Worse Company Ever

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 106)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

John Grant in Eagle Mountain, Utah

81 months ago

Kelly Services is a for profit company. They operate in a free market where the market sets the price. Like any for profit company they seek to maximize their profits. However, they can only make as much as their clients are willing to pay. Exactly what that amount is is not only none of your business, it ‘s not at all germane to the question of what your skills are worth.

The staffing agency is not working for you. They are your customer and they determine what they will pay for your skills. If what they want to pay you is not acceptable to you then you are free to sell your skills to someone else. However, if they are willing to pay you $16.00 an hour to do work that the next company is willing to pay you $14.00 an hour for then what difference does it make to you what they charge their client?

If a wholesaler buys a product from a manufacturer and then resells that product to a retailer for twice as much, does the manufacture scream that they are being cheated. No they don't. They got the price they asked for and what the wholesaler does with it is their business. If the manufacturer doesn't like the arrangement, then they are free to try and cut out the wholesaler and deal with the retailer themselves. But then they have the headache of dealing with hundreds of retailers instead of one wholesaler. In case you missed it, I just described the staffing industry to you. Staffing agencies are wholesalers and deal with hundreds of employers. You are free to go around the staffing agency and deal with those employers directly, but many employers prefer to deal with a staffing agency because the staffing agency guarantees that, if you don't work out, they will find someone else who does at no extra charge. If the employer deals with you directly then, when you don't work out, they will have to start all over from scratch trying to find someone else who will.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Littleton, Colorado

81 months ago

You are free to go around the staffing agency and deal with those employers directly, but many employers prefer to deal with a staffing agency because the staffing agency guarantees that, if you don't work out, they will find someone else who does at no extra charge. If the employer deals with you directly then, when you don't work out, they will have to start all over from scratch trying to find someone else who will.

I believe companies who regularly use staffing agencies either: 1) have many low level jobs with high turnover ) have an internal problem like a "bad boss" or something akin.

Companies with good jobs have no need to use agencies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly Osler in Canton, Ohio

81 months ago

Anne in Littleton, Colorado said: You are free to go around the staffing agency and deal with those employers directly, but many employers prefer to deal with a staffing agency because the staffing agency guarantees that, if you don't work out, they will find someone else who does at no extra charge. If the employer deals with you directly then, when you don't work out, they will have to start all over from scratch trying to find someone else who will.

I believe companies who regularly use staffing agencies either: 1) have many low level jobs with high turnover ) have an internal problem like a "bad boss" or something akin.

Companies with good jobs have no need to use agencies.

Whats with this comment....HA HA HA!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly Osler in Canton, Ohio

81 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Continued from above....

Finally, a year ago a Half recruiter kept bugging me by e-mail. I didn't answer her e-mails at first. Then I answered that I don't deal with recruiters. That should have ended it. It didn't. She bugged me again. I finally wrote her a sentence that recruiters have lied to me, been rude to me and have reneged on their "promises" - exactly as I have written here. She came back with how she was "not like other headhunters" and that such people give their business a bad name. Of course she wasn't - it's always the other recruiter who is "like that." I complimented her on her persistence.

John: "As for the issue of being charged by a recruiter, if the employer fires you, this is indeed irregular but not unheard of."

I don't think that practice is as irregular as you may think. Just look at this Better Business Bureau piece on agencies. I think you will appreciate its discussion.

www.bbb.org/Alerts/article.asp?ID=268

Once again, thanks for your candor, but I think I'll just apply to employers directly.

Thanks for the Link, extremely helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DS54 in Port Clinton, Ohio

74 months ago

I agree with this being a not so favorable company. I worked for them several years ago and for some time here and there. When I didn't like assignments or left them, it was frowned upon and when I left to return to school, I suspect they have been giving me a negative reference. I also believe all temp agencies share info so if you have trouble or leave one on bad terms, then the others will not pick you up. I do not list them as previous employment anymore, yet somehow other places still become aware of it, so they must have it out there somewhere where other companies have access to it. I would not recommend working for this company or any other temp agency as basically they are all the same: to make a profit and for the employer, not the employee, which they seem to consider as merely something to use and throw away if they cannot use again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lidsavr in Wheeling, Illinois

