How to get a job at Kelly Services.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 112)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Just Me in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

88 months ago

One more thing: You don't have to tell Kelly you're listed with anyone else. That is none of their business. They are not the only agency in town. If you have caller ID, check the number when someone calls. If it's Kelly, maybe you don't want to talk with them right now. You are not their property.

If you do have a conflict in times, tell the person you're already scheduled for that time. Be confident and in control of your time.

See if you can use someone at last job as a reference - not Kelly rep. This may be a bit tricky. Hopefully you have one person you can count on. Point being, if you don't trust Kelly, you don't want another agency calling Kelly for a reference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dawn in Texas in Fort Worth, Texas

87 months ago

Thank you so very much, Just Me in Fuquay. I shared your reply with my daughter, after reading it she turned down one of the jobs Kelly offered (it was an hour drive) and she is now out giving out applications to anything she comes across. Thank you again for sharing your experience with me. Have a Blessed Day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Small Town near Big Town in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

87 months ago

Just a word of caution, if you daughter is still going for the unemployment, tell her to BE SURE to document when she talked with Kelly (who, what date/time, position, etc.) and exactly why she turned a job down. An hour commute, as far as I know, is a totally acceptable reason to turn down a job. However, Kelly may report that she refused the job - two TOTALLY different things. She needs to be document everything she can, even if it's on 3 x 5 cards with agency name and notes, an excel sheet, whatever. This is critical when she follows up for unemployment and she wants to be organized when someone returns the call.

Also, tell her to get her resume on the web - at indeed.com, monster.com, flipdog.com, etc. The more she's out there, the better her chances are.

Good luck to you both. Thanks for the response, I feel that I've accomplished at least one positive thing today. Yep - it's hard even when you "think" you have the answers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas

87 months ago

Small Town near Big Town in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina said: Also, tell her to get her resume on the web - at indeed.com, monster.com, flipdog.com, etc. The more she's out there, the better her chances are. Good luck to you both. Thanks for the response, I feel that I've accomplished at least one positive thing today. Yep - it's hard even when you "think" you have the answers.
Just a note: Indeed.com does not host resumes, but you can set up searches and job alerts through us. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kelly are idiots in Denver, Colorado

87 months ago

I got an assignment at the headquarters of a bank through Kelly Services. One of their regular employees was sneezing all over the office spreading his germs without even covering his mouth!

He kept coming near my desk to talk to me and I tried to avoid him. I ended up getting a really bad cold, very sore throat (could hardly talk) so I called in sick. The idiots at Kelly Services REPLACED ME!!! I told them that one of THEIR employees was spreading their germs everywhere! The agency rep said, "they were afraid you might be too "fragile."

Unbelievable!!

Gimme a break!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jane Doe in Bowling Green, Kentucky

87 months ago

Does anybody know if Kelly Services could run out of jobs? I mean , I filled out an application 3 months ago and i havent heard a single world back yet...so i went in the office to see whats going on, and they said they got no jobs available at all but please check back in. Is this possible? For 3 months now, they got nothing? The same thing happened with Adecco, i went in and they said there are no jobs yet. Now, I am not a US citizen but i went to a US college for 5 years and have a green card. I am starting to think that there is a discrimination against foreign people ....please someone give me an answer! thanks

POPPY in Hayward, California

87 months ago

I am not agree with you on this issues, i am a foreigner too and i got my firts jobs from kelly services also it was only in my second month in usa,only the think is , (also its same for all over jobs and temp agencies here in usa), you should call them often and ask if there is job for you, becuase specially temp agencies if you dont call them , they think that you dont need job or you found job somewhere. one of the kelly services office told me each friday you need to call them if you still interested in jobs!!

Jane Doe in Bowling Green, Kentucky

87 months ago

Thank you for your suggestion, i will definitely call them every week from now on and hopefully it will work out. I just didnt understand what was going on, since the lady didnt even ask my name or what kind of job i was looking for,she just automatically said that there are no jobs at all:( you know. But anyway, thanks for your advice again!we 'll see what happens...

