Background check dilemma. Please respond!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

david66338 in orlando, Florida

72 months ago

So I have a little dilemma. I just interviewed for Lockheed and received an offer that was contingent on passing a background investigation. On my resume that I used for the interview, I did not list a job I had only two years ago because it wasn't relevant to the position I was applying for (also I only worked six months before leaving and I was working another job as a consultant). I did leave this job on good terms (gave my two weeks) and had a valid reason for leaving (education).

The problem is that now I am being asked to fill out an online application and I am wondering if I should mention the position I left off my resume? I'm worried that if I don't mention the position they can find out in the background check. Is this even possible? How could they find out? I am also worried that if I do mention the position I will naturally be approached by HR asking why I did not put this position on my resume (it was full-time and only two years ago). They might rescind the offer because of this discrepancy. What do you think I should do? My inclination is to just be honest and let the chips fall where they may. However, I really want and need this job!

Please respond.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

david66338 in Winter Park, Florida

72 months ago

I have decided to be honest and include the job in my application. I would rather confront HR about the discrepancy than have an omission on my work history. So no need to post. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

thegoalie in Florida

72 months ago

david66338 in Winter Park, Florida said: I have decided to be honest and include the job in my application. I would rather confront HR about the discrepancy than have an omission on my work history. So no need to post. Thank you.

I'm glad you're including the position. The online application I filled out was pretty thorough. The recruiter initially rejected my application because I left a gap of a few months between an internship and college. They want everything accounted for.

I'm no expert on background checks, but since you use your SSN for tax purposes, I'd be shocked if it doesn't show up.

I really don't see the issue, though. Is it frowned upon to leave out a short-term employment on your resume? I would have done the same thing! The resume is meant to highlight the applicant's strengths in a clear/concise manner. No recruiter wants to read someone's life story every time they browse a resume. I don't think it'll raise any eyebrows to include a job on your online application that wasn't on your resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.