate already in our prospective positions for a couple of weeks.

During a shift, we we are given 2 paid 15-minute breaks and an unpaid 45-minute lunch (which sux becasue it turns what should be a normal 8-hour shift into a 8:45 shift). You can always run to the bathroom or whatever during your shift, but it will be counted as "away time" (or something like that, I forgot the term). Everything is tracked electronically by our telephones, so if you racked up too much "away time", they will know.

Overall, I enjoyed my time working at Kaplan. The people were cool, the money was decent, and the location was convenient.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole H in New York, New York

70 months ago

(continued)

Pros:
~decent pay for easy work
~free (and decent) coffee and tea in the break rooms
~room for growth and wearing different hats within the company
~(at least in my local) people were really nice and friendly...even the managers were really cool
~ monthly bonuses are based on performance which gives it a competative edge

Cons:
~monthly bonuses are based on performance which gives it a competative edge. your call time and away time are monitored, and at the end of each week, They send a mass email to all workers and managers in your department with those stats...you don't want to be the person on that list who racks up an hour of away time and stays on the phone for 15 minutes per call...you'll be let go.
~every phone call is recorded, every email tracked, every web history stored...They are watching. If a costumer calls back and complains about misinformation or rudeness, They will review the call. Every so often, They will randomly call you aside and have you listen to a call and critque it (sometimes its good, sometimes not so much).
~They are anal about tardiness...They dedicate an entire seminar during training on it. You DO NOT want to be late...1st time They will give u a warning, 2nd Time they write you up, 3rd time you'll be let go. This is only a con if you often run behind schedule (relying on bus/trains/old cars, or if you have kids or something)
~for people in sales dept: you will have sales goals. If you go above and beyond, you will be praised and treated like a king/queen. If you continually miss, you will be let go.
~for NYers: the call center is located on the floor above the executive offices, and the execs often walk around on the floor...people have been let go based on what the execs observed (ie. blatant slacking)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Optimist in nyc, New York

69 months ago

Thanks so much for this information... I have recently applied for several positions with Kaplan. ( I too will be a new grad in January :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

none in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

I work at the desk for Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions for the Chicagoland mainly DT, Evanston, LP. The job is easy and doesn't pay. The supervisor know this you do get cell phone discount, and health care, if you are done with your work you can surf the internet as long as you answer the phone. All put one of my supervisor started out in my role and got moved up the ladder they love to hire from within. You will be asked to sell classes do those you want information. All of the teachers seem to like the job and have decent engouch pay for a part-time Job. 10-14 an hour for two-three hours classes and you can get an hour of prep paid time. the classes are on nights and weekends-they tell you on day one of your application. However The rest of Kaplan I worked with people from Kaplan university they are awful and all about selling and nothing else. So Kaplan Test Prep and Kaplan INC are good they rest of Kaplan finance division and the university are bad and I would not work for those divisions of Kaplan ever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Cenza in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

62 months ago

This person from Boca is absolutely right! I'm sorry I didn't do my homework on this company before I accepted the job offering. This job is a nightmare! The lead policy is so bad that if you take a day off your leads can be taken away. (They tell you they're Kaplan's leads and can be taken away anytime). After you have interviewed a prospective student, and you build a relationship, it gets taken away from you after 72 hours if it doesn't move forward. You can add all the notes you want in the file, but it still gets taken away. A co-worker took the day off because of a medical issue and when he came back not only was the completed interview taken away, but other leads were also removed as well. You work with the same old leads every day and get new ones only if you have an enrollment. You get cut off from new leads within 40 hours of your last enrollment. You have to dial continuously, and until you get someone on the line, you have to call the same people 2 and 3 times a day so you can have the dials required per day. Of course when they hire you they don't tell you that! You're told leads are supplied by the company, but they don't tell you that the quality of leads are bad and you only start getting quality leads if you're already doing well with enrollments. It's very much like the rich get richer. Leads are also assigned according to whom you know. Anyway, I'm so glad and relieved, that I no longer work for this company. I've worked in call centers before, but have never worked in a place that was so micro-managed as this one. My palpitations have finally stopped!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jam in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

30 months ago

Can you tell me how it is being an Academic Advisor at Kaplan. I work for another university as a Admissions Counselor and I wanted to know more from the inside.

Academic Advisor not Admissions.

Thank you so much in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Samantha in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

30 months ago

I have a friend that went on an interview a while a go for an academic advisor and they get paid per hour, which means they get overtime. I was reading the forum and I saw where someone said they didn’t get paid overtime when they had to stay with a student. Not sure about admissions, but academic get paid Overtime.

