What's the company culture at Lowe's Companies?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (40)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Lowe's Companies?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Lowe's Companies?

Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Charlotte, North Carolina

93 months ago

I recently applied at Lowe's but have not heard from them. The interview was very laid back and I felt very confortable and feel that it went well. But now I want to know, what it is to work for them. By word of mouth, I have only heard good things about Lowe's. Is this true? I am interested in them because they are not a "flashy, trendy" company. I look forward to working for Lowe's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Wheelersburg, Ohio

92 months ago

I've been with Lowe's in Wheelersburg, OH now for almost a year. We have had some problems with our Store Manager but that happens and you get over it. Overall, Lowe's is an excellent place to work. I've found that if you stay in one place too long, you less likely to be noticed. Show your stuff all over the place. Put in requests for consideration and make yourself known. I really enjoy working with Lowe's and the other's they employ. I strongly recommend anyone to work for this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

lowesblowes in Burnham, Maine

91 months ago

CSA = Gofer
Management = Whipcracker
Customer = Money

Repeat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

William in Millersville, Missouri

90 months ago

I have worked at Lowe's as a cashier now for almost 5 months. It is truly awful, and all because of the head cashiers. They take what could be a fun and laid-back job and turn it into a stress factory. It isn't enough that you are there on time every day and do well at your job, they will always find something to complain about..they have a rule for everything! I have worked retail for over 15 years, and I have never worked for a company this strict and uptight before.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Endicott, New York

89 months ago

I worked for Lowe's. I enjoyed being there. The people I worked with were great. That is the only place that I have worked that I can truly say that I liked EVERYONE I worked with. My boyfriend has been there for 7 years and still loves his job. I only left because I was in school getting my degree in Criminal Justice and went on to pursue that career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Indyguy in Indianapolis, Indiana

87 months ago

I've been in retailing over 20 years. I find that almost all retailing is stressful. There is a chain of command of yelling at people. The shareholders yell at the CEO and down the chain it goes to the lowest person employed. Unfortunately that's just part of retailing and so many other fields. My advice: go to school and become a nurse or engineer:They'll always be needed and appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

pam in Snohomish, Washington

87 months ago

Am thinking seriously about working at Lowes in Mt. Vernon. Any feedback is appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

johnnybgood in Wilson, North Carolina

87 months ago

Has this position been posted for 5 months? The first poster apparently had an interview, but I'm wondering if it was for this position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

pam in Snohomish, Washington

87 months ago

Hi-

I have one of those situations where I was in the Mt. Vernon (WA) store, and the person helping me suggested that I apply. I have a specific department in mind, as my schooling is related to a Master Gardening cert.
I asked 3 people in the store today about the working conditions there, and the opinions ranged from "I look forward to coming to work still after 6 yrs," to "It's a job." So, I'm really looking for information as to vacation time accruel, potential for growth, management gripes/compliments-all of the aspects that in my 20's I never questioned; and now at 53 I think I should know in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Hamilton, Ontario

87 months ago

Hi
need some feedback,as you can see I'm in Canada I've been with the Home Depot for 10 years and loved it until Lowes decided to come to town ,Our (Home depot) level of customer service has gone to the craper, hours have been cut .Customer service is what I do ...I'm so unhappy with what we're not doing for the customer that I'm thinking of leaveing and joining lowes.It appears they have the corner on customer service ... I'm not getting warm& fuzzie from some of the coments.All I want to do is have the tools to provide great customer service .
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Concerned Manager in Huntersville, North Carolina

84 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Lowe's Companies?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

Corporate HQ in Mooresville, is relaxed, yet very professional. It is a business casual. The stores and the distribution centers are casual, mainly jeans and appropriate shirts.

A lot of people from various departments get together outside work for drinks and sports teams. Lowe's is also very civic-minded. Very much into charities like Habitat and United Way in various locations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Niel Fernandez in Anchorage, Arizona

81 months ago

I've been with Lowes a while now, posted to several stores. Basicaly they are a good company to work for. The Store MGR is the key however. While there is a corporate policy for everything the S.M. can act like GOD and change or modify most anything they want.

