What happens to employees after LabCorp buys small lab?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Hope out west in Boise, Idaho

77 months ago

Does anyone have any experience with life after LabCorp takeover? Employees here at a regional local lab are pretty worried. There's been a lot of reassurance about everybody keeping their jobs, pay raises, etc. Any personal stories, either positive or negative, would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Fort Myers, Florida

77 months ago

The lab here (DSI) was bought by LabCorp last August 2007. Eventually there were folks in a few departments who were laid off (some were immediate/same day while others were given a number of weeks' notice). As a result, employees became greatly concerned not knowing when their possible "Day of Demise" would come. A few were disgruntled and eventually left simply because of the 'practices' that were being upheld. I have no idea what the environment there is like since I decided to take the high road myself. I wish all of you at your facility the best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Finding My Niche in Somewhere in Michigan

77 months ago

My friend in Seattle went through a similar situation as you a few years ago....she says to RUN!!!! They laid off a lot of people, tried to lower wages for the exisiting employees. Fortunately, they were a union shop prior to the sale, and LabCorp couldn't do as much damage. If you decide to stay, don't be surprised with a very tiny raise at the end of the year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MRS J in Indianapolis, Indiana

77 months ago

OUR COMPANY P.A LABS JUST GOY BOUGHT OUT BY LABCORP I HATE IT.WE DID NOT GET PAY RAISES THAT WE WERE PROMISED,OUR OVERTIME WAS CUT TREMENDOUSLY,WHICH MEANS A PAY CUT,AND NOW OUR HOURS ARE BEING CUT.WE ARE NOW WORKING 37 HRS A WEEK INSTEAD OF 40.I GUESS SOMEBODY IS GETTIN MONEY,JUST NOT THE HARD WORKERS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

monkeybarr in Renton, Washington

76 months ago

Hope out west in Boise, Idaho said: Does anyone have any experience with life after LabCorp takeover? Employees here at a regional local lab are pretty worried. There's been a lot of reassurance about everybody keeping their jobs, pay raises, etc. Any personal stories, either positive or negative, would be appreciated.

Hope,
I worked for Labcorp in Kent/Seattle for nearly 20 years and all I have read on this exchange is true. I went through multiple mergers and buy outs and I cannot say anything all that positive about them. Just 3 months ago I left as the poor management finally got to me. It is all true about watching your back with management with absolutely no human resources help for the employees.

I held the position cytology/pathology supervisor before the purchase and was slowly downsized to lead and given no reason for that decision. I did not get a raise for 3 years nor did I receive an annual or quarterly review in that time. That oversight is grossly against company policy but it seems acceptable to look the other way when it suits some.

If you are a cytotech, good luck. There is a not very nice (or bright) power seeker over that department and her word is not very trustworthy. Gut feeling, you might remain employed there in Boise for a while but I wouldn't count on that being a long term situation. Labcorp tends to centralize as much as possible so they might offer you a job in Seattle and if you feel that is a bit of a commute from Boise, you may or may not get a severance. That happened to 6 techs in smaller labs here in Washington the last couple of years with most not getting much as a thank you for their years of service. If they can find techs to work in Seattle, they will close any outside sites. Lucky for you they can't find any!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

themarine in Laredo, Texas

75 months ago

I worked for a company in S. Texas that was bought out by Labcorp. We were also promised raises but didn't get them until we are with Labcorp for a year. We had 5 girls out of our Lab that either worked in the Lab or doctor offices and none of us lost our jobs. So far I haven't had much experience with management. Since my doctor's office does not have any complaints they don't tend to come by here to often which is fine by me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

grasshopper417 in los angeles, California

73 months ago

monkeybarr in Renton, Washington said: Hope,
I worked for Labcorp in Kent/Seattle for nearly 20 years and all I have read on this exchange is true. I went through multiple mergers and buy outs and I cannot say anything all that positive about them. Just 3 months ago I left as the poor management finally got to me. It is all true about watching your back with management with absolutely no human resources help for the employees.

I held the position cytology/pathology supervisor before the purchase and was slowly downsized to lead and given no reason for that decision. I did not get a raise for 3 years nor did I receive an annual or quarterly review in that time. That oversight is grossly against company policy but it seems acceptable to look the other way when it suits some.

If you are a cytotech, good luck. There is a not very nice (or bright) power seeker over that department and her word is not very trustworthy. Gut feeling, you might remain employed there in Boise for a while but I wouldn't count on that being a long term situation. Labcorp tends to centralize as much as possible so they might offer you a job in Seattle and if you feel that is a bit of a commute from Boise, you may or may not get a severance. That happened to 6 techs in smaller labs here in Washington the last couple of years with most not getting much as a thank you for their years of service. If they can find techs to work in Seattle, they will close any outside sites. Lucky for you they can't find any!

I work as a cytologist in a lab in southern california that was just sold to LabCorp. It is in the intial stages and I am wondering whether to stick it out to see what they offer (salary, benefits, length of service, etc)or start looking elsewhere. They say they want to keep the lab here, but you know how that goes...Were you able to negotiate the term of your job when they took over, or should I just shut up and see what they offer? Any information would be helpful!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

anisocytosis

70 months ago

The organization that currently owns our laboratory is in negotiations now with Labcorp to sell us to them. After reading these posts, I'm guessing we're in for a terrible time. What do they typically do when they first take over? Does senior management have to worry about their jobs? What about regular staff employees, do they have to worry about getting terminated? Is it really as bad as what I am reading about here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

grasshopper417 in los angeles, California

70 months ago

two months later and things are slowly changing...yes some staff was let go...but they seem to want to keep the trained lab personnel. To tell the truth you can hardly tell that LabCorp is there. They are quiet and don't tell us much, which I think is part of their strategy. You only know what they want you to know, and I guess ignorance is bliss. they dont seem too bad so far...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anisocytosis

70 months ago

grasshopper417 in los angeles, California said: two months later and things are slowly changing...yes some staff was let go...but they seem to want to keep the trained lab personnel. To tell the truth you can hardly tell that LabCorp is there. They are quiet and don't tell us much, which I think is part of their strategy. You only know what they want you to know, and I guess ignorance is bliss. they dont seem too bad so far...

Were any senior staff let go? Was the CEO allowed to remain on? Did any senior staff get shifted to new responsibilities?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.