Temp Agencies

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 72 of 72)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

looking for a job in Oakland, California

102 months ago

Well,
Think of it as if you were the recruiter point of view. I believe they make commission if the person they recommend to the company and got hire. It is all about money. So I guess basically beside experience and how you present yourself to the company count. Let say you are the best person and you got a lot of experience, let say you are the #1 guy a super intelligent smart person but your interview skill is very poor. Most likely you will not get the job. so they are basically looking for 2 thing, experience and professionalism(how you represent yourself). If you search into this forum when the agency recruiter say about going to the interview, no chewing gun, no rude, be professional, etc, etc. They mean it.

But there is a caviar,
For Agency recruiter is like a one way. not a two way. When you talk to them, you talk to them nice, professionally and may be you get a job. It is like they want respect. it is like they are god. When you finish meeting with the agency recruiter and you send a courtesy email saying thank you for your time, etc..
and if they call you and left a vm, you promptly reply back. They like that.

But say you act professionally, they got your resume and they send it to the company and weeks later you never got any call back. You call the agency to get feedback, status, etc., so you can improve yourself and correct your mistake. They never call you back even you act professionally. You see, this is a one way. When they want something they call you and you get back but when you need something, no call back.

I guess it is because, with the un-employment so high, they have a lot of choice to pick, they don't have to call you back, they just call somebody else. it is all about money.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

florgrl* in Ripon, Wisconsin

99 months ago

Mulatta in Bronx, New York said: They are all full of it. Personally I believe that these temp agencies accept bribes from employees who are working for them.

Temp agencies are the bottom of the pit in Wisconsin. I have scored 100 percent on their tests, had great interviews, and been screwed out of jobs. The jobs are usually bogus. I was told by one recruiter that a job was on hold for about 8 months. Then this company supposedly "went with another candidate". The reward for the candidate of choice: job was still on hold, due to lack of business. They are resume collectors and they use your resume to get clients. They figure that someday, if the economy ever bounces back, they would have some business. When 3 different temp services contact me about one lousy job in town and then it goes on hold after 8 months, that tells me that they don't have any current jobs. This was a job for an administrative assistant. Maybe they should advertise in Hollywood, they could use Wisconsin cities for ghost towns in some low budget films.

Reply - Report abuse

kartercountry in Waianae, Hawaii

95 months ago

I have used temp agencies a lot in the past and only a very few have actually performed for me. My experience is more then enough for anyone that I go to work for I always make it through the trial period and get hired on permanently. Even with a proven track record when using agencies most of the time we are dealing with agents that have far less experience and schooling then most of us. Therefor when you go to an agency that has agents in their early 20's you normally know what to expect such as express personnel. The best agencies I have worked for have been Manpower and Addecco both very well put together companies although that is not to say I have never had problems with them although when I have had problems this has shown me the staff has stopped caring about any of its employees.

Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Union City, California

89 months ago

summerteeth in North Hollywood, California said: if you can't find a job on your own, what makes you think your recruiter can do it?

recruiters are not miracle-workers.

What an awesome response !

Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

Two weeks ago (on Monday, April 5), I went to one of the Kelly Services offices right here in suburban Philadelphia. I had responded to an for a part-time outbound calling position. The girl that I met with, Crystal, was very nice, very pleasant, very professional, and very understanding to my needs. She was also very upfront and answered my questions about the job. She was also very honest in letting me know that they wanted somebody with a sales background. It was a miracled that they contacted me a day or so after I emailed my resume. Not only that, they advertised for a legitimate job. Whereas with a lot of these other staffing agencies, they just simply post fake jobs just to collect resumes.

I had some negative experiences with Kelly before, but now that's all in the past. I will check their website from time to see if they have anything else that I qualify for.

Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

kartercountry in Waianae, Hawaii said: I have used temp agencies a lot in the past and only a very few have actually performed for me. My experience is more then enough for anyone that I go to work for I always make it through the trial period and get hired on permanently. Even with a proven track record when using agencies most of the time we are dealing with agents that have far less experience and schooling then most of us. Therefor when you go to an agency that has agents in their early 20's you normally know what to expect such as express personnel. The best agencies I have worked for have been Manpower and Addecco both very well put together companies although that is not to say I have never had problems with them although when I have had problems this has shown me the staff has stopped caring about any of its employees.

I have done some assignments with Stivers, Manpower, Kelly, and a few of these other agencies. However, I won't deal with Careers USA, Adecco, Ajilon, Spherion, and Office Team; just to name a few. In fact, Careers USA has done diddlysquats for me.

