How to get a job at Kmart.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 67)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Kmart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Chris

86 months ago

Its VERY hard to get a job with Sears Holding Corp. (K-mart). So, if you apply with kmart, and dont get a interview, try again in about 6 months. When applying for K-mart, you will be using a program called Odyssey. The computer will ask you a whole lot of questions and if you answer right and such, the computer will schedule an interview, even without HR looking at your app. So, getting an interview with K-mart is VERY slim. Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (134) / No (60) Reply - Report abuse

Been there in Harold, Kentucky

85 months ago

Chris said: Its VERY hard to get a job with Sears Holding Corp. (K-mart). So, if you apply with kmart, and dont get a interview, try again in about 6 months. When applying for K-mart, you will be using a program called Odyssey. The computer will ask you a whole lot of questions and if you answer right and such, the computer will schedule an interview, even without HR looking at your app. So, getting an interview with K-mart is VERY slim. Best of luck!

It is not hard to get an interview with Kmart. For sales associates all you have to do is go to the designated area, usually in the front of the store by the service desk, there is a computer only for applying. If you pass the test, (a little hint), answer definitly yes or definitly no, nothing in the middle, you will be advised to go to the service desk and schedule an interview. Seeing that Kmart has such a high turnover, the HR Manager will definitly contact you if the store employs one and or a good one. She does however have a lot on her plate with interviews and training so it may take a little while. Do not be afraid to call her if you have not heard anything. She or he schedules all interviews and will need the help of the management team to complete and interview and offer or not offer the interviewee a position. As for management, don't mess with the store location as far as applying. Call or google for the District Manager's office number. He or she is the only one who can hire management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (92) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Big Dummy in Rochester, New York

82 months ago

Get an education, why in God's name would you want to work at a K-mart unless you were pretty desperate? That I could understand and sympathize with. Best wishes to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (182) Reply - Report abuse

cher small in Williamsport, Pennsylvania

82 months ago

I like to work at k mart

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

scout in grover beach, California

82 months ago

Kmart has a strict background check and drug testing. Its easy to get a job there with the computer application but if you have committed theft or other crime and use drugs you will not get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (71) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Dawn in Cleveland, Ohio

80 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Kmart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I checked thru the available store positions and applied on their website and was chosen for an interview right off, and I think giving a wide range of days/hours availability and having no drug issues or any kind of criminal record were the biggest factors. However, I noticed that the store I'm interviewing at has lots of applicants, so I expect their interviewing/screening is pretty stringent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sherwood mccrary in Brevard, North Carolina

76 months ago

i would love to get a job at kmart i'm handicapped i can put together just about anything or i can stock or what ever you need me to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

anjlina anjong in Australia

75 months ago

i m looking for work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

flap hohn in Helena, Montana

74 months ago

Chris said: Its VERY hard to get a job with Sears Holding Corp. (K-mart). So, if you apply with kmart, and dont get a interview, try again in about 6 months. When applying for K-mart, you will be using a program called Odyssey. The computer will ask you a whole lot of questions and if you answer right and such, the computer will schedule an interview, even without HR looking at your app. So, getting an interview with K-mart is VERY slim. Best of luck!

You stand corrected! The turnover rate is high, because it is not nice to work there. They are always hiring at k-mart!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

flap hohn in Helena, Montana

74 months ago

Big Dummy in Rochester, New York said: Get an education, why in God's name would you want to work at a K-mart unless you were pretty desperate? That I could understand and sympathize with. Best wishes to you.

a-men to that brother

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (58) Reply - Report abuse

Kevinanon in Saint Louis, Missouri

74 months ago

Hard to get a job at Kmart? Wow, are we thinking of the same company? Kmart, for their hourly positions, is always hiring and will pretty much hire ANYONE. Just pass the questions on the application by lying and show up for the interview. The interview is the easiest interview ever.

But it's a pretty terrible company to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ebony davis in Richmond, Virginia

73 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Kmart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Yes I do!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

LC in Salome, Arizona

71 months ago

I was prompted by the computer to schedule an interview, but then there were no dates available. Apparently they only have interviews on Tuesday evenings. What are you supposed to do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

kayleen calkins in Huron, South Dakota

70 months ago

I doubt it could be too hard. I was pretty much handed a job by going through the checkout line cause i could figure out what the tax would be in my head.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

pamijay in elmhurst, New York

70 months ago

even though you get date for intreview and call for confirm and go for interview there in no gurentee that kamart has job oppening. HR will say ohhhh we are cutting hours we don't have opening for position you applied for. so not worth it to waste time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

esosh in Staten Island, New York

70 months ago

Hi Guys, 2 days ago ? had an interview with K-mart.They hire me that day as an sales associate and seasonal.They said me they will call me for oriantation But after 2 day passed from the interview, they havent called me yet.What should ? do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

wolf davis in lambertville, New Jersey

67 months ago

I applied to a full time night crew position in the trenton nj kmart. I had the interview scheduled for 3 weeks, and she calls me 20 minutes before the interview to tell that there's a hiring freeze. She also told me the job was part-time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Luis H in Fairfax, Virginia

67 months ago

I work evenings and weekends at K-mart around my day job. It's not tough to get hired if you can work the hours they need and they are hiring when you apply.