Before you do anything, check the policy for what you want to do, when employeed you have access to all the policies from any computer terminal in the store. If you go against policy and some one wants you gone they will toss you out for not following even the most minor rule. If you want to change anything make sure you know what you want to change too, not just that you want change. Then get PROOF and document why your way would be better for Lowes corp or at least better for your Distric. Store level only don't even try to change they will kill you.

The nice thing is that if you follow the rules, policies, and procedures they can't get upset with you even when things fail and you don't make Sales or Profit plan. Just be ready with the policy you were following (Sighting it by # will shut them up faster than trying to quote it.) If your SM is breaking policy and it is hurting you, there are several way's to report it that make sure the MGR can't make your life wores.

MGR's are no longer required to work 50 hours it's now 48 for Zone, Admin and Sales MGR's and 60 for Operations and Store MGR. LP and HR only work 40 even though they are salary. Corporate rotations never have you close and then open next morning but some MGR's "edit" schedules to make you do that. If you complain it will stop for a while then they go back to doing what they like. Dept MGR's are now hourerly and get paid overtime as do all hourly employee's.

I make less in wage with Lowes than my last employer but when we have a good year Bonus makes up for that. Even the lowest leval associate is ellagable for Bonus at Lowes based on safety, inventory, sales, profit ect. The higher you go the more bonus you can get.Good company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Niel Fernandez in Anchorage, Arizona

81 months ago

Of course as with all retailers the hours they tell Managment they are required to work is the minimum you can expect. Reality is about 20 more than they tell you.

However there is plenty of opertunity to advance as far as you want to go, with or without a degree, or prior experance. They will pay to train you.

Like I said above, I don't make as much of a wage with these guy's but they are honest (well except for a few individuals) and they TRY to do the right thing for everyone, employee, stock holder and community.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Scott HUGHES in Cincinnati, Ohio

80 months ago

I work for the Western Hills Lowes located in Cincinnati, Ohio. Lowes is a great place to work. They offer great oppertunity to advance. You are required to take class throughout your career with them. They offer you every chance to grow with them. They are customer forcused. Most of the complaining you hear about Lowes comes from people that, well thats what they do. It is what you make of it. I can understand if you have a bad manager that life can be made hard. At that point having a close relationship with God helps. Great benifits, insurance, 401k, discount shares on lowes stock. They just changed the rule, employees are eligable for vacation after 6 months. You can use it even if you havent earned it yet. So you can use your full vacation for that year after 6 months. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mark in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

vicki in Palmdale, California said: I worked for Lowes for 6 yrs,as long as there is good management in your paticiular store it could be ok..There are long hours my store some employees were made to stay until midnite and then be back at the store at 5 a,m, to work, management is key......alot have major power trip.I would not recommend anyone work there.Your ideas are not welcome ,it;s your way or the highway .it is corporate America at its finest.if you're looking for good benefits ,they are good,but eventually,the atmosphere of the particular store will get to you,you are just a nunber to them
I work for Home Depot and whats the diff....I hate them.....E mail me cant say what I want on here......markklamer@sbcglobal.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

LOWES NO WAY in long island, New York

64 months ago

I recently took a job, part time, for Lowes. EVERYONE has to do training, which means hours and hours on the computer. Safety training to operate huge equipment and machinery.. regardless of your job. It's incredible..they are intimidating and for a part time job, and at the rate of pay they offer, they must be kidding. I absolutely hate it. It's no place for white collar workers, that's for sure. Their break room is full of junk food vending machines, and garbage. they have huge crates to unpack, and heavy stuff to lift. If you're strong and don't care what you're doing, then this is for you. As for me? I quit.
Don't think you're going to go there and get any fast part time job. It doesnt' exist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Lowe's Companies?

