General Info (from LM employee)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (38)

eggy in Palmdale, California

65 months ago

Yikes. So much misinformation on here.

First, some background info on me- I've been at LM a little over 10 years. Started right out of college with a BA. Currently a hiring manager.

Regarding Finding a Job:
1 - you MUST submit your resume online.
2- we DO query the database (well, HR does and provides us a prescreened set of candidates)
3- applying to a bunch of jobs (someone here mentioned 50!) does you no good whatsoever. Pick a few your interested in.
4- if you keep applying with no response, your resumeprobably needs work, eh? LM hires something like 10k people a year - people ARE getting hired!
5- ymmv, but if we want to hire someone, they typically know w/in a week. Sometimes same day.

Regarding Salary:
1- don't ask what a level x makes. Noone can tell you - it varies too much based on job code (aero vs structures vs contracts vs business etc all have different ranges) and location
2- you do not get smaller raises the more you make
3- performance is a (big) differentiator in raises
3a - those only getting 1-2% aren't the high performers (or aren't perceived as such by their boss). The LOWEST raise I ever got was this year - a little over 3%, which isn't bad given the economy.
4- benefits are good. Not great, but good.
5- money from the pool does NOT get diverted into a LDP pool to keep them happy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

smee in Tennessee

64 months ago

I have a question for you, if you don't mind my asking. I submitted my résumé for several positions that appealed to me; all entry-level engineering. I submitted the same résumé and cover letter for all of them. I didn't place any wording specifying the position title or that it was "my ideal position." It simply states my education and co-op experience, and my main objective--to gain an entry-level aerospace engineering position. You've mentioned in another thread that we should tailor our résumé/cover letter to each position for which we apply. How can we really do that if the positions we apply for are similar in nature, but with slightly different job descriptions? At the entry-level, whatever education or experience you have is really it; there's not vast background of options available for filling out a résumé or CV? Thanks for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

First, you NEED to tailor your resume and cover letter to the position you're applying for- at least customizing it for keywords and such so it's relevant to the position you're applying for, unless you have a contact, or come from a top-tier school. The way a cold application gets in is that the HR recruiters provide us (the hiring managers) with a list of "matches." The way most of them get this initial list is with a simple keyword match (the better recruiters do a better job, but that's not most of them). No match, no chance of a hiring manager EVER seeing your resume.

Second, yeah, your resume is going to be very similar to a lot of other ones. You need to include something unique about you- clubs (relevant ones), projects (SAE Formula, AIAA DBF, etc), etc. You have to come up with something. Think about it- if there isn't anything unique that YOU can think of regarding why we should hire you instead of others, why should WE think about hiring you instead of the gaggles of other candidates out there (probably from better schools with higher gpas)?

Finally, one of the hardest things about hiring is finding a good 'fit'- someone who wants to work for you that you want to work for you. Your cover letter is the chance to pass a screen for that (after taking into account point one above).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SigDiff in Raleigh, North Carolina

63 months ago

I'm in a similar situation as smee (entry-level engineer). I was wondering if there's anything in particular that Lockheed HR recruiters like to see in cover letters? I guess this mostly comes down to the personal preference of the person reading it, but there's so many suggestions out there about how to write a cover letter that it's a pretty hit-and-miss deal.

Also, I have a friend who works in the company, but she's been with the company for less than two years. How much will an employee referral from her help me out in this situation? I've had network contacts in at least a dozen aerospace companies who have all tried to help me, but in this economy none of it has panned out so far.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

As far as I can tell, my recruiter doesn't read the cover letters. She's looking for a general "fit" of the resume to the job description I provide. You better believe the hiring manager reads the cover letter though. The cover letter is simply you introducing yourself, telling me why I should interview you, and what's unique about you compared to the dozens of other resumes that I'm going to get for my req- it's a written version of the '30 second elevator speech' you should have to introduce yourself.

Your friend's referral is as good as her own networking- if she's referring you to someone that knows her and thinks highly of her, it's great. If she's referring you to me, who doesn't know her from a hole in the wall, it means nothing.

But be careful asking friends refer you- I've had people ask me about referring their friends. I always tell them (if they're new hires), "Sure, pass the resume along. But remember, if you're referring them, you're vouching for them and it has a reflection on your judgement." It's a surprising good first filter, as many people don't want to refer their friends at that point, since they really only know them as friends, not workers, or they know their friends are f*ups.