Carol in Duluth, Georgia

87 months ago

I don't like job agencies such as Kelly Services. The vast majority of their placements are for strictly short-term or long-term temporary positions, not temp-to-hire (which seldom go perm) or direct hire, and all of their positions pay much lower than what you would make if you actually worked for the client, and any benefits are a joke.

If you are looking to obtain a perm position, do your best to apply directly to actual employers. Post your resume to job boards such as CareerBuilder, Monster and local newspaper job websites. Contact companies directly and try to speak with the manager of the department you are interested in.

If you are contacted by an agency recruiter, I'd advise you ignore them unless they directly represent the employer (some corporations now have their own recruiting companies or departments). Most agency recruiters are only contacting you to get you to submit your resume and waste your time registering with their agency so they can fill their resume/registration quota.

I'm not saying it's impossible to get a perm position through an agency, but the odds are heavily against it, I've only obtained one in all the many times I have worked through an agency. In almost every instance of a temp-to-hire position I've filled, I found out it was never the client's intent to make the job perm as the company was relocating, the position was going to be eliminated due to a company merger or reorganization, blah, blah, blah. The "temp-to-hire" was just bait to get someone to fill the position for the short time it was still needed. I may be naive, but I don't think the staffing agency knew it, but it didn't make me less upset and it didn't generate any warm fuzzy feelings for the agency.

Unless Kelly Services offers from the date you register, free access to online training so you can improve or add to your skills don't waste your time with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

JANE CASTOR in Odessa, Texas

85 months ago

oluwabukola c oladimeji-akindutire in Edison, New Jersey said: have not work at any kelly services before.i want to fill out an apllication for job online thanks.

I WOULD LIKE TO FILL OUT AN APLICATION ON LIKE PLEASE FOR A JOB, A FRIEND OF MINE SENT ME TO THIS SITE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Danielle in Madison Heights, Michigan

85 months ago

Try www.kellyservices.jobs instead of kellyservices.com for a better chance of getting in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

outsidergirl in Albia, Iowa

85 months ago

I worked for Kelly Services for roughly ten years. The pay changes from assignment to assignment. Your pay can actually go down if you accept an assignment with a lower pay grade than a previous one you were working so it is not only possible to not make more money but to make less as time goes by... their excuse is the client sets the wage. I worked through another temp agency recently at Wells Fargo and they had hired in a lot of temps through three different agencies and the pay varied greatly for that same job among the three. Of course, in spite of the no discussion of pay rule they all have, it was discussed and several temps quit immediately over the lower pay so the agencies do set the pay, not the client. You can choose to accept or not any position as a temp.
I was never out of work when I worked for Kelly but if I lived closer to the city and didn't have to commute 160 miles a day round trip I would take a full time job with benefits.
Kelly does try to put their most reliable/knowledgable people in the best jobs. To do otherwise invites client displeasure and loss. If you are not of high caliber you probably not be sent to the positions that can result in permament employment or good pay. I never had to drug test for them or undergo a credit check. I did have to undergo a background and credit check for officeteam.

Clariece in Denver, Colorado

84 months ago

"Administrative" is not a field. What industry do you specialize in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RUBY BAUTISTA in Edinburg, Texas

81 months ago

HELLO MY NAME IS RUBY LILIAN BAUTIST... I AM A HARD WORKER, IN SEARCH OF A JOB IN A GROWING COMPANY... ALL MY PREVIOUS JOBS ARE ELLEGABLE FOR REFERENCES... I HAVE WORKED AS CASHIER, RECEPTIONIST, ACCOUNT PAYABLES, AND RECEPTIONIST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

james ciandella in South Plainfield, New Jersey

79 months ago

oluwabukola c oladimeji-akindutire in Edison, New Jersey said: have not work at any kelly services before.i want to fill out an apllication for job online thanks.

looking for any typy of work even evenings in the piscataway south plainfield area

John Grant in Eagle Mountain, Utah

78 months ago

Brenner in Hillside, New Jersey said: Just went to Kelly for in person interview. Typical corporate atmosphere but what concerned me the most was their lack of flexibility with their rules and procedures.

They wanted me to allow a background and credit check even without an official offer of employment, when I objected they said their was nothing the could do despite their intense interest in me for a position with one of their clients.