60 months ago

I think Kelly Services is the worst company I've ever worked for because the office I worked for has misrepresented itself several times. The first before I took a job with them, by telling me that the employer they wanted me to work for frequently hired their temps. I found that in the past six years of hiring many Kelly temps, they had only hired once and that was someone who was a distant relative of a manager. I took the job after being on unemployment for 2-1/2 months hoping my performance would earn me an interview - I never had a chance, and neither did anyone else. I finished the six month contract. In Illinois where I live, if you have a previous claim that is less than 12 months old and you return to unemployment, you go back under your old claim, so after Kelly, I filed and was given unemployment for another 3-1/2 months. I kept looking for work and have a lengthy work search record, and when my claim expired I was granted a new claim, based on my work during the six month contract with Kelly. Then and only then did they offer me another job (more than 25 miles away from where I live) at a very low rate in comparison to what I usually get for the type of work that I do. I could not afford to travel that far, pay for expensive gasoline, work 8 hours a day and still be able to search for a permanent job, so they filed a stop payment claim against me pending an investigation. I have a hearing in a couple of weeks. I feel confident because of my documented work search record, but they low balled me with a ridiculous offer and then filed against me tells me the type of company that they really are. It doesn't matter if you complete a contract with them; they are telling the unemployment office that I have not contacted THEM since leaving. I never want to work for Kelly Services again. I write this as a warning to anyone considering working for Kelly Services that in my opinion they have not acted in integrity with me. Good luck if you decide to work for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TempUser in Cordova, Tennessee

53 months ago

A friend of mine went into the Memphis Nike/Kelly Temporary Agency and met with the agent. The agent gave my friend some wierd feelings, so after she left, she went online and searched the woman's name. The findings were shocking! The employee was the subject of case law in which she had committed fraud on the bankruptcy court and they found her guilty of this charge. Fraud!!!!! How could a company such as this hire an employee that is in charge of people's lives when she has been proven to be a liar? My friend called back and asked a different agent to remove her application. She won't ever go back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bodrey in Brantford, Ontario

51 months ago

Temp agencies need to be outlawed. There was a time when they were being used as intended but that has long since passed. Now the industry is rife with abuse - companies staffing their whole production facilities with temps, all with no intention of hiring any of them on a permanent basis. Cheap labour, no benefits, no job security or protection. Wages being kept artifically low because companies are allowed to keep temp employees indefinitely without being required to hire them, recycling temps... this has to be stopped. I'm butting heads with my local Kelly office right now. Being cheated out of wages on a current assignment. BTW, I'm from Canada and the situation here is no better than it is down there. They're just as unscrupulous in the far north than they are in the USA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

I think people should stop using temp services. Boycott them. I realize times are tough but you'll just be used and thrown away. Current employment practices need to change, especially with temp agencies and if you go along just to make a few bucks or get by, you are enabling them to keep using you as a resource for them to make money. Many employers are robbing people of their dignity and certainly do not respect the average worker. Why are we putting up with this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

temp-user in Cordova, Tennessee

51 months ago

Follow-up to the agent in Memphis. Not only was she the subject of case law, where her name will forever be cemented into the law books, she told Kelly that she had a doctorate in Psychology and she had not even passed two years of college. WHATTTTTTTTTT???????? Don't they check the references of their employees?

I need to change my user name to ex-kelly-temp-user.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jerry in Hilliard, Ohio

51 months ago

It is unfortunate that many people only scratch the service to the realities. In many industries (i.e. IT) have contract jobs. "Temporary" or "Contingent" jobs do have advantages and drawbacks. But is very bold and reckless to suggest the end of an industry that is a major employer in our country. If you can't understand why there are staffing firms, talk to an HR Manager at a company that uses the agencies. They can explain the huge benefits it provides to the company and to the company's internal employees.

In all industry you'll find that companies perform poorly to their (supplier/candidates) and to their (customers/businesses).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jsischo68@yahoo.com in Pinckney, Michigan

50 months ago

Don't make the mistake of working for Kelly Services. If there is the slightest problem they will hang you out to dry and they lie to unemployment. I had a great lawyer who tore up their representative, Kristian. They are a horrible company that DOES NOT have your interests at heart, but those of their 'client', in this case Dow Chemical.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kk in Baltimore, Maryland

