Internal Job Board Submission and Other Questions

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Dave22003 in Annandale, Virginia

32 months ago

Hi, I've just recently graduated from college with my Bachelor's in Information Technology. I have a fairly good GPA, honors distinction, Dean's List, about 1.5 years help desk experience, and some certifications.

A classmate who I worked on group projects with works for Lockheed and referred me so that I could look at the internal job listings board and apply for some positions.

When looking at the list, sometimes things like Field Technician, Systems Administrator Asc, or Help Desk show up multiple times with different "Req ID[s]".

So if there are multiple different positions with the same job titles what is the protocol for this? Would I apply for multiple positions with the same title or just one of each?

----

I'm in the Northern Virginia area as well so if anyone here works in the area and knows any IT-related managers and would be willing look over my resume and maybe hand it in somewhere that'd be great too.

Also, I've read that certain recruiting agencies work primarily with Lockheed Martin. Does anyone know the name of the one for the Northern Virginia/DC area?

Thanks for any and all help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Recruiter Bob in Chicago, Illinois

32 months ago

Hi Dave, each REQ ID number represents an individual job that will need to be filled. A prudent sourcing recruiter will probably track your application to all of these positions, but to be 100% sure that you're being considered, I'd recommend applying to each individual vacancy.

Good luck, and don't forget to download my e-book, "How To Get Hired By Lockheed Martin", available over at Lulu.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Boston, Massachusetts

31 months ago

Hi everyone,

Quick question. I applied to a position with Lockheed on Jan 31st. The job is still open as of today. Is there anyway to check in with a recruiter on the status? Is it possible that they chose someone already and this person hasnt started yet? I just wish I could contact someone in regards to it. Any help would be great

31 months ago

Anothony, if you know an active employee with the company, you can email them the REQ ID number and have them contact the hiring manager for you. (I and most oth LM employees only do this for people we know). The manager might have already hired someone who's going through the clearance process, or if the job if posted as "BLUE SKY", don't hold your breath-- that means they're accepting resumes in anticipation of winning the contract.

31 months ago

Thanks Bob. Unfortunately I do not know any active LM employees. I wish I did. The req is indirect. Thanks for the info on Blue Sky. I just wish there was a way speak with someone to follow up. I am a recruiter for a different company and I know the importance of following up with the recruiter. Hopefully I will hear from them sooner or later. Do they inform you if you do not get the job?

31 months ago

Thanks Bob. Unfortunately I do not know any active LM employees. I wish I did. The req is indirect. Thanks for the info on Blue Sky. I just wish there was a way speak with someone to follow up. I am a recruiter for a different company and I know the importance of following up with the recruiter. Hopefully I will hear from them sooner or later. Do they inform you if you do not get the job?

31 months ago

31 months ago

Very few managers will let you know if someone else was chosen over you. In most cases, you're left hanging out in limbo. I always recommend that people apply for as many positions as they're minimally qualified for to increase the chance of being contacted by a human being. For you though, try bumping into an LM contact at an area career fair.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

eggy in socal, California

31 months ago

Recruiter Bob in Chicago, Illinois said: I always recommend that people apply for as many positions as they're minimally qualified for to increase the chance of being contacted by a human being.

I disagree with this. As a hiring manager, I can see when someone has applied for every job under the sun. When hiring, you want someone that actually wants to work the job they're applying for, not someone desperately fishing for anything available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Londonderry, New Hampshire

31 months ago

eggy in socal, California said: I disagree with this. As a hiring manager, I can see when someone has applied for every job under the sun. When hiring, you want someone that actually wants to work the job they're applying for, not someone desperately fishing for anything available.

Hi Eggy. Is there a way to get in touch with a recruiter or hiring manager? I applied for a job two months ago that I feel I am rather qualified for and it has been open for 2 months. Today it was updated or the req was possibly relaunched as on the jobs web page it says last updated 3/22. I would really like to follow up or find out if I am not being considered for the position. I understand how big the company is but it would be nice to have idea if I am being considered or not. The position I applied for is a security assistant/visitor access. The FSO or Security manager position is still open as well so I was thinking maybe they are waiting to hire that person. Any thoughts or advice?

31 months ago

Anthony in Londonderry, New Hampshire said: Hi Eggy. Is there a way to get in touch with a recruiter or hiring manager?

Unfortunately, not really, unless you met them at an event or they've contacted you already.

The one reminder i will toss out is that if someone does contact you, get their contact info. I'm constantly amazed at the posts in here from folks who are wondering how to get in contact with a recruiter or manager they spoke to...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Anthony in Londonderry, New Hampshire said: Hi Eggy. Is there a way to get in touch with a recruiter or hiring manager?

Unfortunately, not really, unless you met them at an event or they've contacted you already.

The one reminder i will toss out is that if someone does contact you, get their contact info. I'm constantly amazed at the posts in here from folks who are wondering how to get in contact with a recruiter or manager they spoke to...

31 months ago

31 months ago

This is still Anthony in Londonderry, different computer. Eggy, any chance you would willing to help someone who really wants to work in this type of environment? I am not sure which office this req runs through but I have tried calling the local office where the position is located and I was told there were no local recruiters to speak to. I'm just really looking for some information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

31 months ago

eggy in socal, California said: I disagree with this. As a hiring manager, I can see when someone has applied for every job under the sun. When hiring, you want someone that actually wants to work the job they're applying for, not someone desperately fishing for anything available.

I don't apply for every job under the sun but if I have applied 3 times and have never gotten a response, I cross that employer off my list and move on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I don't apply for every job under the sun but if I have applied 3 times and have never gotten a response, I cross that employer off my list and move on.

Your prerogative of course, but I'm not sure a blanket 'cross them off the list' makes much sense either, given the size of the company and number of locations.

Anthony, not sure what help you're looking for - i most likely wouldn't be able to provide you with the name of the recruiter for the req (that's not a tidbit listed).

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.