Loomis Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Loomis?

What do you like best about working at Loomis? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

Winger in Waterbury, Vermont

87 months ago

I called on a Loomis-Fargo Armed ATM Technician job and I was told the it required a 10 hour work day and a 50 hour work week and they pay no overtime only straight time. How can that be? The starting pay was 12.00hr which was less than I was making working Security. I was shocked! How can any company not pay any overtime pay after 40 hours? I thought it was a federal law? That was enough for me, I didn't take the job. She also told me Securitas owns the company now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Johnny in Clifton, New Jersey

73 months ago

As an armed guard do you have to buy your own gun or do they supply you with one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

ironman7781

68 months ago

You have to buy your own gun. They tried to get me to carry one in the worst way and when that happened, I freaked out. They're cheap too. You have to twist arms to get a raise and in those four years, I only got one raise. They treat their employees like crap too. For those who even try to make it with those guys, take it from me. Loomis is the very last place anyone should work for. They're the worst.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

louie48 in San Antonio, Texas

60 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Loomis?

What do you like best about working at Loomis? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

I recently quit Loomis. I'll try to be as fair as possible. First of all, hourly wages depend on location. I started at 10.00/hr in Albuquerque and (with a small raise in considered), I "jumped up" to $11.15/hr. in San Antonio. You DO get a little extra if you have an OTR license (or "airbrake" license). Everyone is armed and you do have to buy your own weapon and gear, but the will give you an interest free, pay roll deduction loan for the weapon and the same holds true for body armor. Uniform shirts are provided. After the first raise (after 90 probation), raises come every year and they ARE, in fact, .25 cents. In Albuquerque ans San Antonio, most routes run anywhere from 10 to 12 hours a day. You DO NOT get overtime over 40 hrs, only after 60hrs and yes, that is because Loomis is considered and "Interstate Carrier" and is therefore exempt from the 40hr/OT "rule" of thumb.
It is a tough job at times and it is always dangerous. I am a retired police officer,so I know a thing or two about risk aversion and risk assesment. At both branches, and I believe this is because turn over is so high, you treated both with distain and a little bit of contempt. Think of that tv show "Deadiest Catch" without the turbulent seas or the high pay. The writer that discussed turn over even at the management level is entirely correct. Prior to starting a career in law enforcement I was a supervisor at Wells Fargo armore which became Loomis. The difference is night and day. Management is a revolving door situation at Loomis. GENERALLY SPEAKING, management does not care about you as an employee. These guys are almost entirely profit driven. It's a little alarming. I'll post more if anybody wants to know more. Forgive the typos!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

fattomtom in Dallas, Texas

58 months ago

i would love to know more i started the interveiw process with loomis on december 16th i have passed the poly and the road test they did my background and yet the have only told me that they have gave my portfolio to the management and to corp. as its almost feb. i was wondering if this is the norm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

zzajtbone in Pittsburg, California

57 months ago

I used to work for Loomis. I left a full time job for a full time job at loomis. Any current employee knows where I used to work. After one month on the job, the branch manager and H.R. manager (from another branch) had me sign paperwork for part time only status. Fattomtom you better read this! Part timers are treated as a sub-human species and God forbid if you make any type of error no matter how minor. Management can't really touch full timers but they do make themselves annoying. Generally, there is NO communication either to the staff or to anybody, all hourly employees firmly believe the management are either inept, not qualified or on a power trip that needs intervention from a health care provider. There is only one management person who I think is qualified for the job. Wow, you get $1 more an hour once you are trained to jump. It's just a dead-end job with no opportunity to advance. So, if you are happy doing the same thing day after day for 20 plus years, this job is for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

joker7041 in Honolulu, Hawaii said: I currently work for Loomis in Hawaii and I gotta tell you I am pleased. You now start at 12.00hr and earn an extra 1.00 when you get certain licenses i.e Type 4 w/airbrake and pistol license to carry. You earn about .25 a year for a raise. The pay could be better but I work 4 days a week and 10 hours a day which is awesome if you ask me. Oh yeah anything over 40 hrs is overtime....thats the LAW! If you don't mind hardwork then Loomis might be for you.

