LOSS PREVENTION DEPARTMENT SUCKS

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 229)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

TROY in Tampa, Florida

87 months ago

IM A FORMER LOSS PREVENTION MANAGER FOR THIS COMPANY AND LET ME TELL YOU THIS COMPANY IS A JOKE. SOME STORES HAVE NO CAMERAS AND SOME HAVE S***** ONES. YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO HANDCUFF SHOPLIFTERS BECAUSE THEY HAVE MORE RIGHTS THAN YOU DO. YOUR PAPERWORK WORK LOAD IS WAY OVER THE LIMIT AND ITS ATLEAST 12 OR 13 HOURS A DAY YOUR WORKING. YOU REPORT TO THE STORE COACH WHO MAKES YOU DO NON LOSS PREVENTION WORK AND YOU HAVE A LP DISTRICT COACH WHO DOESNT SUPPORT YOU AND JUST SAYS GET ERR DONE. THERE IS NO PROPER STRUCTURED TRAINING SO MOST NEWBEES HAVE NO CLUE WHATS GOING ON AND WHEN THEY FAIL THEY TRY TO BLAME THE TRAINING LP MANAGER WHO HAS ENOUGH STUFF TO WORRY ABOUT. SAFETY SEEMS TO BE NUMBER ONE OVER MOST OTHER THINGS. INTERNALS SHOULD BE A PRIORITY BUT THEIR REALLY NOT. OUT OF DATES ARE MORE OF A PRIORITY THAN SOME YOUNG CASHIER CLEANING OUT THE REGISTER. YOU HAVE YOUR OWN STORE BUT YOUR NEVER WORKING IN IT.
THE SALARY ISNT WORTH THE HEADACHE AND STRESS THIS DEAD SMELLY STORE CREATES.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (108) / No (49) Reply - Report abuse

william in Phoenix, Arizona

82 months ago

troy I'm sorry but it is obvious you didn't work at Kmart for long and if you did you did not learn or pay attention. let me correct some things.

first your cameras are for reviewing prior events that are flagged on the daily reports. they are not to watch to catch shoplifters as you miss steps once you leave the office to stop a lifter. you also cant have one watching and one arresting cause the arresting lp obviously didn't see all the steps. all lp should be on the floor all shift not in office except for various paperwork.

that paperwork is part of preventing loss. it identifies overs and shorts and various fraud and these reports help you catch internals by the trends in the paperwork. you then go to the tapes to verify and thievery.

the safety crap you talk about that is a waste is a loss. employee injuries, work comp fraud, customer injuries and fraud are huge losses to the bottom line. your there to prevent loss correct?

as a loss prevention manager you are not answering to the store manager. you work with them consult on stuff and work as a team but they are not your supervisor.

there is proper structured training. you cant make stops till you go thru it. as a lp their is also training including a new school for lp managers in training.

out of dates are a huge potential loss to a store. the health department can fine a store thousands of dollars per out of date item. your there to audit these areas like the pantry and hard lines manager are. if your doing your job and retraining or getting rid of people who dot stock properly you are not going to waste time on your audits that take 5 or 10 minutes a day per the schedule. i have seen stores get nailed with hundreds of out of date food drink and baby items. fines have been over 50 grand for some stores. this is a loss isnt it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (87) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

Richard Lockmiller 931-967-6047 in Eminence, Kentucky

82 months ago

I wish Lp at wal-mart knew as much as you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

lpa3369 in Sacramento, California

78 months ago

Man I just resigned from my job at K-mat LP. I worked there for approximately 4 months. First it took over a month for them to send me to get my 3 stops to get certified. In the mean time I had 3 viable stops that I couldnt detain, so I just made a prevention with recovery. After I got certified, I walked the floors day and night, and they only gave me a limited number of part time hours. I don't see how I can catch someone on a part time basis anywho. But I got an "employee interview" (write-up) after 2 months of not catching anyone, even though I had another 2 preventions, and was working on 2 or 3 internals. after another month or so, I was advised by my LPC (Manager) that I was going to be let go by the DM and his bosses because I only caught one shoplifter. Nay they think of the entire camera system that I rewired for them, and installed 2 or 3 new cameras, or how I placed new cieling tiles in place, oh lets not take into consideration the times I came in on my day off to cover for my LPC, or all the nights before my shift was over how I ran all the daily reports for him, or even how I was busy moving stockrooms, and organizing paperwork for the store coach that I couldnt spend my time on the floor catching externals. Gotta love how they take all your extra work into consideration. I followed several people, and decided against stopping because I lost one of my steps, but I guarantee had I stopped them I would have made a viable recovery. Yes sir, one must enjoy the way your hard work, and dedication is taken into consideration with this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Cody McDonell in Sweetwater, Texas

73 months ago

I have worked for Kmart for almost two years, and I was wanting to get into LP. Can anyone tell me how to go about doing this? I would as our DLPC, but he is not approachable. Any advice (constructive) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