They do not drug test. If so a lot of their employees (including me) would be out of work. What they do is have you answer questions, including about drugs, on your application. If you are smart enough to give them the answers they expect, then you might get hired. If you give them honest answers, then you are either a dumb ass who won't get hired or maybe you will get hired because you have never done or thought nothing wrong. act like a boy scout when you apply and you have a good chance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Lhasa in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

Getting hired with Kmart is very easy. All I did was apply online, set up an interview after the questionnaire, show up to the interview, confirm that I am available the hours I put down on the application, and I got the job.

I will say that the Kmart was desperate for workers, so the hiring process may be slightly difficult if they aren't really in need of many people. Good luck to everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

meacham0527 in Birmingham, Alabama

65 months ago

With the Kmart I worked at there was no drug testing. i went into the store and applied on their computer. they called me a few days later and eventually got the job. I didnt like working there. You NEVER had any normal hours, all the coworkers stole stuff every day, the supervisor that worked at the customer service desk was a b****. My overall experiance was a waste of my time. I worked there for a year. They started me off at 6.25 an hour and when I quit my pay was 7.00. i asked several times to get off of the register and do something else but that never happened. Their prices were never right in the computer so you had to constantly deal with rude customers. It was so aggrivating and stressful. I would never work there again and I wish the best to anyone that does.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Arnaldo De Jesus in Virginia Beach, Virginia

65 months ago

It's actually INCREDIBLY EASY to get an interview..all you gotta do is NOT answer any question that has a "Unsure or I don't know" as an answer choice..as that will automatically disqualify you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Kevinanon in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Hard to get a job at Kmart? Wow, are we thinking of the same company? Kmart, for their hourly positions, is always hiring and will pretty much hire ANYONE. Just pass the questions on the application by lying and show up for the interview. The interview is the easiest interview ever.

But it's a pretty terrible company to work for.

I would have to disagree a bit with you on that Kmart will hire "ANYONE"...back in Jan i interviewed for my local store and the lady that interviewed me straight up told me that there were 2 other candidates that were "more experienced" despite the fact that I HAD worked at wal mart before and wasn't even considered..i didn't know it was "incredibly hard" to stock at Kmart.

On the good side I have another interview with a different Kmart later today..and strange thing is they called me yesterday to make sure i was able to make it and to bring 2 forms of ID...does that mean they WANT to hire me???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ann in Staten Island, New York

64 months ago

HEY guys,

Ive been working in Kmart almost for 6months.but I want to go back to my country for 1 months for vacation so I have to quit my job.Do u think when I came back,Do they still hire me? or do I lose my chance? and before we quit the job,we have to write something that we wanted to quit.Should I write something that I want to work with u after I come back or not?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

ann in Staten Island, New York said: HEY guys,

Ive been working in Kmart almost for 6months.but I want to go back to my country for 1 months for vacation so I have to quit my job.Do u think when I came back,Do they still hire me? or do I lose my chance? and before we quit the job,we have to write something that we wanted to quit.Should I write something that I want to work with u after I come back or not?

The rehire policy states that you can be reinstated from the day you quit to a max of 90 days and i believe with the same pay as you left..if more than 90 days goes by you'll have to go through the rehire process everybody goes through for new hires BUT your pay WILL be slashed to your store's starting pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CH?K? in Staten Island, New York

64 months ago

Arnaldo De Jesus in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: The rehire policy states that you can be reinstated from the day you quit to a max of 90 days and i believe with the same pay as you left..if more than 90 days goes by you'll have to go through the rehire process everybody goes through for new hires BUT your pay WILL be slashed to your store's starting pay.

DO U KNOW WHEN SHOULD I SAY THEM THAT IAM GOING TO BACK MY COUNTRY AND COME BACK HOW MANY DAYS BEFORE I LEAVE THE JOB?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

patters63 in Covington, Kentucky

64 months ago

pamijay in elmhurst, New York said: even though you get date for intreview and call for confirm and go for interview there in no gurentee that kamart has job oppening. HR will say ohhhh we are cutting hours we don't have opening for position you applied for. so not worth it to waste time.

