discrimination

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (31)

courier in Albany, New York

88 months ago

If you are over weight, like a 100lbs over they will give you a nice new Uplander! so you can be all comfie. If your average, you get a small tube called a chevy HHR. compact piece of junk 4 bagger thats like a bathtub to climb out of! So for all use average small guys and gals... get use to being discriminated against! it will be fun!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky said: I find that most amusing. Many on the forums are complaining that the LabCorp jobs don't exist because they weren't hired and here we have a person who has actually gotten the job and is complaining about the free ride?

Many courier jobs require you use your own vehicle

The Vehicle is part of my pay package! So its not a "free ride"

When someone in charge of the fleet that is obese, orders upgraded cars for the obese....its discrimination! How about a little motivation for the fat people to lose a little weight, instead of rewarding them for it...it could save their lives!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky

88 months ago

courier in Albany, New York said: The Vehicle is part of my pay package! So its not a "free ride"

I frankly find that hard to believe but IF the vehicle is part of your pay, then the vehicle is yours. Sell it and buy the bigger vehicle.

I just think you are being a bit picky, You have a job and they are even supplying a company vehicle (or whatever the deal is) and you are complaining about the perk. There is an old saying, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth."

In case you are too young to understand that, it means that if you are paying good money for a horse, you should check its health by looking at it's teeth (which is supposed to be a sign of good health). If someone GIVES you a horse, you need not be that concerned because the horse is alive and even if it dies tomorrow you can make free dog food out of it.

Likewise if your employer provides a vehicle don't complain about what kind a vehicle it is.

Now if the vehicles are owned by you and fatty, then you might have a legitimate case of the obese one being paid more and that is a valid discrimination case for the EEOC to handle.

I would just ask them for the other vehicle and carry a recorder in your pocket. If they have no reasonable reason for denying you the larger vehicle then you got 'em nailed to the cross.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky said: I frankly find that hard to believe but IF the vehicle is part of your pay, then the vehicle is yours. Sell it and buy the bigger vehicle.

I just think you are being a bit picky, You have a job and they are even supplying a company vehicle (or whatever the deal is) and you are complaining about the perk. There is an old saying, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth."

In case you are too young to understand that, it means that if you are paying good money for a horse, you should check its health by looking at it's teeth (which is supposed to be a sign of good health). If someone GIVES you a horse, you need not be that concerned because the horse is alive and even if it dies tomorrow you can make free dog food out of it.

Likewise if your employer provides a vehicle don't complain about what kind a vehicle it is.

Now if the vehicles are owned by you and fatty, then you might have a legitimate case of the obese one being paid more and that is a valid discrimination case for the EEOC to handle.

I would just ask them for the other vehicle and carry a recorder in your pocket. If they have no reasonable reason for denying you the larger vehicle then you got 'em nailed to the cross.

Charlie,
Every one pays about 70 dollars a month for the car....so its not really free.
You also file this with the IRS when you do you income tax return....So its part of my PAY!

At the end of 2004 I was given a 2005 Pontiac Aztec as was everyone else! That would be a $27,000 SUV with AWD, V6, power everything....a very ugly but nice riding vehicle that you could probably survive a bad accident in. Now I am getting a $18,000 car that doesnt have AWD or a V6 and its very low to the ground. I dont think it is all that safe. SO, I would say I just got a $9,000 dollar cut in pay. The risk of injury or death from spending 8 hours a day on the road just doubled. "PICKY"....I think not!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

courier in Albany, New York said: Every one pays about 70 dollars a month for the car........So its part of my PAY!

"Pay" is money they give you for work done. Money you give them is a business expense. A vehicle is a tool that the company provides for you to use to do the job. You probably pay the $70 a month to the company for personal use of their property. It's the $70 per month you report to the IRS, not the total cost of the vehicle because you didn't invest any money in the capital expenditure for the vehicle no matter what it cost.

You cannot look at it as being a part of your pay. Doing that is like someone saying I was moved from a office in a huge, downtown, high-rise building to a modest single story complex of buildings on the outskirts of town, therefore I lost millions of dollars in pay because of the difference in the price of the real estate.

Are you blond or something? You have a screwy sense of relationships. If the price of a vehicle goes from $27K to $18K, you are correct that the difference is $9K. That does not, however, mean the safety factor followed the price. Even if it did, the vehicle you now use is only a third more dangerous, not twice (33 percent not 50 percent).