I was looking on LinkedIn and I noticed that people that's an Academic Advisor has actually been there a longtime and have moved around the company. On LinkedIn you can study the history of people by reading their resumes.

But I would like to know if anyone here ever worked as an Academic Advisor. I heard that it’s not a revolving door and is actually hard to get in since the Academic advising doesn’t always have positions open.

I also heard that Admissions Advisor normally want to come over as an Academic Advisor because it is less stressed, however, you deal with retention but nothing at all like admissions.

This was told to me by someone one, but I would like to hear what some of the people on indeed has to say that worked in Academics.

I know the people on here are honest. I always come here to read on comments about different positions.

Thanks so much in advanced.

But I would

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

skybaby in Kansas City, Missouri

30 months ago

uh Lydia...they use bad grammar??? Please check your sentence #3.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Rica in Pompano Beach, Florida

29 months ago

IM ALSO APPLYING AT KAPLAN UNIVERSITY. THE BEST THING TO DO IS TO TAKE A TRIP DOWN THERE OR EMAIL ME AT ALMOND33064@YAHOO.COM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lubs5454 in Cashton, Wisconsin

14 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Kaplan?

What do you like best about working at Kaplan? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Run away...I have spent the last 5 1/2 years of my life being treated with disrespect. I am a seasoned veteran sales person and spent all of my time being overlooked by people who were 20 years my junior. I always compared it to the Caste system of India. We were constantly monitored and expected to grow the business even though all compensation plans had been eliminated. I stayed for the benefits which were excellent and for the wonderful people that I had the privilege to work with. No females in management, a perfect example of the good old boys club!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

KAF in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

14 months ago

I have been at Kaplan for 7 years and although there are constant changes, I am quite satisfied with my job and I get compensated very well for what I do. I have made over 85k for the last 6 years. I expect that all of the people with complaints listed here were not very good sales people which is why they were not successful at Kaplan. Yes it can be chaotic at times but what company can't be. The benefits are excellent, I am treated with respect, I get to make my own schedule since I make my numbers and I work from home. They are very picky nowadays about who they hire and in the past they hired anyone who had a degree but they are not doing that anymore. I expect if you were to ask current employees to evaluate the company you would get very different responses than the employees who failed to be successful that gave bad reviews.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ESL in Newtown, Connecticut

9 months ago

Does anyone have a comment on the School Director position in NY? I see it come up from time to time which is a bit worrying, but I may be interested in applying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gina.D in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

7 months ago

If you get the opportunity to work at this company, don't.In fact, run and never look back. This is a terrible company to work for. First off, there are only lowlifes and scumbags that work there. A majority of people that work there attended Kaplan, which says a lot. They mostly hire their students because well, who is really going to hire someone with a degree from Kaplan. The school is a joke and the employees are a joke. I had to run out of there because a trainer was sleeping with an employee and got jealous because I would carry on simple conversations with the guy. She started telling tons of lies on me to get me fired because she felt threatened. She would even throw tempter tantrums like a 2 year old when ever I would even talk to him. Can you say major Psycho? Upper management assumed whatever she said was true because they are racist and not very bright. It is a call center job that is driven completely by sales. Metrics matter a lot and it really is a do or sink mentality there. Either you make the goals or you are fired.They view you as disposable and you really are not valued.They make fun of people and it really is a childish, crude and just plain nasty environment to work in. They even expect you not to talk or explain yourself if need be. They are vultures and hideous looking not to mention their nasty attitudes. As for pay, it is not that great and in the lower income bracket after taxes are removed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Colorado Springs, Colorado

4 months ago

KAF in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I have been at Kaplan for 7 years and although there are constant changes, I am quite satisfied with my job and I get compensated very well for what I do. I have made over 85k for the last 6 years. I expect that all of the people with complaints listed here were not very good sales people which is why they were not successful at Kaplan. Yes it can be chaotic at times but what company can't be. The benefits are excellent, I am treated with respect, I get to make my own schedule since I make my numbers and I work from home. They are very picky nowadays about who they hire and in the past they hired anyone who had a degree but they are not doing that anymore. I expect if you were to ask current employees to evaluate the company you would get very different responses than the employees who failed to be successful that gave bad reviews.
Hey, that sounds pretty great. You make good money from home? How does that work? What is your job title, if I can ask? Thanks, Jeff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.