SF85 and credit history

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Explorer in Franklin, North Carolina

46 months ago

I am currently going through the hiring process for the light wheel vehicle mechanic job in Iraq. My question is concerning the SF85 process. My credit score is really bad due to stupidity in my early twenties. Over the last few years I have been working on improving my credit rating with credit cards and personal loans, and have always paid on time and paid the debt off in good standing. However a couple years ago I was employed with a company that offered to send me to job specific training, with the understanding that if I left within a year of the training that I would have to reimburse them for the school. I left within a year due to the fact that work was slow and my saving's was becoming depleted due to the lack of income. The company took me to small claims court and I now have a judgement against me on public record. I am currently saving to pay it off, but don't have enough to do so at the present time. I plan on letting them know about the judgement and have talked with my recruiter about it, and he stated that I should not worry about it. I am worried about this and hope it does not effect me from getting the job, but if it does it is all my fault. Anyone have any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

info said in Fort Worth, Texas

46 months ago

What company? Unfortunately the recruiter has no control over the 85 process but if they said they will process your paperwork they must have confidence in your skills and abilities. That's good

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Explorer in Franklin, North Carolina said: I am currently going through the hiring process for the light wheel vehicle mechanic job in Iraq. My question is concerning the SF85 process. My credit score is really bad due to stupidity in my early twenties. Over the last few years I have been working on improving my credit rating with credit cards and personal loans, and have always paid on time and paid the debt off in good standing. However a couple years ago I was employed with a company that offered to send me to job specific training, with the understanding that if I left within a year of the training that I would have to reimburse them for the school. I left within a year due to the fact that work was slow and my saving's was becoming depleted due to the lack of income. The company took me to small claims court and I now have a judgement against me on public record. I am currently saving to pay it off, but don't have enough to do so at the present time. I plan on letting them know about the judgement and have talked with my recruiter about it, and he stated that I should not worry about it. I am worried about this and hope it does not effect me from getting the job, but if it does it is all my fault. Anyone have any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

What company? Unfortunately the recruiter has no control over the 85 process but if they said they will process your paperwork they must have confidence in your skills and abilities. That's good

46 months ago

Sorry. The company is KBR.

46 months ago

Explorer in Franklin, North Carolina said: Sorry. The company is KBR.

Did they aleady send you the 85 package to include fingerprint cards? Or was it just conversations with the recruiter?

Gregg Pryor in Dade, Florida

46 months ago

What you are going through is a Public Trust Clearance. It's a background investigation that is performed on new employees, includes listing all past employers, schools attended, references, addresses where you lived at and people that can be contacted to verify this info. Criminal check, police record, even can see things where tickets weren't issued. Very detailed! Check 3 previous tax returns, credit check, check to see if you have any federal debts. If you have been selected, you will receive a tentative offer from KBR...which will then direct you to submit either an SF85p or SF86 and your fingerprints...then...you start the long wait. Your finances for a PT position really depend on the position and the agency you work for. Regardless, start working with the creditors now, and keep working with them. Agencies that over look finances will normally "pull" another credit report down the road.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

I spoke with my recruiter on Thursday, and also had to sit in on a conference call with KBR on Thursday. They emailed me several documents which start the hiring process. I have already faxed some of them back to KBR, and also completed there background check today via the internet. My recruiter stated that the fingerprint cards and SF85 package will be mailed out to me. They also sent me an electronic version of the SF85 to fill out and save to a thumb drive and bring with me to Houston on January 23. As far as my background investigation I have nothing to worry about. No criminal record at all, and only 2 speeding tickets in the last 7 years, and I owe no back taxes.

Gregg Pryor in Dade, Florida

46 months ago

Explorer in Franklin, North Carolina said: I spoke with my recruiter on Thursday, and also had to sit in on a conference call with KBR on Thursday. They emailed me several documents which start the hiring process. I have already faxed some of them back to KBR, and also completed there background check today via the internet. My recruiter stated that the fingerprint cards and SF85 package will be mailed out to me. They also sent me an electronic version of the SF85 to fill out and save to a thumb drive and bring with me to Houston on January 23. As far as my background investigation I have nothing to worry about. No criminal record at all, and only 2 speeding tickets in the last 7 years, and I owe no back taxes.

You should be fine.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.