What's the company culture at Liberty National Life Insurance?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 374)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Liberty National Life Insurance?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Liberty National Life Insurance?

Reply - Report abuse

reggie in Jacksonville, Florida

109 months ago

This company keeps harassing me with unsolicited spam emails, almost every day, sometimes several in a day.

Would someone who knows please publish one of more 800 numbers for them? I want to plug them into my computer and start returning the courtesy of their repeated unsolicited communications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Saint Louis, Missouri

108 months ago

It is diffrent in all offices, but no one cares what you wear all they want is production, and no Friday evening get togethers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Loader2001 in Summerville, South Carolina

104 months ago

If you walk in and converse coherently either have a license or the money to take the course and get the license, you will be hired.
I worked with this company for 2 months. The reason I told the
When I told agents of other companies that I worked for LNL, they shook their heads (with good reason). Expectations: Use out of pocket for phone and car. From what I am told, the company is going e-forms and will use a signature pad (currently, the company is expecting you to foot the cost for the pad along with the laptop that will go with it).
If you have never seen a Liberty National Life advertisement there is a reason. They don't advertise unless an agent will put up 1/2 the cost for the advertisement.
Hours: 8-9 am till when ever. New agents are to be there Monday and Wed night making "cold" calls from either LNL's listings or from sales genie. After a set number of appointments are made or until 9pm, branch manager will give you internet leads paid by the company. Some leads that was given to me were already contacted by other (or former) employees that did not recieve positive results.
Training: Limited and hap-hazard. Branch started new agents with limited number of type of polices to sale. During weekly training period newer type of policies will be presented or others already being sold will be introduced.
Employee retention: In less than a year, the branch I worked at did not have any agents remaining. Former agents that stayed in the insurnace business went to other companies and are more successful than they could ever been with LNL.
If you don't mind working 12 to 14 hours a day 6 possibly 7 days a week this is a great company to work for, however, you will make the same amount of money working the same hours for a upperscale warehouse without having to drive all over several counties.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (130) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Honiara in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida

103 months ago

I worked in the main office in Birmingham. Although I was in management, I was female; therefore I was not included at tables with men at lunch. Most of the women were in secretarial or clerk positions and I had no one to eat with. It was a very lonely lunchtime, every day. The company is definitely chauvinistic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Honiara in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida

103 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Liberty National Life Insurance?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Liberty National Life Insurance?

See comment by "Honiara" in Santa Rosa Beach, FL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

103 months ago

Professional look shirt/tie, no jeans or t-shirts nor casual business.
A person that came in that company the same time I did just recently contacted me, he was released from the company due to lack of production. Out of 6 people that started last January, he was the last one that lasted that long.
If you plan on working for any agency, the first question you ask your manager is "how long has your normal agent been here?" If it has been less than a year find another agency. Another thing to look at, is there a individual desk for each agent working or is there only tables which the agents work from. If the agent isn't afforded an individual desk/office space to work, then you are more than likely dealing with a "grind mill".
Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

brendamitchell in Cairo, Georgia

101 months ago

I've been with Liberty National now since the end of October. It only took a couple weeks to get my temporary license. The branch I work out of is Tallahassee East and my unit managers office is in Camilla, GA.
I've not been very successful with LN... the only policies I've actually sold were to myself because the BM said he needed to see me in production. My unit manager won't give out leads. I went to the BM about it and he made her give me Sales Genie leads. My unit manager really hasn't taught me anything. We get into the office on Monday and Wednesday and we just sit around and have a gab fest or she will have us call people for job interviews. They get these people from Monster.com and other online sources.
I am actually displeased with my unit manager and my Branch manager and want to get transfered to another branch but don't know how to go about doing so.
If don't start making some sales other than to myself I'm going to go broke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