Brenner,

Your concerns are valid. There is certainly a tremendous opportunity for your credit to be compromised if the information you provide ends up in the wrong hands. A couple of things to think about, though:

1. Kelly does a far more extensive background check on their employees then they would have done on you. Kelly doesn't hire criminals.

2. If the client says to not send any resumes for people who don't pass the background (financial or criminal), then the staffing agency has no choice but to process that information in advance. If you don't want them to that's find, but they won't be able to consider you for the position.

3. Staffing agencies are often required by their customers to do things that the customer themselves would never do. It is unfortunate, but is becoming a more and more popular reality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

outsidergirl in Albia, Iowa said: I worked for Kelly Services for roughly ten years. The pay changes from assignment to assignment. Your pay can actually go down if you accept an assignment with a lower pay grade than a previous one you were working so it is not only possible to not make more money but to make less as time goes by... their excuse is the client sets the wage. I worked through another temp agency recently at Wells Fargo and they had hired in a lot of temps through three different agencies and the pay varied greatly for that same job among the three. Of course, in spite of the no discussion of pay rule they all have, it was discussed and several temps quit immediately over the lower pay so the agencies do set the pay, not the client. You can choose to accept or not any position as a temp.
I was never out of work when I worked for Kelly but if I lived closer to the city and didn't have to commute 160 miles a day round trip I would take a full time job with benefits.
Kelly does try to put their most reliable/knowledgable people in the best jobs. To do otherwise invites client displeasure and loss. If you are not of high caliber you probably not be sent to the positions that can result in permament employment or good pay. I never had to drug test for them or undergo a credit check. I did have to undergo a background and credit check for officeteam.

Great points. However, it actually depends on the client. In some cases, the client stipulates how much the employee will be paid and how much they will pay the staffing agency. Generally, larger companies (Nationwide or Global) will set both rates. For small to mid-sized companies the staffing agency sells the client on a bill rate and then they decide how much to pay the employee.

One important factor that determines the pay rate is how much experience the person has and what have they been making in their last two jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Dawn in Texas in Fort Worth, Texas said: I thank each and everyone of you all the commits. I have tried to listen carefully to what each of you are trying to say.
My daughter who is a single Mom was offered a job with fair pay, good hours and
she enjoyed the people who worked there. But in order to get the job she was required to go through Kelly Services. The company decided to make this position that she had worked at two years a permanent position within the company itself. She of course was very excited because this would mean insurance for her and her son. They dropped her and hired another person. So she applied for other positions but because she is with Kelly they won't let her in these other position. As we have talked to others about this temp service. Kelly was suppose to tell her about insurance available, but failed to do so.
Now she wants to work without Kelly's assistance, or go back to school. She has been told by Kelly that she has to go through them on all her job searching and if she does not they will see to it that she can not recieve any unempoyment, which may have helped her if she decided to goes to school.
An feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Dawn,

Its been a while and hopefully things have improved for your daughter. Just Me is right that Kelly can't require you to go through them to get another job, but they are responsible for paying unemployment to the state for anyone they let go without reasonable cause and so they have a vested interest in getting that person back to work. If they offer you a comparable job with comparable pay and at a distance comparable to the commute from the previous job, your unemployment is likely to be cut off if you turn it down. The system is geared toward protecting the employee, but it will turn on you in an instant if it suspects you are milking it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Denver, Colorado

77 months ago

I would suggest you speak with an attorney who would provide a free initial consultation and deals in employment issues (for the employee, not the business).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Denver, Colorado

77 months ago

A friend who has been looking for a job recently got one and the duties are "becoming" something totally other than what she applied for. She is doing a lot of numbers and spreadsheet work and the job was supposed to be a communications position. I suggested she talk with her immediate supervisor. Any ideas how she could approach it without seeming like she wants to pick and choose what she does?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Anne in Denver, Colorado said: A friend who has been looking for a job recently got one and the duties are "becoming" something totally other than what she applied for. She is doing a lot of numbers and spreadsheet work and the job was supposed to be a communications position. I suggested she talk with her immediate supervisor. Any ideas how she could approach it without seeming like she wants to pick and choose what she does?

