How to get a job at Liberty Tax Service.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Host

Do you work at Liberty Tax Service? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

unhappy in Salem, Virginia

32 months ago

i worked for liberty tax service this year and they cut our hours down to 10 to 15. I still havent been paid and they dont seem to care. I even called corporate and all i got was a receptionist who keeps telling me they will get back to me in 24 hours. I wouldnt recommend working there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ripoff in Highland, California

31 months ago

Some Liberty tax franchises will hire you, others use the tax course to make a ton of money. The books they provide cost them about $20.00. They rest of the $250.00 that they charge is pure profit. They cram as many people as they can into the courses to make as much as they can. The instructor that I had did not even pretend to teach the class. He talked about personal stuff (drama with a personal relationship) all night. Absolutely no one out of most of the classes was hired. We found out after we had almost finished the classes that they only hired one or two people a year that were really slow. The people who already worked there wanted no competition for the clients. They wanted all of the work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

TheLibertyTaxLady in Jacksonville, North Carolina

8 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Liberty Tax Service? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Liberty Tax Service only hires from its own tax school which it offers free to local communities every year. Liberty hires the best of the best and these individuals go through training upon training upon training until the new employee is a customer ready tax professional.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

8 months ago

Di Mac in Alexandria, Kentucky said: Fall of '08 I took the 10 week tax course and was hired by Liberty (there are 4 week courses and 10 day courses, too. God knows how you're supposed to learn taxes or their software in that amount of time). I've done taxes in the past but needed to brush up for the season. Turns out I knew more than my instructor (a returning employee who just read from the book).
My impressions:
If you do well on the test, are pleasant, presentable, and flexible, you have a better chance of getting hired, especially during this recession with so many looking for work.
Your customers often know how to play the tax system and can be nasty, so you need to be unflappable.
Also, the office manager may be less than professional to employees who make mistakes (another employee at a nearby office experienced this, too), even though the mistakes are because you've not been properly trained in tax or company procedures (I saw this several times--very unprofessionally handled and in front of others).
This is a high pressure situation at times, other times you are laid off or barely working because tax season has peaks and valleys.
They don't tell you a lot of the drawbacks until you've taken the course and the orientations (they put a VERY positive spin on recruiting and training).
Another employee tells me H&R Block is no better.

Every office is different... If we stopped ordering fast food every time is was made wrong, the fast food industry would be done for rather quickly... New preparers need to remember this is a very sensitive subject, especially when our clients are counting on this money to meet their everyday needs. Especially this year with the IRS opening practically in February, this a 2 1/2 month squeeze.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

8 months ago

ripoff in Highland, California said: Some Liberty tax franchises will hire you, others use the tax course to make a ton of money. The books they provide cost them about $20.00. They rest of the $250.00 that they charge is pure profit. They cram as many people as they can into the courses to make as much as they can. The instructor that I had did not even pretend to teach the class. He talked about personal stuff (drama with a personal relationship) all night. Absolutely no one out of most of the classes was hired. We found out after we had almost finished the classes that they only hired one or two people a year that were really slow. The people who already worked there wanted no competition for the clients. They wanted all of the work.

I am truly sorry about your experience. Our Liberty is much more of a team and family oriented atmosphere. Our instructors are well experienced because they reflect us as a company as do the preparers that we do hire from our classes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

8 months ago

Cosmic Zamboni in Melbourne, Florida said: Most tax preparers start out by taking a ten week tax course with Liberty in the fall. There's no cost to tuition, only for the textbook. Do well in the class, and demonstrate that you're a nice person who will treat other people well, and you'll be hired. This is good for you as well, since you have ten weeks to evaluate the franchisee you're considering going to work for. If, after ten weeks, you think it's a good fit then go for it.