You should get transferred to CA. You get 40 cents an hour raise each year and the pay is higher here than there. Be prepared though to deal with annoying imbecilic co-workers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

joker7041 in Honolulu, Hawaii

52 months ago

Wow, I just happened to stumble upon this old comment I made almost three years ago when I worked at the Loomis Honolulu Branch. I can honestly say that I thouroughly enjoyedmy time there. I have since moved to NY and when I inquired about working at Loomis here, the pay rate was much lower and you were required to obtain a pistol license prior to being selected for employment.
I guess every Loomis branch is different but it is best to take the advice of the guys that have been there awhile. Like I said, I really enjoyed and sometimes miss my old job at Loomis in Hawaii. It was great having my own route and being out and about all day. Sure, my route was sometimes demanding...i'e. coin delivery/pick ups and such, but I will always miss it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Hernan in Caguas, Puerto Rico

47 months ago

louie48 in San Antonio, Texas said: I recently quit Loomis. I'll try to be as fair as possible. First of all, hourly wages depend on location. I started at 10.00/hr in Albuquerque and (with a small raise in considered), I "jumped up" to $11.15/hr. in San Antonio. You DO get a little extra if you have an OTR license (or "airbrake" license). Everyone is armed and you do have to buy your own weapon and gear, but the will give you an interest free, pay roll deduction loan for the weapon and the same holds true for body armor. Uniform shirts are provided. After the first raise (after 90 probation), raises come every year and they ARE, in fact, .25 cents. In Albuquerque ans San Antonio, most routes run anywhere from 10 to 12 hours a day. You DO NOT get overtime over 40 hrs, only after 60hrs and yes, that is because Loomis is considered and "Interstate Carrier" and is therefore exempt from the 40hr/OT "rule" of thumb.
It is a tough job at times and it is always dangerous. I am a retired police officer,so I know a thing or two about risk aversion and risk assesment. At both branches, and I believe this is because turn over is so high, you treated both with distain and a little bit of contempt. Think of that tv show "Deadiest Catch" without the turbulent seas or the high pay. The writer that discussed turn over even at the management level is entirely correct. Prior to starting a career in law enforcement I was a supervisor at Wells Fargo armore which became Loomis. The difference is night and day. Management is a revolving door situation at Loomis. GENERALLY SPEAKING, management does not care about you as an employee. These guys are almost entirely profit driven. It's a little alarming. I'll post more if anybody wants to know more. Forgive the typos!!

Hey hi there

I just got a quiestion maybe someone can help me=In loomis the Messenger get paid more than the driver??And does loomis gives a commision per branch stop or per atm stop??Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hernan in Caguas, Puerto Rico

47 months ago

joker7041 in Honolulu, Hawaii said: Wow, I just happened to stumble upon this old comment I made almost three years ago when I worked at the Loomis Honolulu Branch. I can honestly say that I thouroughly enjoyedmy time there. I have since moved to NY and when I inquired about working at Loomis here, the pay rate was much lower and you were required to obtain a pistol license prior to being selected for employment.
I guess every Loomis branch is different but it is best to take the advice of the guys that have been there awhile. Like I said, I really enjoyed and sometimes miss my old job at Loomis in Hawaii. It was great having my own route and being out and about all day. Sure, my route was sometimes demanding...i'e. coin delivery/pick ups and such, but I will always miss it!

What company is bettein benefeits Dunbar or Loomis??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RH in Kingman, Arizona

35 months ago

Pay is about average for the industry and I rarely had a problem with pay issues. They DID pay overtime for hours over 40 per week , at least at my branch. What the others said about Loomis not paying OT does not surprise me too much though. Whatever they can get away with , they will keep doing regardless of legality or ethics.
Bonuses are dependent upon branch performance and maintaining the margin set for your branch. They used to be OK but they will monkey with the figures by various means. The method they used at my old branch was to fold us in with another much larger branch so that despite our excellent performance in terms of not having vehicle accidents and maintaining route efficiency , we rarely saw a bonus after being lumped in with the larger less efficient branch.

