Bad Management

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Jimmy in Waxhaw, North Carolina

60 months ago

Fairly new at K. Was scheduled to work 1-9. Was told the policy was 2 15 min breaks and an hour lunch. Was stuck in electronics for the first 4.5 hours and no one ever approached me about taking my break. Couldn't even go to the bathroom.

Wasn't too worried about it as I had heard from others that you could take both breaks during the second part of your shift. That was OK with me.

Went to lunch, came back, switched to cashier to find that the TERRIBLE service desk worker was there. Trying to be nice I informed them that I did not take my first break so I would have to take 2 in the second "half" of my shift. She basically yelled at me and said that I could not take the break. It was my responsibility to make sure I took my breaks. (Had NEVER heard that before.) After asking her why she was yelling at me (to which she replied that she wasn't) she said that she would have the manager on duty come tell me what was what.

He did and denied me the taking of my first 15 minute break. And not nicely either.

My question: How can I contact corporate to complain about this? I was never told that my break was my responsibility, as it had always been assigned. Their lack of training proficiency and common courtesy really caused a bad feeling in me. I would think that they would have at least let me take the break this time, but in the future no.

Any questions or comments are welcome. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Just wanted to add that I have been busting my but there up to this point and have been promised a "promotion" to the service desk. Even did a half days training there a day ago. I get along with 98% of the people I work with very well, and have already garnered a star after only a few weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

oops in the op I said "1-9." Should be "1-10."

Mallory in Columbus, Indiana

51 months ago

I work for K-mart too. The service desk workers usually assign breaks and lunches to the cashiers but not any of the workers on the floor. However, as long as the workers on the floor tell others in their department that they are going on break/lunch it's no problem. They cannot deny you any of your break or meal periods. If you are there for nine hours, you are supposed to take two 15 minute breaks and one 60 minute lunch period.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sugarbear0410 in Florissant, Missouri

40 months ago

glad to see its just not my store that has these problems... i work it all on the front end and in layaway and no matter what shift i work i have to fight for a break each time mostly because im in layaway and they have very few people who are trained to cover that dept. on top of that they schedule us 6 days a week 4-5 hr shifts if we r lucky maybe longer and it tends to be 6-12 days before u have a single day off. heaven for bid u request time off this last stretch i had to work 9 days in a row just to have 2 days off i requested back in jan.

something really needs to change

matimunoz in Clarkston, Michigan

36 months ago

Jimmy in Waxhaw, North Carolina said: Fairly new at K. Was scheduled to work 1-9. Was told the policy was 2 15 min breaks and an hour lunch. Was stuck in electronics for the first 4.5 hours and no one ever approached me about taking my break. Couldn't even go to the bathroom.

Wasn't too worried about it as I had heard from others that you could take both breaks during the second part of your shift. That was OK with me.

Went to lunch, came back, switched to cashier to find that the TERRIBLE service desk worker was there. Trying to be nice I informed them that I did not take my first break so I would have to take 2 in the second "half" of my shift. She basically yelled at me and said that I could not take the break. It was my responsibility to make sure I took my breaks. (Had NEVER heard that before.) After asking her why she was yelling at me (to which she replied that she wasn't) she said that she would have the manager on duty come tell me what was what.

He did and denied me the taking of my first 15 minute break. And not nicely either.

My question: How can I contact corporate to complain about this? I was never told that my break was my responsibility, as it had always been assigned. Their lack of training proficiency and common courtesy really caused a bad feeling in me. I would think that they would have at least let me take the break this time, but in the future no.

[/QUOT ask your HR for the number its the same as your web page 88sears.com or email me and I will get it for you.. To all you guys on here I agree the k is the worst place to work and they make up there rules as they see fit to there needs not yours I am a manger and have tranfered to a differant store and found they do change there policies to fit there needs. I was just informed at the store I tranfered to that I must work over 9.75 hrs before I can have a hr lunch. hmmmm my other kmart store aloowed my my choice after 8hrs 1/2 or a full hr.

matimunoz in Clarkston, Michigan

36 months ago

Jimmy in Waxhaw, North Carolina said: Just wanted to add that I have been busting my but there up to this point and have been promised a "promotion" to the service desk. Even did a half days training there a day ago. I get along with 98% of the people I work with very well, and have already garnered a star after only a few weeks.

I too was a high start 6 in a full week and then some never got a thing..... promises promised only a hand shack and a thank you been with them 6 yrs even with no LP I found the guy ripping us off I mean really takeing out the trash STUPID KIMART HELLO A maintance guy with black garbage bags and a loss of 53,000 in electronics reported him to store manager, called district to make them go find and pull the security tapes WOW I was right. and only a thank you geeeeesh really guys

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Always Looking in Enfield, Connecticut

7 months ago

Jimmy in Waxhaw, North Carolina said: Fairly new at K. Was scheduled to work 1-9. Was told the policy was 2 15 min breaks and an hour lunch. Was stuck in electronics for the first 4.5 hours and no one ever approached me about taking my break. Couldn't even go to the bathroom.

Any questions or comments are welcome. Thanks.

Lucky. Our staff get 2 15's and a 1/2

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.