YOu have to dress like you are going to work in your back yard in dirt. It's a dirty filthy job. YOu are unpacking crates of product, sweeping, whatever it takes. The merchandise is filthy dirty so if you move anything or re-stock your hands will be filthy. Expect to be opening boxes, carrying heavy items, and being completely 100% controlled by your manager. No walking around and talking with anyone. You'll be reported. 10 min breaks are watched closely and if you're not back on time, you'll be paged. You want a totally controlling environment, Lowes is your place. Hours and Hours of computer training classes to meet their safety standards, and then you can learn to operate this enormous LOUD scarey compost machine when you break up boxes. After that, all departments have product that needs stocking, boxes that need opening with box cutters, and one girl showed me a cut she had on her hand from a box cutter, 10 stitches she got for that. The equipment you'll have to learn to use is incredbiel. Rollers, Forklifts, 12 foot ladders, you'll be expected to get on and climb to in order to save stock or get something down for a customer. It's a warehouse type of environment, so if you think you'll be wearing your Sunday Best and makeup for this job, save it until you go to Church. This job is jeans, and short sleeves because when you get done, you'll be a sweaty mess. It's a totally disgusting job and only for the thick skinned, and very rugged. I'm not that rugged. I'd say people who have years of construction, contractors and etc experience are the best for this job. And if you're smart, apply elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

No 'OFFICE ENVIRONMENT" at Lowes. It's all blue collar, and warehouse.
Be Prepared! Sneakers, steele toed shoes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

There are no happy hours at Lowes. most of the employees hate each other. There is plenty of gossip, and if you think you're going out on a Friday Night with some 'friends' from Lowes.. you'll be sorely surprised. These people aren't that caliber!! They have no or little social skills and if you think you're going to have a 'nice' conversation with them, forget it. These are blue collar all the way.
Lowes hires alot of people getting out of prison, so if you can decipher THAT mentality, then you have a pretty good idea what it's like to work at Lowes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

Julie709 in Whitehall, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

LOWES NO WAY in long island, New York said: There are no happy hours at Lowes. most of the employees hate each other. There is plenty of gossip, and if you think you're going out on a Friday Night with some 'friends' from Lowes.. you'll be sorely surprised. These people aren't that caliber!! They have no or little social skills and if you think you're going to have a 'nice' conversation with them, forget it. These are blue collar all the way.
Lowes hires alot of people getting out of prison, so if you can decipher THAT mentality, then you have a pretty good idea what it's like to work at Lowes.

Wow, that is so far from the truth I burst out laughing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

J R EWING in Biloxi, Mississippi

62 months ago

LOWES NO WAY in long island, New York said: There are no happy hours at Lowes. most of the employees hate each other. There is plenty of gossip, and if you think you're going out on a Friday Night with some 'friends' from Lowes.. you'll be sorely surprised. These people aren't that caliber!! They have no or little social skills and if you think you're going to have a 'nice' conversation with them, forget it. These are blue collar all the way.

Hey No Way,do you a want a little cheese with that whine?What did you expect RAINBOWS and butterflies.It is called a home improvement wharehouse--not boutique.Just BYB'S. Actually I hate LOW"S for much different reasons.It is the most phony,backstabbing,dishonest place I have ever seen are worked at.And most of that comes from management.Most, not all act like they are on the board of directors,making 180K OR something.All everyone is worried about is covering there butt and making sure it runs downhill.Just one big soap opra. Signed JR IS NOT DEAD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

J R EWING in Biloxi, Mississippi

62 months ago

Let me rephrase that.Im not dumping on dept. managers, for the most part they are cool.Alot like the CSA"S overworked and underappriciated.A good idea would be to clean out all the ego trippers and slackers in upper man. and promote the deserving dept. managers up.Then some good CSA'S up to dept. man. that would lift morale and give the whole store a little more energy.(HEY BIGSHOTS THAT ONES FREE,YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE REST) STAY TUNED.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Employee 584 in Medina, Texas

58 months ago

Dana in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I recently applied at Lowe's but have not heard from them. The interview was very laid back and I felt very confortable and feel that it went well. But now I want to know, what it is to work for them. By word of mouth, I have only heard good things about Lowe's. Is this true? I am interested in them because they are not a "flashy, trendy" company. I look forward to working for Lowe's.