Medical benefits were decent. We had United Healthcare and it was administered well by HR. They offered vision and dental as well though I never elected them. The 401k was so-so. Matching was minimal but thats about the norm now.

There were no other benefits to speak of. No company parties , no christmas bonus , no NOTHING.

The safety issues are what drove me out. Management thinks that they are FedEx , UPS , or some other company that is not in the currency transportation business. They take a LOT of shortcuts and break most of their OWN security rules . I wont specify which because this is a public forum but ...you're going to have to trust Me on this. There are a lot of good people working for Loomis and I would not divulge anything here that could put them at risk. Just be advised that there are much better , and SAFER , places to work than Loomis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

To RH and anybody else. The most annoying element of the Loomis branch I worked for: The cameras in the vehicles. If some dummy slams on his brakes in front of you, obviously you have to do the same, the camera starts recording. Smile big when this happens. The new vehicles have three cameras inside. Management then brow beats you to find out why. Loomis's competitors do not have inside cameras because those companies trust their emps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anarchybuttruth in san jose, California

35 months ago

Loomis does pay out overtime but I do not know if this is true for all branches but their following of DOT rules and safety at certain levels leaves much to be questioned. Yes their medical ins sucks but dental and vision is ok....their loaner weapons are antiques and the bullets for them might not work at least the ones I have seen.
They dont want to give out raises commenting the state of the economy....as I have not seen a raise in 3 years...they defy the union and go so far as to plot how to thwart any union demands. They seem to want the employees to work hard and not give much in return in addition piling additional work loads making it unsafe for workers due to fatiguing them.
Bottom line from my experience : Better off picking up garbage than working for these slave masters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jersey Boy 8 in Damascus, Maryland

33 months ago

I currently work for the Loomis branch right outside of DC, and believe me, I am doing anything I can to get out of there!
I have been an employee there about four years now, and all I can say is this job is THE MOST stressful and backwards job i've ever had in my life. I have stayed there up until this point mainly because the hours accommidate my social life activities and such and I don't have to work weekends. But my entire tenure with the company up until now has been nothing but constant stress, mainly because of imcompetent management that can care less about you as a person. I thought this was a main problem just as my branch, but based on reading these other entries, I see it is a nationwide problem.
Flat out, the management team can care less about any of its employees, thus leads to a huge turnover rate. There is absolutly no communication between management and its carriers, and it's extremely frustrating. The management giving its carriers new stops/ATM's out of the blue without even directions on how to get to the stop is a norm. Their training program is a joke...especially when it comes to being trained on ATM's. There are quite a few different types of ATM's out there as far as software setup, so anybody would need proper training on them. But according to management, if you get trained on a couple different types of ATM's, then you're trained to do them ALL even if you have no idea what you're doing with ones you're not trained to do.
When it comes down to it, all this company cares about (and management in particular at the local branches) is getting the work done by what ever means necessary...even if that means putting your in an even more dangerous situation than you're already subjecting yourself to. This job is really no different from a USPS mail carrier, or the Pepsi guy delivering soda to your local food mart when it comes to the concept of the job itself. But unlike them, you carry a gun for a reason, and this company can care less.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sebastian in Garner, North Carolina

33 months ago

I called about a job at Loomis and when they called me back, among other things they told me that since North Carolina is a "non union state" (I don't know if that's true but it sounds like BS to me) they don't pay overtime as time and a half as it's supposed to be by law. I'm going to be calling the NC Department of Labor to find out if that's true. Regardless of that, after seeing the comments here about the working conditions, I'm going to stay away from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

another day in paradise in Minneapolis, Minnesota

32 months ago

Robo1964 in Houston, Texas said: That's a load of crap!
As a long time employee of the company I speak the truth.

