Interpersonal relationships outside the building

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

concerned in Nashville, Indiana

91 months ago

the lowes I work at is currently having a disagreement between HR and the associates on the interpretation of the personal relationship policy. The pertinent sentence reads "No relationships are allowed between associates who would directly or indirectly report" to one another. It has, in the past been interpreted that two associates on equal footing (i.e. dept mgr and dept mgr) would be allowed to have a realtionship outside of the building, since niether of them report to each other, they are equals. SUddenly, our HR guy has decided that isn't the case, that no associate ranked team leader or above can have any kind ofr elationship, friends or otherwise, outside of the building with any other associate, regardless of the other associates ranking. We have two associates, both team leaders, who have been given 30 days to either a) both step down b)one transfer to another store c) one leave the company because the female of that twosome is pregnant with the others child. We also have 2 dept mgrs who have been in a realtionship for over 6 months who have been given the same options. Is this standard across Lowes-land? WHat is the policy interpreted as in your store???????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia

91 months ago

I have to agree with the HR guy even though I know nothing of Lowes policy. In general, it has always been understood in business that serious intimate relationships between co-workers is not a good idea. Even if you set the rules for certain levels in the organization, there is no way to determine what the future holds.

Example, say Joe, who is a supervisor is involved with Sally who is also a supervisor and then Sally gets promoted to manager. This can cause problems because Sally will not find it easy to deal with if Joe should later have to be reprimanded or fired or whatever by Sally. Knowing the possibility of this, Sally may not get her deserved promotion because they don't want to put her in that situation. Likewise, if Sally decided as Joe's manager to later promote Joe to some higher level or give him a raise in pay based on excellent performance, some in the organization may believe it was because of their relationship. It just creates a problem for the organization.

The old saying is... "Don't get your honey where you get your money." The best advice is to certainly not tell the company if you DO, for goodness sake.

Lastly... interpretation of "policy" is the prerogative of local management usually, so there is little value in trying to find precedence at other Lowes locations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Info for you in Washington, District of Columbia

91 months ago

concerned in Nashville, Indiana said: the lowes I work at is currently having a disagreement between HR and the associates on the interpretation of the personal relationship policy. The pertinent sentence reads "No relationships are allowed between associates who would directly or indirectly report" to one another. It has, in the past been interpreted that two associates on equal footing (i.e. dept mgr and dept mgr) would be allowed to have a realtionship outside of the building, since niether of them report to each other, they are equals. SUddenly, our HR guy has decided that isn't the case, that no associate ranked team leader or above can have any kind ofr elationship, friends or otherwise, outside of the building with any other associate, regardless of the other associates ranking. We have two associates, both team leaders, who have been given 30 days to either a) both step down b)one transfer to another store c) one leave the company because the female of that twosome is pregnant with the others child. We also have 2 dept mgrs who have been in a realtionship for over 6 months who have been given the same options. Is this standard across Lowes-land? WHat is the policy interpreted as in your store???????

Call Corporate Headquarters HR Dept @ 1-800-400-4104 and pose the question to them regarding the new policy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

johnnybgood in Wilson, North Carolina

91 months ago

Thanks for the info. Now I know not to apply at Lowe's if the company is that rigid. Who cares if 2 employees have a relationship outside the company? It's none of the company's business unless the 2 in question become a hinderance to normal business operations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cindy smith in Dallas, Texas

91 months ago

it all comes down to this: it is who you are in the company. some get by with breaking the policy and others don't. i worked for lowes for 9 years and had a girl who was harrassing me and threatening me and i brought it to the attention of hr and management and they all let it slide under the door. i ended up walking out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