47 months ago

BT in Las Vegas, Nevada said: As soon as I moved to Vegas I was totally broke and desperate for work, so I made the big mistake of going to Kelly. They hooked me up with a job at the Welfare office... which was the worst job I've ever had in my life. It was such an unsafe place to work--there was like gang bangers coming in there all the time and the security guard was 90 years old. I was the only worker at the front desk and I was swamped with all these ghetto people calling me on the phone and all these ghetto people standing in front of the desk and staring at me. All my co-workers were total scumbags and treated me like dirt. My boss liked to take out her problems on me. On top of it, Kelly was only paying me 10 dollars an hour to work at this awful place...while in reality the value of the work I did was about 20 dollars an hour. They were stealing half my paycheck every week. When I called them and told them this job sucked and I wanted a different one, they gave me the biggest attitude and talked to me like I was some loser for not wanting to work there anymore. They never called me for anything else after this.

This is temp. work. Kelly has worked well for me. I am sorry for your troubles. Try another office or re-apply, the staff may have changed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

GoodTimes in Las Vegas, Nevada

46 months ago

The Mike Ferry Organization is the the WORST place to work in Las Vegas. They interview you saying you will do one job then you get there and its something totally different. It's family owned and run like a dictatorship. The owners kids are in upper level positions and from what I know at least one of them reads, writes and spells like a 5th grader at best. They treat their vendors horribly also. The work atmosphere is like a CULT. If the wife (President of the company) doesn't like you then you're OUT of there. Everyone has to walk around smiling and pretending to be happy or you WILL be fired. It is very structured EVERYONE has to be a work at the same time, go to break at the same time, go to lunch at the same time and go home at the same time (except for owners kids). When I left one of them hadn't been to work for a full day in at least 6 months.They have a NO Cellphone policy also. Not just the normal NO cellphone policy either. You can't even have it on silent. They want it OFF for the ENTIRE day even on your breaks!! In this day and age is that even legal? <kidding> I do think it's unrealistic to as adults with lives OUTSIDE of the PRISON to be out of contact for 8 hrs a day. Again this rule is for everyone EXCEPT for the owners kids. The wife (president) has to approve EVERYTHING talking micromanagement to the HIGHEST power! If you have a Dr's appt your boss can't approve, HR director can't approve they have to go to the President! If you need to leave 10min early for an emergency they have to call the president of the company! It's CRAZY!! The ONLY good thing is that they pay decent. However based on the PRISON like atmoshphere they do NOT pay enough!!!! If they call you RUN RUN RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN! I wish I could say I am making this all up but unfortunately it's 100% true! The turnover rate is HIGH!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

beechnut79 in Elmhurst, Illinois

42 months ago

State Employment Worker in Millbury, Ohio said: Please do not judge my spelling, and I am well over 50 (reference some of the above comments).

There are some companies, that use temporary agencies, and the only way to get your foot in the door is through a temp agency. Are some people abused, of course they are, but I know a few companies that hires a "temp" after a satisfactory probation period. Ask around and find out where the temp agency places their people and what is the likelihood of getting hired full time. Good luck.

It does seem more and more as if going through a staffing agency is about the only way to find work unless you are exceptionally well-connected, which I am not. But doing so is also a vehicle through which the companies can play a lot of mind games and be able to evade responsibility. Gossip sometimes does have an element of truth to it, but I believe I was the victim of a malicious plot but have never been able to set the record straight. Just hope that sometime before my life is over I will get the opportunity to prove that ferreting out fact from fantasy will be within my grasp. Have written manuscript for book loosely based on this incident.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

K. M. K. in Baltimore, Maryland

42 months ago

laura in Redwood City, California said: I was not happy at my current job, however, it was not so bad were I needed to jump ship immidiatly. Kelly Financial promised me a position at Clorox as a Payroll Admin, with a promising future. I met the Kelly Recruiter at a coffee shop because he was so desperate to place me. Not realzing the scam.... They have a in house Kelly recruiter onsite at Clorox, and they bring people in left and right. I lasted 2 days, and was asked to leave with no explanation at all. They never contacted me, except I used my maiden name on my new resume and they called me for the same frigin job, not realizig who I was. This company is a Joke!

Your experience was frustrating. Will you apply for other assignments? Every assignment is not always a good fit. Re-apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Katherine in San Diego, California

39 months ago

Kelly Services (Mission Valley) in San Diego, CA is one of the worst staffing firms to ever work for. As a temp, they had me complete lots of paperwork, tests and interviews for totally worthless jobs. In fact, they were not even jobs -- but leftover duties that regular employees refused to do.