Loomis does not pay over time and a half. They claim the federal government grants them an exemption.

Also, there are no worthwhile raises beyond the 5th year.
There is extra pay for having certain licenses.

And, yes... It is mandatory to work 5 days / 50 hours per week. It is frequently more than that. The company does not let anyone work 4 days a week.

There is no job protection or unions. The healthcare we have is rated as the worst in the industry.

Workplace injuries are common. I am one of the few who hasn't been held up by robbers.

And, the company doesn't unconditionally pay for your funeral if you get killed.

Moreover, it is the 4th most likely job to be killed at work according to Men's Health Magazine -- most dangerous jobs feature.

man sucks for you guys in tx we get paid overtime but other than that yup this job eats away at your soul

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Former Employee in Kingman, Arizona

32 months ago

Find somewhere else to work. This company is going forward with plans to expand the use of ONE MAN ROUTES. A few years back they removed the guard (3rd man) for all ATM routes and now they are taking the next step. Avoid working for them if you value your life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

To "former emp in Kingman, AZ.

OMG!!!!!! I was working for Loomis when they implemented the 2 man only on ATM routes, now one man???? Somehow I am not surprised. I'm sure this will be implemented in all branches eventually. Saves money right? Who cares about human life? It's the almighty dollar that rules!!!!!

Former Employee in Kingman, Arizona

32 months ago

Yep. I'm so glad I'm out of that place. EVERYONE I know who no longer works there is happier now. EVERY... LAST... ONE !.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pisan in Detroit, Michigan

32 months ago

Robo1964 in Houston, Texas said: That's a load of crap!
As a long time employee of the company I speak the truth.

Loomis does not pay over time and a half. They claim the federal government grants them an exemption.

Also, there are no worthwhile raises beyond the 5th year.
There is extra pay for having certain licenses.

And, yes... It is mandatory to work 5 days / 50 hours per week. It is frequently more than that. The company does not let anyone work 4 days a week.

There is no job protection or unions. The healthcare we have is rated as the worst in the industry.

Workplace injuries are common. I am one of the few who hasn't been held up by robbers.

And, the company doesn't unconditionally pay for your funeral if you get killed.

Moreover, it is the 4th most likely job to be killed at work according to Men's Health Magazine -- most dangerous jobs feature.

I've never worked an armored car before but I've worked security for some years. What I don't understand is you guys are transporting and protecting quite a bit of money for whom ever, you would think that you guys would make more than cops, you're risking your lives and you're a freaking target while your doing it. If the company shared a fourth of that money with you guys I'd bet you'd make more than 50,000 a year easy. You're transporting money in a horrible economy you should be making a 100,000 each and they started robbing armored cars years ago when the movie "Heat" came out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Me559 in Madera, California

19 months ago

I started with a Loomis California branch in 2005. I'm on my 3rd branch manager, 3rd operations manager, 4th mechanic and I've seen countless "guards" come and go.

Depending on which city you're in your starting wage will vary. Not all branches operate under the DOT overtime regulation. We recently adopted it after several other tactics were employed to alter overtime. Initially we were under the traditional 5/8s like most people. Then we switched to a 4/10 hour day work week. It was met with resistance but I felt that most of us adapted to it and began to like it. Some greedy employees stirred the pot and got the corporate HR people, local labor board and and lawyer involved and turned the whole thing on it's head. Now we operate under the DOT regulations.

I've had it with this damn company! Even when I was frustrated with the BS, I remained optimistic and eventually some opportunities came my way. Admittedly I've had it better than most the other guys but I also worked to create those opportunities. I've worked in every department and operation we have, got a commercial license for the OTR truck, trained guys, helped on special projects and so on. Despite this, I can't even make $40K a year with some overtime. I don't even know what my official title is which I'm not sure how to feel about that. They like that I have the responsibilities of a supervisor but I'm classified as route personnel so I still fall under the DOT overtime regulations. This is one of the big reasons why I'm quitting. They will take advantage of your willingness to work.