I remain with the same opinion.. you are complaining over insignificant details of a job. If you are worried about highway safety that much, then you shouldn't even be in the job of "courier" in the first place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Ok, so your an idiot...lol
you go ahead and get in and out of a SUV 50 to 60 time a day...its not that bad!
Now climb in and out of a compact car 50 to 60 times a day and tell me how you feel!
Its a huge difference.
Clearly if you have a big office with a nice window and one day you show up to work and are told your new office is a cubical in the basement with no window...you wont be happy.
then you find out they gave a new guy your old office because he can see better in natural light. Tell me Charlie, Are you going to be happy about it?

Your ether Labcorp management or obese! I think both.

Giving someone twice the car because they are obese is discriminating to anyone that is not!
not to mention if your obese you dont have to do as much work...it takes up a lot of time waiting for elevators all day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

courier in Albany, New York said: Ok, so your an idiot...lol

You may think I am an idiot if you wish but I have had company cars in the past to go from the office to the airport and then we were asked to use the company cars to travel by highway (no more flights and rental cars at the destination) then the company cars went away and we were paid mileage to use our own vehicles. It's not like I have no experience in the situation. This was about 25 years ago so to be provided with any sort of company vehicle today is a luxury indeed and you should not be complaining.

As for changing offices, I once had to change to a completely different job because a fellow in another office needed my job because he was going blind and he needed to sit in my office and not have to travel at all. Been there and done that.

Was I happy? No. Of course not, but I never went around accusing the company of discrimination against sighted people. Things happen like that and it is just business decisions, not discrimination. Discrimination would be where they only hired fat people to work or only hired skinny people because the fatties wouldn't fit in the small cars.

And no, I am not fat nor a manager at Labcorp. My advice, change jobs if you don't like the new vehicles. Or gain weight and get a bigger one! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky said: You may think I am an idiot if you wish but I have had company cars in the past to go from the office to the airport and then we were asked to use the company cars to travel by highway (no more flights and rental cars at the destination) then the company cars went away and we were paid mileage to use our own vehicles. It's not like I have no experience in the situation. This was about 25 years ago so to be provided with any sort of company vehicle today is a luxury indeed and you should not be complaining.

As for changing offices, I once had to change to a completely different job because a fellow in another office needed my job because he was going blind and he needed to sit in my office and not have to travel at all. Been there and done that.

Was I happy? No. Of course not, but I never went around accusing the company of discrimination against sighted people. Things happen like that and it is just business decisions, not discrimination. Discrimination would be where they only hired fat people to work or only hired skinny people because the fatties wouldn't fit in the small cars.

And no, I am not fat nor a manager at Labcorp. My advice, change jobs if you don't like the new vehicles. Or gain weight and get a bigger one! :)

I dont really think your an idiot. I think you must be some kind of company negotiator, working on Union contracts. The way you can spin something is amazing!

The fact is...its discrimination, plane and simple.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MARIAH89 in Columbus, Ohio

88 months ago

AMEN!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

courier in Albany, New York said: I dont really think your an idiot. I think you must be some kind of company negotiator, working on Union contracts. The way you can spin something is amazing!

The fact is...its discrimination, plane and simple.

What I meant is that the situation you described is not discrimination from a legal standpoint. In other words, the EEOC is not going to make a federal case out of the fact that a person who weighs more than someone else seems to have gotten a better deal at work.

I'm serious. Read the EEO statement. It talks about it being illegal to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender and age. It does not cover weight, body shape, or size.

The company could decide to give all blonds a bigger car and it wouldn't actually be illegal to do so.

That is the idea of discrimination from a legal stand point. Now as to the strict definition of the word, yes. Absolutely. The company is exercising discrimination because the company is having a different response to a different stimuli rather than treat all employees the same whether they are large or small. It isn't employment discrimination any more than the supervisor exercising discrimination of response to stimuli by raising his/her head to look into the eyes of an employee who was taller than another employee.

My point is that you can go looking for and find all sorts of things that look like illegal discrimination, but they aren't things that are protected by law. Imagine if they made that covered by law and said that an employer could not treat fat people any better or worse than skinny people. First they would have to define what was meant by "fat" and that would take forever. :)

BTW.. it's "plain" and simple and I don't think you are an idiot either. It is just that I have discussed this sort of stuff with the EEOC people and attorneys and I know how they think.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Can you afford to work in this industry? in Frisco, Texas

88 months ago

courier in Albany, New York said: Charlie,
You also file this with the IRS when you do you income tax return....So its part of my PAY!