Welcome to Torchmark. If you really want to do some sales with these "people" one way is getting a good pair of shoes and put up door hangers with your card on them. Hit the trailer parks. 1 out of 25 cards you put up will get a hit. If your looking for the best money, push the cancer policy. Instead of putting a rider on the kids, sale the Whole Life (it's cheaper to the customer and you'll get a higher return).
Worse comes to worse and you still want to stay in the insurance business, talk with AIT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

latoyadavenport in PICKENS, United States minor outlying islands

98 months ago

I would like to tell me more about Liberty National Life Insurance jobs. What do you mostly do during the day during this job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

98 months ago

Walk door to door hawking policies, try to get "interviews" with potenials, offer "free" gifts for exchange of a "survey" which is supposed to lead into a sale proposition.
Talked to one of my "classmates" who lasted almost a year with the company before being canned for lack of production. Something wrong with a company that has only 2% retention rate of one year. If your not interested in busting your backsides for what is really little profit after all the expense of gasoline and time I would not suggest this company or the insurance industry what so ever.
Beware of those managers that say you can make $1000.00's! There are those who do make that money, however that is only 10% of the agents (my opinion)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Scandolous

97 months ago

Any job is what you make of it. You have to give it your best shot!!!! Yes, I currently work for Liberty National!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

cb

97 months ago

Any job is what you make of it. You have to give it your best shot!!!! Yes, I currently work for Liberty National!!
Scandolous
---------------------

Friend, simply cause you are a moron and a flunky of LN don't mean that you know what you are talking about. If you look at all the above comments. You can tell that there something wrong with Liberty National training, management and their approach.

There is no company in the US that does not give new hires proper training for they can be proficient, so that they can prosper for themselves and the company. Success! come by participation from both parties. All that I got was a training manual thrown at me to figure out and there was no participation from management.

So take off your rose colored glass and look at it again, then go outside and get some fresh air. You need it.

I will fight or argue with anyone that thinks that Liberty National is an ethnical, integrity company. Cause I have personal knowledge of them, also.

Have a good day

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Marianne Salom in Gainesville, Florida

96 months ago

I am currently an employee with Liberty National and I just want to put it out there that each branch functions differently. Me being on the management team with Liberty, I know that this job is very difficult. I also know that many people think they are entitled to more then they are willing to work for. We have established a system that is fool proof. If you really did what you were told and you really did it how you were told to do it than you would not be on this site saying all these bad things about Liberty. LNL is a great company and I will support it because I know what Liberty is saying is true.

As far as the comments about bad management, that is within the branch because that is not true everywhere. Good management starts with the branch manager. If the branch manager does not have an effective training system in place then the office as a whole will not function properly.

Please take what people say with a grain of salt and realize this is not how the company works as a whole.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

cb

96 months ago

As far as the comments about bad management, that is within the branch because that is not true everywhere. Good management starts with the branch manager. If the branch manager does not have an effective training system in place then the office as a whole will not function properly.

Please take what people say with a grain of salt and realize this is not how the company works as a whole

===================================
As far as bad management/manager goes. That is how you tell if the company is worth anything by who you associate with. So if you are under a bad manager it's only logical that you are going to think that the company as a whole is the same way. There is no if's and's or but's about it.

So if LNL is concerned about their image they need to correct the policies and make sure that the managers carry out a uniform plan or have someone come in an train the new agent.

I have talked to VP at LNL and we could not come to no understanding about what I was told and promised at the interview. LNL can promise all kinds of things but if they are not backed up with proper solid training, it proves that it's a liar.
And the new agent who wasted months studying the material to go after license. And wasted money going after the license is the loser cause of lies.