The last straw was when they sent me on this "Medical Insurance" job. Like most placement firms, they OVERSELL the name of the company, job title, etc just to make you show up for the jobsite. When I showed for this job, it was CHAOS: other temps were quitting, a bunch of yacking female employees, broken chairs, bad parking, computers that did not work, etc. That was it for me! I worked one day then returned to Kelly's office and TOLD them don't send me back until their client had her act together. And I went home.

Well, the next day I get a call from a woman calling herself a Kelly supervisor (she was really nothing more than a sales closer) trying to make me return back to the worksite. I reiterated my position. Then she kept telling me about how great the firm is and what a great person Terri (onsite supervisor) is, etc. Only one problem -- Kelly Supervisor referred to Terri has a he/him. So I called the Kelly supervisor a "liar because Terri is a FEMALE!" Then I hung up on her while she was still talking.

Would you believe the next day, these fools at Kelly left me a voicemail telling me to call them back to "discuss" this issue? I never called back. Since then, I have received 2 or 3 notices from attorneys who are involved in class actions against Kelly Services for some of their unethical-illegal employment practices. I hope Kelly loses every lawsuit filed against them. Thanks for reading my rant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

jason kuziej in Cleveland, Ohio

39 months ago

kelly services is a poor excuse for a temp service my brother is a member they keep calling him they called him at least 6 times with job leads that go nowhere he asks where they are and there like let me call back some other time he said what for just tell me now and i talked to them i told them to not call in unless you actualy have job ready for him all these job leads end up completely dry plus no truth to them they are known for getting there info mixed up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

also my brother worked for gracery store he actualy got this job directly with no temp service at all but he onyl worked there for 3 weeks he was also claiming unemployment you can get unemployment as long as the job is just part time he still had another year to go for unemployment but this supervisor in his department he worked overnight stock job and the main store manager said he was doing good job he had no problem with him and the so called poor excuse of a supervisor kept harassing him and riding him the whole time i told my brother to go to the store manager he dcided to quit instead wich was a stupid move on my brother part and he lost his unemployment now he tryed appeal hes supposed to have a hearing in the phone where you call in i highly doubt he can get it back since he quit his job but i was told if the employer lied about anything it might be different story in my brother benefit

39 months ago

jason kuziej in Cleveland, Ohio said: also my brother worked for gracery store he actualy got this job directly with no temp service at all but he onyl worked there for 3 weeks he was also claiming unemployment you can get unemployment as long as the job is just part time he still had another year to go for unemployment but this supervisor in his department he worked overnight stock job and the main store manager said he was doing good job he had no problem with him and the so called poor excuse of a supervisor kept harassing him and riding him the whole time i told my brother to go to the store manager he dcided to quit instead wich was a stupid move on my brother part and he lost his unemployment now he tryed appeal hes supposed to have a hearing in the phone where you call in i highly doubt he can get it back since he quit his job but i was told if the employer lied about anything it might be different story in my brother benefit

reason im replying to my own post is the word gracery is supposed to be grocery

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

K.M.K. in Baltimore, Maryland

38 months ago

Use this company's resources to advance your career. It is a temp. company. With this economy, consider yourself blessed to have any employment at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Your comment is very ignorant in the fact that your attitude is how temp services use and get over on people. They use you, throw you away, record unsubstantiated and untrue comments from their 'clients' and you can be labeled as a 'bad' employee if you quit or refuse an assignment or otherwise don't live up to their 'standards'. They may help a few people (very few) further their 'careers' but overall they just use people to fill jobs other people don't want because the jobs are lousy. They badmouth and blacklist former employees for not keeping these temporary jobs all the while stating 'you can work as little or as much as you want to'. What a joke. If you don't like the job or anything about it and say so, they pretty much don't care and tell you they have nothing else; take it or leave it. The economy is the way it is because employers expect fewer people to do their work and for less pay. Employees, temporary or otherwise, should have more rights. Employers are the only ones that have any rights and they misuse them. Employment at will means people can be fired at the whim of some temporary manager or because the boss has decided they don't like you anymore. Be grateful for a temp job? Nope. I'd rather panhandle and I'd probably make much more money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jason in Cleveland, Ohio