At the end of 2004 I was given a 2005 Pontiac Aztec as was everyone else! That would be a $27,000 SUV with AWD, V6, power everything....a very ugly but nice riding vehicle that you could probably survive a bad accident in. Now I am getting a $18,000 car that doesnt have AWD or a V6 and its very low to the ground. I dont think it is all that safe. SO, I would say I just got a $9,000 dollar cut in pay. The risk of injury or death from spending 8 hours a day on the road just doubled. "PICKY"....I think not!

I've worked for companies that offered cars. I was fortunate enough to get the choice as I made it under the wire with a car expense that didn't cover the expense.....but I got to drive my own MUCH SAFER car. Thank goodness as I was run over by a semi-truck while yeilding to an ambulance!

The fact is your statements are highly believable per many Major companies including 3 Fortune 500's I know of. Most people that are not Upper Managers in most companies only get tiny completely stripped down cars with absolutely no consideration for the safety record of that car. Pitiful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Thanks for correcting my typo. I sometimes get in a hurry...sry

Ok, so Bob and Joe have the same job. Bob is of average size and weight. Joe is average height and 150 lbs. over weight. Bob can do his job in a timely fashion. Joe can't get it done on time due to his size. What do you do?

This company gives Bob the work Joe cant do...then they downgrade Bob's car, give Joe a bigger car so he can be comfortable as he does less work.

If its not discriminating against Bob, what is it? They don't pay him any more for the extra work.

If it was me...I would fire Joe and hire someone that could do the job.
But that would probably be discrimination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

courier in Albany, New York said: Thanks for correcting my typo. I sometimes get in a hurry...sry

Ok, so Bob and Joe have the same job. Bob is of average size and weight. Joe is average height and 150 lbs. over weight. Bob can do his job in a timely fashion. Joe can't get it done on time due to his size. What do you do?

This company gives Bob the work Joe cant do...then they downgrade Bob's car, give Joe a bigger car so he can be comfortable as he does less work.

If its not discriminating against Bob, what is it? They don't pay him any more for the extra work.

Charlie....scratch the above!

You are right! But that doesn't make it right!

Thanks for all the info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

courier in Albany, New York said:

I would fire Joe, but I might first be tempted to give Joe the bigger car to see (and prove) that it wasn't the overweight that was slowing Joe down. How does size slow someone down anyway when they are driving a car?

Here is what I think is happening... Bob is an excellent employee and Joe is complaining that he can't do the job and needs accommodation because of his size. He is using his size to threaten the company on a point of discrimination. The company knows that Joe's weight isn't the problem but they don't want to take the chance of firing Joe and have him come back with a lawsuit that says he was fired for his weight only.

They know Bob is the better employee and more adaptable so they make a big show of giving Bob a smaller vehicle and Joe a much bigger one and even give Bob some of Joe's work.

When it comes time to fire Joe, they can say that they have bent over backward to accommodate Joe by lessening his work load, giving him a bigger vehicle, and it is clear that other employees with much less comfort are able to do the job effectively. Unfortunately they can't tell poor Bob about this lest it get back to Joe, but they know Bob is an intelligent person who can figure this out and will hang in there.

In my opinion Bob is looking good there and it is a matter of a wait before Joe trips himself up permanently. Watch for Joe to start with even more demands and that's when the axe will fall. I'd bet money on it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MARIAH89 in Columbus, Ohio

88 months ago

Who cares, get a job in the Circus.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

I Am LabCorp in Burlington, North Carolina

88 months ago

courier in Albany, New York said: If you are over weight, like a 100lbs over they will give you a nice new Uplander! so you can be all comfie. If your average, you get a small tube called a chevy HHR. compact piece of junk 4 bagger thats like a bathtub to climb out of! So for all use average small guys and gals... get use to being discriminated against! it will be fun!

IN MY OFFICE IT DOESN'T MATTER YOUR BODY SIZE OR JOB REQUIREMENTS -- YOUR STUFFED INTO AN HHR.

87 months ago

I Am LabCorp in Burlington, North Carolina said: IN MY OFFICE IT DOESN'T MATTER YOUR BODY SIZE OR JOB REQUIREMENTS -- YOUR STUFFED INTO AN HHR.

Thank you!

Service Rep.

87 months ago

courier in Albany, New York said: The Vehicle is part of my pay package! So its not a "free ride"

When someone in charge of the fleet that is obese, orders upgraded cars for the obese....its discrimination! How about a little motivation for the fat people to lose a little weight, instead of rewarding them for it...it could save their lives!

