Military Hire

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Army in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

22 months ago

I have gone through LM website and read that they hire military people. My question is i'm a qualified veteran with a degree from a good school and have applied for numerous jobs with advice from LM military managers up till now nobody has got back? any recruiter out here to give me an insight on what i'm doing wrong?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Recruiter Bob in Chicago, Illinois

22 months ago

Ah, where to begin? You sound like a good fit for LM, but the problem is that there are quite a few qualified applicants out there right now. It's a competitive job market, particularly given the political climate in Washington right now.

You might want to start by checking out my e-book, "How to get hired by Lockheed Martin", available for download on the Smashwords website. It's got some good insight into LM's selection process, and some solid advice for getting your resume noticed. Above all else, be persistent! Keep applying for the jobs that interest you and fit your skills, and eventually the timing will line up!

22 months ago

Well is there a way of getting info on my application as waiting does not help....how long on average does it take for somebody to contact me? I mean isn't there anyway to claim veteran status?

Recruiter Bob in Chicago, Illinois

22 months ago

Yes, there are several ways to get a status update on your application. ;) And the time it takes for you to be contacted depends on a lot of things including the status of your program or how soon the position actually needs to be filled.

Also, while LM is one of the most military-friendly employers out there, there's no such thing as "veteran status" in the private sector. Even the federal government will only give vets a few extra preference points for their service-- applicants are still ranked competitively against each other. With that in mind, your best bet would be to make yourself the most attractive candidate you can possibly be.

22 months ago

So what ways could i get status updates? i mean how time would you say on average?? Well i know you have to be patient but sometimes its hard.....

Times Up in Huntsville, Alabama

22 months ago

Army in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I have gone through LM website and read that they hire military people. My question is i'm a qualified veteran with a degree from a good school and have applied for numerous jobs with advice from LM military managers up till now nobody has got back? any recruiter out here to give me an insight on what i'm doing wrong?

Had same issue. Alot of competition right now. I managed to make it thru a screening and panel interview only to be left hanging. The hiring manager told me I was the number 1 choice and needed to check references, and do a security screening. None of my references were called and credit was never checked so I know that wasnt true. After 2 weeks I contacted the manager who said they went with another choice.

Times Up in Huntsville, Alabama

22 months ago

As a side note, LM favors officers reguardless of degree or qualifications. If they know you were former enlisted, they will hire you but dont expect anything more than associate manager. I have a Graduate Degree and was offered a mechanic position vs an equelly qualified former officer was placed in a manager position running a major program.

Recruiter Bob in Springfield, Virginia

22 months ago

Army in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: So what ways could i get status updates? i mean how time would you say on average?? Well i know you have to be patient but sometimes its hard.....

It's always hard to be patient when you're the applicant! Try to keep in mind that LM gets around 70% of its business from the federal government, and recently announced that they may have to lay off as many as 10,000 employees if the government goes over the "fiscal cliff". That's close to 10% of the company that could possibly be impacted, not to mention the thousands of others whose workloads would be affected.

With that point of view, new applicants probably aren't the company's top priority right now. While you're waiting to hear back from your recruiter, you really should check out my e-book. It'll give you some insight into what you're doing wrong, and will help you make that first contact with an actual human being...

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.