38 months ago

DS54 in Port Clinton, Ohio said: Your comment is very ignorant in the fact that your attitude is how temp services use and get over on people. They use you, throw you away, record unsubstantiated and untrue comments from their 'clients' and you can be labeled as a 'bad' employee if you quit or refuse an assignment or otherwise don't live up to their 'standards'. They may help a few people (very few) further their 'careers' but overall they just use people to fill jobs other people don't want because the jobs are lousy. They badmouth and blacklist former employees for not keeping these temporary jobs all the while stating 'you can work as little or as much as you want to'. What a joke. If you don't like the job or anything about it and say so, they pretty much don't care and tell you they have nothing else; take it or leave it. The economy is the way it is because employers expect fewer people to do their work and for less pay. Employees, temporary or otherwise, should have more rights. Employers are the only ones that have any rights and they misuse them. Employment at will means people can be fired at the whim of some temporary manager or because the boss has decided they don't like you anymore. Be grateful for a temp job? Nope. I'd rather panhandle and I'd probably make much more money.

i agree whole heartedly this econamy is screwed up because rich people are not paying up they are getting richer by the day and people like me are getting more poorer my mom died last year and i lost her dissability check 700 bucks of income lost my brother is unemployed some comapnies have lied to him when they said they would call him for an interview and never did kelly services is the worst temp agency in history

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

beechnut79 in Villa Park, Illinois

38 months ago

In response to DS54's post, I am beginning to think freelancing may be the way to go as we seem to live more and more in a time when peace and quiet is coveted although it seems hard to come by. For me at least the frustration which resulted from my brief tenure with the Kelly job has nearly drove me to the edge. And while we all know that employment at will does work the other way around as well, there usually is a vast difference when one is fired from a job as opposed to leaving on their own. I had to keep repeating my side of the case over and over so those dear ones could follow. But it was to no avail. I went up the chain of command till I talked to one man from the corporate office who said he was a mediator but didn't seem to want to mediate anything. After almost three years I have still have not been afforded the opportunity to set record straight. I believe this is a saga which requires further investigation but have been shut out of the process. Digging under the surface would be right up the alley here, and haven't ruled out the possibility of getting at least a private investigator if I can afford the cost. May have to let him/her do the digging as nobody else has had the balls to come forward. My book loosely based on this episode is being published and should be available in June. The story has a touch of mystery and this is a case I believe would require an in-depth examination before a resolution can be sought.

I tried to PM you but am not sure this forum is set up for that. I don't know if forum allows to post personal emails and/or facebook info. But you may advise me and would love for you to get and read the book once it comes out. But I don't blame Kelly in entirety--as a matter of fact most should fall onto the client company because a staffing agency has to do what the client companies tell them to. My gripe with Kelly is that they did not support me and listen to my side the way I feel they should have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

DS54 in Port Clinton, Ohio said: Your comment is very ignorant in the fact that your attitude is how temp services use and get over on people. They use you, throw you away, record unsubstantiated and untrue comments from their 'clients' and you can be labeled as a 'bad' employee if you quit or refuse an assignment or otherwise don't live up to their 'standards'. They may help a few people (very few) further their 'careers' but overall they just use people to fill jobs other people don't want because the jobs are lousy. They badmouth and blacklist former employees for not keeping these temporary jobs all the while stating 'you can work as little or as much as you want to'. What a joke. If you don't like the job or anything about it and say so, they pretty much don't care and tell you they have nothing else; take it or leave it. The economy is the way it is because employers expect fewer people to do their work and for less pay. Employees, temporary or otherwise, should have more rights. Employers are the only ones that have any rights and they misuse them. Employment at will means people can be fired at the whim of some temporary manager or because the boss has decided they don't like you anymore. Be grateful for a temp job? Nope. I'd rather panhandle and I'd probably make much more money.

What about the employess that temping works for? Shouldn't someone make up his mind, based on his experience? For someone recently out of college, under employed or un-employed, isn't it worth a try? Are you suggesting that everyone steer clear of Kelly, because it is that bad? I am interested in your outlook on this.
Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Yes, I think Kelly and all other temp agencies are that bad. They might work for some people who don't mind taking crappy assignments and won't complain but overall, the jobs offered are jobs others do not want with clients that don't care about their employees. If a client says anything negative about the temp, those comments will remain public knowledge to other prospective employees. I think these places should be put out of business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

I would be very interested in reading your book and hearing your story. If more of us got together about the abuses of temp agencies against temp employees, perhaps we could get a voice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

beechnut79 in Villa Park, Illinois

38 months ago

DS54; There are two sides to the temp industry. A lot of companies supposedly hire temps out of agencies so they don't have to pay benefits for jobs that are not expect to last a long time. For many years I chose this route because I desired more flexibility than you usually get with so-called permanent employment. Of course we all know that nothing is that "permanent" these days. And the arrangement worked OK for a time. Where I think agencies could do better is to listen to both sides of the story better, which they certainly did not do in my case,as I previously mentioned.