J1 in Jacksonville, Florida

72 months ago

I must agree that Kmart Loss Prevention really s***s in my town. I have worked LP in the past for a few other companies. Kmart makes the other guys look like Gods. Kmart LP s***s. VCR tapes are you kidding me! The store looks like it is still in the 70's and so does its equipment. After only being there a month I was told by the LP coach my LPA title has been removed from the store. Supposively,this was handed down from corporate.I hate to be negative but the store manager doesnt do any of his paperwork it is all done by the LP coach. He does so much paper work after being there a month I was never certified to catch any shoplifters.I have never worked for a company that cares so little about there employees. This was the worst LP job I have ever wasted my time with. All I have to say is beware of this company because one day you could be a victim as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

cialesboy in Chicago, Illinois

72 months ago

You have to understand that the prioriy in the store are team members and customers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

J... in Oxnard, California

71 months ago

By the way'I am no longer with KMART. I am very glad to say that I resigned my position,in favor of a much more professional,and respected organization. I can surely say that the day I quit KMART was to me one of the happiest days in the past few years. Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

anthony1 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

I have a question out of curiosity, How much does the Loss Prevention Coach Make on average for a yearly salary? please respond asap thankyou.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

flap hohn in Helena, Montana

70 months ago

factotum in Wilmington, North Carolina said: bs, you guys Lp is joke. the 6 steps all that bs. lol. get your stuff back and thats it. none of this out of date crap,or what kmart wants you to do. it varies so much state to state that this board doesnt matter. I found this board on a random search after working in lp for a month. our manager is cool as heel but he doesnt work 50+ hours a week. the training is lax and the oversight is sh**ty. the internals are the biggest problem and nothing is really done to combat the problem since they would have to run extensive background checks on the employees who make 6-7 dollars an hour and stay there for 2-3 months. they know that there is gonna be shrinkage. lp is just a way to make sure that they dont lose TOO MUCH money.

I worked for k-mart for about 3 months. At a meeting it was stated that the customers weren't stealing, it was the employees who were stealing!!! That was one of many reasons why I quit k-mart!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

nobody in Lewisville, Texas

69 months ago

In regards to the false detainment incident above(which is exactly what happend in this instance) Loss prevention employees are representing thier companies whenever a stop is made. Each company has a responsibility to fully train their LP employees in matters of detainment, liability, court system workings, store saftey, audits, also front and back end operations. For most companies who have a solid LP program, an LP is to only make a stop if they have 5 to 6 visual elements depending on the company, if they do not have these elements,then there is the element of doubt, a stop at this point should not be made due to liability. This is LP 101.In this instance it sounds like not only should a stop not be made but an exsessive amount of force was used. LPs are requierd to be the most proffesional element in the store. What that LP did to you is unfortunatly not the worst LP behavior that i have heard of but is ranking in the top 5. If this employee did this in my company, he not only would be terminated on the spot but im sure would face charges by the victim as well. I hope that you do not think all LPs in other companies act this way. K mart seems to be the exeption to this rule however. The loss prevention field has come a long way from handcuff toting, untrained employees to a highly trained, well educated investigative department. Sounds like Kmart needs to get on the ball.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

hway in Virginia

67 months ago

hway in Virginia said: Yes, you should definitely sue! I just recently lost my job as a Loss Prevention Officer. It's a long story but it was an unjust termination. Anyways, as far as I know, Kmart as a company is not allowed to use handcuffs at all. But even if the particular store you were at for some reason was allowed to use them, you still have a case against them. What they did is considered a "Nonproductive Detainment." This means that they stopped you and accused you and no stolen merchandise was found on you. This could cost the company so much money if you pursued it in court. I encourage you to contact a laywer. As long as you really had no stolen merchandise and they stopped you, you will absolutely win in court.

Just to be more specific like I meant to have been, the comment above about how I think you should sue is for TREYSHINE in GLENDALE, ARIZONA!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Lp guy in Pennsylvania

66 months ago

You guys who defend Kmart are crazy!! Must be one of the few companies you worked for. Anyone who has worked for another LP orginization knows they are at the bottom. You DO report to the store manager and he does your review. However, your DLPM will also have job resposibilities for you to complete. They have limited resources, cameras and staff. It is hands off so anyone can get in a first violent act on you. Training is non-existent. You sign off on a 12 week program for a LPM and get about 2-3 weeks. It's 80% floor work for the detectives so many cases are let go-very frustrating to a good worker. Shortage is very bad and they don't seem to have a handle on how to correct it. They should hire in-store or district auditors to do safety and operational audits. Lp team should be given more resources for internal and external investigations. As far as working 50 hours-this is a discounter trick-they pay you a little bit extra and expect 50-60 hours-a joke. For the guy who said if you want to make arrests-join a police department, that's just silly-you shouldn't be in LP but an auditor. Companies expect their Lp teams to make detainments on shoplifters. No LP is respected unless you make quality internal and external cases. That's what most store staff and managers judge you by-good or bad. KMart does not allow you to do it. Trust me-look elsewhere. Yes, I work there as an LPM, but not for long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Candy Summers in Parkersburg, West Virginia

