Had an initial screening...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Mr-G in Central, Florida

24 months ago

Hello everyone,

I had received an email from a recruiter for LM back almost two weeks ago for a position in Arkansas for engineering. The recruiter had called the next day and gave a description of the position and asked a few questions about my resume. The majority of the questions were about the location of this position and if I would have a problem relocating, etc. I had made it clear that I would relocate anywhere without hesitation.

The recruiter said they were going to forward my profile to that hiring manager and I could expect a response in 1-2 weeks if they were interested. The recruiter also said that if they noticed my name in future openings in the S.E. region, that they would automatically forward my profile to the hiring manager.

There is about a day left on the two-week window that I was told would dictate their interest. I'm not sure if I should give it more time, if I should follow up with the recruiter, or if I should take the silence as my answer (which the recruiter mentioned). I realize that this "initial screening" does not guarantee another interview. I'm just curious what the likelihood is that I would progress further.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Mr-G in Central, Florida said: Hello everyone,

I had received an email from a recruiter for LM back almost two weeks ago for a position in Arkansas for engineering. The recruiter had called the next day and gave a description of the position and asked a few questions about my resume. The majority of the questions were about the location of this position and if I would have a problem relocating, etc. I had made it clear that I would relocate anywhere without hesitation.

The recruiter said they were going to forward my profile to that hiring manager and I could expect a response in 1-2 weeks if they were interested. The recruiter also said that if they noticed my name in future openings in the S.E. region, that they would automatically forward my profile to the hiring manager.

There is about a day left on the two-week window that I was told would dictate their interest. I'm not sure if I should give it more time, if I should follow up with the recruiter, or if I should take the silence as my answer (which the recruiter mentioned). I realize that this "initial screening" does not guarantee another interview. I'm just curious what the likelihood is that I would progress further.

This is a very common scenario today. The main thing is to never stop applying for other jobs, no matter what they say. That said, one follow up is in order. Personally, I don't do email because those are easily ignored but its up to you.

Recruiter Bob LM in Haiti

24 months ago

Bluetea is spot on. Continue to follow up every few weeks, but just be aware that 2 weeks has a tendency to become 2 months, especially with the government's current budget challenges. If you don't hear back in a timely fashion, don't give up hope, but keep on applying for other jobs in the meantime.

Mr-G in Central, Florida

24 months ago

Thank you both for the input. I have kept applying for jobs with LM and elsewhere because I don't like the idea of waiting for just one opportunity that realistically might not happen. I did not know that 2 weeks may not mean 2 weeks, so that helps as well. There's a LM information session at my former college next week for jobs that I have already applied for in Orlando, so hopefully that will lead somewhere as well. Thanks again.

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Mr-G in Central, Florida said: Thank you both for the input. I have kept applying for jobs with LM and elsewhere because I don't like the idea of waiting for just one opportunity that realistically might not happen. I did not know that 2 weeks may not mean 2 weeks, so that helps as well. There's a LM information session at my former college next week for jobs that I have already applied for in Orlando, so hopefully that will lead somewhere as well. Thanks again.

Don't ever confuse a figure of speech with a train schedule or a promise.

1. We'll be in touch.
2. We have a few more candidates to interview.
3. We'll let you know.
4. The boss is in Hawaii

These are all figures of speech and mean nothing.

Again, regardless of what "they said" keep applying. In lieu of a job offer, you got nothing. Remember that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mr-G in Central, Florida

24 months ago

Understood. I appreciate your input!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.