I do believe that the super tight job market has given them more of an excuse to act in a mercenary sort of way, but many permanent employers play the same mind games. And the reason they do so is because most of us, when something happens, just accept that it is what it is and do not bother to fight back. Yet they know they have the law on their side, and it won't change until people begin to fight back. How come they did a much better job of this way back around the 1890's when there were no safety nets such as unemployment insurance?

38 months ago

DS54 in Port Clinton, Ohio said: Yes, I think Kelly and all other temp agencies are that bad. They might work for some people who don't mind taking crappy assignments and won't complain but overall, the jobs offered are jobs others do not want with clients that don't care about their employees. If a client says anything negative about the temp, those comments will remain public knowledge to other prospective employees. I think these places should be put out of business.

Thanks, for your reply. I understand what you are telling us. Over the weekend, I thought about some of the options that you mentioned, for example, panhandling. A person may have a disability, not feel safe around traffic or in general, the weather may be below freezing... things that preclude a person from using that as an option.
When I mentioned using the resources of Kelly, I had recently discovered that you can take various software classes online.
Do you have any other thoughts that may be of some help to someone in the above situations? Why do you think these companies should be put out of business? I aminterested in your thoughts on this.

38 months ago

DS54 in Port Clinton, Ohio said: Perhaps I wasn't clear and I meant to say that temp services make notations from their clients about your performance, etc and share those comments with other places you apply for work. If you had a negative experience or quit or a manager made an incorrect assumption about you and reported it back to the service, those comments are always on file, possibly online for other companies to access. Temp services want you to always be available to accept an assignment but if you don't like it they don't care. If there are any issues, they don't really want to hear about them. They are interested only in making money for themselves. They do not care about the employee. I think another better option for someone is to start their own business: flea market sales, crafts, babysitting, working out of your home selling any service utilizing the skills you have. Depending on what you do for a living, you could make more working for yourself.

Now, I understand. Those are viable solutions. How would a person start that process- websites...?

beechnut79 in Downers Grove, Illinois

38 months ago

DS54 in Port Clinton, Ohio said: Perhaps I wasn't clear and I meant to say that temp services make notations from their clients about your performance, etc and share those comments with other places you apply for work. If you had a negative experience or quit or a manager made an incorrect assumption about you and reported it back to the service, those comments are always on file, possibly online for other companies to access. Temp services want you to always be available to accept an assignment but if you don't like it they don't care. If there are any issues, they don't really want to hear about them. They are interested only in making money for themselves. They do not care about the employee. I think another better option for someone is to start their own business: flea market sales, crafts, babysitting, working out of your home selling any service utilizing the skills you have. Depending on what you do for a living, you could make more working for yourself.

In my case I did not put my experience there on my resume figuring I could get away with it as the job lasted about three and a half months. In the succeeding months there were jobs I was offered through other staffing agencies but was told they fell through when I called them back. Could this be a sign of blacklisting, meaning they can find out where you were even not sharing it on resume? But not everyone has the talent for running their own business. If everyone did, wouldn't there still be an abundance of mom and pop pharmacies, book and music stores, etc?

Getting back to my story, I learned that my state is one where I am entitled to access to my employee file. But when I finally did get it there was a letter attahced signed by an attorney accusing me of harassing the employees at the local office although the ONLY reason I went there was to exercise my right. The file they sent me was all cleaned out so anything I could have used against anyone was not there.

38 months ago

Ah, well you see then, what they do. I agree, starting a business is not an easy task and to keep it running is difficult as well, but there has to be some other way to survive than to put up with the crap from most employers nowadays. Far too many just grin and bear it because they have to, but where there's a will, there's a way to make money on your own or on the side or whatever. Likely if they are noting the attorney's letter in your file, they are sharing that with prospective employers as well. Hopefully, you can find a solution to generate income that works for you and doesn't require the temp service references.