63 months ago

TROY in Tampa, Florida said: IM A FORMER LOSS PREVENTION MANAGER FOR THIS COMPANY AND LET ME TELL YOU THIS COMPANY IS A JOKE. SOME STORES HAVE NO CAMERAS AND SOME HAVE S***** ONES. YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO HANDCUFF SHOPLIFTERS BECAUSE THEY HAVE MORE RIGHTS THAN YOU DO. YOUR PAPERWORK WORK LOAD IS WAY OVER THE LIMIT AND ITS ATLEAST 12 OR 13 HOURS A DAY YOUR WORKING. YOU REPORT TO THE STORE COACH WHO MAKES YOU DO NON LOSS PREVENTION WORK AND YOU HAVE A LP DISTRICT COACH WHO DOESNT SUPPORT YOU AND JUST SAYS GET ERR DONE. THERE IS NO PROPER STRUCTURED TRAINING SO MOST NEWBEES HAVE NO CLUE WHATS GOING ON AND WHEN THEY FAIL THEY TRY TO BLAME THE TRAINING LP MANAGER WHO HAS ENOUGH STUFF TO WORRY ABOUT. SAFETY SEEMS TO BE NUMBER ONE OVER MOST OTHER THINGS. INTERNALS SHOULD BE A PRIORITY BUT THEIR REALLY NOT. OUT OF DATES ARE MORE OF A PRIORITY THAN SOME YOUNG CASHIER CLEANING OUT THE REGISTER. YOU HAVE YOUR OWN STORE BUT YOUR NEVER WORKING IN IT.
THE SALARY ISNT WORTH THE HEADACHE AND STRESS THIS DEAD SMELLY STORE CREATES.

What about false accusations that an lp makes against an employee? can they get by with that? especially when they say they have a video of proof when they don't even show they employee the alleged theft? and can a lp manager fudge with those so called vcr tapes????? and is lost prevention with kmart or are they a "separate company"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

lp chick in Wilmington, North Carolina

63 months ago

I worked for this company as an LPM for a few months and it was the WORST career decision I have ever made. LP guy in PA is sooooo right. They said that I was going to be trained for 12 weeks, but in reality it lasted 1 week and I was thrown to the wolves in a store and was expected to perform like I was a 20 year veteran by my District Manager. The DM didnt have a clue and our district was LAST in the region for internal, externals and our stupid "metrics" requirements. The DM threatened the LPM's and micro-managed the hell out of us and he made us go to stupid LPM meetings where he would motivate by fear and intimidation rather than by positive coaching. At my store the previous LPM had been there for 2 years and quit within 2 months of the new DM coming on board. Then they hired my predecessor who lasted 6 weeks before he quit. Then I foolishly came on board and lasted a few months before I left in disgust. We were expected to work 6 days per week 50+ hours and have no life but kmart. No training, worthless equipment and stupid KPI's every month in addition to the other dumb audits were too much.

My advice STAY CLEAR OF THIS DUMP!!! Find another company that is more professional! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

wolf davis in lambertville, New Jersey

62 months ago

I applied to a full time night crew position in the trenton nj kmart. I had the interview scheduled for 3 weeks, and she calls me 20 minutes before the interview to tell that there's a hiring freeze. That's tells me exactly what kind of company they are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lp7653 in Big Bear City, California

59 months ago

hway in Virginia said: LP guy in Pennsylvania is right on the money. I took a position as a Loss Prevention Associate, even though I wasn't fond of Kmart, because I know it's the field I want to pursue. But what a mistake that proved to be!! They treat their employees like crap, and there really is no training since the ones training you aren't even trained so well. Bottom line, find a LP job elsewhere. If you can't find one elsewhere right away, take a different position somewhere and keep trying to find a LP job with a more stable company.

k-mart in big bear lake is the bigest crapy store anyone reading this needs to stay away from the black rasist management team there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

LPA7620 in Chisholm, Minnesota

57 months ago

Just got hired as LPA. Worked Sporting goods prior to that. I don't know what some of you are talking about when you say Kmart treats employees like crap. At my store, we are all pretty close as associates and get along very well- even with managers. I agree that the shoplifters have more rights than LP do and that should be changed. Another thing, the training I'm going through is great! I'm learning how to catch lifters from my LPM, who leads our district in detentions. And LPA3369, you should have been more productive in detentions. The cameras you put up were probably needed and guess what- THAT'S PART OF YOUR JOB! I just installed a new camera and did maintenence on 4 more today and I'm not complaining. And if I get let go due to lack of detentions, so be it, if you're gonna be an LP, get your detentions, bottom line. And you don't report to your store coach, report to your DM if you're an LPM or your LPM if you're an LPA. Work WITH your store coach, not under. That was my rant, any questions? you can reply to this comment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Lp21 in Auburn, California

57 months ago

lpa3369 in Sacramento, California said: Man I just resigned from my job at K-mat LP. I worked there for approximately 4 months. First it took over a month for them to send me to get my 3 stops to get certified. In the mean time I had 3 viable stops that I couldnt detain, so I just made a prevention with recovery. After I got certified, I walked the floors day and night, and they only gave me a limited number of part time hours. I don't see how I can catch someone on a part time basis anywho. But I got an "employee interview" (write-up) after 2 months of not catching anyone, even though I had another 2 preventions, and was working on 2 or 3 internals. after another month or so, I was advised by my LPC (Manager) that I was going to be let go by the DM and his bosses because I only caught one shoplifter. Nay they think of the entire camera system that I rewired for them, and installed 2 or 3 new cameras, or how I placed new cieling tiles in place, oh lets not take into consideration the times I came in on my day off to cover for my LPC, or all the nights before my shift was over how I ran all the daily reports for him, or even how I was busy moving stockrooms, and organizing paperwork for the store coach that I couldnt spend my time on the floor catching externals. Gotta love how they take all your extra work into consideration. I followed several people, and decided against stopping because I lost one of my steps, but I guarantee had I stopped them I would have made a viable recovery. Yes sir, one must enjoy the way your hard work, and dedication is taken into consideration with this company.