SigDiff in Raleigh, North Carolina

63 months ago

Thanks for the info!

Expanding on the cover letters, I was wondering how the selection process goes. What I've got so far is that your recruiter checks the resume for matches to the job, and then you as the hiring manager get the resume and cover letter as the next step. Do you then pass the qualifying candidates on to someone in the department that the position is in, or does the buck stop with you (handling selection, the interviews, etc.)?

This question is a matter of determining my audience in the cover letter. For instance, with someone who is a career HR employee (and therefore I don't have the luxury of expecting them to have a engineering background), I would focus on how I have contributed to past projects and employers from a results standpoint. But if the main decider is an engineer, I can add further specifics about how the projects themselves were innovative, what makes them stand out against other systems that already exist (a sort of engineering wow factor, I guess is the simple way to say it.).

63 months ago

The hiring manager is typically the manager of the department you will be in, so the buck stops there. I will sometimes pass the resume to others in the department (who will be your peers) to take a look at, and will ALWAYS involve potential coworkers in the in-person interview (and often in a phone interview), which means they will see the resume and cover letter as well (not all managers do this however).

Stranded in Conway, Arkansas

63 months ago

Question regarding GPA.

I went to a good engineering school in the northeast but graduated with a less than steller GPA (can give you may reasons, but that doesn't matter anymore). Currently, I am employed for a large corporation, and am looking to get out due to a transfer that I am not happy about. I graduated last year, and have been with this company for about 9 months now.

How does Lockheed screen for GPA on their online applicant programs? I do not want the mediocre GPA to overshadow my resume experience for an entry level position.

63 months ago

At 9 months in, your experience is almost irrelevant. Most companies, not just engineering, basically treat 0-2 year hires basically the same, unless you have something really unique to offer.

Depending on how bad your GPA is (and how bad is it?), you might be much better off sticking it out for 2 years. And yes, it DOES matter why your GPA is bad, and it's going to matter to one extent or another practically for ever. It even gets brought up for presidential candidates, eh? :P I can sympathize- I had a horrendous GPA. Even with a pretty stinkin' good career going, it's still embarrassing and limiting at times.

As far as your GPA, IIRC, in m business unit (aeronautics), there has been a semi-hard cutoff for a while- it varies though, from 2.8 to 3.0, depending on the quality of candidates coming in. A lower GPA doesn't actually disqualify you from a job, but it is used as a screen. This is one of those situations where you really *do* need to make some contacts so your resume doesn't get buried.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RSaunt in Los Angeles, California

63 months ago

I was recently contacted by a LM recruiter stating he received my resume' I submitted online for a Financial Analyst position in El Segundo, CA. He informed me that the position was given a new title and is now called Project Management & Planning Operations Representative. The job description remained the same. He sent me a link for a Application for Employment form and a FCRA form to sign.

I have a couple of questions. I only submitted a resume' and not a cover letter. Yet, the recruiter contacted me anyway. Should I still send a cover letter? Even if the recruiter already forwarded my resume to the hiring manager?

My second question is, where do I go from here? Have I passed a major hurdle to get this far in the process and I have a decent chance for an interview. Or, is the recruiter rounding up dozens of candidates that have also made it as far as me in the hiring process? What can I do now to gain the edge? Given the fact I didn't submit a cover letter?

63 months ago

what did the recruiter say when she contacted you?

63 months ago

eggy in Palmdale, California said: what did the recruiter say when she contacted you?

Actually, the recruiter was a he and he contacted me via email, not by telephone. He sent me the link for the Application for Employment and the FCRA form. After I filled out the application, I sent him an email to let him know I completed it and asked him for the hiring manager's name and business address so I could send a cover letter along with my resume'. That is, if the recruiter hasn't already forwarded my resume' to the hiring manager. If my resume' is in the hiring manager's hands, I can't see that it would make sense to send a cover letter now. The recruiter hasn't responded to this email yet.

It is a little strange that all communication between myself and the recruiter is via email so far. He has sent me a pre-screen form to fill out as well as the above mentioned FCRA and application. I guess I will have to wait and see if I actually get an interview out of this. Perhaps, I should be more proactive and call the recruiter? As I said, he contacted me via e-mail and thus far this has been our only mode of communication.