Anne, your friend is totally justified in addressing her concerns with her supervisor regarding the duties she has been assigned that are not in her original job description. However, she must also take into consideration how much she needs to keep the job and how easily she could replace it. Being the new person in an organization often involves doing the work no one else wants to do. She has an excellent opportunity to show the company that she can be a team player and make herself indispensable to the organization. If she likes the company, and sees a future for herself there, I would recommend that she look at the additional duties as an opportunity, rather than a burden.

One other thing to keep in mind, when the basic functions of your position change or rather when you are hired to do one job and then assigned to do an entirely different job, you have the legal right to refuse the new job functions. Whether you are fired as a result or you quit, you will still be likely to receive unemployment benefits as a result. However, documentation is critical. Get as much as you can in writing; both the original job description and the new duties.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Littleton, Colorado

77 months ago

Hey John, Thanks for the comments. She showed me her job description (which was posted on Monster) and there is no mention of any accounting work at all except for some "data entry." She says she is handling accounting/bookkeeping more than 50% of her day. Do you seriously think she could collect unemployment? I would think they would say 'administrative is administrative.' ??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Anne in Littleton, Colorado said: Hey John, Thanks for the comments. She showed me her job description (which was posted on Monster) and there is no mention of any accounting work at all except for some "data entry." She says she is handling accounting/bookkeeping more than 50% of her day. Do you seriously think she could collect unemployment? I would think they would say 'administrative is administrative.' ??

Anne,

It would be hard to say without more detail, but I think the best course of action would be for her to contact her local unemployment office and get some guidance from them. There may also be some info on their website www.coworkforce.com/uib/

77 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: John Grant in Eagle Mountain, Utah: "Being the new person in an organization often involves doing the work no one else wants to do. She has an excellent opportunity to show the company that she can be a team player and make herself indispensable to the organization. If she likes the company, and sees a future for herself there, I would recommend that she look at the additional duties as an opportunity, rather than a burden."*************************

In theory, that sounds good. Unfortunately in the real world, doing work (a lot of it volume wise) that one does not enjoy is draining and mentally exhausting. Work should be energizing, use one's best skills, not something you dread Monday morning. I know how she feels as I've been there before.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Anne in Littleton, Colorado said:

Anne,

How you view your job, whatever it is, is a choice. One man's dream job can be another man's nightmare. Its all a matter of perspective.

"Two men look out through the same bars: One sees the mud, and one the stars." - Frederick Langbridge

You can choose to hate your job and whine and complain, if you can find a better job then you can change jobs, or if you can't find a better job then you can look for ways to appreciate the job you have. Either way its a choice.

"If it were not for sour grapes, whiners could make no whine" - John Grant

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

And I repeat: One can only be successful if they truly enjoy what they are doing. Doing something one does not truly enjoy leads to burnout and dead ends.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

John Grant in Eagle Mountain, Utah said: Anne,

How you view your job, whatever it is, is a choice. One man's dream job can be another man's nightmare. Its all a matter of perspective.

Cute, John, again, how you "view" your job has to do with one's personality fit with the job. It looks like I'll have to explain in black and white. If one is an extrovert they are not going to be a good "fit" doing bookkeeping. Likewise, if someone loves detail work, most likely they will not be a good "fit" in sales. Any career book or career counselor will tell you that.

Life is simply too short to toil away at something one does not enjoy. You can try to "convince" yourself you're happy. But your soul "knows' when it's truly happy and when it's faking it.

That is really the worst thing to do -- to stay and "give up." I think there is a song like that -- the weak give up and stay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Anne in Littleton, Colorado said:

Anne,

I think we're speaking in cross purposes. I would never recommend that someone stay in a job they truly hate. You are right that life is too short.

But by the same token, it may not be the job's fault. People who seek to blame their problems on others, or on circumstances, will never be happy anywhere.

Before you decide to change jobs, you should take a moment to evaluate your reasons for leaving and what you are doing to contribute to the negative environment. If you have already invested time in a job, isn't it worth a few moments of introspection in order to protect the investment you have already made?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said:

Dis'd LP,

I disagree that people can have no alternatives. We may sometimes back ourselves into a corner and the choices we have may not appear very appealing, but there are always choices. The moment we convince ourselves that we have no choices is the point at which we start to blame others and circumstances for the situation we are in. It is critically important that we accept that our own choices have lead us to where we are and it is our own choices that will either keep us there are lead us out again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said:

How many successful people do you know who do not truly enjoy what they do?