So i just had a quick qeustion for you....what kmart did you work fo r in sacramento??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hawk046 in Lansdowne, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

anthony1 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania said: I have a question out of curiosity, How much does the Loss Prevention Coach Make on average for a yearly salary? please respond asap thankyou.

Not enough for what they expect. They are the lowest pay grade company for quality professionals in this field.most LPM's know more then the district and regional managers that don't even know what door to walk in when they come to your store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hway in Virginia

57 months ago

In VA, my former LPM was making about $16-$17 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hawk046 in Lansdowne, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

he was under paid, I could run this companies Loss Prevention dept. and get better results as well as treating all LP the right way. We are in a depression at this time. you think no one is stealing and all they are worried about is audits and eas tagging. someone needs to get a brain in this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mc15jewels in tyngsboro, Massachusetts

56 months ago

william in Phoenix, Arizona said: as a lp manager your not a floor lp making arrests anymore. sure you get some time on the floor but your supposed to deal with all the other stuff. lp managers are in charge of the cash office receiving and front end operations. you supervise and audit every area where merchandise is coming or going and cash changes hands.

if the job is done the way kmart directs it and you manage your time and people you can make a huge impact.

after all it is kmart not troy mart. when you started you contracted with kmart to do a job they way they want it and in turn they pay you. as a salaried manager your expected to work 50 hour a week. yep thats 10 to 12 or more hours a day. if you dont like it you shouldnt have contracted to do the job.

I just love your responses, are you the host on this site?
Wait your day will come when they give you your walking papers and you won't know what hit you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

John Doe Tx in Texas

55 months ago

I see people here saying 'try Target', well Target Sucks, here is some LP info on them from my blog at:

www.targetfiling.blogspot.com

C. Five Steps for Apprehension

Certified AP team members must observe all five steps prior to making a shoplifter apprehension.

NOTE: If local law enforcement takes independent action and makes an apprehension before all five steps are met, the details must be documented in the CIRS report.

1. Initiation of Observation - The subject must enter the store/area without possession of Target merchandise.

2. Selection - The subject must be observed selecting Target merchandise from the display location.

3. Concealment - The subject must be observed concealing the merchandise, or the AP team member must have NO reasonable doubt based on observations that the merchandise has been concealed by the subject.

NOTE: If the merchandise is not actually concealed, it must be exposed as the subject exits or attempts to exit the store.

4. Maintain Observation - The AP team member must maintain sufficient surveillance of the subject in order to know the location of the merchandise and ensure the subject does not discard the merchandise.

NOTE: A Productive Merchandise Recovery (PMR) shall be attempted if surveillance is broken for any reason, or the AP team member can not maintain sufficient surveillance. (See PMR Directive)

5. Failure to Pay for Merchandise/Exiting the Store -AP team member(s) must observe the subject attempt to exit the store without paying for the merchandise.

NOTE: Some jurisdictions allow variances from the exiting requirement to allow apprehensions of concealed merchandise before an individual reaches the building’s exit. In these cases, the requirements must be documented and approved by the Director or Vice President of Assets Protection using the “Variance from Exiting Form” (found on the AP Zone).

----------------------------------------------

D. Restroom

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Exkaped in Tulsa, Oklahoma

48 months ago

Just don't, you'll be sorry....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

L.H.

46 months ago

I worked as a LP manager at Kmart for almost 2 years, in August we were informed that are store would be closing, I was then asked to stay on and take over Lp manager of another store in my district after my store closed in November. A week before my store closed, I was informed that I could not go and work in the other store or ever work in any Kmart or Sears Holding stores agian, due to a "Store Closing Policy" When I asked to see the policy in writing they ignored me... Has Anyone Had this happen to them or heard anything about this happening in other stores..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Boopster in Newport News, Virginia

46 months ago

yes I agree, the loss prevention dept sucks. Their investigation process is a joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

nola_pro in Slidell, Louisiana

46 months ago

L.H. said: I worked as a LP manager at Kmart for almost 2 years, in August we were informed that are store would be closing, I was then asked to stay on and take over Lp manager of another store in my district after my store closed in November. A week before my store closed, I was informed that I could not go and work in the other store or ever work in any Kmart or Sears Holding stores agian, due to a "Store Closing Policy" When I asked to see the policy in writing they ignored me... Has Anyone Had this happen to them or heard anything about this happening in other stores..

I have worked for Kmart 2 separate times...1st as LPM, 2nd as Asst Store Manager. Both times I was very, very upset with the way I was treated. This last time I was Asst Manager...the store was closed down, I was laid off, and apparently I am on the same list as you...I am unable to work at any Kmart or Sears from here on out. I can't even get a response from any stores...even though I now live in another state!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

L.H.