I just love it when people without a clue start ranting.

First of all, it is only discrimination when the law and/or the courts say so; and only certain groups qualify as defined by law. If your one of the one-third of adults in America that is not over wieght, I'm sorry, but you're not and can not currently be disacriminated against for your wieght class.

Second, many heavy wieghts got that way due to injuries, medical conditions, genetic pre-disposition, et al and do not choose to be in the condition they are -- and before you start the "well they could just execise" crap -- if you've never been there, you don't have a clue so just keep it to yourself. There is not enough hours in a day to do the amount of serious exercise require and work, have a family, etc. Be glad that the people you know of are working vs. on disability.

Third, if the heavywiehgts can otherwise do the job, but were refused the vans that allow them to do their jobs better with their "limitations" -- that refusal would be discrimination.

Don't be a hater.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

jackie in Saint Louis, Missouri

87 months ago

i was just fired so i would be happy to take anybody's position where i would be able to put miles on their car...anyone want to trade me positions? huh? i have kids to feed, i promise i won't complain about being employed or about having to drive a company car.

87 months ago

jackie in Saint Louis, Missouri said: i was just fired so i would be happy to take anybody's position where i would be able to put miles on their car...anyone want to trade me positions? huh? i have kids to feed, i promise i won't complain about being employed or about having to drive a company car.

You mean you are a realist and appreciate income and don't complain about petty things like how big your company car is?

You are one who will not be unemployed long. :)

87 months ago

Its not a matter of being a hater!

Its a matter of being fair to all employees. At Labcorp, that's not the case!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Service Rep. said: ...it is only discrimination when the law and/or the courts say so; and only certain groups qualify as defined by law.

That is absolutely true.

Discrimination on points other than those that involve protected groups are ignored by the EEOC. You have heard the saying, "Don't make a federal case out of it." At the EEOC, they take that literally and they will not initiate a Federal case on grounds of petty complaints.

I Am LabCorp in Burlington, North Carolina

87 months ago

courier in Albany, New York said: Its not a matter of being a hater!

Its a matter of being fair to all employees. At Labcorp, that's not the case!

As far as the second statement, absolutely true in many ways.

jackie in Saint Louis, Missouri

87 months ago

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky said: You mean you are a realist and appreciate income and don't complain about petty things like how big your company car is?

You are one who will not be unemployed long. :)

thank you. and yes, i have become employed exactly one week after i was fired. i am still looking as this is not the job of choice for me and would like a more stable position in a company such as labcorp or quest. any suggestions? i have applied at both places numerous times with no response from either. i have 6 years experience as a phlebotomist. what am i doing wrong?btw.. my record is clean so it's not that.

New Career - Career Change in Frisco, Texas

86 months ago

courier in Albany, New York said: Ok, so your an idiot...lol
you go ahead and get in and out of a SUV 50 to 60 time a day...its not that bad!
Now climb in and out of a compact car 50 to 60 times a day and tell me how you feel!
Its a huge difference.
Clearly if you have a big office with a nice window and one day you show up to work and are told your new office is a cubical in the basement with no window...you wont be happy.
then you find out they gave a new guy your old office because he can see better in natural light. Tell me Charlie, Are you going to be happy about it?

Your ether Labcorp management or obese! I think both.

Giving someone twice the car because they are obese is discriminating to anyone that is not!
not to mention if your obese you dont have to do as much work...it takes up a lot of time waiting for elevators all day!

I ask employers... which is usually HR up front if I'll be driving my own car with mileage expense or if I'll be driving a company car. If they tell me it's a company car I immediately ask what type of car and details. I ask all of this usually by phone prior to an in person interview. Why waste my time since I'll never work at a company that forces me to drive a stripped down vehicle... usually not remotely rated as safe. ASK UP FRONT. GET ANOTHER JOB. REPORT IT IN THE MEAN TIME TO THE EEOC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

New Career - Career Change in Frisco, Texas

86 months ago

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky said: That is absolutely true.

Discrimination on points other than those that involve protected groups are ignored by the EEOC. You have heard the saying, "Don't make a federal case out of it." At the EEOC, they take that literally and they will not initiate a Federal case on grounds of petty complaints.