Displaced, you REALLY seriously need to start reading some books on career choices, etc. You are seriously lacking in common sense in this area! And who would want your "career advice?" You don't know what you're talking about. All you've done is whine and whine about how you're a 'displaced legal professional!" Do you think professional career counselors would suggest whining and complaining will help? You are the ultimate pessimist -- it shows and I'm certain it shows on interviews.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

John Grant in Eagle Mountain, Utah said: Anne,

I think we're speaking in cross purposes. I would never recommend that someone stay in a job they truly hate. You are right that life is too short.

But by the same token, it may not be the job's fault. People who seek to blame their problems on others, or on circumstances, will never be happy anywhere.

Before you decide to change jobs, you should take a moment to evaluate your reasons for leaving and what you are doing to contribute to the negative environment. If you have already invested time in a job, isn't it worth a few moments of introspection in order to protect the investment you have already made?

Yes, Displaced sees everything in such black and white terms. I would never suggest someone "just leave' their job if they like the majority of what they are doing.

But if they are going home every night with a stomach ache, I'm sorry but life is too precious to be toiling away unhappily -- those kinds of jobs can make people physically ill -- and who wants medical (and therapy!) bills?!

There will always be tasks employees do not enjoy about their jobs. But if those tasks are the MAJORITY, then it's time to take a good look in the mirror sand say "What would make me happy?" and "How can I make that happen?" It takes work, it takes out of the box thinking. Something obviously Displaced is incapable of --

77 months ago

I'll boil it down for you, too, John. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. In other words, keep the job you have, even if you hate it, work, earn a paycheck and survive, or don't work, earn no paycheck and wonder about your survival. Those are the choices. I'll opt for the first choice - the bird in the hand. I don't regard the second choice as a "choice." *****

THIS IS THE ABSOLUTELY WORST ADVICE ANYONE COULD TAKE.

Once someone sees that they have "no choices" anymore, is when they need to OPEN UP THEIR MINDS (Displaced is very closed) and look around. There are ALWAYS other possibilities.

Your mind will lead you in the direction you wish to go. If you have no vision, no goal, you're just "hanging on desperately," then, Displaced, you are right. You are lost at that point and have no options.

But it is because of the way your mind chooses to think of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Displaced, if your goal is simply to "survive," then that is exactly what you will do.

If your goal is to 'thrive' then that is exactly what you will do too.

It's your choice. If you feel you have no control over what "happens" to you, that the world is "doing things" and you are just a passive player in the game of life, then that is exactly what you get.

You get what you aim for. So you are only aiming to 'survive?"

77 months ago

Ha-ha, cute one. I have chosen to leave jobs or environments I don't like even when I have children though I find something else BEFORE I leave. I have several glowing letters of reference, Displaced. I also have a job right now that I enjoy.

What do you have Displaced besides a negative attitude and bad advice?

77 months ago

Before you decide to change jobs, you should take a moment to evaluate your reasons for leaving and what you are doing to contribute to the negative environment.

It also depends on why the person is or wants to leave. It may not be a negative environment at all -- but the job tasks themselves (the majority of them) are not a good fit with the person's skills, interests, aptitudes and goals. Simply put, a square peg does not fit into a round hole and will never be satisified. It's not only what the employer is looking for, it's what the job seeker is looking for!

I have taken a lot of personal assessment tests (both free and some for fee) which has helped me tremendously know my strengths, my weaknesses, what types of environments I would excel in, and those that I would not. It helps to be introspective as, again, you only go around once in this life and why not try to make the best of it?

I've also talked to people a lot lately about jobs in general and it seems those without goals end up in jobs they often dislike. Those who have specific career goals seem much happier and satisified. They don't tend to feel as 'stuck' as those without goals.

It is dangerous to only think in terms of a job as something to survive. If that is how one thinks, that is exactly what they will get -- to survive.