46 months ago

I can't get a reponse from anyone either, I was told even if I try to re apply I would be RED FLAGED. I can't understand how they can legally do this, this Policy also effected about 80% of all the people who where employed in my store. Kmart/Sears Holding is laying off people who are good employees, and refusing to re-hire them in other store's just because they were employed in a store that was closing, when they have several job openings in other stores. They are adding to the unemployent rate and deficit because of their ignorant company policies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

I love my job NOT in Florida

46 months ago

So how do all of you that defended Kmart feel now that they just cut the LP department? Most are now hourly leads making way less than you did when you were hired. They also terminated a few LP managers and cut the full time LPA positions. If this was a restructure of the LP department why didn't the DM's and above get cut or get a reduction in their pay? Kmart never learns from their mistakes. They have done this in the past and learned that it was a BIG mistake. They will see when the shrink numbers go up that they were a bunch of idiots making such a drastic change. For those of you thinking of applying with Kmart don't! Kmart will not be around long enough for you to get a raise. Oh wait a minute did someone mention raise? What is that??? They have already started selling out the Craftsman name. The CEO has left and most likely because he wants to have a job in the future. I give Kmart a couple years before all the stores close. Good luck to all those still around!

I love my job NOT in Florida

46 months ago

Oh I forgot to mention that before they did this "restructure" the terminated several Loss Prevention employees for violating the "new" policies. That was a bunch of BS as well. They changed the policy four times in a couple months. All they were trying to do is open up positions to bring in the new managers at the new starting rate. When they couldn't get rid of anymore managers and associates they "restructured" the LP department. We are trained to read people and we are reading Kmart. They are full of it! They can call it what ever they want, but the truth of it is is that they feel they can hire people at a new lower rate because of the economy. Good luck finding dedicated people. Many of those that Kmart are hurting are the people that have been with Kmart for a long time. These are dedicated people and most are worth what they are being paid. Enjoy your new managers and enjoy the quality of work that they will give you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brandon88 in Louisville, Kentucky

46 months ago

Here is my story on Kmart LP...

At first, being an LPA for Kmart was a dream job for me. I'm studying criminal justice in school and I saw this position as a great opportunity to build a foundation and gain experience for a future career in law enforcement. About a month and a half into my time as an LPA and two apprehensions under my belt, I observed a very nervous looking female select an item from cosmetics. I then followed her to the pool supplies and toy section of the store(a very common area of concealment). Once there she caught on to me following her. I backed off for a little bit and observed her make her way out of the department without the merchandise. I then followed her as she nervously made her way out of the store. I professionaly confronted her outside of the store. She said she did not know who I was and asked that I get away from her. She then went back into the store frightened. She went up to the customer service desk and claimed that there had been someone who was pretending to be store security and had following her around the store. thirty minutes later her husband called the store and told the manager that a security guy had followed her wife around the store and accused her of shoplifting. Her husband also came into the store and asked for my name! OKAY SO.. 1. Yes, I know I did not see the concealment and reacted off of a hunch. however I have witnessed several stops by other LPA in which the concealement was not totally seen but the stop was still made with a viable recovery. 2. this lady appeared nervous the first time I had seen her(before I was even aware of her presence inside the store and began following her). Due to her crying and frightened behavior, I unnecessarily felt like some sort of stalking nutjob and not to mention her idiot husband came in and actually tried to get my name. All that I am saying is if you want this job be prepared. There could be potential for alot of unwanted headaches and trouble.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Brandon88 in Louisville, Kentucky said: Here is my story on Kmart LP...

At first, being an LPA for Kmart was a dream job for me. I'm studying criminal justice in school and I saw this position as a great opportunity to build a foundation and gain experience for a future career in law enforcement. About a month and a half into my time as an LPA and two apprehensions under my belt, I observed a very nervous looking female select an item from cosmetics. I then followed her to the pool supplies and toy section of the store(a very common area of concealment). Once there she caught on to me following her. I backed off for a little bit and observed her make her way out of the department without the merchandise. I then followed her as she nervously made her way out of the store. I professionaly confronted her outside of the store. She said she did not know who I was and asked that I get away from her. She then went back into the store frightened. She went up to the customer service desk crying and claimed that there had been someone who was pretending to be store security and had following her around the store. thirty minutes later her husband called the store and told the manager that a security guy had followed his wife around the store and accused her of shoplifting. Her husband also came into the store and asked for my name! OKAY SO.. 1. Yes, I know I did not see the concealment and reacted off of a hunch. however I have witnessed several stops by other LPA in which the concealement was not totally seen but the stop was still made with a viable recovery. 2. this lady appeared nervous the first time I had seen her(before I was even aware of her presence inside the store and began following her). Due to her crying and frightened behavior, I unnecessarily felt like some sort of stalking nutjob and not to mention her idiot husband came in and actually tried to get my name. All that I am saying is if you want this job be prepared for potential unwanted headaches.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

L.H.

