Working for U.S. Corporations Sucks!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Dan in Saint Louis, MO

115 months ago

U.S. Corporations are the most disloyal, back stabbing, ruthless, unhealthy environments! They are rotten to work for and I hope that they fail (they already are because of their ruthlessness towards American workers!) Screw The Corporation - Let It Bleed!!! Reminds me of the scene in Saving Private Ryan where the PFC tells the other grunts not to shoot the germans that are on fire "Let em burn!"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Patriot in Oakland, CA

115 months ago

So don't work there. Become self employed. Doh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rick in Denver in Aurora, Colorado

114 months ago

Dan,

What's your point. It's obvious you're PO'd.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Meegan in Dallas, Texas

114 months ago

I think Dan is referring to the report on how the top corporations to work for are all (yes all!) in Europe. Nothing stays static and just like the fat guy sitting in his recliner doesn't know how he got fat, the US work force is now at the bottom of the rung in Western Civilization for benefits, pay and time-off because of the slash and burn management strategy to maximize profits and most worker's don't have a clue as to what happened or that we are no longer on top. This is a general statement and of course there are exceptions, but none are top places in the Western World to work, even the good ones. It's sad. We've gone from first to last in nearly everything as a nation. Is there anything we can do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pp in Mount Laurel, New Jersey

114 months ago

Meegan said: I think Dan is referring to the report on how the top corporations to work for are all (yes all!) in Europe. Nothing stays static and just like the fat guy sitting in his recliner doesn't know how he got fat, the US work force is now at the bottom of the rung in Western Civilization for benefits, pay and time-off because of the slash and burn management strategy to maximize profits and most worker's don't have a clue as to what happened or that we are no longer on top. This is a general statement and of course there are exceptions, but none are top places in the Western World to work, even the good ones. It's sad. We've gone from first to last in nearly everything as a nation. Is there anything we can do?

If you want European style benefits (such as six week's of vacation and "healthcare" that might kill you by waiting for a doctor or through incompetence) then be prepared for euro-style taxes. I've lived there. I'd rather be dead in the U.S.A than sick in Europe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Rick in Denver in Aurora, Colorado

113 months ago

Dan,

This is why everyones alternative to working for someone else is to start your own business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ron in Lubbock, Texas

112 months ago

I agree that employer/employee loyalty is dead and gone. Unfortunately, I don't think it will ever come back. From here on in, there is no patriotism, just "every man [and woman] for himself [and herself]". Is this any way to be? What happened to "we are all professionals"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

jrodz in Kissimmee, Florida

112 months ago

Dan said: U.S. Corporations are the most disloyal, back stabbing, ruthless, unhealthy environments! They are rotten to work for and I hope that they fail (they already are because of their ruthlessness towards American workers!) Screw The Corporation - Let It Bleed!!! Reminds me of the scene in Saving Private Ryan where the PFC tells the other grunts not to shoot the germans that are on fire "Let em burn!"

In a way, I agreed with Dan! One day you are in a solid position, the next day, you are not. It is very difficult to maintained a balance in professional jobs where instability is the name of the game.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marsha in Atlanta, Georgia

112 months ago

Dan said: U.S. Corporations are the most disloyal, back stabbing, ruthless, unhealthy environments! They are rotten to work for and I hope that they fail (they already are because of their ruthlessness towards American workers!) Screw The Corporation - Let It Bleed!!! Reminds me of the scene in Saving Private Ryan where the PFC tells the other grunts not to shoot the germans that are on fire "Let em burn!"
You obviously don't live in the US so who cares what you think!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Semi Bob in Spring Hill, Florida

112 months ago

Sooner or later, after having tried and failed a few times, I will be in business for myself because the days of long-tenured corporate employment are done. No use crying, for better or worse welcome to the "Global Economy."

A word about European companies: Europe has much higher unemployment rates than the US. Those perks and benefits and the difficulty in discharging workers make European companies very picky about hiring in the first place, at least in Europe. And, yes, there are the taxes.

One thing I have noticed is what I call the "commoditization" of labor today, even office work. Companies no longer want people with broad experience and common sense. They want someone, for example, with experience working on Crystal Reports in a retail environment. Oh, you worked in retail but with FRx? Sorry. Very, very specific in their requirements. They are hiring tasks to be done, not people.

Why? Well,I have an educated guess. One consequence of the outsourcing drive is that tactical and strategic decisions are being made at much higher levels of companies, with less and less input "bubbling up" from line managers. So why get a well-rounded type who can help you make good choices? If you want something specific done, you hire the skill-set for that and that alone. As Quick Draw McGraw used to say "I'll do the thinin' around here, Babalouie." When you treat a company as so many tasks, instead of an integrated enterprise, that sort of thinking makes sense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kane Dalarian in Haddonfield, New Jersey

108 months ago

pp in Mount Laurel, New Jersey said: If you want European style benefits (such as six week's of vacation and "healthcare" that might kill you by waiting for a doctor or through incompetence) then be prepared for euro-style taxes. I've lived there. I'd rather be dead in the U.S.A than sick in Europe.