This is the U.S. People can do better -- if they believe in themselves and have goals to aim for. Without that, they are lost.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

See if you can use someone at last job as a reference - not Kelly rep. This may be a bit tricky.
a
Actually, Kelly Services does not give "personal references" and refers all reference checks to a certain department at headquarters.

Their policy is to state your title, salary, what you did, etc. Only factual things, not opinions. So I wouldn't worry so much about it.

And it is a great idea to see if the client will provide a personal reference if things went well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Anne in Littleton, Colorado: "I have chosen to leave jobs or environments I don't like even when I have children though I find something else BEFORE I leave...."

Is that so, Anne? You wrote the following three months ago:

Your words, Anne, on this thread: www.indeed.com/forum/cmp/AppleOne/05390c183c137e1c787846/05390c183c137e1b787e410118

By your comments, above, Anne, you are in no position to criticize others about the length of their job searches. Moreover, Anne, you are clearly a job hopper, Anne. Spoiled? You said it, not me.

My money says you will leave your job shortly, Anne. Not because you're "bored" and not working to your "capabilities" - but because your employer will be "bored" with your abrasiveness. You may have glowing LORs, Anne, but your self-admitted employment record sends an entirely different message.

The point is, Anne, you are in no position to give anyone employment advice.

"What do you have, Displaced, besides a negative attitude and bad advice?"

Whatever you think, Anne. See above about your fitness to give advice and opine on others' advice. I tell the truth, Anne, you cannot handle the truth.

Would you please get a life Displaced? Seriously! How much time are you spending of your life on the forum on indeed??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Hey, Displaced, you seem to know me "so well," (you are very arrogant) -- what exactly can't I handle that's the "truth?" \

Not trying to be "harsh," but I have to say, you are one obnoxious fellow, that's for sure. I can definitely understand why you are having such trouble finding work and I feel sorry for you as you are sabatoging your own efforts by your negativity.

Blaming it on your age is a convenient cop out. I would guess past employers have stated that you are inflexible and unwilling to listen to others and that you always think you are right. Perhaps a chip on the shoulder too?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Warning! Don't take the weekend off from this blog. Things will get completely out of hand.

Dis'd and Anne, please take your hostility off blog. Your comments have stopped being helpful and have instead become abusive. Perhaps you can simply agree to disagree.

And, before the two of you start in on me, NO I am not the moderator of this forum. I am simply an interested party who joined the conversation to try and offer some helpful advice. I don't expect either of you, or anyone else, to follow it. I simply offer it in the event that someone may find some value in it. I think we would all benefit from the two of you taking a similar position.

Anne, your views are clearly ultra liberal. Dis'd, your views are clearly ultra conservative. If history is any teacher, the two of you will never see eye to eye - except perhaps on how much you both disagree with me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Denver, Colorado

77 months ago

John,

Notice how "Displaced" has made 7 consecutive comments and I have not even replied?

-- Anne

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Its Me in Dallas, Texas

75 months ago

George W.Bush in Syracuse, New York said: Kelly Services is way too intrusive especially without a solid job lead to start with AND criminal background checks
are payed for by the(you quessed it)applicant!!!!and not for felonies for misdomieners that are SEVEN
years old !!!.I would understand if the jobs were better or payed more but they are the same jobs everone else offers without the nit picking questions.

Kelly Services will only run a background check if the client they are staffing for request it.

Kelly Osler in Canton, Ohio

74 months ago

Kelly Services is a joke. The jobs they post are not real. I think the employees at Kelly Services are required to achieve a quota and need to recruit a number of people every month. I recently posted for a position with Kelly Services in Canton, Ohio and she called me the next day and told me she is going to email me an application. So I filled out the application and Kelly Services called me and said they faxed over my resume but never heard anything from the company. She also said she had another position in a payroll department and asked me to come into her office to fill out paperwork. Kelly Services also stated that no interview would be necessary for the payroll position, they just needed someone in there right away. I was on my way to another interview when she called and I told her I would call her as soon as I was done. Well, needless to say I called her immediately after the interview and told her I was on my way in to fill out the paperwork and she said she has not heard any information yet from the employer and not to come in for the paperwork, she would call me later that day or the next day.....I bet you can imagine what happens next....Never heard from them again....What a joke. It was a fake position, just to string you along. She got me to fill out the application and that is all she needed to help her fill her quota. These temporary companies need to be put out of business. Why are companies today so lazy that they can not manage to hire employees on their own? Why have a Human Resource Department if they can not manage to have the time to hire themselves. Most companies that have to consult a temporary company to do their hiring are below standard companies. It will be below average pay, long hours, with menial labor tasks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Kelly Osler in Canton, Ohio said: Kelly Services is a joke. The jobs they post are not real.