46 months ago

Hey Brandon don't mean to bring you down or anything, but sounds like to me that you brought that head ache on to your self. You just can't accuse someone of Lifting if you did not observe the concealment and who ever trained you that making a stop that way is ok was wrong. And I am sure that she prob. did take the merchandise, but you just have to let it go, trust me I have been doing this for a long time, and if you cant convence someone like that shop lifter that you know they have it, and where on their person the stuff is, your just going to run into problems, I know the steps are bull most the time, but have have to follow them to save your own butt esp. at Kmat because they will screw you, and never back you up on anything. Good Luck...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

L.H. said: Hey Brandon don't mean to bring you down or anything, but sounds like to me that you brought that head ache on to your self. You just can't accuse someone of Lifting if you did not observe the concealment and who ever trained you that making a stop that way is ok was wrong. And I am sure that she prob. did take the merchandise, but you just have to let it go, trust me I have been doing this for a long time, and if you cant convence someone like that shop lifter that you know they have it, and where on their person the stuff is, your just going to run into problems, I know the steps are bull most the time, but have have to follow them to save your own butt esp. at Kmat because they will screw you, and never back you up on anything. Good Luck...

Yeah I realize that I brought it on myself. Had I been trained the proper way and nothing but the proper way this probably would not have happened, but the truth is being an LP for Kmart puts you under alot of pressure with quotas to reach every month(which leads to risk taking and skipping steps of proof) and the insecurity of keeping your job just isnt neccessary for a college student.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Exkaped in Tulsa, Oklahoma

45 months ago

Yeah, Kmart will push you too hard. If you don't make apprehensions you'll be fired. Your DM will secretly condone bending the rules to make your stats high. Your DM will throw you under a bus and deny everything if you make a mistake. If you own up to making a bad stop you will get a final corrective. If you make a second bad stop you'll be fired. If you don't report a bad stop and get caught you'll be fired. What is your motivation to be truthful? If you truly have integrity at KMart, you'll be fired. Some LP department.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John Doe Tx in Texas

45 months ago

Training isn't very good in most retail stores. When I started out it was for Zayre (E Coast chain) which was like Kmart. I spent a week in the N. Miami Bch store to learn the dept mgr role, called Lead Security Officer, it was the Security Manager job in store without the title.

Over many years I worked for retail dept stores (incl Kmart briefly) and grocery operations, just over 2,000 arrests before I left that area.

I regard all this time spent (13 yrs overall) as an interesting time but all in all wasted years. I would NOT recommend anyone to go into any aspect of retail including 'security'. The pay in all of retail sucks and for the danger you face in security it is NOT worth it.

I made apprehensions low as 1 fishing sinker up to 2 mink coats. I was only injured once and off for six weeks and only shot at once, guy missed and I didn't. Got him 4 times with my 9 mm, after that I moved up to a Colt 45. Turned out the John Doe had escaped from a Texas prison where he was doing time for auto theft. Most stores don't allow you to carry firearms or even Mace, this grocery store chain out west did.

Only lost 3 cases as I recall, 2 sued and got settlements of $1,500 from the insurance company.

Summary: Retail sucks and particularly 'Security' work in retail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lost dog in Shepherdsville, Kentucky

44 months ago

For all of you, I worked Kmart LP as a manager. I was transfered to the house of pain 4027 (inner city detroit). They lost 1.6 million in one year. I was sent to make things right. Yes management is endless paperwork. The region LP VP came in and got up in my face about fire reports. I told him if that's the only thing you find wrong here get the "F" out of my office. A year later the loss was 160,000. I broke every corporate rule they ever had but my paper work looked good and I got the job done. The world is what you make it.

John Doe Tx in Texas said: Training isn't very good in most retail stores. When I started out it was for Zayre (E Coast chain) which was like Kmart. I spent a week in the N. Miami Bch store to learn the dept mgr role, called Lead Security Officer, it was the Security Manager job in store without the title.

Over many years I worked for retail dept stores (incl Kmart briefly) and grocery operations, just over 2,000 arrests before I left that area.

I regard all this time spent (13 yrs overall) as an interesting time but all in all wasted years. I would NOT recommend anyone to go into any aspect of retail including 'security'. The pay in all of retail sucks and for the danger you face in security it is NOT worth it.

I made apprehensions low as 1 fishing sinker up to 2 mink coats. I was only injured once and off for six weeks and only shot at once, guy missed and I didn't. Got him 4 times with my 9 mm, after that I moved up to a Colt 45. Turned out the John Doe had escaped from a Texas prison where he was doing time for auto theft. Most stores don't allow you to carry firearms or even Mace, this grocery store chain out west did.

Only lost 3 cases as I recall, 2 sued and got settlements of $1,500 from the insurance company.

Summary: Retail sucks and particularly 'Security' work in retail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

DMartin in Independence, Missouri

43 months ago

I don't understand why anyone who can pass a background check would want to work in retail loss prevention period. For the Mickey Mouse crap they have you people doing it is the biggest waste of money in the business. You have no real pull when it comes to store operations that result in real waste and I have yet to see a retail operation where the low echelons of Loss Preventions aren't pitted against the store team by some fat head DM or RM. You have big mouthed District managers talking trash and the minute you need backing they buckle like a bunch of whimps. There is always some expert coming along who is gonna revolutionize Loss Prevention and update the program. Well folks has anything really changed? Get a real job already.