LNL does a whole lot of puff and stuff. And there is no salt that taste good when it comes from liars.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

Questions for Ms. Salom:

How many agents (contracted and full employees, not otherwise considered "unit managers") do you have?
How many of those have lasted over 1 year? 2 years?
How many agents did not last in year 2007?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

adolphhimler in Riverview, Florida

92 months ago

ok they found me through a resume i put on monster or career builder, got emailed, i went to an interview, and the presentation was about how much you can make, the growth, the benefits, the mentoring, i just got my life and they want me to also get my health before i get paid. which is no biggie, i already studied it once right. the did say they were expanding and are merging with united america i think it was. united american has sent me like 4 emails this week! lol they are very agressive for sure. i read what you guys say here but the gas money , the charge backs, and other things would be present at any company right? and they said they pay for leads which to me is big because i was originally thinking of going with naa, they charge like more than $20 per lead and they are not exclusive, and they start you off at 55% lnl is at 70%! the training plan sounded good, i already have a laptop, so in that area i am ok. i know i can sell, but i think i am a great motivator of people, and where i live is an area where people are still coming too, this area seems to be still the place to be! they also said the hours are set by me. which is important to me. now met life told me they are interested but they want me to wait till january. aig is strict and besides they ahve some very neg press of late right? certainly the interview was different, a small group, then private for questions, the office was unfurnished but they did say they were expanding in the area. what do you guys think. or girls too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

windbender in Chattanooga, Tennessee

91 months ago

Liberty National is a company which has become determined to trade the loyalty and hard work of long term agents for the short term profits they currently garner through combining pie-in-the-sky promises with employee turnover that would put a madame out of business.

Talk to an agent who works ten hour and twelve hour days on a routine basis and spends hours on the phone every weekend organizing sales interviews for the coming week.

If you can find one determined enough to be working those kind of hours, you'll be looking at someone in the top 2% of the company and that still isn't likely to be someone making anything near the $100,000 they talk about all the time - even after more than a decade of such service to the Company. Not to mention than, out of those earnings come every bit of expense, from car and travel expenses to the cost of promotional items (ink pens and such, emblazoned with the Liberty National name and Torchmark loga) that are presented as "gifts", but are paid for, not by the Company they promote, but with money right out of the agent's pocket.

If you have enough saved to insure that you don't starve in the first six months and work like it's your only hope, you stand a fair chance of being able to earn a modest middle-income living.

Oh, by the way - contrary to their self-promotion, they are not a leader in, and do no offer you the opportunity to sell health insurance. What they sell are critical care and cancer policies, not the kind of health insurance that pays for doctor's visits, routine exams, maintenance percriptions or any of the other stuff you commonly associate with employer provided health care.

As has been pointed out above, management is promoted based on need and little else - least of all education and executive training. As hard as it is for an agent to make a living, for sales managers who turn employees like filets at a fish fry, it's even worse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

what does the average wage in your town have to do with this? lol
you work 2 days a week and make 100,000, i have to see this . exactly what does your 2 days look like? tell me what? 104 days = 100,000 a little less than 1,000 / day!are you a manager? i didn't see any salesmen there so i think this place is a scam, when i don't see any salesmen i always think scam, salesmen usually stick around if the money and working conditions are right what do you guys say to this? my wife asks if you are selling drugs ! she is a joker don't mind her

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

victory in Savannah, Georgia

90 months ago

Heres the way its done.I set 12 to 15 appts for tuesday and 12 to 15 for thursday.I leave the house @700 and get home when ever I finish usually @ 800pm.If someone is a noshow, I keep a book of followups and just drop in.Successful people will do what unsuccessful people wont.Find a area no one else is working,and get out and meet the people,pass out cards,spend some time in the neighborhood.Then go meet their needs,not our greed.I sell more small policies than anything (20-25 dollars).All it takes is 4 to 5 policies per day,then keep them on the books and you make 100 BIGONES.Now the secrets out,go make money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

12 to 15 appointments for tuesday then 12 to 15 on thurdsday, when are these appoinments made and how do you get these appointments, it seems tourchmark has a lot of companies, where is there nobody representing tourchmark? i am not trying to be a hard guy here, but to make 24-30 appointments you need some way to get it right? where do you get those leads, or do you just call out of a telephone book? and why is it they email me so much, it looks like they are desperate! and when i ask them a question i never get an answer? is it true what other people say here that they spend time calling peole from career builder and such?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Fifteen quality sales calls by allowing less than an hour per client visit while enjoying a closing rate of 33%. That's astounding - truly. A hooker on a troop train would envy such efficiency.