Management is disconnected from the core group of employees and it truly is an "every man for himself environment." No one looks out for your best interests so you'd better do it yourself. There are no career opportunities unless you are able to get into a corporate level job. Heads roll at the branch level so even if you're a supervisor or manager, you'd better watch your back.

Smitty 6322 in Garland, Texas

16 months ago

Evil, Malevolent, Underhanded SOBs in managment. To those who stated that it's like UPS, or FEDEX with guns, they are right on except for one very important difference-at UPS or FEDEX you are a well paid and valued employee. At Loomis, you are like an indentured servant. Only one step higher than a slave. 50 hours before OT. And of course your route lead is also working in the vault so he draws double pay and then milks the route too. I was off the clock by 1700 most days, but that prevented me from making the OT. When I developed a problem with that D-Bag, I eventually transferred to a bank truck. I ended up blowing out my elbow hauling those insanley heavy carts around. Had a bone chip impinging on my nerve and was told by the company quack to put an elbow pad on and get back to work. The washed out San Diego Chargers Redshirt who ran our branch tried to act like he cared about you but then would talk about other employees in front of you. I walked past the safety manager's office one day and saw her spinning around in her office chair on her knees yelling "yippee, yippee, giddyup horsie!" And this was the person who would make YOU go take a drug test if someone ran into your truck. The former "green beret" who was in charge of the routes was inept and tiny. I was a straight leg when I was in and dang sure more competatnt. Luckily someone's BS meter pinged red and they fired him. The last straw was when I was pressured to quit my P/T job as a police officer in order for one of the route sups to make himself look good. I told him to stick it and invited him to step outside so I could explain to him my feelings. Naturally he declined and I never looked back. Meant to be a bit humorous, but the funniest part is it's all true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Me559 in Madera, California

16 months ago

That's hilarious... I thought our branch was the only one that does the ATM training like that. They'll send a guy on route with a sheet of written instructions and if he finishes the route they say, "He's good to go, put him on the ATM route for next week."

Then, when the poor sucker screws something up they'll still write him up for it because he was "trained."

brvo in Idaho

15 months ago

The pay is crap a little above minimum wage you are risking your life
and you get treated like crap, and they want you to do your route
as fast as you can so they can pay you less hours.

brvo in Idaho

15 months ago

Smitty 6322 in Garland, Texas said: Evil, Malevolent, Underhanded SOBs in managment. To those who stated that it's like UPS, or FEDEX with guns, they are right on except for one very important difference-at UPS or FEDEX you are a well paid and valued employee. At Loomis, you are like an indentured servant. Only one step higher than a slave. 50 hours before OT. And of course your route lead is also working in the vault so he draws double pay and then milks the route too. I was off the clock by 1700 most days, but that prevented me from making the OT. When I developed a problem with that D-Bag, I eventually transferred to a bank truck. I ended up blowing out my elbow hauling those insanley heavy carts around. Had a bone chip impinging on my nerve and was told by the company quack to put an elbow pad on and get back to work. The washed out San Diego Chargers Redshirt who ran our branch tried to act like he cared about you but then would talk about other employees in front of you. I walked past the safety manager's office one day and saw her spinning around in her office chair on her knees yelling "yippee, yippee, giddyup horsie!" And this was the person who would make YOU go take a drug test if someone ran into your truck. The former "green beret" who was in charge of the routes was inept and tiny. I was a straight leg when I was in and dang sure more competatnt. Luckily someone's BS meter pinged red and they fired him. The last straw was when I was pressured to quit my P/T job as a police officer in order for one of the route sups to make himself look good. I told him to stick it and invited him to step outside so I could explain to him my feelings. Naturally he declined and I never looked back. Meant to be a bit humorous, but the funniest part is it's all true.

Sounds familiar you are treated like crap and I have sore elbows too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.