Why propagate Rush Limbaugh-style lies? Can you think for yourself? Better dead in US than sick in Europe? People -- there's a world of reality out there beyond what Rush and Fox news tells you. They are the liars, and when you repeat what they say, you're a liar too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sigh in Medford, New Jersey

108 months ago

Kane Dalarian in Haddonfield, New Jersey said: Why propagate Rush Limbaugh-style lies? Can you think for yourself? Better dead in US than sick in Europe? People -- there's a world of reality out there beyond what Rush and Fox news tells you. They are the liars, and when you repeat what they say, you're a liar too.

Kudos, Kane. It seems research and critical thinking are lost skills. I wish folks would stop believing all the "news" sound bites.

I've had responses that research "takes too much time" and "why not just tell us the answer". I'll bet they know who won "the game" last night and can recite other worthless statistics, and know the latest on Paris Hilton, reality TV, movies, and actors, etc. but cannot name their senators, representatives, explain the 3 branches of government, or understand The Constitution.

It seems most have fallen prey to the old "bread and circus" distractions and explains why our great country is being sold out right under our noses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sigh in Medford, New Jersey

108 months ago

Ron in Lubbock, Texas said: I agree that employer/employee loyalty is dead and gone. Unfortunately, I don't think it will ever come back. From here on in, there is no patriotism, just "every man [and woman] for himself [and herself]". Is this any way to be? What happened to "we are all professionals"?

I agree, Dan. At the same time, the "team" mentality is shoved down our throats. Probably so the back stabbers can steal our ideas. I've had that happen as well as my work stolen and presented in front of me without recognition or worse yet, without remorse.

The other thing that irks me is interviewers who "grill" you. Not to mention the fact that they will then proceed to poke and prod into your credit report, driving record, and bodily fluids even though they have nothing to do with the job you're applying for. The reward for going through this is to work with back stabbers and/or a paper trail ripe for identity theft.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joshua in Sunnyvale, California

108 months ago

Meegan in Dallas, Texas said: I think Dan is referring to the report on how the top corporations to work for are all (yes all!) in Europe. Nothing stays static and just like the fat guy sitting in his recliner doesn't know how he got fat, the US work force is now at the bottom of the rung in Western Civilization for benefits, pay and time-off because of the slash and burn management strategy to maximize profits and most worker's don't have a clue as to what happened or that we are no longer on top. This is a general statement and of course there are exceptions, but none are top places in the Western World to work, even the good ones. It's sad. We've gone from first to last in nearly everything as a nation. Is there anything we can do?

The US immigration floodgates have been open for years now with H-1B
and other guest worker visas. Who shows up at the door? Chinese,
Indians, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Mexicans, etc. Where are the
Europeans? Thanks but no thanks folks, we'll be fine where we're at now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Joshua in Sunnyvale, California

108 months ago

Rick in Denver in Aurora, Colorado said: Dan,

This is why everyones alternative to working for someone else is to start your own business.

Self employment will be practical once again after we institute
protectionist legislation. The ball is already rolling, let's just
be sure it hits it's target.

1. Protectionist trade policy against China, etc.

2. Ensure that those who expatriate their manufacturing operations
from the US market (yes, this means you too, B. Gates) cannot be
allowed to repatriate into the US market.

3. Once housing cost CPI stabilizes with respect to manufactured goods
CPI, US workers will once again be able to afford homes as well as the
goods and services provided by other US workers.

Under these circumstances their could well be a retrogression of the
1950's Nationalist economy, which allowed for the most unprecedented
levels of innovation in human history.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David in Concord, New Hampshire

108 months ago

re: pp in laurel, NJ's comments,

Here are the sort of person that is so blindly patriotic he doesnt care about making America a better place.

You'd rather be dead in the US than sick in Europe? Are you that hopeless??

We may have a good healthcare system but what good is it if you can't afford health insurance (and many can't. And if our health care is not accessible to all, which it isn't, then it really isn't a good health care system.

Finally..what the hell is wrong with having 4-6 weeks of vacation annually like the Europeans are? If we had there system, we'd have happier and more productive workers.. not kermudgons like you!

Also notice.. immigrants to the US are almost always poor third world types. Folks in France, Switzerland, and Germany have no desire to come here and I don't blame them!

My big question is why do we as Americans put up with our minscule vacation time and often low levels of benefits?? anyone got an answer to that? are we afraid to unionize? afraid to speak are minds? or is it that America has become so damn materialistic that getting stuff has become more important than personal renewal and family life??

David

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Dallas, Texas

107 months ago

Everyone better learn to live with what we have. The average job now lasts 3 - 5 years, whether you leave or are asked to leave. A person who is now twenty will probably change jobs 10 - 15 times in their life. Your father's and grandfather's days of being with one company all of your life is all but dead. You will have to constantly be "in the market" and learning how your industry is changing and what you have to do not get left behind. Two choices kids, get off your behinds and do what it takes or spend your time griping and get left behind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.