I don't know what position you are applying for, but overall Lowe's a good company. The Corporate side of the business is a good place to be. The Distribution Network can be a hard place to work. I would avoid working in the Central region in Distribution.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Alexia Hill in Georgia

50 months ago

Dana in Charlotte, North Carolina said: scott,
i have heard good things about working with lowe's. i had be appling and one day a HR rep called me and asked me if i would be interested in a position that was posted but i had not seen. i read the job posting and it was a good fit for me. how long does it take for lowe's to get back to me about the position? i have interested and they were very pleased with me and my work history and education.

it took them a few weeks to get back to me for an interview

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unofficial Lowes Employee in Reynoldsburg, Ohio

48 months ago

Why is it when a person gets fired or quits a job they have to bash the company? Lowes isn't for everybody, but that is no reason to bash them. As for the coward LOWES NO WAY. I wouldn't exactly eat of their floors but the Lowes I have entered have always been clean, however you will have dust on inventory boxes because the stores are set up like warehouses. All Warehouses are normally dusty! Duhhhh! That's why you are to wear blue jeans and t-shirts, your red smock and given gloves when you are unloading or stocking. Maybe the fact that you do not like manual labor that's why you are bashing Lowes. What honestly did you expect???

As for all companies, Lowes is not perfect and they never claim to be, but they DO care about their customers and their employees, they treat them with the upmost respect. If the management team does not, maybe you should have turned them in? As other people have posted in here It's all about your Management Staff.If you don't have a good management staff the store will not run smoothly, customers and employees will be unhappy.

Lowes is a great company to work for..I unofficially work for them (waiting on a call back as to when I start), however; my husband has been an employee for Lowes for 7 years. Again it is what you make of it and it is all about the management team.

You can't please everybody all the time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

You are correct. It's a blue collar job and everything thing else that goes with blue collar. Rough people who have no class, no money, and no education. My one manager had been arrested like 2 times for DWI and was still on the job. They hire people who have been in jail too. SO yes, it's a job, and it's a rough job, but if you want to work it is what I said, "A job'.
They play dirty pool too with unemployment and workers comp. Keep ALL YOUR schedules and paperwork. This company hires out all their bookkeeping work, including unemployment, and they'll try all they can to screw you. Maybe it's family to some, and I guess it probably depends on the area, but for the most part, I prefer to work with people who actually have a working mind. Rough work and you are expected to do it ALL! God Bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

K615 in North Wilkesboro, North Carolina

41 months ago

My husband works at Lowe's in the corporate office in Wilkesboro, NC, where they kept their call center after the move to Moorseville. He started on the phones six months ago, but is now a staffing coordinator, and he loves it. I go over there a lot and visit and it is super laid back, business casual attire. The best thing is you can't really complain about "the things they do @ Corporate" because you are part of corporate. My mother retired from there after 30 years, and right before she retired her job moved to Mooresville, so she made the commute for a few months and said it is soo beautiful, but can be somewhat stressful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Employee in Oceanside, California

40 months ago

You're all funny. Lowes is a awesome place to work IF YOU ARE WILLING TO WORK.

All you social butterflies need not apply to this company. Its a task based job with customer service. you clock in TO WORK NOT PILE UP TOGETHER AND CHAT ABOUT YOUR LIFE.
I hate how people cry so god damn much these days about working. I'm HIGHLY disappointed in my generation every time some one askes them to work they cry,moan and complain. And for you people complaining about "Lifting" IT CLEARLY states in the paperwork you are required to lift 50+lbs depending on your spot in the store.