But some of these agencies are more specialized, and some of them get in the really elite positions such as executive-level secretaries and assistants, office managers, paralegals, accountans, attorneys, high-tech people, etc. I don't even want to waste time with them. I'd rather go to an agency that takes all types of skills as well as go directly to the companies than waste my time with somebody who gets these high-elite positions in.

Reply - Report abuse

Ginene in Baltimore, Maryland

86 months ago

Sharon in Union City, California said: What an awesome response !

I agree. Also when I temp I call the recruiter on a daily basis to see if they have work. And it works for me. I love temp companies. They have millions of aps, if you want them to know you on a name by name basis, call them. Follow up. After you are in the system, give a daily call and say you are calling to see if they have anything available. It's the easiest way to show you are eager and to make the recruiter remember to call you first when they get something.

Reply - Report abuse

amanda in Fort Worth, Texas

84 months ago

Lupe Gonzalez in Plano, Texas said: I know exactly what recruiters do. First, you love to collect our job references so you can call them to do sales pitches. That's the main reason recruiters demand references. I've even had you jokers demand my references before even seeing me in person! NOW I KNOW WHY. You just want these references as "sales leads".

And I give recruiters a lot of credit for their creativity - they are pretty darn good at making up those phony job advertisements. Actually, this type of fraud should and can be considered criminal, so there is some food for thought.

I agree with you about all of that. They really do take your references as leads.

Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

73 months ago

Di in Louisville, Kentucky said:
What I'm going to say may sound petty to some, but I haven't seen it addressed so far -- what you wear to your interview at the temp agency can make a big difference in the number of jobs offered to you. While I was recently interviewed at Kelly Services, several other applicants were also being interviewed. A majority of the other applicants were dressed in clothing more suitable for a casual afternoon with friends (jeans, hoodies, t-shirts, flip-flops) rather than for an interview. Yes, many of the positions available won't require formal business clothing, but many require at least a step up from jeans. This may be the only interview you get with the agency, so first impressions are important. It is my opinon that many people think that if they are interviewing at an agency that it's not a "real" interview -- if you don't treat it as a real interview, they're not likely to send you out on one.

dy DY, I have no clue as to whether or not this has anything to do with why you don't get called by the temp agencies, I'm just offering this as a possibility.

Also, I've never heard of the "minimum rate" being paid for not completing a job -- it sounds like something an agency came up with to get people to stay at really bad jobs. If that's the case, they should offer the job with a warning that it's likely to be a bad situation.

Know this is old but seriously why would anyone show up to a business seeking employment dressed in anything other than nice business casual at a minimum (meaning dress shirt/black slacks/dress shoes?? and regarding minimum rate --- yes I have seen this on the application. If you don't give at week of notice to the temp agency if you quit you agree to just min wage for those unpaid hours. Of course the agency can terminate you at any time and will typically do so after work hours with NO notice.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

JRK in Stephenson, Michigan

72 months ago

Ginene in Baltimore, Maryland said: I agree. Also when I temp I call the recruiter on a daily basis to see if they have work. And it works for me. I love temp companies. They have millions of aps, if you want them to know you on a name by name basis, call them. Follow up. After you are in the system, give a daily call and say you are calling to see if they have anything available. It's the easiest way to show you are eager and to make the recruiter remember to call you first when they get something.

Calling them daily? Isn't that over done? That is why they have voice mail and never return calls. They don't have jobs to talk about and people bug them too much. Once a week is plenty if that. They don't even get in jobs on a daily basis.

Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Charlotte, North Carolina

70 months ago

Nycteris86 in Inverness, Illinois said: I applied for an opening as a temp-to-hire from Kelly for a lab tech since I'm taking a year off before going to grad school for my masters in chemistry and I'm pretty sure this requires a formal interview. However, the recruiter seemed pretty confident in my qualifications and I all she gave me was a rundown of the position and I filled out necessary paperwork, tax forms, clearance for a background check and filling out a direct deposit form(with my bank account numbers and all).

That was just over two weeks ago; they haven't called back since....

I feel you man. I was promised a position paying $15 per hour. Kelly Services sent me a debit card, welcoming package, and the whole nine yards. She told me that I would start on a certain date. When that date came, I went in and she pulled me aside and said that that could not start me until my fingerprint work came back. I went back and they said that the finderprint work was back but all the positions were filled. Mind you I had dropped one of my required courses in order to take the job. This will set me back a good little ways in school. I even lost some financial aid because I was not considered full-time anymore. By the way, if there is an attorney out there who see a little fraud being committed here. . . . . .