Mr. Himler, You are looking at a company who will hand you a Book of business from which you may draw leads - though it may have passed through very many other hands before reaching yours. Their williness to hire you is base on the fact that any Manager who puts you on can earn a bonus equal to 100% of what you earn. You will have no renewals (commission on the Premiums being paid by Clients already in your Book) and any future renewals due to you will get to stay in the Company's pocket when you leave. They are not passed along to the next New Agent who is invited to write friends, family and anyone else he/she knows before moving on.

Managers make a very small fraction of the money New Agents hold as a potential for income. This is one of the primary reasons that long term Agents are rare and new Agents are allowed to come and go like flies at a picnic. If they leave, the Company's obligation to provide many of the benefits they've accrued over time are often avoided - retirement income and renewal commissions, cheif among them, not to mention health insurance (new Agents don't qualify for Health Benefits until they have met certain Issue Requirements).

All in all, it's not a bad company, but it does cycle through a boatload of folks who end up with far less than they bargined for in order to occasionally come across an Agent who is organized and dedicated enough to really make a go of it. For the mentality at work in upper management, it's strictly a matter of numbers; make enough phone calls and you'll get appointments, make enough appointments and you'll get to offer proposals, make enough proposals and you'll close enough to get by. Get by and you'll get better. And, if you don't, there's always the next guy waiting in line for the chance of a lifetime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

"Managers make a very small fraction of the money New Agents hold as a potential for income."

Please read that as; When it comes to long term Agents, managers make a very small fraction of the money New Agent represent as a potential for income.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

windbender,Im not sure where you get your info,buts its not accurate.1st, they dont give me a book of old leads,most every thing I work are fresh leads that I set.They do work leads from several sources,but thats not what most of us use.Did you ever work for Liberty National?Because it dont sound like any thing thats tought at our office.We use a laptop presentation that is GREAT!My hardest problem is making sure that people have a cking acct, because we do bank draft business.33% closing is a little low,Im shooting for 50 to 75%.My customers will give me referrals,I call them,show the prentation,done.By the way Im in the process of moving up to management,I will be working with other agents,training them and making more than what I do now.And to top all of that we have agents that have been in our office for almost 20 yrs.We have managers with 27yrs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Now lets address the benefit issue.All anyone has to do is pass there state exam to get the benefits.They are all hired on a 1099,until they pass,as soon as that happensyou are ready.I passed my state test the 10th week there.I got bc/bs health,dental,life,disability,401,plus what the company puts in.We make torch club by selling a certain amount,and get to go on company pd trips.I love this place.Maybe you move here and work out of our office,then you might like it also!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Savannah, if you'll re-read my post, you will find that I did not say they give anyone a "book of leads". You and I both know that you are assigned to an Agency and given the Client list from that Agency - the "Book of business" to which I did refer. The offer to "visit" with existing Clients in an effort to update information and source referrals is among the primary sources of new leads for most Agents.

For almost the last five years all new-hires are brought in under a 1099 - as a sub-contractors, friend. No New Agent comes on board with health benefits, zip, nadda, nobody. The only exception is Home Office Staff in Texas (their new home ever since the Alabama Courts became a bit too client-friendly for their tastes). The benchmark for Issue at which point it becomes accessable keeps being raised. Currently it's a bit over $8K. If a New Agent is fortunate enough to be assigned a Manager who will go out with them and write $1-2K in Annual Premium each week of their Introduction, the wait isn't long. However, the percentage of the time that actually happens for New Agents is nearly miniscule and is among the primary reasons for the absolutely huge turnover among New Agents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

so let me get this straight, the new leads are actually old clients who already have insurance, i get no benefits till 8k is written, i have to call up people from career builder for "the team", and oh yes, you did say you worked two days but tell me when those appointments were made? i bet that took a lot of time 24-30 appointments doesn't come from 30 calls, more like 200 calls right, i am with a tlelmarketing background am i right here, so perhaps it might take me a day or two to get through 200 calls, maybe even more since i need to do this new thing i am not used to yet, lets say 2 days so now i am up to 4 days , am i right here or what? and if the company is so good why no people there over a couple of months?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

