Lockeed Martin Space Systems Company (SSC) what's going on with Special Programs?!?!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Bear in Hayward, California

87 months ago

Does anyone know what's going on with Special Programs (SP) within LM's Space System Company in Sunnyvale, CA and Denver, CO??? Why is there a hiring freeze, what happened, how many are affected by it, what's going on, will the program ever start up again, what is Special Program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky

87 months ago

Probably because of this:

www.lockheedmartin.com/wms/findPage.do?dsp=fec&ci=18504&rsbci=0&fti=111&ti=0&sc=400

Usually a large contractor will retain a workforce associated with a big project until the end so they are assured that any contingencies are covered in case of failures. When the final testing of a project is complete, they will lay-off all but those who remain essential to that project.

Available-4-Hire in Castro Valley, California

86 months ago

I received the following (non-proprietary) "Interoffice Memo" dated Aug 23, 2007 that explains the situation. It reads (in part):

“The Government has issued stop work orders on multiple programs in the Special Programs line of business. We are, of course, disappointed by these actions which affect approximately 1,000 employees in Sunnyvale (CA).

“Your Space Systems Company (SSC) leadership team is vigorously addressing this issue. We already have placed more than 750 of our affected colleagues on other SSC programs…

“As required by law, affected employees who have not yet been placed will receive Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN) notices that their employment will end 60 days after they receive the notification…”

I hope that answers your question.

86 months ago

Available-4-Hire in Castro Valley, California said: I received the following (non-proprietary) "Interoffice Memo" dated Aug 23, 2007 that explains the situation. It reads (in part):

The Government has issued stop work orders on multiple programs in the Special Programs line of business. We are, of course, disappointed by these actions which affect approximately 1,000 employees in Sunnyvale (CA).

Your Space Systems Company (SSC) leadership team is vigorously addressing this issue. We already have placed more than 750 of our affected colleagues on other SSC programs.

As required by law, affected employees who have not yet been placed will receive Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN) notices that their employment will end 60 days after they receive the notification.

I hope that answers your question.

(EDITTED TO REMOVE ODD SYMBOLS)

Covidien in Pleasanton, California

86 months ago

Bear in Hayward, California said: Does anyone know what's going on with Special Programs (SP) within LM's Space System Company in Sunnyvale, CA and Denver, CO??? Why is there a hiring freeze, what happened, how many are affected by it, what's going on, will the program ever start up again, what is Special Program?

My friend works there, she says they are hiring in the materials division..try that

Bear in San Francisco, California

86 months ago

wow that blows and thanks for the inside scoop. Heres my situation...I'm a new college grad who received an offer in February and in mid-July LM (SSC Sunnyvale) notified me of this situation. They withdrew the offer of employment. Do you think i'll be receiving a WARN notice? I haven't even started my first day there i was initially supposed to start on Sept. 10th. Can you help me get back in Sunnvale?

86 months ago

Bear in San Francisco, California said: They withdrew the offer of employment. Do you think I'll be receiving a WARN notice? I haven't even started my first day there I was initially supposed to start on Sept. 10th. Can you help me get back in Sunnyvale?

Only employees facing a pending lay-off due to government cut-backs qualify for the WARN Act notice. It is a sixty day allotment of time with pay for an employee to seek relocation within the company or a new job outside of the company.

And: No, I cannot help you "get back in". Sorry. Just keep checking back with your recruiter to see if the tide has changed. It will take at least two months (60 days) before this all blows over; by then the remaining 250 people who received the WARN Act notice will be either gone or relocated.

Once the program managers start crying for more help to make schedule, the corporate bosses will open up the hiring gates again. It all comes down to schedule; if milestones are missed LM doesn't get paid and launch windows are lost.

Realistically speaking, they might want to initially hire contractors (job-shoppers) before bringing on-board more permanent employees. This allows them to catch up the schedules without the long term commitment permanent employment entails.

Maybe you should consider a six month contract to get your foot in the door. If you prove yourself and times remain good, your manager may request bringing you into his group as a permanent. Remember to bump up your hourly rate by $10 to $20 over the equivalent salary rate they were offering you since you won't be getting any benefits or pension accrual.

Bear in Oakland, California

85 months ago

anyone got any new updates with this topic????

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.