I took a rapid(shorter) class years ago and am still working for Liberty Tax years later. This is a very rewarding position for people that truly care about other people. I really think I have one of the best jobs in the world. I get to help people do a chore that they usually dread and I try to make it fun for them, and, most importantly, it is one less thing on their to do list.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RICHARDW1954 in Burlington, North Carolina

7 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Liberty Tax Service? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview I HAVE TWO SEASONS AT LIBERTY TAX -I WANT TO WORK NOW --HOW DO I GET BACK IN ?/I LEFT APPLICATION //RESUME ,. MICHAEL/JILL BONE ., BUT NOW REBECCA BARNETT --I NEVER MISS WORK /ALWAYS DO MORE THAN ASKED OF ME ., I SEE WAVERS JUST STANDING / YOU NEED TO BE NOTICED -WAVE TO PEOPLE /SAY HI /HAVE AGREAT DAY .PASS OUT COUPONS ,. PLEASE CALL I WANT TO WORK (MUST BE MOVING TO BE NOTICED .RICHARD WAECHTER 402 S. THIRD ST. MEBANE,NC -27302 563-

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bumblebee09 in Saint Petersburg, Florida

7 months ago

The pros-

Great training and learned a lot!

The cons-

Hired as a tax preparer but expected to telemarket/ harass my friends, family and others by calling them to set up appointments to come in and get their taxes done with me. (Um, isn't that why there is a Call Center?) If the 30 calls a day you were expected to make and out of those 8 appointments to be set per day didn't work, then they had you planting signs all over town w/ YOUR personal cell/home phone on them and also doing this on your OWN time. Training was UNPAID! Management did not have a clue most of the time. None of them were on the same page and my direct manager left out some very important info that greatly impacted my ability to do my job. A good bit of blasé attitudes going on amongst managers.

I had imagined that when I was 'hired', I would be paid and esp paid during training. Um, not so! Have not seen a dime from them since I resigned almost a month ago.

Beware of this company! Make sure you get everything in writing and ask questions! I did way too much assuming and it bit me in the butt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SimplyPissed! in Bronx, New York

7 months ago

I worked at Liberty Tax in the Bronx and the proprietors were absolutely abusive with employee's time. One of their locations won't close shop until 1 - 2 AM! That's insane! How can you keep people there that long? I did not get paid for training, I was cheated out of one week's pay, dropped from the work schedule without warning and the owners have avoided me ever since. I have never, ever, ever! experienced this behavior from an EMPLOYER in my life! It's beyond unprofessional and beyond comprehension. I could go on but I would hate them more and more as I write this. They need to be sued, reported to Dept of Labor and put out of business for its mistreatment of employees and then tossing them aside when they can't get more money in the way of returns from them. Simply mean-spirited, less than human and always motivated by greed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SimplyPissed! in Bronx, New York

7 months ago

bumblebee09 in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: The pros-

Great training and learned a lot!

The cons-

Hired as a tax preparer but expected to telemarket/ harass my friends, family and others by calling them to set up appointments to come in and get their taxes done with me. (Um, isn't that why there is a Call Center ?) If the 30 calls a day you were expected to make and out of those 8 appointments to be set per day didn't work, then they had you planting signs all over town w/ YOUR personal cell/home phone on them and also doing this on your OWN time. Training was UNPAID! Management did not have a clue most of the time. None of them were on the same page and my direct manager left out some very important info that greatly impacted my ability to do my job. A good bit of blasé attitudes going on amongst managers.

I had imagined that when I was 'hired', I would be paid and esp paid during training. Um, not so! Have not seen a dime from them since I resigned almost a month ago.

Beware of this company! Make sure you get everything in writing and ask questions! I did way too much assuming and it bit me in the butt.

I totally agree about getting things in writing! Apparently they all make promises and nothing ever seems to be in writing and then you are screwed badly with no proof of anything other than a fraction of the pay that you've agreed upon.

Deidre Swain in Pike Road, Alabama

7 months ago

SimplyPissed! in Bronx, New York said: I worked at Liberty Tax in the Bronx and the proprietors were absolutely abusive with employee's time. One of their locations won't close shop until 1 - 2 AM! That's insane! How can you keep people there that long? I did not get paid for training, I was cheated out of one week's pay, dropped from the work schedule without warning and the owners have avoided me ever since. I have never, ever, ever! experienced this behavior from an EMPLOYER in my life! It's beyond unprofessional and beyond comprehension. I could go on but I would hate them more and more as I write this. They need to be sued, reported to Dept of Labor and put out of business for its mistreatment of employees and then tossing them aside when they can't get more money in the way of returns from them. Simply mean-spirited, less than human and always motivated by greed.

Do you have your own clients that you need to service?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.