windbender,sorry but your numbers are way out of line,and NO we do not get a book of business when we start.There are sometimes old business on an agency that you can follow up with,but its not there source of business.My agency had NO old business on it.The info you give is not correct by any means.The "benchmark" for business,as you call it,has not been raised since Ive been there.To make our Torch Club You issue @1400 a wk average in annual premium.For a new agent to make bonus its only 800 annual.Dont sound like you know as much about LIB.NAT. as you tell.I would encourage anyone that wants to get started in the insurance business to join our TEAM.Ive recruited several new agents,all will have their own fresh leads by the time they get approved by the state and get their temps.We will make them money from day one,and as long as they follow what we teach them,until they retire!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Mr. Himler,The hardest thing that new agents deal with is getting the state exam passed.In Ga.they have a 60%fail rate for 1st time takers,thats not LIB-NAT,thats state.We give them 6 months to pass the test,if they dont they dont have a job.As for as production goes you have to maintain 320 annual per week,to maintain your job.They do expect you to get up and work.Our referrals are not cold call leads.I set 90% of those I call.I might spend an hour settings appts,sometimes one and a half,which is done after 530 pm.Personally I dont call any career builders,etc,for people to work for us.If someone ask about a job,then I may talk to them.I dont want people that wont work.This is not a lazy persons job,and not a get rich scam.You WORK You EARN,bottom line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

"windbender,sorry but your numbers are way out of line"

Which number would those be - the ones that equate fifteen sales calls in thirteen hours as allowing less than an hour per call, or the one stating that new Agents don't become eligible for healt insurance until they've had over $8K in AP issued?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

If the most difficult thing is passing the exam, kindly explain the turnover rate amongst the new Agents who have, in fact, passed the exam. Or will you deny that majority of new Agents never see their first anniversary with the Company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Both!Its actually 5K Issue and pass the state exam.But you will be at 5k,by the time you pass the exam.As for as the leads go,your way off.I set all my appts for tomorrow in @ 1hr today.You really dont know how its done,just read my articles its all there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

It was $5K - it is now eight. Ask your DM if you don't believe me.

So now you assert that you can set your fifteen appointments for tomorrow with an hour on the phone today, eh? Less than three minutes a pop to look up and dial the number, get the person you are calling to come to the phone, explain the purpose of your call, arrange a convenient time for your visit and verify the address - all without conflicts in scheduling, while enjoying 100% acceptance, no hangups, no wrong numbers and, of course, everybody answers the phone when it's you.

Friend, you have missed your calling. You should be running the FED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I just recked our web page,then called to verify its 7500.Then today I only had to call 8 people,I already had 6 set while I was working there Tuesday.We actually have a 90% set rate and it dont take very long to set a few appts.Im not talking about sales genie or some type of cold lead,we work referral leads.Most of the time my customers have already talked to the referrals that they give me and they are waiting for me to call.Lots of time they will me before I get the chance to call them.I often get more than 15 referrals from the customer before I leave.Then I ask them to let them know I will be calling.Have you ever worked with LIB-NAT?If so,when? Things are a lot differt today than when I 1st got hired.We used a book then,now its all laptop presentation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

i have my life license already, and now to get my health, i'm going to check out a couple of places, but still, when i go to a place i like to long term people there, i like to see furniture? lol , almost think i am better off with national market share than this liberty national. just a little better, but let me check it out further, i have a laptop already, i would like to see exactly what an agent goes through for a week and see what the deal is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Mr Himler,good luck which ever way you decide to go.The 1st 6 months with any company is the hardest,after that things get better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

You'll find that, along with working all new Agents as 1099 sub-contractors and having done away with the service salaries the few remaining older agents still have grandfathered, that Liberty no longer offers an income guarantee during your introduction. There is no draw against commissions as is traditional with many large reputable companies. You work from day one and get paid after they get paid on what you earn. Still, they'll expect you to be a captive agent, none the less.