Mike

Reply - Report abuse

Chris in East Aurora, New York

69 months ago

I just went to one yesterday who had NO CLUE on how to interview a tech person for a tech job! She graduated with an associates in Business and that's it. No HR experience. I think she was looking for more leads on where their company can get into (my previous employers do not accept temp agencies infiltrating their work places). She couldn't use email to contact me, gave me her email address on my voice mail (instead of just following up with an email), couldn't understand my computer degree, couldn't understand that you have to do tech support with a computer to help someone with connectivity issues on the internet ... the list goes on and on. I spent more time explaining basic computer terms than her asking me about my skills. Then she went on to tell me that I need to purchase new interview clothes by going to DOTS??? (I was recently laid off after working 6 years at 2 separate companies and wore the same type of outfit when acquiring those jobs with direct interviews - no temp agency). So never mind what my tech skills are, having a BUTTON DOWN shirt and wearing black pants was the most important to her. I should mention, her button down shirt showed cleavage. I also went to their company facebook page and the employees had pictures up that you would NOT want on your page if you were looking for a job. The president of the division has so many pictures revealing her cleavage it's ridiculous!

Reply - Report abuse

Payless in Tomball, Texas

64 months ago

I worked for Kelly and over a month they have not paid me. They keep giving me the run around. This was a temp contract for two weeks. Does any one know of a way to make them pay?

Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Take them to the Labor Board!

Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Mike in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I feel you man. I was promised a position paying $15 per hour. Kelly Services sent me a debit card, welcoming package, and the whole nine yards. She told me that I would start on a certain date. When that date came, I went in and she pulled me aside and said that that could not start me until my fingerprint work came back. I went back and they said that the finderprint work was back but all the positions were filled. Mind you I had dropped one of my required courses in order to take the job. This will set me back a good little ways in school. I even lost some financial aid because I was not considered full-time anymore. By the way, if there is an attorney out there who see a little fraud being committed here. . . . . .

Mike

Micky D is that you? I've been following the complaints on Kelly so that I can gather enough evidence complaints to finalize the nailling of their coffin. I guess great mines think alike whey they think they are alone.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

summerteeth in North Hollywood, California said: if you can't find a job on your own, what makes you think your recruiter can do it?

Then they should stop representing themselves as being able to. It is called false advertising. And congratulations on YOUR ability to land a job.

Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Then they should stop representing themselves as being able to do so. I mean come on...really? No one forces them to lie to applicants. Their agenda is obvious. Therefore, there punishment should be. May the crime fit the punishment in the name .... of the most powerful name on the planet Earth JESUS. Because this act is deliberate infliction of emotion distress. It is called false advertising and misrepresentation!. Oh, and by the way, congratulations on "YOUR" ability to land a job. It is not always what you know, but who you know.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

alps in Sacramento, California

63 months ago

Uhhh, hello???? Temp agencies have inside contacts and have accounts/companies that they regularly work with. They have the first-hand knowledge of jobs that are coming up, especially temp/short-term jobs which you will not find posted anywhere or you will not know about. Some companies ONLY go through temp agencies. So they are more likely to get you a job than if you were to look yourself.

Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Ah....Hello to you? This comment was so simple minded I almost did not reply. This is common knowledge. The issue is, leave people alone or reemburse them for gas. Stop lying to people, promising them jobs, sending them debit cards and such trifling things as that. These people could be looking elsewhere. No one question their ability to find jobs. They are in business. That's obvious. Uhhh. Good-bye?

Reply - Report abuse

bizpro in Denver, Colorado

59 months ago

Engineering professionals usually understand how contingency recruiters work. The recruiter opens the door to the hiring manager, but as a candidate, it is our job to close for the next step in the hiring process. I found that the recruiters working for Kelly are of a lower caliber. They are not familiar with technology in the industry that they are working in, and have a lack of integrity. That lack of integrity means the norm is to string candidates along, compromise your confidentiality to get another lead, do things that are such a turn off to an employer that it pollutes your chances, etc. What a shame, because as a temp, I enjoyed my assignments and was very happy with Kelly. But I'll never trust them with any information or a hiring process again.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

joanne in Durham, United Kingdom

58 months ago

i need help i dont know what the agencies are for got told i had to sign up plz help

Reply - Report abuse

janyladvik in Chicago, Illinois

50 months ago

joanne in Durham, United Kingdom said: i need help i dont know what the agencies are for got told i had to sign up plz help

You do not "have" to do anything.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.