Where to begin? It's a free country and that means that staffing agencies will continue to exist and you will continue to be allowed to express your opinion (both of which are far from perfect). As for Kelly employees having quotas, as with any for profit entity Kelly has production expectations for its employees. Any company that doesn't will not be in business for very long. Staffing agencies are in the business of putting people to work (not collecting applications). If you didn't get a call back, it was either because the client changed their mind or you were not the ideal fit for the job. As for why companies choose to use staffing agencies, you answered the question yourself. HR departments are not always able to find the ideal candidate. Logically, having more eyes searching for the ideal candidate will result in find that person more quickly. Additionally, there are enormous expenses involved in the search for candidates. Given that staffing agencies already have access to these resources (because that's all they do every day) it is often less expensive to pay a staffing agency to do the initial search (an expense that is only incurred by the company if they decide to hire the staffing agency's candidate).

Lastly, every fortune 500 company uses staffing agencies. I should think that you would want to check your facts before you express your opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

John Grant in Eagle Mountain, Utah said: Where to begin? It's a free country and that means that staffing agencies will continue to exist and you will continue to be allowed to express your opinion (both of which are far from perfect). As for Kelly employees having quotas, as with any for profit entity Kelly has production expectations for its employees. Any company that doesn't will not be in business for very long. Staffing agencies are in the business of putting people to work (not collecting applications). If you didn't get a call back, it was either because the client changed their mind or you were not the ideal fit for the job. As for why companies choose to use staffing agencies, you answered the question yourself. HR departments are not always able to find the ideal candidate. Logically, having more eyes searching for the ideal candidate will result in find that person more quickly. Additionally, there are enormous expenses involved in the search for candidates. Given that staffing agencies already have access to these resources (because that's all they do every day) it is often less expensive to pay a staffing agency to do the initial search (an expense that is only incurred by the company if they decide to hire the staffing agency's candidate).

Lastly, every fortune 500 company uses staffing agencies. I should think that you would want to check your facts before you express your opinion.

My opinion counts just as much as yours or anyone elses for that matter, and the facts that I stated are correct for my situation. It is just too bad that a fortune 500 company can not give you a courtesy call to tell you that your qualifications do not meet what they need. I would at least expect that much, instead of no call at all. That is just down right rude and unprofessional. Why the hostility in your postings?

Lastly, there is always that one person on evey message board that thinks their opinion is the only one that should count. [QUOTE]

74 months ago

Kelly Osler in Canton, Ohio said: My opinion counts just as much as yours or anyone elses for that matter, and the facts that I stated are correct for my situation.

I never cease to be amazed at how some people will go around accusing others of what they themselves are guilty of.

I regret that you found my comment hostile when my intent was simply to explain how your opinions were inaccurate and completely unfounded. If you sensed any hostility, perhaps you should be reviewing your own comments, which express a deep lack of patience and tolerance. However, if your problem is that you think your opinion should go unchallenged then you should consider keeping your opinion to yourself; because, as you so eloquently put it, yours is not the only opinion that should count.

Regarding the lack of a call back from the recruiter, if the recruiter specifically promised you a call back either way, and they didn't, shame on them. That would have been very unprofessional. In a perfect world we would all have time to do everything that we should. However, we all have limited time resources and have to prioritize our daily tasks. Sometimes, in order to accomplish the truly productive tasks, we tend to sacrifice some of the less productive niceties. The proper staffing industry approach is to tell a candidate that you will "call them back if things are moving forward". The candidate is free then to make a call themselves to get an update, but chances are very likely that if there is good news that the recruiter will call you. There is no logical reason to assume that a recruiter is going to intentionally let an ideal candidate for an open position fall through the cracks. To do so would be to throw money away and, as we all know, staffing agencies exist to make money. Still, things happen and it never hurts to call the recruiter for an update.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Kelly Osler in Canton, Ohio said: It is just too bad that a fortune 500 company can not give you a courtesy call to tell you that your qualifications do not meet what they need. [QUOTE]