Your first line of defense, if you can swing it, is to be assinged to a Manager with some track record of success and avoid being put on an agency where the business has already passed through a half-dozen hands over the previous couple of years. Few things are more disconcerting than showing up to visit with an existing Client looking for leads and having them ask, "So...how long is this one going to stay?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Is any company paying a salary now?Id rather work on commission anyway.The more you sale,the more you make.I guess any business will have its draw backs,and some people cant be happy anywhere.So my answer would be to check it out for yourself,if you like it,go to work,if not keep looking until you find what your searching for.Im certain you can find unhappy people in any company,as well as some that are very satisfied.Dig in,you'll find your place somewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

"Is any company paying a salary now?" Yes, many insurance companies do. Liberty National does, just not to new Agents. The Service Salary grandfathered Agents get used to be a source of income upon which the better Agents relied as a reward for having grown their agencies. It encouraged the service of existing accounts, gave customers the benefit of having Agents upon whom they could rely year after year and helped boilster the Company's reputation in the marketplace as one that cared about Clients while showing appreciation for the continued loyalty of its employees. Those were the days when home service was as much more about service than it is today. Of course the turn from people toward profits has becoming the cause celeb among many board members in a broad range of businesses across our nation. Many corporations are currently reaping the rewards that particular vision of shareholder loyalty has earned them. The world has no shortage of Danny Kings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Who?I didnt know any company would pay a salary.I never have found any.I have friends that are in the business also and every one is on commission.Every company is there to turn the numbers.Hiring is a easy way to keep those up.But Im certain this is in every captive company.But captive is the easist way to get in the business and learn the ropes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Sorry - Andy, not Danny. Not someone about whom you may be aware, but, if stay on Torchclub this year, that will change.

As for cycling through a number of folks to keep numbers up. It may serve the short-term interests of Managers who bonus on that basis, as well as the short-term dividends of shareholders. In time, however, the damage done to a company reputation (as demonstrated on these very pages and many just like it) comes home to roost.

Quality recruiting of quality folks followed by quality training and support takes a greater level of talent through higher levels of management than has been seen at Liberty in many many years. The new hire who gets out the pom-poms because he sees himself in management before he turns his first year with the company has become all too common and is no substitute for experienced leadership.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I know Andy King,everyone in the company gets the op to meet him when we get our license and head out to the convention in Atlanta.Im headed for management myself,but only after I have got things working for me.I want to see others do what Ive been able to do.And if they will follow what I tell them,they can succeed.If they dont they may very well be just another in line to talk bad about the company.All of the managers in our office have been there a while,and they help out and really teach what to do.Liberty has good products and fair prices.You can help a lot of people and there family.So for now I plan on setting my 30 appts and selling insurance to those who are in need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Set aside some time to reload you E-Apps application - AGAIN!

On the other hand, at least Home Office can't "misplace" electronic submittals and screw with your bonus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

That was last week.lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Right - for the sixth time since its introduction.

The "shaved ape" approach to selling life insurance is not something of which I'm a real fan. The notion that all you have to do is get in front of somebody and go through the on-screen presentation and let the policy sell itself ignores the reason personal service is personal. In particular, it ignores the critically important role skilled sales people play in identifying opportunity and qualifying customers.

Of course, when you look at the broader range of Managers within the Liberty National family, you find formal education in that area all but wholly lacking, so it comes as real no surprise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

As an agent you have the option,talk,or let the laptop talk.I can sale either way.Some of my customers really like it because they got "INVOLVED"in the process.If I go in a home and all they can afford is 20 a mth,I dont go through a presentation.I just get them what they need,get referrals,and get to the next home.I try to do whats best for the customer,and so for so good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Don't doubt that you can sell (or sale, if you prefer) with, or without your laptop. But as regards the home service market, the Company culture is one that holds the laptop presentation to be so effective that the Agent need only be present to turn it on and witness the application - at least if you believe what was said at the Torchclub banquet in Puerto Rico earlier this year.