No matter what they say about waste they are constantly whining about shoplifter apprehensions and statistics and sticking their nose up every backside in order to stay out of the political targetshoot. Most of these Neanderthals don't know squat about business, have no backbone and no matter how hard you try at store level you are never gonna be much more than a fancy go-fer. I'd love to see real changes in the career field, but frankly it ain't gonna happen no matter how many BS security certifications you get or organizations you join. A little old merchandising assistant manager has more ability to make a difference in waste control than a slug of Regional LP Managers and that is fact. I have yet to see a regional or district LP person that even grasps what a P&L is about.

The pay is a joke across the board. Can you actually care and provide adequately for your family on the what you get as a retail LP person? Gimme a break. I moved on years ago and and can tell you that you are wasting your time in retail if you have anything on the ball. It is a kids game designed for those who don't know any better and not old enough to know you wont be around anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MCamp in Augusta, Georgia

42 months ago

I just started working part-time at Kmart as a part-time LPA. We have a top of the line ADT camera system that is by far the best that I have seen. I think that system alone hit kmart up for about 200K with 65 cameras they are great. I have been training for two days and have nailed 3 shoplifters, reason I am doing this is for extra money for the holidays I have a background in law enforcment and am currently a full time federal law enforcement officer.

The way we run it is one person in the LP office with the cameras and the other person walking around now the store I am at is a big money maker in the area and a very high theft store darn crack heads come in and take off running thru the store. I feel everyones pain on the policies and they are there for a reason but you have to have a manager that will stand up for whats right people around here will try you everyday. The pay is not bad even though the manager tried to take me for a fool and offer me $7.25 after showing him my 2 BA degrees and federal certifications he up it to high $10 range which is not bad for part time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

murphy in Lutz, Florida

42 months ago

treyshine in glendale, Arizona said: I keep reading that KMART LP are not allowed to use handcuffs to detain suspected shoplifters, but I beg to differ. I was physically assaulted and handcuffed by a KMART rent a cop, and I didn't even steal anything. I happen to have a large purse because I have 6 kids and I usually use it as a diaper bag too. Anyway, I was digging in my purse for my cell phone a few times while I was shopping, and I guess from where he was it looked like I was putting stuff in there. They approached me just outside the front door of the store and accused me of shoplifting. I explained to him that I had been looking for my phone, not putting merchandise in my purse. I even let him look in my purse to see that there was nothing there, but he was not satisfied with that and told me I would have to come back inside with him. When I refused, he literally tackled me to the ground and handcuffed me so tight it broke the skin in several places on my wrists and arms. I have several bruises on both of my arms, and two of the fingers on my left hand are jammed. I am in real pain from this, and it blows me away that he is allowed to do that. He should be arrested for assault as far as I'm concerned, especially since I never took anything in the first place. My husband wants me to sue KMART, but I dont know...

are you kidding me sue the crap out of them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

murphy in Lutz, Florida

42 months ago

Just make sure you don't make a bad stop or get yourself hurt bad enough that it will hurt your true career job. Remember you can't stop people snd pull out your federal badge and say who you are. If you make a bad stop and pull your fed. badge out you're in trouble buddy. Happy hunting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

murphy in Lutz, Florida

42 months ago

NEVER EVER EVER EVER stop anyone without seeing a concealment and having constant observation. Especially after they made you and are scared to death you fool. You should have beat her to the door and pulled your radio out and made like you were talking to someone and looked at her directly in the eye and told her have a nice day. Usually if they see you at the door they turn around and dump the merch.

murphy in Lutz, Florida

42 months ago

Brandon88 in Louisville, Kentucky said: Yeah I realize that I brought it on myself. Had I been trained the proper way and nothing but the proper way this probably would not have happened, but the truth is being an LP for Kmart puts you under alot of pressure with quotas to reach every month(which leads to risk taking and skipping steps of proof) and the insecurity of keeping your job just isnt neccessary for a college student.

don't forget the customer can sue you too if you make a bad stop. Your employer will hang you out to dry and say we didn't train him like that and he violated our policies. Work as a cashier or receiving

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

murphy in Lutz, Florida said: Just make sure you don't make a bad stop or get yourself hurt bad enough that it will hurt your true career job. Remember you can't stop people snd pull out your federal badge and say who you are. If you make a bad stop and pull your fed. badge out you're in trouble buddy. Happy hunting

That will never be the case only thing that helps is that I know all the local LE so that is a plus got most of them on speed dial they respond with in about 5mins or so if they are not on anything. I got the whole six steps down and my view is if I dont see you then you will be back another day.

The store I'm in loves doing internals my view on that being $20 short here and there is not enough for me to start investigating you for theft. Now if it is a pattern then I will look into it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

MCamp in Augusta, Georgia said: I just started working part-time at Kmart as a part-time LPA. We have a top of the line ADT camera system that is by far the best that I have seen. I think that system alone hit kmart up for about 200K with 65 cameras they are great. I have been training for two days and have nailed 3 shoplifters, reason I am doing this is for extra money for the holidays I have a background in law enforcment and am currently a full time federal law enforcement officer.

The pay is not bad even though the manager tried to take me for a fool and offer me $7.25 after showing him my 2 BA degrees and federal certifications he up it to high $10 range which is not bad for part time.

