Worried about security clearance -- please help!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Clever_Username in Illinois

64 months ago

Hey all,

I will (hopefully) be starting an internship on June 1st at Lockheed Martin in northern Virginia. However, I am currently awaiting the results of my security clearance application (Top Secret level).

A little background: 21 years old, senior in Computer Engineering, very moderate drinker, never done any illegal drugs, never been arrested or gotten so much as a speeding ticket, born and raised here in the U.S.

I am worried about a few things, however:

1.) On my SF-86, I had originally put that I had never traveled to a foreign country. However, I have been to Canada around 15 times throughout my life -- all for 4 hours or less. During my interview with the background investigator assigned to my case, I made this very clear, and told him the nature of my travels -- all for recreation.

** A couple days after my initial security interview, I was called back by the investigator for a secondary interview, he said something along the lines of "a few things popped up during the investigation that I just need to clarify with you". **

2.) He had asked me during the 1st interview if I had ever gotten in trouble with the law, ever gotten a speeding ticket, and have the cope ever been over to my house for "domestic issues". I had answered no to all those questions, but it turns out the cops HAD been over to my house once about a year ago, when my mother called the police on her boyfriend (whom I am not very fond of). I was not involved in any way, besides being inside the house sleeping when it happened.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

eggy in Palmdale, California

63 months ago

you're being paranoid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

eggy in Palmdale, California said: you're being paranoid.

I hope that's all it is =) haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Toddie4usa1 in Fort Worth, Texas

62 months ago

Hey you broke the first rule of having a security clearance, you have given enough information about yourself in your little post for someone to steal your identity. Use some common sense and dont blab information on the internet if you want answers to your questions go to the source, there are many ways you can email, write or call the company for information

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Toddie4usa1 in Fort Worth, Texas said: Hey you broke the first rule of having a security clearance, you have given enough information about yourself in your little post for someone to steal your identity. Use some common sense and dont blab information on the internet if you want answers to your questions go to the source, there are many ways you can email, write or call the company for information

Really? Do explain =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lockheedhack lockheedhack in Fort Worth, Texas

46 months ago

Toddie4usa1 in Fort Worth, Texas said: You think i am being funny? Security is not a laughing matter, if you are given the priviledge of having a clearance you will understand, until then i will refrain from corresponding with someone as immature as yourself

Good luck you are going to need it

Toddie4usa1, if I were you I would cease and desist posting as a LM employee to this or any other forum. It is not your job to support or defend LM, that is what corporate communications is there for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Hack apparently you do not understand this this a public forum which is monitored by many people. You dont know me or who I am or why i am here so please do not assume anything about me.

Good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

lockheedhack lockheedhack in Fort Worth, Texas

46 months ago

Toddie4usa1 in Fort Worth, Texas said: Hack apparently you do not understand this this a public forum which is monitored by many people. You dont know me or who I am or why i am here so please do not assume anything about me.

Good luck!!

I did not assume anything about you Toaddie. I just told you I would cease and desist. I also told you it was not your job to support or defend LM and that is what corporate communications is there for. Of course it is a public forum. You should have enough sense not to get involved in a public debate with ex employees in a public forum. Just my .02 cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Hack like many LM Employees I am here to post my thoughts and positions i am neither derogative or negative. This is not a public debate apparently you dont want anyone who has anything positive to say about LM to post anything. I am fully aware of what is being said. I am sorry you hate LM to the point that you dont want anything nice being said but that is something you need to deal with. Lockheed is an amazing company that has had a tremendous impact on aviation and its something i am truly proud to be a part of so deal with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

eggy in socal, California

31 months ago

Stay Cool in Washington, District of Columbia said: Hi All,
My name is Sam and I have a few questions which is kind of getting me wondering. I am currently working with a good company by end of this month or next my clearance should be complete, now here is my information:

-I have no bad criminal record, just one stop sign ticket long ago.

-I do have college/debts but due to financial hardship i am still working on the payments.

- No illegal drug usage, no criminal activity at all.
- I was asked to retire or get fired from my other employer not because I did a bad job, but because I didn't understand the work?

-My references are good though, overall no crimes clean-chit paper record.

So the question which I am getting at is, will my clearance pass or I am doomed?

what you posted sounds fine in general. they're going to want to know more about the "retire or get fired" part though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Patrick in San Antonio, Texas

7 months ago

I am due a re-evaulation on my secret clearance, so do I go back to when the clearance stop, for example, it expires in 1997, on the sf86 do I go back to 1997 and continue?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Patrick in San Antonio, Texas

7 months ago

If someone was charged with domestic violence over 20 years ago and was still able keep hers or his clearance, what happens when they have to do another investigation to continue hers or his employment?

Recruiter Bob LM in Haiti

7 months ago

Patrick, you should check with your manager or your security officer for guidance on how to complete the form correctly. Regarding the criminal charges, a lot depends on if the person was found guilty or just arrested. Criminal records are normally reviewed for every level of security clearance, so I would be prepared to discuss what happened and provide documentation.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.