kud of in Advance, North Carolina

84 months ago

Harrasment is a general non stop at lowes from managers trying to get in your pants to no HR in your store failure to comply with the open door policy and mangers who were demoted to a position with thier main goal to make everyone else hate thier jobs as well. I also was a victim of harrasment and I was promoted three times within the store and excelled well considering the horrible conditions I was subjected to. My harrasser refused my breaks cut my lunches and when I was promoted to an equal position as her she even made false statements that I was trying to sell pills in the store the day of my promotion. Many poeple stood up and provided written testimony that she was in fact lying and made the statement when I was promoted that she would get me fired and guess what nope management did nothing. But that wasn't everything you see this girl had a dirty attitude she was rotten all over. she threatened another employee an elderly lady Her statement was I am going to smack you. This lady went to HR and agian the Dirty rotten girl threatened her. The Lady 30 years of age of lets say Dirty Rotten quit her job because management refused to handle the situation. 3 poeple total quit because of Dirty Rottens abusive comments and bad attitude towards them. The day i was fired dirty rotten got into a confrontation with a customer the customers sister was furious and requested a manager i got that manager. Dirty rotten decided to confront me in the break room I told her she was a nasty rotten person and not to talk to me agian and I walked out she followed screaming everyone in the entire store heard her and I turned and said if you scream at me agian you will get hurt and I walked away agian she followed when i turned around the manager grabbed me pulled me into the office and the next day I was fired. I filed over 4 complaints with 4 different managers all assuring me that they could control her. Yeah right if you work at Lowes be prepared for harrasment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kud of in Advance, North Carolina

84 months ago

Wow i cannot believe you store actually abides by policy. Lowes of mocksville has married couples cheating with staff open relations between management and staff and staff on staff. I felt like i was in a meat factory

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CBC in Saint Louis, Missouri

81 months ago

concerned in Nashville, Indiana said: the lowes I work at is currently having a disagreement between HR and the associates on the interpretation of the personal relationship policy. The pertinent sentence reads "No relationships are allowed between associates who would directly or indirectly report" to one another. It has, in the past been interpreted that two associates on equal footing (i.e. dept mgr and dept mgr) would be allowed to have a realtionship outside of the building, since niether of them report to each other, they are equals. SUddenly, our HR guy has decided that isn't the case, that no associate ranked team leader or above can have any kind ofr elationship, friends or otherwise, outside of the building with any other associate, regardless of the other associates ranking. We have two associates, both team leaders, who have been given 30 days to either a) both step down b)one transfer to another store c) one leave the company because the female of that twosome is pregnant with the others child. We also have 2 dept mgrs who have been in a realtionship for over 6 months who have been given the same options. Is this standard across Lowes-land? WHat is the policy interpreted as in your store???????

Yse, it is allowed to go on! We recently had a feamle admin manager have a child with our sales manager. Equal positions maybe, but the two were having sexual relantionship while he was working at the desk in commercial area and she was that stores admin manager! No one ercieved any dicilpine. Guesss thhey broke both policies!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lowes Love in Saint Louis, Missouri

81 months ago

This admin manager also had a relantionship outside lowes with her store manager. No one is sure if either her store manager or the sales manager is the father! She told others that her store manager was having sex with her cashiers and that if he could do it, so could she! She has been with many men in every store she has ever worked in and still employeed!As a female employee, this makes me want to find another job! As females, we have to prove ourselveses, not sleep with every guy in a red vest as this admin mgr did! I am good at my job, and I dont sleep with my employees as DD did! HR, keep letting it go on, ignore it, until someone files in court for your proceting DD in St.Louis

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

windsorgirl in Windsor, Connecticut

38 months ago

CBC in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Yse, it is allowed to go on! We recently had a feamle admin manager have a child with our sales manager. Equal positions maybe, but the two were having sexual relantionship while he was working at the desk in commercial area and she was that stores admin manager! No one ercieved any dicilpine. Guesss thhey broke both policies!

wow!! see what i mean. my question is...whats the point of having a policy if you dont abide by it?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