That is what happened to me. I was a little angry about it, cuz I think she was full of it. Times are hard when I cant get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dimpleyy in Braintree, Massachusetts

64 months ago

Omg I just screwed up my application. I filled out everything up to the interview page and I waited too long and it exited. Now when I try it again.. they say I already applied for that job and I can't get back to the interview page. What should I do now?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

patters63 in Covington, Kentucky said: I did manage to get as far as an interview using the computer but when I went in the hiring manager said she could not find my app. She found it using my social num. but suddenly the jobs were all gone. I am african american I moved to Kentucky in july 2008. I was also told she offered the job to someone who lives in another state and wants to transfer to her store I waited a month for that interview. I was well groomed and prepared for the interview. I feel that the door closed for me as soon as I walked in the door very disappointing, but I will keep on trying. Thats all you can do.

You don't really want to work for Kmart..i was hired and quit 2 weeks later as i was offered another job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

dimpleyy in Braintree, Massachusetts said: Omg I just screwed up my application. I filled out everything up to the interview page and I waited too long and it exited. Now when I try it again.. they say I already applied for that job and I can't get back to the interview page. What should I do now?!

You should have gotten an email with the date and time of your interview..if that's not the case you should be able to log in again with your info..

FYI..you don't really want to work for Kmart..it SUCKS!!!...they are a really sloppy company. I worked for them 2 weeks and quit..management don't give a rats a** of what you do as long as you're doing something they leave you alone..also they don't care about safety either..at least that's how it was at the store i worked at.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

dimpleyy in Braintree, Massachusetts

64 months ago

Arnaldo De Jesus in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: You should have gotten an email with the date and time of your interview..if that's not the case you should be able to log in again with your info..

Hmm, but I haven't even picked my interview time yet.
Is there a help desk I can email or call?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Go the the actual Kmart page and search careers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

dimpleyy in Braintree, Massachusetts said: Hmm, but I haven't even picked my interview time yet.
Is there a help desk I can email or call?

Not that I'm aware of...if you remember the store you applied at you can try calling them directly..on the kmart homepage just click on store locator and type your zip code to search for your store and you'll get the number to call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

What do you mean you did not pick a date if you did things right you should have been sent to screen that would let you pick a date. It all follows the end of your app./assem. test. you can try calling but I got store numbers when I went for my interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

You should go to the store and pick it up, or call them. They can not keep your money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

patters63 in Covington, Kentucky said: You should go to the store and pick it up, or call them. They can not keep your money.

thanks..very helpful. I'll just wait until the next payday then so i can pick them all at once.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Rummah Kasai in Collegeville, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

You know times are getting bad when even Kmart is able to be selective. I had an interview with them 2 weeks ago. I finally called back and was told "they went with a different candidate."
I guess if you are over 25 and don't look like a substance abuser they aren't interested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Rummah Kasai in Collegeville, Pennsylvania said: You know times are getting bad when even Kmart is able to be selective. I had an interview with them 2 weeks ago. I finally called back and was told "they went with a different candidate."
I guess if you are over 25 and don't look like a substance abuser they aren't interested.

If they really wanted to hire you they would've done so on the spot during your interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rummah Kasai in Collegeville, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

I probably blew it when I balked at the starting salary: minimum wage with NO change of increase in the near future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

indi in Staten Island, New York

61 months ago

Hey Guys,
Iam really confused and need all of ur help..Iwas working in Kmart but after 7 months I went to vacation for 1.5 months then I came and talked with my HR manager and want them friday and sunday before she make schedule...and she put me on a schedule on sunday and here is sunday the begining of week I totally forgot that Iam working because I thought ıAM WORKing next friday and saturday...so I forgot my schedule...actually Iam in a stuck...Ive no idea what I'll do
Pls help me I can even look at her face maybe they fire me from this time who knows and ı dont dare to talk with HR

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

jessicolem5 in Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

I just applied to kmart using the oddyessy thing n it set me up an interview for tomorrow n it said go to hr office but the thing is I dont know where it wants me to go weather it our local kmart store or to sears idk can someone help me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jessicolem5 in Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

can someone please help me idk where to go i did the kmart app with the odessy system thing n it set me up with an interviw but all it said was go to hr office n the thing is idk if im supposed to go to sears at the mall of our local kmart can someone please help me please

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sisteradele518 in Schenectady, New York

59 months ago

If you applied to Kmart then you would go to Kmart. If you applied for Sears you would show up at Sears. Whichever place you did the application for is where you would show up for your interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sisteradele518 in Schenectady, New York