38 months ago

Many work at home moms nowadays have blogs and make money testing and promoting products. Online there are many resources on how to set one up and there are books on the subject too. I am in the process of checking those out myself. Also, the all have contests you can enter too. Check out online-sweepstakes.com for examples. Blogger.com has options and tutorials to help you set up a blog as does WordPress. Some things are free, some has nominal costs. Another option: consignment shops.

Educated One in Fox Lake, Illinois

33 months ago

Ria in Reno, Nevada said: Hi

I just happen to browse this site by chance & I read all these remarks about accounttempts & Kelly financial services . I just did a skill test last week with account temps but after reading everybody's comments I don't think I have to look forward to a call from them. Now I have a skill test for a particular opening with kelly financial service tomorrow do u think I am wasting my time going there.
Thank you
Ria

Yes! I think you may be wasting your time. They do not help people.

Upset in Fox Lake, Illinois

33 months ago

Yes! I think you are wasting your time. They do not help people. The biggest problem with Kelly Financial Services is that they are not contacting businesses and doing mass mailings to potential clients. They do not tell you that they are contacting potential clients on your behalf, and they do not think to gather up some suggested companies you would like to work at. One thing I think they are doing is taking your information and updating their system with your prior employments address, telephone and contact names.

Take care,
Upset

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Springfield, Illinois

32 months ago

I'm currently working for Kelly at a temp position with a great pay rate. I can't say anything against them. They're a temp agency and they're working for their customers. The employees are the commodity and it's important to remember that it's a temporary position.

Sure, there exists a chance that once in awhile, a person may be hired to FT, but if you aren't qualified, it probably won't happen. I wouldn't expect to hire someone who wasn't qualified, so why should I expect someone else to make an exception for me?

I'm just happy to be making money well above min. wage plus overtime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Springfield, Illinois

32 months ago

DS54 in Port Clinton, Ohio said: Yes, I think Kelly and all other temp agencies are that bad. They might work for some people who don't mind taking crappy assignments and won't complain but overall, the jobs offered are jobs others do not want with clients that don't care about their employees. If a client says anything negative about the temp, those comments will remain public knowledge to other prospective employees. I think these places should be put out of business .

That's where you're wrong- the temp agency doesn't "work for you," you work for them. The client is their customer and you are the temp, or the commodity.

It's temping, not long-term employment. You can bulk up your resume substantially by being a good temp.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Obviously you didn't get my gist: a temp agency 'works for some people' meaning it's a viable short term option. I know that temp agencies don't 'work for' their temps-that's what everyone here is saying. They are all about making money for themselves and keeping their clients happy for repeat business. You may as well keep temping as your reading comprehension is not very good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Upset in Ingleside, Illinois

31 months ago

What a joke. Don't waste your time with this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sammy in Johannesburg, South Africa

30 months ago

hi there i need someone help if it is there,and i beliver it is there i have bookkeeping diploma, and i have worked few compans dowing cater caputring,,administration,municipal feild co-odinator,and now i am in the call centre company, the problem with the job is that it just strating and it has problems with fanacial and i am also in that problem of fanacial problem i need a job that can pay me some salary it does not metter what the job is i will do it please help

your
samson
or as people call me
sammy

Upset in Ingleside, Illinois

30 months ago

M H in Bronx, New York said: Kelly is useless

I'm beginning to feel the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

beechnut79 in Elmhurst, Illinois

30 months ago

DS54 in Port Clinton, Ohio said: Perhaps I wasn't clear and I meant to say that temp services make notations from their clients about your performance, etc and share those comments with other places you apply for work. If you had a negative experience or quit or a manager made an incorrect assumption about you and reported it back to the service, those comments are always on file, possibly online for other companies to access. Temp services want you to always be available to accept an assignment but if you don't like it they don't care. If there are any issues, they don't really want to hear about them. They are interested only in making money for themselves. They do not care about the employee. I think another better option for someone is to start their own business : flea market sales, crafts, babysitting, working out of your home selling any service utilizing the skills you have. Depending on what you do for a living, you could make more working for yourself.