Many job seekers labor under the false assumption that the staffing agency works for them. In fact, the staffing agency is your customer. You are the one with the resource that you wish to exchange with the staffing agency for money. The staffing agency is the one with the money and is therefore the customer. If your resources are adequate to the staffing agencies need then they will pay you for your resources. If not, then like any customer, they will instead take their money to someone who does have the resources they need.

If Wal-Mart threw a fit every time someone bought something at K-Mart and accused the customer of being unfair or unprofessional then no one would shop at Wal-Mart any more. Instead, Wal-Mart tries to find out why the customer chose to shop at K-Mart and then makes changes to improve their overall appeal to the customer. It's called a free market economy and it works pretty well for those who are willing to compete in it. Who it doesn't work well for are those who think the market owes them something for even bothering to show up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I stated my opinion, you stated yours. You suggested,"I should check my facts before stating my opinion." I mentioned a fact for my situation, not yours, and yes, your statement was hostile towards my comment. My comment was hostile to a company, not you as an individual or your opinion. Please read posts carefully before you actively attack someone. You can rightfully defend the company with every brittle bone in your body, but you have no right to personally attack an opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

John Grant in Utah

74 months ago

Kelly Osler in Canton, Ohio said: Most companies that have to consult a temporary company to do their hiring are below standard companies. It will be below average pay, long hours, with menial labor tasks.

Fair enough. Let's examine your fact. You claim that "Most companies" who use staffing agencies are sub standard. The fact is that "Most Companies" who use staffing are larger companies, due to the fact that they can afford to. What you claim to be a "fact" is actually an insult not only to Kelly and other staffing agencies but also to their customers who happen to be the largest companies on the planet. Your "fact" is void of any merit. You are simply wrong and I was simply pointing it out. "Facts" cannot change to conveniently support your opinion. To say that I cannot challenge your opinion simply because you have a right to state it is not only ridiculous, but also shockingly immature. If you feel that your opinion has been unfairly challenged then back it up with some evidence. If you can't do that then I again recommend that you keep your opinions to yourself. You will get no free passes here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

John Grant in Utah said: Fair enough. Let's examine your fact. You claim that "Most companies" who use staffing agencies are sub standard. The fact is that "Most Companies" who use staffing are larger companies, due to the fact that they can afford to. What you claim to be a "fact" is actually an insult not only to Kelly and other staffing agencies but also to their customers who happen to be the largest companies on the planet. Your "fact" is void of any merit. You are simply wrong and I was simply pointing it out. "Facts" cannot change to conveniently support your opinion. To say that I cannot challenge your opinion simply because you have a right to state it is not only ridiculous, but also shockingly immature. If you feel that your opinion has been unfairly challenged then back it up with some evidence. If you can't do that then I again recommend that you keep your opinions to yourself. You will get no free passes here.

This is beginning to sound like kindergarten, or -- a courtroom!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

John Grant in Utah said: Fair enough. Let's examine your fact. You claim that "Most companies" who use staffing agencies are sub standard. The fact is that "Most Companies" who use staffing are larger companies, due to the fact that they can afford to. What you claim to be a "fact" is actually an insult not only to Kelly and other staffing agencies but also to their customers who happen to be the largest companies on the planet. Your "fact" is void of any merit. You are simply wrong and I was simply pointing it out. "Facts" cannot change to conveniently support your opinion. To say that I cannot challenge your opinion simply because you have a right to state it is not only ridiculous, but also shockingly immature. If you feel that your opinion has been unfairly challenged then back it up with some evidence. If you can't do that then I again recommend that you keep your opinions to yourself. You will get no free passes here.

They are sub standard and I will keep posting my opinions. Do me a favor and stop reading my opinions and do not reply to them if you are so offended of their nature. Go about your daily business and find some other person to attack. It is in your nature to attack, as I can see from all of your other many, many, many, many posts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.