Iv been with lowes since 08, Iv seen cry babies come into a store, drop a few tears then quite. If you dont mind WORKING for your pay its awesome job. Great benefits (401k"with lowes putting in a % of what you drop in", medical, Dental)

FREE CARS and MONEY if the whole team works together.

Employees are treated AWESOME IF YOU WORK GOOD, if you "Think" you're working good but no manager has said anything then chances are you're not as good as you think you are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Employee in Oceanside, California

40 months ago

Also BTW i know this is true because iv been complimented, promoted, paid well, and praised for my work. i bust my ass and it shows, you do get PAID for how hard you work despite what these lazy slackers say. Iv seen workers get 9 dollars an hour(slackers) to hard workers making 16+. My old manager made 22 an hour as a DM!!!!!!! I'm working my way to a manager spot right now.

If you are a worked based person and want a decent pay, lowes is awesome for you

If you want to be a social butterfly and work less and dont mind less pay, Home Depot is for you.

If you have been with this company for years and your still not that high in the chain you're doing something VERY wrong. this company has so much growth and is going to continue to grow too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jenn fuller in Paradise, California

40 months ago

if the lowes sm wants you gone the hr gets one of her friends to call in or write a phony ccic and your toast. if you want to keep your job kiss ---.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

new ISC in Savannah, Georgia

39 months ago

I did about 9 months as a merchandiser (PSA- booooooring) at Lowe's, and then I moved to the Installed Sales office. I've been there for about a month.
It's fast-paced, stressful, often dirty and sometimes downright frustrating. I balance the needs of contractors, clients and management. Every day there is a new problem, and the clock is ticking.

It's like riding a motorcycle in a downpour-- it might not be pleasurable, but it's damn rewarding. You could do a lot worse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

diablo3yeshplz in Fort Worth, Texas

28 months ago

I work at Lowes now as CSA.

Though it's not a bad place to work, it certainly isnt for everyone.

It's pretty much a contractors/home improvement warehouse. You will be getting dirty, and you will be dealing with a certain type of customer ( mostly blue collar men, depending on the store area you work.) You will be using huge machinery and climbing ladders to reach/move stock on top shelves.

You won't get any training about the types of things Lowes sells, they expect you to learn about products as you work on the floor ( after you computer training)

I my personal experience, I don't really like working at Lowes. I never shopped at a Lowes before I was hired so learning the products was a bit stressful.

if your a contractor/handyman/gardener/plumber etc... then Lowes might be up your ally. But if not, and youre just looking for a simple retail job, Lowes might not be for you.

and also, if youre female, prepare to get hit on... A LOT. It's mostly dudes that work at lowes, and it's mostly dudes that shop there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

diablo3yeshplz in Fort Worth, Texas

28 months ago

Employee in Oceanside, California said: Also BTW i know this is true because iv been complimented, promoted, paid well, and praised for my work. i bust my ass and it shows, you do get PAID for how hard you work despite what these lazy slackers say. Iv seen workers get 9 dollars an hour(slackers) to hard workers making 16+. My old manager made 22 an hour as a DM!!!!!!! I'm working my way to a manager spot right now.

If you are a worked based person and want a decent pay, lowes is awesome for you

If you want to be a social butterfly and work less and dont mind less pay, Home Depot is for you.

If you have been with this company for years and your still not that high in the chain you're doing something VERY wrong. this company has so much growth and is going to continue to grow too.

I agree. It's an awesome place to work if you know youre going to stay there for a while ( even make a career out of it). Hard work is rewarded, and you can move up.

But if someone is just looking for a no brainer easy job to make some extra cash (exp: a second part-time job to supplement income from your primary job, or a job for a college student.) Lowes isn't the job your looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Peoria, Illinois

27 months ago

If you get fired from Lowe's, can you get back on? If so, how long do you have to wait to be able to be rehired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lowes Employee 4+yrs in Oceanside, California

27 months ago

Cindy in Peoria, Illinois said: If you get fired from Lowe's, can you get back on? If so, how long do you have to wait to be able to be rehired?

