traveling to meet

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

seasonederprof in Des Moines, Iowa

22 months ago

I applied online about three weeks ago. Less than 12 hours later, I received an email to schedule a phone screen two days later. We discussed the position, my background, desired salary and, albeit briefly, the relo package. I learned my desired salary was a bit high but about 10 days later, I received a follow-up message for a face-to-face with the hiring manager. Got the travel info and completed the FCRA.

So, now I'm preparing for the interview. And, by the way, the e-book written by Recruiter Bob is an *excellent* resource. It provides a great foundation for understanding Lockheed Martin's organizational structure, which is essential if you want to embark upon a career.

My questions are (a) how significant is the relatively short timeframe from online app to face-to-face? and (b) should I be encouraged by the fact that I'm coming from 1,000 miles away? I'd be relocating to a new, very desirable area.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Recruiter Bob in Chicago, Illinois

22 months ago

I'm very curious to know how your interview went! The fact that they're moving so fast is always a good indication that the hiring manager needs someone NOW, and you're obviously a strong candidate if you scored the interview without any personal connections.

Also--thanks for the kind words on my e-book! I wrote it last year to help people face some of the challenges to getting hired at Lockheed Martin, but since then it's consistently been in the top ten best-selling business books on Lulu.com! Thanks for the support, everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

eggy in socal, California

22 months ago

That you have a interview is what you should be encourage by. How far you're coming from has nothing to do with anything (travel and recruiting costs don't come from the hiring manager or project budgets, so says nothing regarding attractiveness of a candidate).

That it's moving fast either means they need someone urgently, or you just happened to have applied when they were collecting resumes and moving on them.

22 months ago

Recruiter Bob in Chicago, Illinois said: I'm very curious to know how your interview went!

Also--thanks for the kind words on my e-book!!

The interview was great. Structured panel interview and I was completely at ease (I enjoy interviewing anyway, and particularly panel interviews). However, immediately after my interview, I got very encouraging news from two other prospective employers who have positions in which I'm very interested. Those are also in very desirable geographic areas, too. Overall, the interview was a pleasant experience, although there were a couple of technical questions for which I didn't get complete answers. I'm really glad the interview gave me an opportunity to learn more about LM, which will help with making a wise decision -- for whatever organization I join.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

eggy in socal, California said: That you have a interview is what you should be encourage by. How far you're coming from has nothing to do with anything (travel and recruiting costs don't come from the hiring manager or project budgets, so says nothing regarding attractiveness of a candidate).

That it's moving fast either means they need someone urgently, or you just happened to have applied when they were collecting resumes and moving on them.

Thanks for your response.

Bikramkid in Mountain Top, Pennsylvania

22 months ago

Hi everyone- I submitted my resume for two positions with LM about a month and a half ago. I heard nothing until two weeks ago when I got an email from a recruiter telling me to apply online for a position for which I had not originally submitted. I did and a few days later I got another email asking salary requirements, openness to relo, etc. Last week I get a call to travel across the country for a face to face interview. I didn't even go through a phone screen. Needless to say I was blown away by this but obviously said I would be there. My interview is about two weeks away and I am feeling pretty anxious. Any thoughts on why they wouldn't bother to phone screen me?

Also, Recruiter Bob, I can't find your book on lulu... can you provide me with a link.

Thanks for any advice.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.