Kmart Management

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Been there in Harold, Kentucky

87 months ago

Kmart has found a way to bring back slaves. The hours are long. The pay is good, if you only worked your 48 hour week that are required for Kmart management. However, 60 to 90 hrs is more like it. The eastern district is expecially horrible in KY, VA, and TN. The district manager says one thing that sounds good and "means" another. Don't do it if you want to stay healty and or keep your family, because the hard work and strains are not worth the gains. There are none with this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

bella in Lowell, Massachusetts

87 months ago

James in Cambridge, Massachusetts said: How can you call managers slaves? The hours are long huh, preaching to the choir buddy. 60 hours to 90 is nearly impossible unless your totally incapable of telling anyone that you need a day off to take care of your family. If your on your feet that much and working that hard you will be healthy, but maybe develop a drinking problem haha.
No one ever said that retail management was going to be easy, so do something about it, ask for some days off or hire more people or maybe even train them so you can let them take the reins and don't complain about it.

James, just north of you our store has cut back so many hrs., the assistants have to take on the dept managers jobs because all full timers went to overnights is it like that in your store. i think we have 2 full timers during the day how do you run a store with only part timers?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

queenbee in Westminster, Maryland

87 months ago

bella in Lowell, Massachusetts said: James, just north of you our store has cut back so many hrs., the assistants have to take on the dept managers jobs because all full timers went to overnights is it like that in your store. i think we have 2 full timers during the day how do you run a store with only part timers?

Don't leave Maryland out. They have people working off the clock just to get the the work done- it's a nightmare. They use intimidation and threats and get away with it. One person to handle 6 depts. why anyone
stays there is a mystery. They set people up to be able to fire them.
Sales are horrible customers are thier last concern- registers are never opened. If you are working there get out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Excellence00 Jones in Jacksonville, Florida

84 months ago

all of these comments are just about true, even if you worked the minimum 48 hours required you are still making pennies as a manager if you break down your salary to hourly.....I can gaurntee you can get a job working 40 hours a week making the same amount of money if not more...soon as first quarter rolls around and companies resume the hiring process, I will be the first one out of Kmart(and or hell whatever you want to consider it)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bella north of boston in Billerica, Massachusetts

83 months ago

queenbee in Westminster, Maryland said: Don't leave Maryland out. They have people working off the clock just to get the the work done- it's a nightmare. They use intimidation and threats and get away with it. One person to handle 6 depts. why anyone
stays there is a mystery. They set people up to be able to fire them.
Sales are horrible customers are thier last concern- registers are never opened. If you are working there get out.

I AM FREE AFTER 7YRS I COULDN'T BE ANY HAPPIER

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Excellence00 Jones in Jacksonville, Florida

82 months ago

I'm free, I'm free, I'm free.....I's a FREE!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jpw in Hartford, CT, Connecticut

81 months ago

As I am sitting here thinking about maybe working again at Kmart overnight. I did this for a year in MN. Everything you all have been saying is true. Because the 2 merged (Sears and Kmart) they have changed how they 'do' business with all their employees. Yes, they have 1 person doing 2,3,4 and 5 departments with part time people. And yes, the customers are not at the high priority because there is nobody to help them. Overnights pay better at Kmart then lets say Target or Walmart though. It's hard work and to get in you have to fill out the kiosk perfectly or know somebody. So if you want to get in, keep trying or find someone that knows someone. Or maybe just keep shopping there and they will see your a 'regular' even though their prices are high.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Puckering Starfish in Kingman, Arizona

81 months ago

Is Kmart in dire straits? I've seen some store close that I thought would never close.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

toomanyrobbies in Worklikeadog

80 months ago

Kmart needs to fire almost every last person currently in its employ. Lazy, rude and absolutely the worst customer service. Kmart also has too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Get rid of those visual merchandizers who float from store to store to help the softlines team do their jobs - why is this necessary? Teach people how to do things correctly on the store level, fire those who just float and spread the payroll through the district.

Am a new Kmart manager and I can see why this organization is going down the tubes. TOO MANY OLDTIMERS DOING LITTLE MORE THAN STATING, "I've been here X years and this is the way I do things". Uh - no. You will do things the way *I* tell you or you can relocate from gossiping in the fitting room to gossiping on the unemployment line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Lili9 please1 in Hahnville, Louisiana

79 months ago

work in fashions it take 250 words to describe what we do so I will not. New asst mgr. had almost enough people to do the work. She quit. Now we have 2 people a day to do the same work. I think the old mgr.is trying to look good to save money. results poor quality of work because not enough time to get everything done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

flap hohn in Helena, Montana

77 months ago

James in Cambridge, Massachusetts said: How can you call managers slaves? The hours are long huh, preaching to the choir buddy. 60 hours to 90 is nearly impossible unless your totally incapable of telling anyone that you need a day off to take care of your family. If your on your feet that much and working that hard you will be healthy, but maybe develop a drinking problem haha.
No one ever said that retail management was going to be easy, so do somethig about it, ask for some days off or hire more people or maybe even train them so you can let them take the reins and don't complain about it.

