Liberty Mutual Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Liberty Mutual?

What do you like best about working at Liberty Mutual? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

liberated

87 months ago

Liberty Mutual is going through a phase of firing experienced highly paid employees in many departments and is giving others the choice of taking major pay cuts or leaving. The bonus program was ok when first begun a few years ago but has been emasculated; basically, any excuse to trash you and not give you a raise or a bonus is looked for. I was told that I had a bad reputation with another department and when I questioned it, was told it was based on ONE response to a survey, and that info was used to deny me a raise.

The best perk or special treat is all of the goodbye parties the employees have to throw for themselves and each other.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

jobseeker

86 months ago

liberated said: Liberty Mutual is going through a phase of firing experienced highly paid employees in many departments and is giving others the choice of taking major pay cuts or leaving. The bonus program was ok when first begun a few years ago but has been emasculated; basically, any excuse to trash you and not give you a raise or a bonus is looked for. I was told that I had a bad reputation with another department and when I questioned it, was told it was based on ONE response to a survey, and that info was used to deny me a raise.
The best perk or special treat is all of the goodbye parties the employees have to throw for themselves and each other.

Hi Liberated -
Thanks for sharing. I am currently applying for a position in Indy and was concerned with your comment. Is the situation you have described in their main office (Boston) or is it happening everywhere else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

liberated

86 months ago

jobseeker said:
Hi Liberated -
Thanks for sharing. I am currently applying for a position in Indy and was concerned with your comment. Is the situation you have described in their main office (Boston) or is it happening everywhere else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

liberated

86 months ago

I don't know about HO in Boston but it is happening in other regious. I'm not sure what type of job you are going for but if you are a newbie at the bottom end of the scale, you should be ok. They are lopping off from the top down in many instances. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gymac in Bel Air, Maryland

83 months ago

Starting sal is about 45k for claims

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nick in Falls Church, Virginia

80 months ago

Does anyone know starting salaries for sales reps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Buter in Dover, New Hampshire

74 months ago

salaries are different depending on the area. liberated is right with every. When you first get there they act as if it's a great place and they care about the people. It's all BS. The way they treat people is horrible. Raises and bonuses are a joke. Favortism is bad too. Managers and Supervisors don't even try to hide it.
People in my office had heart attacks at work due to stress and the company would call wondering when they were coming back. LM told some people if they didn't come back by a certain time, they wouldn't have jobs. Pregnant women are encouraged to NOT use all of there maternity leave. I know of some people that were told they mioght not have a job when they came back if they took the whole time. People finally complained about the harassment and then were immediatly fired for "low production".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Archos in New Jersey

73 months ago

liberated said: Liberty Mutual is going through a phase of firing experienced highly paid employees in many departments and is giving others the choice of taking major pay cuts or leaving. The bonus program was ok when first begun a few years ago but has been emasculated; basically, any excuse to trash you and not give you a raise or a bonus is looked for. I was told that I had a bad reputation with another department and when I questioned it, was told it was based on ONE response to a survey, and that info was used to deny me a raise.

OMG! I could have written that. I worked for them for decades and was lopped off as part of the salary reduction, only the older more highly compensated people were affected, either let go or asked to take a reduction. We were all familiar with the review program and "one bad response in a survey." If they liked a person they ignored the supposed bad things, if they didn't like you or just wanted to deny you a raise they put the bad response in your file. It was all according to whether you drank the company cool aid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Camel ryder in Charlotte, North Carolina

63 months ago

nick in Falls Church, Virginia said: Does anyone know starting salaries for sales reps

base sale for 4 weeks (they say it amounts to be 33K a year, hence it drops after 4 weeks, to smaller base, plus commission (only 23K ayear base) recruiter mentioned it today

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Schazzam in Harvard, Illinois

62 months ago

SALARY BELOW INDUSTRY STANDARD! RAISES DO NOT EXIST! BONUSES ARE A JOKE! (They don't even give cost of living raises) If I can say one thing if you are like me and I think the rest of the world you only work to live the life you want outside of work. You will not be able to do that at Liberty Mutual because the salary you get when you start is the salary you will have when you leave.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tessa K in Phoenix, Arizona

49 months ago

I know it has been some time but I can't say as I agree with the majority of posters on this thread. Yes LM did have a shake up a few years ago. They were top heavy, they have many high level positions that were being handled by 2 people when 1 could do the job, they revamped their management and moved, early retired or offered servance to a number of people, including a number of my own friends.

I am worked there for 5 years now, I know, pretty much a newbie to you east coast guys who have been with the company for decades and I understand that. Starting salary was $29k in 2005, now in 2010 I am at $45k and I am not in a supervisor or management position. I work in the Phoenix Customer Service Center.

Sales, especially in the local offices do have high expectations. Concidering what they do that is to be expected. There are many laws out there regulating the insurance industry and LM wants to hire those who live up to their moto..."Responsibilty, what's your policy?".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.