6 months

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lowes Employee 4+yrs in Oceanside, California

27 months ago

diablo3yeshplz in Fort Worth, Texas said: I work at Lowes now as CSA.

Though it's not a bad place to work, it certainly isnt for everyone.

It's pretty much a contractors/home improvement warehouse. You will be getting dirty, and you will be dealing with a certain type of customer ( mostly blue collar men, depending on the store area you work.) You will be using huge machinery and climbing ladders to reach/move stock on top shelves.

You won't get any training about the types of things Lowes sells, they expect you to learn about products as you work on the floor ( after you computer training)

I my personal experience, I don't really like working at Lowes. I never shopped at a Lowes before I was hired so learning the products was a bit stressful.

if your a contractor/handyman/gardener/plumber etc... then Lowes might be up your ally. But if not, and youre just looking for a simple retail job, Lowes might not be for you.

and also, if youre female, prepare to get hit on... A LOT. It's mostly dudes that work at lowes, and it's mostly dudes that shop there.

Did you know the largest customer base for Lowe's are females?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jack Kerouac in Mclean, Virginia

20 months ago

I applied for jobs at Lowes in Chantilly, VA in March of 2012. Then I had an interview there with two people especially John L.. A few days later, I got in my email that they chose to hire someone else. I emailed John about it and he told me that they did ranking of candidates to get hired. I then applied for other jobs there and I got turned down. I told a friend who worked there about it and she told me that it is a good thing they turned you down. I am now working for Home Depot and I love it there. And I also now know the real truth about John L.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

kcm1244 in State College, Pennsylvania

12 months ago

I worked in several departments over a number of years in the State College PA store. Most fellow coworkers were very decent as were most customers and generally the work was not that bad. By far the number one problem that makes this store extremely difficult to work in is the top manager who has virtually no people skills and zero compassion toward employees. A customer could have said I stood naked on my head and he would honestly believe it. In addition employees are expected to miraculously learn stuff including complex machines and order taking with almost no training. The constant lack of proper staffing is causing so much stress on employees that everyone I know is miserable. One is constantly expected to handle more than one department at a time with 4-6 telephones to handle (a regular wireless phone, a smart phone and a desk landline for each department). So often phones are ringing, customer call bells are going off and live customers needing immediate help are all wanting at the same time causing unbearable stress to employees. Customers will then complain that service is slow or that employees are showing signs of unfriendliness and then employees get written up and even fired as I was. This could be a better place with a DIFFERENT manager - This man R.F. needs to go!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

corporateinsider in Mooresville, North Carolina

5 months ago

The original question was

"What is the office environment and culture like at Lowe's Companies? Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers? What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Lowe's Companies?"

The office/corporate side is HUGE. So don't expect the same tight-knit friendships you get with smaller companies. The turnover rate in IT is over 40% annually and has been for a long while. So don't bother getting to know anyone as either they'll be moved to another unit, they'll leave, or they'll walk you out the door for some obscure reason (seen it done to 4 people in 2 years).

There are some good people there, don't get me wrong. But vast majority? And 90% of managers? Um, no. The company cares about corporate profit and anything to drive it up including at the expense of employees. They go overboard promoting some "Lowe's Spirit" in an attempt to get everyone to buy-in blindly and work extra without being paid for it.

There are little or no after-work social events as everyone lives in a million different places. There are infrequent team luncheons and "celebrations" where everyone gets together for lunch and goofs off for 2 hours but that is not all the time.

A typical workday is FULL of meetings - over half your day - and you are STILL expected to get your 8 hours worth of work in so that means you are EXPECTED to take work home with you.

Again, there are exceptions to the rule, but the surest way to see the truth is to watch the corporate job board. It's CONSTANTLY full of positions, and you see the same positions come up frequently. It's not because everyone is getting promoted... think about it.

It is a job. It pays OK. The benefits are OK. There are some good people there. That's about it. Management says anything they can to get your "buy in" but often never follows through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.