Management is on salary, you work when they tell you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

flap hohn in Helena, Montana

77 months ago

bella north of boston in Billerica, Massachusetts said: I AM FREE AFTER 7YRS I COULDN'T BE ANY HAPPIER

I am free after 3 months..I have never been happier eventhough I am unemployed!!!Best decision i ever made!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GeeLo in Columbia, South Carolina

51 months ago

I worked for K-Mart back in the late 80's, there were a few old employees that started in the "1970's" that would tell me on how great "K-Mart" used to be back then. The company would give sizable holiday bonuses and even expensive gifts to their employees. After working there for a year, these old employees told me to "get out" and not to stay with K-Mart.

I did not....

The first two years I was there, all of employees would get a cash holiday bonuses, then that stopped. After about 8 years after that, I found that a lot of floor supervisors would harass any employees who seemed like they had a shot of advancing in the company. I saw this first hand when I was promoted to a department manager, a few floor supervisors would trash my department, tell the main store manager that I needed to be "stepped down". Really sad to see people act like that to other people.

All of the old employees either took early retirement, quit out right, or got "fired". The company actually moved the store manager who worked there for "years" and replaced him with another manager who sole purpose was to yell and "clean out" employees who could not take her abuse. I left when that happened, and I only wish I left like 5 years sooner. From what I have seen and heard from other employees at that store and elsewhere, K-Mart has not changed, but is even worse now all across the board. My suggestion to current employees, is leave.. don't waste your time on whatever job you really want to do. (I myself, after getting a new job, am in the top pay scale of my current field)

Managers who read this, you really need to stop harassing your employees just because your store is failing behind in sales. Your own leadership is not based on how loud you can yell and threaten your employees, but how you can positively motivate them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

GeeLo in Columbia, South Carolina

51 months ago

toomanyrobbies in Worklikeadog said: Kmart needs to fire almost every last person currently in its employ. Lazy, rude and absolutely the worst customer service. Kmart also has too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Get rid of those visual merchandizers who float from store to store to help the softlines team do their jobs - why is this necessary? Teach people how to do things correctly on the store level, fire those who just float and spread the payroll through the district.

Am a new Kmart manager and I can see why this organization is going down the tubes. TOO MANY OLDTIMERS DOING LITTLE MORE THAN STATING, "I've been here X years and this is the way I do things". Uh - no. You will do things the way *I* tell you or you can relocate from gossiping in the fitting room to gossiping on the unemployment line.

Actually, the majority of the reason on why K-Mart is failing is because of your own lack of management. You can positively motivate your employees new or old, without threating them and harassing them. I also use to see that in young new managers "I'm the Boss, you will fear and respect me!!" you will find out that approach does not work too well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BIg Daddy in Mantua, Ohio

50 months ago

Been there in Harold, Kentucky said: Kmart has found a way to bring back slaves. The hours are long. The pay is good, if you only worked your 48 hour week that are required for Kmart management. However, 60 to 90 hrs is more like it. The eastern district is expecially horrible in KY, VA, and TN. The district manager says one thing that sounds good and "means" another. Don't do it if you want to stay healty and or keep your family, because the hard work and strains are not worth the gains. There are none with this company.

I worked for Kmart as a manager in the mid-east region. You are right the hours suck, everyone lies to you and LP and HR are running the company. Stay away from Kmart it is going down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rflor31 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

44 months ago

yes i highle agree. i have been with kmart for over 2 years and have come to the conclusion that all assistant managers are rude, when in reality they dont get paid s@#%. hours are hardly and for hourly employes and when you are allowed the hours they can become overwelming working shifts like 10 in the morning to 11 at night. i used to stress out a lot but latly i ask myself why stress ive been here over 2 years busting my ass and still getting paid 7.50 although i did recieve a 50 cent raise,carried it for two months then they said i didnt "qualify" so they took it away!can theydo that?.i was also on expires. i thought that was an LP'S job? kmart is a great high school job but after that hours are hard, making it not family oriented. anybody that agrees with me that management at kmart sucks speak up! Im only a porter but do several things like planograms,trucks,registers,returns, lawaway,validations,service desk, carts,carryouts all in one shift its crazy sometimes i feel like im doing managers work like taking pictures of a layout and sending it to the DM so the mangers dont get in trouble. Should a porter be doing all this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.