2 different Law offices previously told me that I needed other fellow employees.. current or past... to also complain. Get their complaint in writing lest they change their mind.

harvey johnson in trent, Greece

85 months ago

"Pay" is money they give you for work done. Money you give them is a business expense. A vehicle is a tool that the company provides for you to use to do the job. You probably pay the $70 a month to the company for personal use of their property. It's the $70 per month you report to the IRS, not the total cost of the vehicle because you didn't invest any emain with money in the capital expenditure for the vehicle no matter what it cost.You cannot look at it as being a part of your pay. Doing that is like someone saying I was moved from a office in a huge, downtown, high-rise building to a modest single story complex of buildings on the outskirts of town, therefore I lost millions of dollars in pay because of the difference in the price of the real estate."

Actually, per IRS rules personal use of a company car is considered income; it is known as imputed income and you have to pay income taxes on it. If your personal use is below the $75/month taken out of your pay, then no income tax is owed. IRS has created vehicle mileage worksheets for this purpose so that each courier must document mileage for business use and mileage for personal use. Income is pay in exchange for services rendered. Pay can be meals,country club membership,company jet, or just plain old cash.If a courier gives up personal use, they are actually giving up company provided payment for services rendered. The office building analogy doesn't work because office space is used for company business not personal business. Now if the company let you use company office space for personal business or as a living space then you would have to claim it as income.

Boots in Kansas City, Missouri

78 months ago

I've been a courier for about a year and a half. I like my job. Of course some days are better than others, but I personally think that it is a good job. The big advantage to me is personal use of the vechicle. Labcorp pays for gas and all maintence. The only responsibility that we have is keeping the vechicle clean. With gas prices out of control, personal use is fantastic. As a courier, you have an important job. You are helping the public with their health and we all know that your health is everything. Currently Quest is number 1 and Labcorp is number 2 in the nation, but I believe that soon Labcorp will be number 1. We have good management and we just took a huge client away from Quest(united health care). This is the only job that I have ever had where the first year that you start out you get 3 weeks paid vacation. I would definitely reccomend working for Labcorp.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Betsy Rogers in Durham, North Carolina

41 months ago

Charlie,

You said, "...Now I am getting a $18,000 car that doesn't have AWD or a V6 and it's very low to the ground. I don't think it is all that safe..."

I think the more important (& practical) issue is that you feel your company vehicle is not safe. This is the issue you should pursue, rather than a reverse-discrimination issue. This is a more direct approach to the problem, and doesn't get into the murky and highly-charged discussions about discrimination.

You'd have a better chance of success if you make this a direct issue between you, your employer, and the specific car you're driving (rather than bringing another employee and their car into the discussion). Also, any discussion about the Value of the car, or any other non-safety issues, will probably get you nowhere.

If AWD is necessary for the type of roads you drive on, then not having it is a safety issue. If you live in an area that gets snow and/or ice, then a lack of AWD is a legitimate concern. If necessary, you should express these concerns in an official letter with a copy sent to the Legal Department (not just HR). If you file a documented complaint about the safety of your vehicle, the legal department may not want to take the legal risk of keeping you in that car.

I doubt the lack of a V6 could be a safety issue, unless you live somewhere with those crazy freeways where having good acceleration IS a safety feature. However, I have lived in one of those cities before, and I never had an issue w/ my 4-cylinder engine.

Finally, it'd be helpful to your case if the car is uncomfortable and causes orthopedic problems (i.e. long-term pain from a poorly designed seat). You mentioned the car is low to the ground, so I'm Sure the seat is uncomfortable (wink, wink!). There are many OSHA regulations about ergonomic requirements, and "reasonable accomodations" (this is the legal term that is used) for a modified work-space (which is your car, in this case).

jr23 in Sebring, Florida

40 months ago

courier in Albany, New York said: Charlie,

i guarantee they did not pay any mere near 27k for that van it was a sales dog
and fleet buying further lowers the price.
the HHR is a safe vehicle it on a proven platform,
most of the lab and courier positions used focus,escorts and cavaliers\
and a van is a little easier to use but the price of cars has risen as has gas
also they seem to replace the cars often my last lab ran there cars 200k and 10 yrs and some were used to begin with. the $70 monthly is for your private use of the car i know 1 guy who took it on a cross country vacation not many co let you take a route car home or other private uses

flashrmw in Monroe, North Carolina

29 months ago

Here in NC all the Couriers drive the same type of Van. The uplander. Personally I liked the HHR but it was too small for supplies my husband said.

People are so greedy. We do pay 50 a pay for the car, it went up from 35. Big deal we get to take it anywhere in the states and get free gas, come on people that is part of a benefit package.

Quit your whining & be glad we have jobs. I would love to move back home to Cleve, Ohio but my husband probably will noy even look to see if Labcorp is up there.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.