trying to get into Aerospace/Defense Engineering Industry as a new graduate

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

df dfd in Manitoba

72 months ago

Hello, i am a Canadian citizen that has recently graduated from an Engineering Physics (Bachelor's degree) program from an accredited university. I have knowledge and entry level experience in the following (through internship/co-op terms and academics):

-controls systems / autonomous control
-robotics
-computer vision / machine vision / image processing
-optical engineering (lasers / optical sensor systems)
-programming (C, C++, matlab)
-microcontrollers / embedded systems

I am looking to get into any north american aerospace and defense companies, while there are opportunities in Canada, there are much more in America. The problem is that many American Aerospace/Defense companies only accept people with US citizenship, many times while applying online this fact is not made clear, some positions will list US citizenship requirements while others do not. For instance, Raytheon, i know for a fact only takes people with US citizenship, however some positions listed do not list this requirement while other positions do.

A website that points out the exact citizen status requirements would be greatly appreciated

The second main issue i have discovered is that many of the big aerospace companies (Raytheon ,Northrop Grumman ,Lockheed Martin) have a so called "black hole" job application system... meaning applying online will almost guarantee no response whether i meet the job requirements or not. It has been suggested many times that the best way to get into this industry is through referral, which to me is very discouraging. Trying to attend aerospace job fairs would probably be my only hope to get in touch with someone who will actually read me application and evade the online filtering.

That being said, does Lockheed Martin accept non-US citizens in engineering jobs, and if so what is the best way to make my job application stand out?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Amateur User in Rapid City, South Dakota

68 months ago

I think the best way is through networking. Try to get in touch with anyone that is already working in the company that u r applying for, and as far as I have seen, Lockheed IT department did sponsor h1b work visa last year, but not sure if they do for other sectors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.