Lockheed offer.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Drew in Chico, California

42 months ago

Hey everyone, new to the site, So I got an offer from Lockheed today for a Field Engineering Associate (newbie) position today, I have 6 years in the navy experience with missile systems (missile tech) and will be graduating this may with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering. The offer i was given seems pretty low, its for a job at vandenburg afb, A good friend of mine got out of the navy (same job as me) and started as a field eng asc up in Washington and got approx 1k higher offer than i just got......I felt like the offer should have been at least a noticeable amount higher than what he got mainly because of my degree (with a 3.2 gpa).

So, yea, I'm not sure how to address this. I emailed HR in return asking about negotiations and was told that for the most part, the offer is final. Thoughts? opinions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Also another question: What if i were to decline this position, is there a set amount of time that i have to wait in order to apply and be considered for another position at Lockheed?

I have to respond with the offer by the 20th too, any thoughts?

Old Timer in Mississippi

42 months ago

Drew in Chico, California said: Also another question: What if i were to decline this position, is there a set amount of time that i have to wait in order to apply and be considered for another position at Lockheed?

I have to respond with the offer by the 20th too, any thoughts?

They are probably telling you corectly about the salary offer. It is a take it or leave it offer.Take the job and in a couple years with some experience you can negotiate a better salary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

eggy in socal, California

42 months ago

Typically, there is no extra salary just for having a given degree at Lockheed, so you're probably not going to get a higher offer 'just' for having a degree.

If you decline, you don't have to wait to reapply for something else.

As "for the most part, the offer" being final... You can always ask for more. Worst that'll happen is they say no. An if they say no, ask for for a signing bonus. If they say ok to more, still ask for a signing bonus. ;D

42 months ago

I would understand them not giving extra salary just for a degree, its like saying I want more money just because i'm qualified for the job. Mainly, I'm concerned with the cost of living in Santa Barbara county. Its pretty damn high, I'd be spending almost half my take home just on rent alone... I'm going to ask for more, and see what comes from it, and thanks for the idea with the signing bonus. :D

JustNeedMe in Madison, Alabama

40 months ago

Speaking from my experience... I would take the job, because LM is known for making final offers.. and they set budget based on each positions.. if you delcine, they will find someone for that same amount of money.. I would go ahead and take the job. You get pay raise every year based on your performance review..so it's a additional bonus for you.

Drew in Chico, California said: Hey everyone, new to the site, So I got an offer from Lockheed today for a Field Engineering Associate (newbie) position today, I have 6 years in the navy experience with missile systems (missile tech) and will be graduating this may with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering. The offer i was given seems pretty low, its for a job at vandenburg afb, A good friend of mine got out of the navy (same job as me) and started as a field eng asc up in Washington and got approx 1k higher offer than i just got......I felt like the offer should have been at least a noticeable amount higher than what he got mainly because of my degree (with a 3.2 gpa).

So, yea, I'm not sure how to address this. I emailed HR in return asking about negotiations and was told that for the most part, the offer is final. Thoughts? opinions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

No not correct. Every employee get raise every year... so he'll easily jump over 1k in one year.

Old Timer in Mississippi said: They are probably telling you corectly about the salary offer. It is a take it or leave it offer.Take the job and in a couple years with some experience you can negotiate a better salary.

40 months ago

Hey everyone, here's an update with the situation. So I ended up calling the HR lady i had been in contact with and asked to go over the details of the offer, come to find out the points in my resume which gave me most of the qualifications for the job were not considered for the offer, so we talked a bit and I was given a new offer with approximately a 4K higher salary offer. So, better than nothing, and it never hurts to check. After I received the new offer, I received a call from Intel relating to a previous internship from last summer, they wanted a site interview. I accepted on the last day of the offer deadline for lockheed since it was my only guarantee at the time...even though the job was contingent on a contract award coming this june. Long story short, Intel rushed the site interview because of my deadline, I received a much much higher offer from intel and sent the offer to lockheed for a match. LM matched the base starting salary, but not bonuses, etc. I ended up signing with Intel due to the possibility of LM not winning the GMD contract, in that case I wouldn't have a job. LM understood that my decision was based on the guarantee of the job with Intel, and I was impressed that they matched the offer, since the original offer from LM was 53K and they matched 65K.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Well dang.. I'm very impressed with this. THe GMD contract.. You did the right thing. IT will be December before the contract is finally awarded to LM.. IT's been delayed for a year.. and many people who got laid off in Huntsville, AL and was hoping to get on GMD contract, but couldn't because.. It's not promised.

Drew in Chico, California said: Hey everyone, new to the site, So I got an offer from Lockheed today for a Field Engineering Associate (newbie) position today, I have 6 years in the navy experience with missile systems (missile tech) and will be graduating this may with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering. The offer i was given seems pretty low, its for a job at vandenburg afb, A good friend of mine got out of the navy (same job as me) and started as a field eng asc up in Washington and got approx 1k higher offer than i just got......I felt like the offer should have been at least a noticeable amount higher than what he got mainly because of my degree (with a 3.2 gpa).

Drew in Pasadena, California

40 months ago

I just checked the GMD contract latest news, they now will not find out who its awarded to until late fall. This would have had me sitting around waiting, I'm glad i made the decision I did. :)

40 months ago

Yes, it sad at how Government is handling this GMD contract...and on top of that, rumor has it that GMD may not be awarded to Lockheed, but back to Boeing but we'll see how that goes...

39 months ago

Glad everything worked out for you Drew- as I said, it never hurts to ask for more. I hope you asked for more at Intel as well. ;D

I don't know where JNM is coming from talking about just accepting offers because it's probably the final. That's just about the worst piece of advice on any job requiring skill and knowledge. ALWAYS ask for more. :P Once up on a time when I was just a couple years out of college, I had an offer for $55k, I asked for $65k, and they gave me $70k. Ha! :D

39 months ago

And for the record, not every employee gets a raise every year. I've had to have that painful discussion with some of my employees on more than one occasion.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.