59 months ago

jessicolem5 in Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania said: can someone please help me idk where to go i did the kmart app with the odessy system thing n it set me up with an interviw but all it said was go to hr office n the thing is idk if im supposed to go to sears at the mall of our local kmart can someone please help me please

If you applied to Kmart then you would go to Kmart. If you applied for Sears you would show up at Sears. Whichever place you did the application for is where you would show up for your interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joyce in Enfield, New Hampshire

47 months ago

I applied at Kmart for a full time hourly position. I applied online and got set up on the computer for an interview, the next day. When I showed up, the HR person had no idea who I was and was not expecting me. I was asked to come back the next day. I did. The person I was supposed to see called in sick and no one was covering, so I wasted a lot of time and gas. It was a week and a half later before I got interviewed. At the interview they had me fill out a bunch of paperwork. The same application I did on the computer, a form giving them permission for a background check, etc. After that, I was told that they would not know anything until the background check came back. It took a week for them to get it back. Then they sent me for a drug screen. It took four days for them to get the results. after that they called and scheduled me for an orientation. I went in for 5 hours ( was initially told 2 hours)and spent the day filling out more paperwork and watching videos. We were told we'd get paid for it. They gave us an hour off for lunch, however, not knowing I'd be there that long I did not bring any money to get lunch and did not bring my own. At the end of the day, we were told to call the next day to get our schedules. My 1st weeks schedule was for only 9 hours total! 2nd week 10 hours total ! I asked what was up because I applied for full time. I was told I'd get more hours in my 3rd week. I believed them and went in as scheduled. When I got my 1st check, it was not for the amount an hour they 1st told me I'd get - it was for minimum wage. I asked HR about it, they said I would not get the additional money an hour until I worked full time hours.
I worked there for 4 months because like an idiot I believed their line of BS.
I never got many hours or any more than minimum wage. I had bills to pay, so I got a different job at Burger King. They gave me 40 hours a week and $10.00 an hour plus benefits.........GO BK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

needsajob in Pittsford, New York

39 months ago

Oh no...Just found this forum today. So I applied to Kmart and didn't get the set up interview at the end, neither did I answer on any of the extreme answers for questions every time.

Does this mean I didn't get it?

Could I apply at the store and try again?

Just when I went to the job application website to apply again it said that there were no longer any jobs open, neither did I get an email or phone call.

Should I try calling?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

minmurp in Richmond, Virginia

35 months ago

scout in grover beach, California said: Kmart has a strict background check and drug testing. Its easy to get a job there with the computer application but if you have committed theft or other crime and use drugs you will not get a job.

this is any where unless there morals are low and desperate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

job seeker se in somewhere

35 months ago

I applied online. Got a call from an HR? person and told to come in for interview. Went to interview. Seen a big "now hiring" sign out front. The store looked VERY under-staffed. They didn't really ask me much except "tell me about yourself" and "why do you want to work here" etc. Discussed hours and the bluelight card. I met with the interview person and the manager of the store. I told her I was interested in the stockroom/unloader position. Described what I did in my previous job. The manager seemed dissapointed that I had no experience in retail, but.....how much skill does it take be a "stockroom unloader"? Ironically, one told me they get super busy towards holidays. Anyways, they were both nice.

I was told that my references would be checked, but I really only had 1 or 2 jobs listed (I'm a young person). She said she would call me, I asked for permission to follow up, told me to do that cause they are busy, so now I'm waiting till tomorrow to call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Just an update to my situation. The HR person keeps telling me they will call me back but they never do. What's worse, they are always "off" for a few days. Whenever I call myself they're not there. How could you do this when you have now hiring signs on your windows, act like you are desperate for employees, tell me you get busy in the holidays and then play games. They still won't tell me if I'm getting hired or considered. You looked at my app. You met me. My background is clean. My body is clean. So what's the problem? I feel like they got my hopes up for nothing. They tell me to interview and after that I just get jerked around. I probably won't be shopping at kmart anymore, if they treat people like this. I get treated like this at almost every story I apply to, not only kmart, but mcdonald's, the supermarket, etc. etc. You say you are hiring, but you put people through nothing but BS. Hopefully some managers will read this and think about what I'm saying.

Now I feel like not existing again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Called again today, got the "we're busy" excuse again. You beg me for an interview and then it's "we're too busy" for 3 weeks and counting. All I want to know is if I got hired or not. If you are a young person like 17-23, don't bother with K-mart. They treat applicants like garbage. It's funny too, because if the economy was booming, these same managers would be on the floor begging people with a totally different attitude.

Hopefully our economy will crash and every person in the US will be jobless, so we can get closer to humanity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.