WireNut60 in Marshall, Texas

36 months ago

I came across this site when I was researching Lowe's policy on Interpersonal Relationships. I have worked with people who once they married each other, had to work in separate store locations. In the past it was men and women. On several occasions family members of employees were turned down to work in the same store because they shared the same address, and according to our HR Manager, that is against Lowe's policy. Now currently we have a couple who are both managers, one in Inside Lawn and Garden, the other is Ops Manager in the front end. They are females who are openly united in a common law relationship. Share the same address and insurance. Not a thing is said about them needing to work in separate stores. It is unfair to those who have family that need jobs, but honor the policy and don't push the issue. We need a fair set of rules for all stores to adhere by. The OPs manager I refer to is also a backup in the HR dept. All of this unfairness is frustrating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

what you should do is contact corporate. this is very sad when people who work for a large company complain that the company does NOT follow policy on ALL employees. they don't follow the return policy either!! if investors knew how much material lowes takes back they would NEVER place stock in Lowes at all. when I worked there in returns I got in trouble for not allowing a customer to return his item he purchased two years ago and had no receipt. what in the world???!!! on top of that he didn't have warranty for the item. what I know about lowes is that if a manager gets a call from a customer to corporate with a complaint they fire them which is the reason why management didn't want me to deny the customers return. I also have been in a situation where I denied a lady returning her broom THAT WAS NEVER PURCHASED AT LOWES!! the manager on duty took a broom off the shelf knowing that it wasn't the same broom and returned it for her with her driver license just to make the customer happy!! auditors and stock owners alike WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT??? you see...thank God I have another job because I couldn't last there much longer anyways. what they did to another co-worker was sad as well. she worked a 5pm or 6pm shift since she begun working there and had exceedingly passed her 3 month training/trial period. without her consent hr and the store manager (the two who I had problems with as well) changed her shift from 5pm to 6am!! she lives on the bus line with two kids and no transportation you jerks. on top of that how in the world can someone do that to someone else? people we are not speaking of an hour difference, a two hour difference nor even three but...11!!! when I helped her write a letter explaining that she couldn't do the changed hours and it was done wrongly the store manager Michael Owens denied he had any part in it and had the audacity to ask her if she was coming into work later on that week. by the way...that was a lie because both him and the Hr rep

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

what you should do is contact corporate. this is very sad when people who work for a large company complain that the company does NOT follow policy on ALL employees. they don't follow the return policy either!! if investors knew how much material lowes takes back they would NEVER place stock in Lowes at all. when I worked there in returns I got in trouble for not allowing a customer to return his item he purchased two years ago and had no receipt. what in the world???!!! on top of that he didn't have warranty for the item. what I know about lowes is that if a manager gets a call from a customer to corporate with a complaint they fire them which is the reason why management didn't want me to deny the customers return. I also have been in a situation where I denied a lady returning her broom THAT WAS NEVER PURCHASED AT LOWES!! the manager on duty took a broom off the shelf knowing that it wasn't the same broom and returned it for her with her driver license just to make the customer happy!! auditors and stock owners alike WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT???

36 months ago

planned her schedule change. lol. to be honest I worked within lowes for 5 1/2 years. I've seen managers come and go as well as hr managers. these two who I and other people have had problems with are the ONLY managers I have really disliked and seen them do things unjustly. Hr manager who I am speaking of also told me rather than calling outside garden to verify plant returns to just TAKE BACK whatever the customer says it is on the receipt!! I told her I couldn't do that because the plant the customer may say it is truly may not be it and we could lose money!! because our store hadn't had a sufficient amount of employees working in that department her choice instead of having the customers wait was to have the company lose money and that's ok??? Michael the store manager hid roof rakes when ct had a major storm...isn't it in the policy that we are not to hide merchandise from customers unless the merchandise is actually purchased??? Furthermore why would a store have absolutely no signs up informing customers gas and propane items are prohibited from the store? so it leaves the worker to inform the customer who wants to return a gas powered item that he/she has to wait outside until help comes!! speaking of propane signs are they really big enough for people to see?? then you have customers getting upset because they have to leave their propane tank outside and angry because you told them to.

Charlotter Greenberg in Houston, Texas

12 months ago

the lowes I work at is currently having a disagreement between HR and the associates on the interpretation of the personal relationship policy.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.