You are a full time Federal Law Enforcement Officer, with two BA's and you are working for $10.00 as a part time store dick for Kmart? Sorry dude, but I'm having a little trouble buying into that one. What Federal Agency are you working full time for, what is your GS Rating and what is your job title? That one is just a little deep for me to swallow there guy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

DMartin in Independence, Missouri said: You are a full time Federal Law Enforcement Officer, with two BA's and you are working for $10.00 as a part time store dick for Kmart? Sorry dude, but I'm having a little trouble buying into that one. What Federal Agency are you working full time for, what is your GS Rating and what is your job title? That one is just a little deep for me to swallow there guy.

Well not in the GS system but the E system if you would E6 Military Police, Army if that helps so with that not really after the money as most just love money and with a company where I can pretty much make my work week is a plus. Also if I decide to get out of the military and go full time in loss prevention its start I have already been offered a LPM around 36K or so a year for kmart on my first week but again I want part time. So I hope all that helps you swallow a little no need for me to come on here and post something that is not true BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Laureen Philley in Taft, California

40 months ago

I recently applied for a job with Kmart here in Taft, CA which is a very small community on the east coast of California. After reading both replies from Troy in Tamp, Florida, and William in Phoenix, Arizona makes me wonder if Kmart Corp. has a limitation on training and support among their stores i.e. profit margins etc. Not that I see this to be true; however, it does concern me. I would like to believe that it is in the best interest of Kmart Corp. that all stores reflect upon saving ithe bottom line…money.
Rather you are in wholesale, retail, and any other type of businessloss prevention plays a big part in all business types. Although I may have received a certificate in Human Resources and my AS degree in business, it doesn’t give you the true insight of what is really going on in the work place unless you experience it personally. As an experienced employee that has been subject to many fields, my first concept in any loss prevention would begin among the employees. Why? They are the beginning of the food chain…so to speak. They are the one’s that a company relies upon to successfully make sure the orders are faithfully complied with…i.e. management and employees. Let’s not forget the old time ‘Shoplifter’, which carries numerous counts of ‘Why’s’ on our list…i.e. human psychology, which we are not in the field of study. What we do know is this: since we are not in the field of ‘Human Behavior’, we can only utilize what we do know, and that is to protect our own investment.
I recently applied for a job with Kmart here in Taft, CA which is a very small community on the east coast of California. After reading both replies from Troy in Tamp, Florida, and William in Phoenix, Arizona makes me wonder if Kmart Corp. has a limitation on training and support among their stores i.e. profit margins etc. Not that I see this to be true; however, it does concern me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

I think retail loss prevention is like a bad blood line. There are decades of poor training from poor trainers from poor organizations. The general experience level in investigation, risk management, physical security, etc. is elementary and at corporate level the well is pretty much dry. There just is no real experience or related knowledge. I suggest this is because retail Loss Prevention has failed to provide sufficient income to attract knowledgeable, experienced people and LP is self corrupting. It has failed, across the board, at establishing anything close to minimum uniform and professional standards throughout the industry. Although there are organizations like ASIS, the retail arena is like a room full of politicians feeding on each other. Dreaming up superfluous programs to adulate corporate fathers will always take precedence over professional time tested methods and ethics. Retail loss prevention just has not grown much in terms of training, experience or professionalism.

After decades there are still no real professional standards, even in the very limited, resource wasteful and elementary ways that loss prevention conducts business as a whole. It isn't just Kmart as almost all LP organizations (known by whatever trendy name of the week) are motivated more by underlying fear than expertise, integrity and knowledge of relevant subject matter. As long as we call the amateurs who are running the Loss Prevention show, "professionals", things will continue to be just more of the same.

The Loss Prevention gauge of professionalism is more about retreat then improvement. There is a mentality where if someone files a suit, heads roll and policies become more conservative. The minions often call these retreats being professional, but what it really is is an industry failing to muster the expertise to properly train and educate. As long as Loss Prevention stumbles along as the lost step child to retail it will be what it is..and that isn't a whole lot

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

I think retail loss prevention is like a bad blood line.There are decades of poor training from poor trainers from poor organizations. The general experience level in investigation, risk management, physical security, etc. is elementary and at corporate level the well is pretty much dry. There just is no real experience or related knowledge. I suggest this is because retail Loss Prevention has failed to provide sufficient income to attract knowledgeable, experienced people and LP is self corrupting. It has failed, across the board, at establishing anything close to minimum uniform and professional standards throughout the industry. Although there are organizations like ASIS, the retail arena is like a room full of politicians feeding on each other. Dreaming up superfluous programs to adulate corporate fathers will always take precedence over professional time tested methods and ethics. Retail loss prevention just has not grown much in terms of training, experience or professionalism.

After decades there are still no real professional standards, even in the very limited, resource wasteful and elementary ways that loss prevention conducts business as a whole. It isn't just Kmart as almost all LP organizations (known by whatever trendy name of the week) are motivated more by underlying fear than expertise, integrity and knowledge of relevant subject matter. As long as we call the amateurs who are running the Loss Prevention show, "professionals", things will continue to be just more of the same.

The Loss Prevention gauge of professionalism is more about retreat then improvement. There is a mentality where if someone files a suit, heads roll and policies become more conservative. The minions often call these retreats being professional, but what it really is is an industry failing to muster the expertise to properly train and educate. As long as Loss Prevention stumbles along as the lost step child to retail it will be what it is..and that isn't a whole lot

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.