63 months ago

So you haven't actually spoken to anyone? In that case, no you haven't passed a major hurdle. A hurdle to be sure- someone's actually looked at your resume- but I wouldn't put it up to a "decent" chance at a interview just yet. I typically get at least a dozen resumes per req. right off the bat. Most of them typically don't get a phone interview, and I often ask for more.

As far as 'where you go from here'- you wait.

63 months ago

I am waiting, but not going to hold my breath. The position title was Financial Analyst, but LM changed it Project Management & Planning Operations Representative. The job description makes the position sound more like a computer systems/program analyst than a financial analyst. Though the described program is business/financial related. I am more qualified for actual financial analysis/accounting than I am for programs or systems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John Locke Heed in Baltimore, Maryland

63 months ago

I have some questions about being hired and going through the entire process.

I was contacted about the position early April from the recruiter. I interviewed via phone for position late April. The interview lasted well over 45 minutes. The next couple of days, an offer was drafted and sent to me. Are there any reasons was I hired so easily? They didn't even bothered trying to interview me in person, despite being only a 3-4 hours away from home.

So I decided to accept the position and went through the background screening. I contacted the recruiter in charge of handling my hiring process. I contacted him over a week ago and informed me that I have passed the screening and my direct future supervisor will be contacting me shortly for a start date. Do response times from each area/department vary from time to time? "Shortly" is soon going to be 2 weeks since I passed the screening.

And your "hiring manager is your direct manager" seems misleading. I was hired by someone within the company that doesn't even work in the same state as where I will be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Of course response times vary - it's still people doing the hiring, and people are going to do things differently. We would never hire with just a phone interview, but fit is very important for us. We have applicants talk to members of the team, and usually schedule a half day.

As far as what I said being misleading, what I stated was correct- your hiring manager IS *typically* your dept manager. That, btw, is NOT the same thing as the quote you incorrectly attributed to me.

63 months ago

To be hired after only a phone interview, you must have significantly met all the requirements of the position. Your phone interview must have went very well. Congratulations!

63 months ago

Would there be any valid reason to hire just based on a phone interview? It seem kind of strange that they did that and didn't bother bringing me in for an on-site. And the offer they gave me seem to be much higher than what I asked for. I'm just skeptical because it's one of those too-good-to-be-true events and afraid that my offer will be retracted.

63 months ago

No in person interview may be standard MO for some mangers. They may have a pressinf need and you may have a unique skill set. Or they may be lazy managers. You really have no way of knowing.

As far as offering more than you asked for, that only means you asked for too little. But what you ask for essentially has no bearing on the (typical) offer.

63 months ago

How long should I wait before contacting my recruiter about the status of my start date? It's been 2 weeks since I was told that my manager will be calling/e-mailing me about my start date.

63 months ago

A couple weeks sounds about right. But wasn't there a start date in your offer letter?

jose.otero91@yahoo.com in Apple Valley, California

63 months ago

First let me oppligies if I'm on the incorrect form, you see I have been unemployed since 3/10/10.I recently went to a job fair in Lancaster,Ca.and was able to get 2 interviwes that Saturday in which I felt someone was really looking at what I can offer.On my sencond interview I was told by the recriuter he was forwarding my resume to the Manager at the Palmdale Plant due to a major lay offer and that they were hurting for structure mechanics and was ready to return to that trade. I was excited,I asked how long would it take to get a call or an e-mail, he stated approximatly 2 weeks. It's now been all most 2 weeks. Am I jumping the gun?

63 months ago

Oh, and fwiw 'John', in your professional life, be careful about not attributing statements to people they didn't make - especially as a quote!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Don't get too excited Jose. Just because a recruiter forwards a resume to a manager doesn't mean the manager is going to do anything with it (or even look at it).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Thank You,Is there a follow up I can do on my end?If so who and where? My resume was for the position of Material Handler I have 20 years experiance in that field. It was his Idea if I was intersted in structure.

63 months ago

jose.otero91@yahoo.com in Apple Valley, California said: Thank You,Is there a follow up I can do on my end?If so who and where? My resume was for the position of Material Handler I have 20 years experiance in that field. It was his idea if I was intersted in structure.
Thank You

63 months ago

eggy in Palmdale, California said: Oh, and fwiw 'John', in your professional life, be careful about not attributing statements to people they didn't make - especially as a quote!