I am here to tell you that my book inspired by my expierience is now out, and has been for a while. Sorry I didn't get around to informing you sooner. JUDAS TIMES SEVEN, published by Author House, is a story of greed, betrayal and jealousy set in the modern workplace where office politics and political correctness trump reason. When Bruce, the story's male lead, develops an attraction for Janice, his lead person on the job and the story's female lead, he is unware of the magnitude of this chance situation. Over the coming days there are mixed trends, and Bruce even suspects that Janice may have an attraction toward him as well. On his end passion and intensity run strong and clear and are capable of upsetting the balance, which is exactly what happens when Bruce decides it is time to come clean. Thinking it would help clear the air, the exact opposite happens as jealousy, obsession and possessiveness would emerge between Janice and those trying to undo Bruce, who sadly succeed.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

30 months ago

beechnut79 in Elmhurst, Illinois said: I am here to tell you that my book inspired by my expierience is now out, and has been for a while. Sorry I didn't get around to informing you sooner. JUDAS TIMES SEVEN, published by Author House, is a story of greed, betrayal and jealousy set in the modern workplace where office politics and political correctness trump reason. When Bruce, the story's male lead, develops an attraction for Janice, his lead person on the job and the story's female lead, he is unware of the magnitude of this chance situation. Over the coming days there are mixed trends, and Bruce even suspects that Janice may have an attraction toward him as well. On his end passion and intensity run strong and clear and are capable of upsetting the balance, which is exactly what happens when Bruce decides it is time to come clean. Thinking it would help clear the air, the exact opposite happens as jealousy, obsession and possessiveness would emerge between Janice and those trying to undo Bruce, who sadly succeed.

So it's a happy ending for you Brian. The money will start to roll in. Women will follow along with the mansion and the butler.

NO work in Windsor Locks, Connecticut

28 months ago

Ken in Denver, Colorado said: You have a perfectly legitimate excuse then to tell your next employer why you left -- it was AN UNSAFE AND DANGEROUS environment.

Kelly will refer any calls for references to their main headquarters who will ONLY GIVE dates of employment, titles, pay rates.

How do you know they wont bad mouth someone with their lies if someone calls for a reference? I was fired, because they were "mean girls," in the office. I have a paper trail to prove this, but the bottom line is, I dont trust them. They were manipulative and disengenuious.

ksnider in Troy, New York

27 months ago

Al in Bloomington, Illinois said: I don't understand some people who come to these sites sometimes. Most people can give you a feel for how it is to work at certain companies; however, some people seem to visit these sites with their only intention being to ridicule others for misspelling a word or two. I mean really, you aren't contributing anything to the discussion other than pointing out that you are over 50 and out of work, thank you for your keen insights. Do you have anything else to add to the discussion regarding Kelly Services , or do you want to keep pilling on this poor girl who had a bad experience with what seems to be a very bad company to work for?

I concur! The more I think about it... the more I think that the hundred or so of us over 50 in the Albany NY area are being discriminated against because of age.
Really, I guess "Abercrombie" or "Victoria's Secret" model looks are more important than aptitude and attitude>

formerkellytempworker in Saint Louis, Missouri

27 months ago

If you ever need assistance with getting your last paycheck or if you think you were shorted on your last paycheck call 1-866-4-USWAGE (www.dol.gov). Always contact the Department of Labor and know your labor rights! It is unlawful for you to not receive your last paycheck or be shorted on your hourly wage.

Genny Berges in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida

24 months ago

I have had nothing but great experiences with Kelly Service. I am still listed with them although I work a full time job. These people are wonderful. I have nothing but great things to say about the Kelly Service office in Ft. Walton Beach, FL. These are kind, hard working, and caring people who love matching people with companies and helping people get back to work.

Remember Kelly Service is a franchise company, and not every franchise has the same owner.

Thank you Meredith Painter and Sharon Adams for making my experience with Kelly Service a great one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Deb in Ocala, Florida

19 months ago

After looking at their job site I immediately started getting calls from colleges.
NOT INTERESTED.

misha in Lowell, Michigan

19 months ago

I was employed by Kelly to work at Dow in Midland, MI and I was their number one processor for months. I was then accused of having an affair by a Dow employee that actually was having an affair with another Dow employee. I was then called into the office where there was a Dow Department Supervisor and a Kelly rep and told I was having an affair (which was a huge surprise to me) and I was told my contract would not be renewed. Six months later they fought me for my unemployment, I fought back and they lost.

misha in Lowell, Michigan

19 months ago

I'm waiting for a class action suit to be filed against Kelly & Dow.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.