I have no doubt that you, or anyone else, can earn a living by taking care of customers. That's generally how everybody earns a living, not just those in insurance. What I do take issue with is your assertion that you spend an hour on the phone to make a day's worth of appointments, do it twice a week and earn over $100K a year.

I've been making Torchclub trips since before Clinton got re-elected, but it's something that has come from working 10-14 hour days a good deal of the time and making phone calls to set appointments for the coming week - something that's routinely done both days of my weekends.

Liberty takes a lot of well deserved criticism for presenting the job as considerably less difficult than it is and then routinely responds to that criticism by casting aspersions on the work ethic of those who find it to be less than held out to be.

As an example of that skewed view of the facts, you will not easily find a single Manager at any level within the Company that will give a straight answer to the simple question asked earlier in this thread; "What percentage of new Agents are still with the Company after 1 year?"

Here's another one they won't answer: What's the average income of a new Agent within the first three months with the Company?

Not how much business is their Manager supposed to help them write on Introduction, but how much do they really earn, on average, after paying for their own gas, car note and insurance, the laptop, the licensing fees and so forth?

In many Districts, more than half the new Agents never finish their Introduction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I wasn't meaning to be an isuue.This week I set 12 appts tues and 14 for thursday.I had several already set before I got on the phone,but I spent 1 hr setting Thursday's appt.And i had a fair week @156,for the week. But I do agree that most are gone before long ,because managers get paid the most on newbys.So the more they bring in the more they can earn.There is probably a 5% retain after 6 months.Im not sure what most new agents turn in there 1st 3 months.I personally made @ 35k.But I also closed 4 payrolls in my 1st 4 months.But over the last several months Ive not been on any PD.I have been working all BB because I want the agents coming on my team to be able to survive when everything is down.So I must sharpen my skills to help them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

If you can get the opportunity to write the Sect. 125 business, it is indeed possible to earn a good living. So long as nobody takes issue with its ability to impact Social Security Benefits (not something most Agents mention) it sure can be appealing to an employer.

It comes in strong, true enough, but that's can be a double-edged sword. Lapse, when it's a single client is tough enough, but when it's an entire group (and in this economy it happens), it can be a real killer. Still, it's hands-down the way to go, if you have the poise to get a business owner, or HR dept., to give you the green light. One thing's for sure, you don't generally have to worry about persistency when it's being deducted from payroll.

Happy hunting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer lhm in Cleveland, Mississippi

90 months ago

victory in Savannah, Georgia said: windbender,Im not sure where you get your info,buts its not accurate.1st, they dont give me a book of old leads,most every thing I work are fresh leads that I set.They do work leads from several sources,but thats not what most of us use.Did you ever work for Liberty National?Because it dont sound like any thing thats tought at our office.We use a laptop presentation that is GREAT!My hardest problem is making sure that people have a cking acct, because we do bank draft business.33% closing is a little low,Im shooting for 50 to 75%.My customers will give me referrals,I call them,show the prentation,done.By the way Im in the process of moving up to management,I will be working with other agents,training them and making more than what I do now.And to top all of that we have agents that have been in our office for almost 20 yrs.We have managers with 27yrs.

your poor grammar just proves what kind of people liberty national hires and sells to. I have a master's degree and am very experienced in sales. This is the worst company I have ever encountered. One thing that they don't tell you in the interview is that if a person drops their policy in the first year, you are charged back for it. I live in the poorest area in the nation. It was no problem for me to sell policies to the people they "suggested" I sell to. Who were those people you ask? People on social security, disability, and welfare. I sold a policy to a family that had 10 people living in a 2 bedroom house. That was personally the point in time that I said enough is enough. It is now almost 4 months later and today I received a letter from the company. They want me to give them 2,500 dollars for all the policies that came back after I had stopped working there. Needless to say, I will see them in court. I tell everyone who asks, DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY OR WORK FOR THEM, IT IS LIKE THROWING YOUR MONEY IN THE GARBAGE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.