Duly noted. And there wasn't a start date on the letter. It said I had to pass pre-employment conditions before my direct manager will contact me for a start date. It's been over 2 weeks now. Is it possible that my offer was rescinded or would they contacted me about that?

I'm getting kind of nervous now since I didn't even go through a face to face interview and was hired just after an hour phone interview.

63 months ago

Jose - not much followup you can do unless you have contact info for the recruiter or manager. Who did you speak to?

John- contact the recruiter. I find it odd you received an offer with no discussion regarding start date.

63 months ago

Well, I waited and I was contacted by LM for an interview. The interview is set for tomorrow (6/17/10).

Mr Doe in Florida

62 months ago

I applied online for a position about a month ago. I was contacted by a recruiter in a week. Did the online application then a prescreen. I was contacted a week later by another recruiter for a phone interview. It went well. Took about 2-3 hours. Awaiting background check..etc...mentioned it could take some time plus there are other candidates for the position...I'm really hoping I land the job. It's really what I want to do for the rest of my career from top to bottom. Mentioned the background check takes awhile plus job require secret clear.

I have to admit, it does suck waiting for a yes/no offer. I'm constantly checking my vmail and email from work hoping to get that offer (lol) but I'll be patient.I made it pretty clear I want the position and this would not turn into any salary back and forth game with my current employer since I pretty much make the exact same currently. I want that job, it's not about the money for me. I already know if I'm offered the job and have to submit a 2week at my current job they will offer me the boatload to stay...they've told me this...but I need a greater challenge on a larger scale to max myself and push harder, so there is no turning down the offer once/if I get it.

I understand there are other candidates along with myself for the position that have to be screened, interviewed,checked..etc before they can offer.

Fingers and toes are crossed.

DCmetroEngr in Fairfax, Virginia

62 months ago

Could someone from LM tell me the salary range for a Network Engineering Stf (not sure if it is a level 5 or 4) in Washington DC or Alexandria, VA? I read in another thread that information is available on the online employee control center which is called LMPeople. Thank you greatly!

Jrhodes1128 in Portland, Oregon

62 months ago

eggy in Palmdale, California said: Oh, and fwiw 'John', in your professional life, be careful about not attributing statements to people they didn't make - especially as a quote!

Eggy,

I am a recent grad and extremely interested and motivated in a career with LM. My father was a VP and sat on their general counsel for a number of years at their Western Development Labs in San Jose, CA. I guess this is where I got my interest. Anyways I am trying to get a job as a contracts negotiator. So far I have had three interviews with LM for that position. The first was at the IS&GS Facility in San Diego, the second was at the aeronautics co in Fort Worth and the most recent(one month ago) was in Sunnyvale at the space systems co. I am currently in the process of completing an NCMA CFCM certification and have do have some very basic level contracts experience. What am I doing wrong? All the feedback from the hiring managers was positive yet I couldn't land the job, Is it possible that you could email me so we could discuss this in more detail and in a more appropriate environment? My email is jrhodes1128@yahoo.com

62 months ago

sorry new to this forum, I thought I had to reply to a post. The john post is irrelevant. It was just the shortest one.

62 months ago

Jrhodes1128 in Portland, Oregon said: What am I doing wrong? All the feedback from the hiring managers was positive yet I couldn't land the job, Is it possible that you could email me so we could discuss this in more detail and in a more appropriate environment? My email is jrhodes1128@yahoo.com

Dropped you a quick email.

But the short of it is, you may not be doing anything wrong. It's a tough economy out there.

You said you got positive feedback from the managers- did you specifically try asking them why you didn't get the jobs?

62 months ago

Yes I did. However it is my understanding that HR trys to deter hiring managers from answering candidates due to legal issues that may arise. In every case they have been positive but somewhat ambiguous concerning the direct reason for passing on the offer.

62 months ago

Absolutely- I was just curious when you said you received positive feedback from them. ;D

Tony

59 months ago

I filled out for a postion in the lancaster,ca base almost two weeks ago.My job status went from open to on hold is that bad?

Toddie4usa1 in Fort Worth, Texas

59 months ago

Tony said: I filled out for a postion in the lancaster,ca base almost two weeks ago.My job status went from open to on hold is that bad?

Hi Tony,

A job being put on hold is not necessarily a bad thing it could be contingent upon many things. I am not going to venture into why it was put on hold but i would suggest you keep checking back.

Hope this helps.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.